• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

reservations needed to fly out of Santiago???

marniedent

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning on doing the Camino from SJPP to Santiago from mid June to the end of July in 08. Do I need to make reservations from Santiago to London in advance, or can 2 people expect to get flights on the spot??? We were hoping not to have to get locked in to a flight out, so that if we finish early we could head to Madrid or Lisbon or somewhere!!! I've heard from a friend in London that Ryanair has great deals for the holidays, so this would be the time to book if I have to. Any thoughts???

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It would make sense to book in advance - I appreciate you don't want to be tied down by a date, but I'm sure you have an idea of the date you're likely to want to fly back, and should book for then to take advantage of Ryanair's cheap fares. These fares will only go up as time goes on. All Ryanair fares are changeable - they charge an admin fee plus the difference in fare between what you originally paid and the going rate on the day you want to change it to, so it's not such a problem to change.
If you turn up on spec you always run the risk of the flights being sold out.
As well as Ryanair you could also look at clickair.com for flights from La Coruna to Heathrow.

On the subject of reservations out of Santiago. I was planning to either take a train or bus to get back to Madrid. Would I need to make a reservation prior to or can one just leave wherever,I too do not know when my camino will be done and would hate to be penalized for being late.

niel

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I arrived in Santiago - granted it was August - there was not a train to be had. Every seat was filled. The bus was filled for the next 6 hours and then it was a first come seat....with no guarantees. I met two other young women who wanted to get to Madrid and I hired a car - we split it 3 ways... I got great maps, it was a spectacular drive, quick and easy and I dropped the car in Atocha when I arrived in Madrid. For about the same price as the train ticket, I got to get back the same day...

Just remember that since everyone walks into Santiago, they need alternate transportation out! The problem with reserving the train is that in order to do it ahead of time online you need a PIN - and can only get that if you live in Europe...I tried a number of times to book Renfe online... no luck! But you can make a reservation at a ticket booth in any town that has a train station... Madrid for example before you go. I just didn't want to be that locked into a date.
Buen Camino,
Deirdre

nathanael said:
On the subject of reservations out of Santiago. I was planning to either take a train or bus to get back to Madrid.

I spent three nights in Santiago after doing the Camino. On the morning I left, I got up, had breakfast, and walked to the bus station from my hotel (a bit far, but at that point you feel you could walk to the moon and back). I found out the day before that a bus leaves from the Santiago station to Paris every Mon/Wed/Fri at 12:30 PM, and I wanted to see if I could get a ticket.

Well, I got to the station around 11AM, and checked in at the bus line's window. I was able to buy a ticket for that day's bus (a Monday) for 108 Euros. After getting a ticket, I walked back to the hotel (located down the street from the pilgrim office), packed, checked out, did some souvenier shopping, and trekked back to the station. I made it in plenty of time to catch the bus, which took about 24 hours to get to Paris.

I was probably not the most comfortable trip ever, but at least I got to experience it, and also see some of the Camino in reverse. And there was no hassles with changing trains or waiting around in airport terminals (or checking bags, for that matter). But, if you take the bus, you should avoid using the onboard bathroom when it is stopped - especially when people are standing next to the side of the bus where the commode is located...not a good way to make new friends. :shock: :oops:

In the end, when it comes to bus reservations, I suppose it comes down to available spots. And if you're on a strict timetable, then it pays to reserve as far ahead as possible. But if, like I did, you have slack time, then you can improvise, overcome, and adapt... :arrow:

I wouldn't book my flight. Try when you arrive to Santiago. Or ... you can book it in ArzĂşa, for example. Two days before Santiago. I've never found problems to do it.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ryan Air flies 4 times a week out of Santiago to Stansted and as a Low Cost Carrier changing flights after they are booked can make the "Low Cost" flight into a very expensive exercise. JM's suggestion that flights be booked nearer the time makes sense, however, the nearer the date you want to travel the more expensive it gets. If you booked a flight and need a change it would cost you 45E in administration fees to have it changed in addition to other hidden charges. You could buy insurance to cover missed flights.

Ryan Air prices as at 4th January 2007as shown on their very efficient website are for flights as follows:
Jan One Way
6 269.99 €
7 249.99 €
9 159.99 €
11 59.99 €
13 19.99 €
14 6.99 €
16 2.99 €
18 39.99 €
20 0.01 €

As an example if you were to book a flight on 4th Jan to fly out on 6th Jan from SDC to Stansted the fare would be, without tax, 269.00E. If you booked on 4 Jan to fly out on 20th Jan the fare would be 0.01E. The Ryanair website is easily accessible from any internet site, there are many internet sites on the Camino, and you could book your flights using an acceptable credit card. Also to change dates. Hope this helps.

Right now you can book a flight on Ryanair from Santiago to Stansted on July 29 for E24.41 per person. That price is low enough that you could consider it as an "insurance" flight and just cancel it if you arrive earlier and want to go home from somewhere else.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back