• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Returning from Finisterre to Santiago

JulesCAinMA

Time of past OR future Camino
04.16.23: Camino Frances, Pamplona - Leon!
A couple of days after arriving in Santiago, I want to walk to Finisterre. I plan to spend a night, or 2, and then I want to return to Santiago.
A couple of questions for those who have made this trip...
1. Is Finisterre worth a 2- night stay, or should I just stick to 1 night?
2. Is there a bus that I can book that will take me back to Santiago?
3. If so, what is the link to arrange for a bus ticket?

TIA and Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't like it when somebody responds to the OP with a change of their question but I am going to. Please forgive me.

Stay one night in Finisterre then walk to Muxia. It is a much more peaceful end to a Camino, IMHO.

I have always been able to locate a bus stop there to get back to SdC were I disinclined to walk back. (only once out of three time ;) )

[EDIT: Although the walk to Muxia is long, it is pretty level. On another level, it occurs to me that I have not been in Muxia since the Parador was built. So, more recent visitors should weigh in on Muxia's "quietness" compared to Finisterre and be given more import than my opinion.]

Last edited:
A couple of days after arriving in Santiago, I want to walk to Finisterre. I plan to spend a night, or 2, and then I want to return to Santiago.

TIA and Buen Camino

1) I guess this is a question of personal taste. IMO Fisterra is a nice city but also quite ‘busy and touristic’.

2) Yes.

3) You can book it here.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We went last September and as long as you are not arriving too late in the day, then one night should work out fine.

The bus back to SdC can be very busy but as long as you have a ticket, you are guaranteed a seat.

You can book online, but there is a small ticket booth at the bus station (it's more of a big bus stop than a station) and we bought our ticket from there, the same day we arrive in Finisterre.

Enjoy your trip

Personally i think one day can be enough, but on both my visits i had people catching up later, met friends i have not seen in weeks and so on.... so two days did not feel too long.

(on the other hand, Muxia, i would not know what to do after a single day)

edit: the bus is run by https://www.monbus.es/en

There are buses to and from Finesterre daily. If you enjoy the ocean maybe two nights. You can walk to the lighthouse which another good walk uphill to see the sunset. Also a museum in town at the old castle and an opportunity to view the fish market and auction from an overhead viewing platform. There's a small beach in town and also larger beaches as you approach while walking.

I prefer Muxia as an end point so consider walking or busing there after Finesterre. Its got a very chill vibe. The Paradore mentioned isn't right in town and I noticed no difference in the number of people there last summer. I was there 2 weeks ago and in the winter it is also pleasant and quiet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are more busses from Finisterre to Santiago and it's a great ride all along the coast. I loved it.
At the end of my last Camino for a number of reasons I spent two nights in both Muxia and Finisterre - walking to Muxia first, then a bus to Finisterre.
While there may not be a lot do 'do' I found that the days passed easily with other pilgrims or just by myself exploring the towns and surrounds, taking in the vibe, having an afternoon hot chocolate, and generally resting and reflecting. It was a special time.

TIA and Buen Camino
I walked Camino Frances last Sept and I stayed 3 nights in Finisterre. Weather was beautiful, fantastic sunsets and special time to rest and contemplate the last 30 days. Beautiful old church and daily masses was another plus for spending time in Finisterre.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back