• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rip off Restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEDGER

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hi
We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park.
They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available, claiming to be the last one before Baoina.
There are no prices displayed anywhere always a bad sign.
Two coffees,two juice and two cheese sandwiches €22.60.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi
We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park.
They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available, claiming to be the last one before Baoina.
😱

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Were they nice at least?

It's definitely priced at the higher end but freshly squeezed orange juice is usually expensive. If the portions were large and the surroundings were nice, I'd chalk it up to experience. Next time just ask how much the pilgrim breakfast costs.

Sorry that you had such a “traumatic” experience…. but even more sorry that for a few Euros/ dollars you were so concerned about being ripped off for breakfast that your energy was directed away from the beautiful coastal camino you are walking. Frankly, I would have been happy to find a place open to eat something at. And I am weary of camino walkers thinking they can get everything cheap! Next time pack a breakfast sandwich and bring a piece of fruit with you if money is an issue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi
Probably best to ask prices if none are displayed so you know what you will potentially be paying.

And I am weary of camino walkers thinking they can get everything cheap!
I agree. We are all used to having Spain be such a reasonably priced country in general compared to many others, that it can breed an expectation that everything from lodging to meals should all be a bargain, which is wrong to assume.
In the US, $22 for two decent breakfasts in a restaurant is very standard...unless you go to a fast food.

I agree. We are all used to having Spain be such a reasonably priced country in general compared to many others, that it can breed an expectation that everything from lodging to meals should all be a bargain, which is wrong to assume.
In the US, $22 for two decent breakfasts in a restaurant is very standard...unless you go to a fast food.
You can find two decent breakfasts in the US for $22?!! I need that restaurant! . Just been in USA a month and even Denny’s was coming in at $50 for two (including taxes and gratuities) for a couple of omelettes and coffee, Admittedly free refills. Even the ‘super slam’ didn’t get me below $30 for two! . I spent a month on the ‘gas station’ diet!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi
To say that this place is a rip-off restaurant is going a bit far. The next time you go to eat somewhere I would ask for the price list and if you think it is too expensive you can leave.🙏🏻

Everything is relative when comparing two differing economies.
Looking at the prices for two lattes in a well known franchised coffee chain in the UK (£9.00 or £4,50 each...call it €10) I would suggest that far from being "ripped off" or needing a "warning" the bill to include service and two fruit juices and cheese sandwiches to be very reasonable.
Gratitude and a smile costs no extra.

We are conscious of food costs on caminos, as eating out 3 times a day can add up and we try and economize where we can. So one meal that is relatively easy to economize on is breakfast. We buy fruit, and yogurt in small cups almost daily, the night before, and purchase a small bag of nuts periodically as a protein topping on the yogurt. The cost of this daily for two persons is about 5 euros. One could also purchase cereal, and perhaps share the 3-4 cost with another pilgrim. Sometimes we buy milk, but I am perfectly fine eating the cereal with water and maybe strawberries or blueberries. If one really needs to budget there are many suggestions on this forum. Please remember that restaurant owners need to make a living too!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
Chin up!
You will be fine!

You can find two decent breakfasts in the US for $22?!! I need that restaurant! . Just been in USA a month and even Denny’s was coming in at $50 for two (including taxes and gratuities) for a couple of omelettes and coffee, Admittedly free refills. Even the ‘super slam’ didn’t get me below $30 for two! . I spent a month on the ‘gas station’ diet!
Well, TM22, as I recall you were recently visiting on both our coasts in California and Florida; a different situation from me merely pointing out that in a non-touristy city in northern Illinois you can get a good breakfast at that price. There are definitely more upscale places here, as well. I always tip at 20%, the standard amount for good service. If I head into the Chicago area, prices are definitely higher.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thoughts and prayers for you. I'm confident you'll pull through this.

*editing to add: the forum isn't used as a review platform. Google maps is a more appropriate place for your motive, or whatever it is you're trying to accomplish.

Last edited:
Well, TM22, as I recall you were recently visiting on both our coasts in California and Florida; a different situation from me merely pointing out that in a non-touristy city in northern Illinois you can get a good breakfast at that price. There are definitely more upscale places here, as well. I always tip at 20%, the standard amount for good service. If I head into the Chicago area, prices are definitely higher.
Thanks…ooh sorry I wasn’t being sarcastic! I was pleased to hear that there was some value out there as I have other trips planned (even in Illinois) and keen to ‘eat better for less’ and struggled to find anything even staying at trucker motels in the middle of nowhere! Sorry if it came across wrong. I most start using emojis but my daughter says I al too old!!

On your first Camino, how many times did you leave a Café thinking they had charged too little?

Given the location and convenience. What would it cost you in London, Bath, Barnstaple or Birmingham?

For struggling student on a tight budget: a Spanish guy I walked with would pick up a glazed croissant each evening, to have with his coffee as he sat in the sun the following morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No problem, @TravellingMan22. You were not being sarcastic, but sharing your own experience.
If you are too old to use emojis then I definitely am.😭...But I don't care! I think they can add a lot and sometimes help where text can often lack a person's intentions, so I will continue using those little yellow round faces.😃

Perhaps the next time we eat it might be worth remembering on a tariff such as the one described there are other people that need to eat also. Everyone in the chain is a constituent of the final bill besides a cafe or restaurant owner.
The coffee growers, fruit growers, bakers and farmers who have provided your morning breakfast.
Not to mention the lousy few years that businesses have had to cope with along with the inflationary pressures that everyone is having to contend with.
Be grateful and thankful for the efforts that people put in to making your camino possible.

No problem, @TravellingMan22. You were not being sarcastic, but sharing your own experience.
If you are too old to use emojis then I definitely am.😭...But I don't care! I think they can add a lot and sometimes help where text can often lack a person's intentions, so I will continue using those little yellow round faces.😃
That’s fine! Yea my daughter has banned emoji and baseball caps!! Seems to be ok for females! I am not sure why I take any notice!!! Daughters eh!

Seriously tho I did stay in a Motel 6 in Indio, CA which is ‘cheapville’ and struggled to find a decent price. Don’t expect one in LA, SFO or MIA! I am a cheapskate to be fair and the ‘gas stations’ did the job!

Anyway sorry back to topic!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
HHmmm .. I am not sure. Here in Bath (UK) in the old Guildhall Market there is a cafe - really good one but 1960s style - that is the cheapest in the area ... I have been going there now and then since 1972 ... so beautifully old fashioned and a 'proper' cafe. I just checked online -
Two coffees - £3.90
Two juices - 2.70
Two cheese sandwiches - 7.30
Total of - £13.90 which in Euros is 16.25, add in the tip? and this is the cheapest in Bath, by a mile .. not that far off what you paid - but I would add in location of your cafe - you were pleased to find somewhere? last cafe for miles? and you didn't ask for the price list first? hhmmm ... well, Buen Camino.

Last edited:
HHmmm .. I am not sure. Here in Bath (UK) in the old Guildhall Market there is a cafe - really good one but 1960s style - that is the cheapest in the area ... I have been going there now and then since 1972 ... so beautifully old fashioned and a 'proper' cafe. I just checked online -
Two coffees - £3.90
Two juices - 2.70
Total of - £13.90 which in Euros is 16.25, add in the tip? .. not that far off what you paid - but I would add in location of your cafe - you were pleased to find somewhere? last cafe for miles? and you didn't ask for the price list first? hhmmm ... well, Buen Camino.
And that David is darned reasonable!
Not only would I find it impossible to find these sort of prices...I would be looking out at the miserable weather and not the glorious vistas of Spain.

Hi
@GEDGER , welcome, your first post has brought a fair number of replies!
You are from UK, as am I, originally. I am from Scotland, to be precise.
Please hang around. You will find that the quality and quantity of meals in Portugal from Porto which I have had the pleasure of enjoying are certainly worth the walking every day!
On each camino we took non perishable items - nuts, baby bel cheeses, simple plain biscuits, dried fruit, apples, bananas, whatever was useful for energy at in between stops, and that reduced daily costs, which actually depends on how you research the options on each stage. It is a while since I walked from Porto, but we usually just had dinner in the evening, the other two meals were come day go day. It was a really happy friendly experience, with the pilgrims on the same stages, and the lovely people providing the meals... may the rest of the camino go well for you.
Edit: thankfully, edit is back, my typos are abominable!😇
Edit number 2: I said you will find, maybe better to say you might..

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That’s fine! Yea my daughter has banned emoji and baseball caps!! Seems to be ok for females! I am not sure why I take any notice!!! Daughters eh!

Seriously tho I did stay in a Motel 6 in Indio, CA which is ‘cheapville’ and struggled to find a decent price. Don’t expect one in LA, SFO or MIA! I am a cheapskate to be fair and the ‘gas stations’ did the job!

Yes, prices will vary tremendously in the US. We usually look for a Sr or military discount. At Perkins, I order off the 55+ menu. Phil at age 73, insists on getting the more generous and expensive portions off the regular menu.

Some Camino breakfasts included at the albergue are, in my opinion, a rip off with a luke warm cup of coffee and a small pastry wrapped in plastic. I seldom opt for those and would rather carry a couple of hard-boiled eggs, a piece of cheese, and maybe a piece of fruit. If stopping for a second breakfast I need to avoid juice or a lot of pastries due to my type 2 diabetes.

Two coffees - £3.90
Two juices - 2.70
Total of - £13.90 which in Euros is 16.25, add in the tip? and this is the cheapest in Bath, by a mile .. not that far off what you paid - but I would add in location of your cafe - you were pleased to find somewhere? last cafe for miles? and you didn't ask for the price list first? hhmmm ... well, Buen Camino.
Yeah, but David is only 21 and has a discount student pass!

100% Agreed. Price seems fine to me. You can always expect to pay more at a food place that is linked to an accommodation provider. A nice cafe next to a budget hotel is likely to be cheaper, for example.

Quite costly to offer I would imagine. Perishable products and most of the campers I have seen seem to be people who have facilities to make their own breakfast (especially the Germans and Austrians who seem to make camping look impossibly great!).

A mate of mine was a hotel consultant and said that many hotels made more money in food and beverage than rooms. He probably meant the upscale city hotels but who knows.

Be suprised if they are making more than €2-3 per person on this!

Our son who used to work in food service indicated that breakfast was the biggested mark up/profit earner closely followed by pizza. Of course eggs and bacon (US staples for hot breakfast) have gone up tremendously in price so not sure if this is still true.

I have just been remembering two couples from the continent of Europe who walked the same stages as we did, on the CF and the CP. They NEVER ate in cafes or restaurants, they made their own meals from what they brought with them, or could replenish from supermarkets. Thanks for the reminder, they were lovely people!

Yes, prices will vary tremendously in the US. We usually look for a Sr or military discount. At Perkins, I order off the 55+ menu. Phil at age 73, insists on getting the more generous and expensive portions off the regular menu.

Some Camino breakfasts included at the albergue are, in my opinion, a rip off with a luke warm cup of coffee and a small pastry wrapped in plastic. I seldom opt for those and would rather carry a couple of hard-boiled eggs, a piece of cheese, and maybe a piece of fruit. If stopping for a second breakfast I need to avoid juice or a lot of pastries due to my type 2 diabetes.
Thanks yes. I think Europeans(very generally) maybe more frugal than USA folks and used to ‘fixed prices’ rather than ‘net prices’ to which taxes and gratuities adds a lot. My friend a couple of weeks ago wondered why a $90 dinner bill pinged up on her card as $130 when I was up at the counter putting the card PIN in. She wasn’t aware of the tax and gratuity thing. She is now!!! I tend to find USA folks alot more generous and better able to deal to deal with ‘greyness’ financially. Just my view!

I
Thanks yes. I think Europeans(very generally) maybe more frugal than USA folks and used to ‘fixed prices’ rather than ‘net prices’ to which taxes and gratuities adds a lot. My friend a couple of weeks ago wondered why a $90 dinner bill pinged up on her card as $130 when I was up at the counter putting the card PIN in. She wasn’t aware of the tax and gratuity thing. She is now!!! I tend to find USA folks alot more generous and better able to deal to deal with ‘greyness’ financially. Just my view!

It’s not about which nationality is more generous than another. At the basic level, Europeans are used to tipping for good service, rather than a practice where tipping 10% is considered a signal that the service has been terrible, and where not tipping is considered a apocalypse-inducing event. And we’re also used to taxes - in the UK VAT - being built into the pricing. The price is the price.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I don't generally view US people as more generous outside of tipping.

One adjustment i did make in my own dealings is setting a high financial threshold for something to bother me.

My due diligence is usually a quick check of Google maps to see if the place has a low score, and in tourist places to ask how much things cost in advance.

I

It’s not about which nationality is more generous than another. At the basic level, Europeans are used to tipping for good service, rather than a practice where tipping 10% is considered a signal that the service has been terrible, and where not tipping is considered a apocalypse-inducing event. And we’re also used to taxes - in the UK VAT - being built into the pricing. The price is the price.
Yes I agree with all that - the price is the price - but I do think so nations are more generous. Just my experience. And yes a concept where you add city and state taxes, but quote ‘net’ is alien to us.

Last edited:
I agree to some extent. I am extremely frugal about some things so I can spend my money on other things (like travel). I shop with coupons, look at grocery ads for sale items, and meal plan so I don't waste money or food. I always use a shopping list and usually stick with it. We seldom go out to eat any more (which is actually better healthwise for both of us) and our children with kids at home simply can't afford to go out even to a fast food place and usually bring sandwiches along to the children's' sporting events. On the other hand, I like to cook and can make something good to eat on low budget.

Yes, tipping adds about 20% to any bill and of course there is also tax which varies by locality. US food servers are usually paid some really sub-minimum wages (a few dollars an hour) so the only way for them to survive is on tips. It is very sad and while I agree with @Simperegrina, the way that servers are paid here is unlikely to change any time soon. I don't consider the tipping "greyness" and just add it in my head whenever I am looking at menu prices so I'll know how much the bill will be.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't generally view US people as more generous outside of tipping.

One adjustment i did make in my own dealings is setting a high financial threshold for something to bother me.

My due diligence is usually a quick check of Google maps to see if the place has a low score, and in tourist places to ask how much things cost in advance.
Last week I asked a local in Rome to recommend a place to eat in Trastevere.
It is a normal, local, neighbourhood eating place. I could not finish my plate, and without a word, the boss man took my plate, and gave me a box with everything, including the bread!
Online reviews began with the terrible ones, but thankfully they were far outnumbered by more balanced reviewers. If anyone wants a link, just ask!

U
I agree to some extent. I am extremely frugal about some things so I can spend my money on other things (like travel). I shop with coupons, look at grocery ads for sale items, and meal plan so I don't waste money or food. I always use a shopping list and usually stick with it. We seldom go out to eat any more (which is actually better healthwise for both of us) and our children with kids at home simply can't afford to go out even to a fast food place and usually bring sandwiches along to the children's' sporting events. On the other hand, I like to cook and can make something good to eat on low budget.

Yes, tipping adds about 20% to any bill and of course there is also tax which varies by locality. US food servers are usually paid some really sub-minimum wages (a few dollars an hour) so the only way for them to survive is on tips. It is very sad and while I agree with @Simperegrina, the way that servers are paid here is unlikely to change any time soon. I don't consider the tipping "greyness" and just add it in my head whenever I am looking at menu prices so I'll know how much the bill will be.
Sure.. the tipping landscape does seem to be changing. I remember the good old days when it was a dollar tip a drink, but now with card the recommendation seems to be 18, 22 or 25% with an option to ‘custom’ down or up. I always pay the 18% or ‘round up’ of higher as I know the folks depend on tips and the service tends to be great!!

Re generosity I just find that I have had so many times chatting with Americans at a bar and when I have gone to pay my tab, the folks have picked it up and gone without telling me!!

Hi
For every “bad” experience on the Camino (which I always chalked up to my inexperience) at least two grand things would happen elsewhere. Just wait. That breakfast will become one of those things you never remember! Take a breath, blow out the candle, and Buen Camino!!

€149,-
For every “bad” experience on the Camino (which I always chalked up to my inexperience) at least two grand things would happen elsewhere. Just wait. That breakfast will become one of those things you never remember! Take a breath, blow out the candle, and Buen Camino!!

When I walked the Portuguese Camino in 2022 I had the worst dinner experience at a place recommended by the owner of the pensión where II stayed. Overcooked, overpriced, and rude service. But the next day I had this absolutely delicious dinner at a restaurant overlooking the Tagus River.

20220512_200312.jpg

Being nosey, but why would you put every bad experience down to your inexperience. And why would you assume 2 good things would happen! The two are separate and you shouldn’t have a bad experience!

Surely the transatlantic difference is whether the staff are paid a decent wage or not. In some European cultures being a ‘waiter’ is an honourable career, and suitably paid.

I’ve had some ‘How much??!!’ moments, but vastly more ‘That’s great food at a fair price’ moments. It all evens out.

Someone just offered to clean my driveway today for £750 - that’s about 1000 € or $.
I’d clean it myself with a toothbrush for that, but at least the price was stated up front!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I walked the Portuguese Camino in 2022 I had the worst dinner experience at a place recommended by the owner of the pensión where II stayed. Overcooked, overpriced, and rude service. But the next day I had this absolutely delicious dinner at a restaurant overlooking the Tagus River.

View attachment 167674
That is a LOT of food!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Someone just offered to clean my driveway today for £750 - that’s about 1000 € or $.
I’d clean it myself with a toothbrush for that, but at least the price was stated up front!
Is that for snow removal? We had snow yesterday again (I am so ready for spring to actually appear). Otherwise wouldn't you just rent a power washer to hose it down? Seems a bit pricey unless your drive is quite lengthy and more of a lane?

Well, TM22, as I recall you were recently visiting on both our coasts in California and Florida;
AHHH Good ole Califor-ni-yey! Yup that'll do it.
Just out of curiosity I pulled up my food expenses for my camino walk (May-June 2022). Its "easy to figure out breakfast because it is the 1st "charge" of the day (that's when using CCs does come in handy.... yeah yeah I know! ;)) anyways, while majority are somewhere in the 5-7€, some 10s € have crept up. So, i guess it depends on what it was I was in the mood for at "that particular morning".

Compared further - London October 2016. before I finally checked into an accomodation where breakfast was included, we had 3 "out" on the days we were in a different accommodations. Prices (as converted to USD - dont really remember what the £ amount was) were $34.31, $28.24 & $11.94 - for 2 people and the last one was 2 coffees and 2 croissants standing at the bar counter.

Some folks (esp. from US) already mentioned tips. This is something that also could be kept in mind since in Spain you practically see no such thing. If I were to chalk up to my usual habit of 20% then the said €23 should become almost €28 or we can think that the bill when presented was only €19.00
Im not even going to mention that almost throughout US there are various State taxes added as well (some States REALLY get you at 12%!)

Someone also mentioned size. Also true. I remember one "sandwich" in O Cebreiro that would rival a steak in its size. Perhaps something similar was the case here?

So in short... to OP: I am sorry you had this experience! As many already stated - please cahlk it up to "an experience", learn from your mistake (i.e. if no prices are displayed - do ask) and simply enjoy your Camino! You may also consider buying your own provisions (also as some suggested). In the end - its not worth the time and energy wasted on aggravation - I am SURE that it is NOT while you are on Camino!

Good Luck and may Gods of Culinary Delights guide you safely to the final destination we all long for!

P.S. WAIT!!!!! You were hungry and needed something to eat! A place appeared in front of your eyes!
CAMINO PROVIDES! (nobody said it should"provide" the price display, only the food you were longing for..... :D😇)

€149,-
Being nosey, but why would you put every bad experience down to your inexperience. And why would you assume 2 good things would happen! The two are separate and you shouldn’t have a bad experience!
Being nosy. But whoever told you you wouldn’t have bad experiences? Things happen. And perhaps “bad” is not the correct adjective. Maybe I should have used “less than optimal”. Like taking a wrong turn. Walking 10 extra km because of it. Those things happen. To some of us. Or maybe I just like to think they happen to others and it’s not just me. Shoot. Maybe it is just me. And also, 2 was a random number. To be honest I had so many good experiences, the number was probably more like 50. So. Sorry I pushed a touchy button Travellingman22.

or perhaps it will be THE thing he remembers.... and laughs about

Have you priced an Egg McMuffin, coffee and oj at McDonalds lately? Probably $10 each. At least the coffees and Oj would taste good. Why do people just think everything should be cheaper on the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I hope you survived the Motel 6 in Indio. Other than that hoped you enjoyed the US.

You have been here in the US for a month and are still eating at Denny's?? Haven't eaten there in decades, and also avoid IHOP. Look for local mom and pop restaurants for breakfast.

I hope you survived the Motel 6 in Indio. Other than that hoped you enjoyed the US.
A thank you. It was fine. Needs must as was at Indian Wells Tennis Competition… anything decent was >$500 a night so a cheap option with two beds, a big TV, on a bus route, at $80 for a night for 2, was playing straight to me. I love the old school USA motels. Right by a train line too, with 2 mile long trains going though which I loved watching too. I know! Oh and free coffee! And it’s close to greyhound bus stop too. Building up a picture of guy I am? What’s not to like!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have been here in the US for a month and are still eating at Denny's?? Haven't eaten there in decades, and also avoid IHOP. Look for local mom and pop restaurants for breakfast.
I know! I quite like Denny’s in a retro sort of way (reminds me of my youth and the sheer thrill of something being open all night)! but was staying in areas where options were fairly small. Indio had very little and the second part, in Miami Gardens, had very little! It really was was the gas station, BK or Denny’s! And obv Dennys is 24/7 and the customers tend to be quite entertaining. They got these auto machine that deliver the food now! Not for me! Sadly no mom and pop options!

Last edited:
Two coffees - £3.90
Two juices - 2.70
@David I can just beat you! I am a bit of a cheapskate and I like my barista coffee and so my go to place for GOOD and CHEAP coffee in Auckland is my local Bunnings ☺️ who brew an excellent large Mocha for NZ$4 with my trade card (€2.24). I could get a small (Bunnings small size is normal cafe standard size) for NZ$3 (€1.68) but I like large. So I guess that two coffees would be €3.36. I don't buy juice or sandwiches at cafes and so I have no idea what those prices would be but probably not far off yours.

Bunnings (with trade discount) are unusually cheap for Auckland though, I suspect that they treat it as a loss leader to get the tradies in the store. I would usually pay anywhere from €3-4 each anywhere else.

On the other hand, I can't remember paying more than €1.50 for café sólo in Spain (I only ever found one place in Spain that did mochachinos ☹️) and often the café was less than one Euro and so it is possible to get the op's menu items cheaper than what they paid for them in Spain and I suspect that locals would probably be shocked at those prices.

@David I can just beat you! I am a bit of a cheapskate and I like my barista coffee and so my go to place for GOOD and CHEAP coffee in Auckland is my local Bunnings ☺️ who brew an excellent large Mocha for NZ$4 with my trade card (€2.24). I could get a small (Bunnings small size is normal cafe standard size) for NZ$3 (€1.68) but I like large. So I guess that two coffees would be €3.36. I don't buy juice or sandwiches at cafes and so I have no idea what those prices would be but probably not far off yours.

Bunnings (with trade discount) are unusually cheap for Auckland though, I suspect that they treat it as a loss leader to get the tradies in the store. I would usually pay anywhere from €3-4 each anywhere else.

On the other hand, I can't remember paying more than €1.50 for café sólo in Spain (I only ever found one place in Spain that did mochachinos ☹️) and often the café was less than one Euro and so it is possible to get the op's menu items cheaper than what they paid for them in Spain and I suspect that locals would probably be shocked at those prices.
Can I ask what Bunnings is? A store? A product?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can I ask what Bunnings is? A store? A product?
You need to be an Ozzie or Kiwi although they did try setting up in the UK but it didn't go well over there, not enough DIY. Started and owned in Australia, one of their better exports.

The US equivalent would be Home Depot or Lowes. Not where you would usually associate good coffee.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€5.60 for a cappuccino and a chicken Caesar baguette in Piraeus, Greece this morning.
That's in a cheap chain coffee and snack place. You could easily pay double around the corner.

HHmmm .. I am not sure. Here in Bath (UK) in the old Guildhall Market there is a cafe - really good one but 1960s style - that is the cheapest in the area ...
I’m not sure I’d fancy 1960s coffee at any price — it tasted like bath water!

It's funny how variable prices are even within our own lands. On the camino here in Germany last week - before my accident - I was paying €1.20 for a machine cappuccino or macchiato at the local bakery. Another €1.50. - €2 for a pastry to accompany it. €3 bought me a small filled roll. €7 for breakfast and lunch!
(Yes I know you can't compare a machine coffee to something made by a Barista - sadly there were none in town!).

I live 300 km away near Berlin. Here exactly the same thing would cost me 10 to 12 euros.

Location, location.

€83,-
I am sure the OP is surprised (and a little disappointed) in what was paid for a snack and refreshments recently. I would put it all down to experience and good (or better comparative value) will be experienced elsewhere.
What it has shown is information (and local knowledge) is paramount.
I recall (many years ago) on a stay in Paris, my friend advising me to order and eat at the bar as to sit down and get served would cost triple the ammount.
Then again there is coffee and there is coffee. The same goes with fruit juice and concentrate. The same with quantity and the difference between a bocadillo and sandwich. To make a local comparison to what was paid is almost impossible to do.
Sometimes it is "lesson learnt" and it is all chalked up to one of lifes experiences.

It's funny how variable prices are even within our own lands. On the camino here in Germany last week - before my accident - I was paying €1.20 for a machine cappuccino or macchiato at the local bakery. Another €1.50. - €2 for a pastry to accompany it. €3 bought me a small filled roll. €7 for breakfast and lunch!
(Yes I know you can't compare a machine coffee to something made by a Barista - sadly there were none in town!).

I live 300 km away near Berlin. Here exactly the same thing would cost me 10 to 12 euros.

Location, location.
What accident? 🤔

What accident? 🤔

Day 17
Herlasgrun - Hospital (10.6km walked)
Total (2024) 165km

Yep, you read that right. Nope, it’s not the name of the next town - I’ve broken my ankle. They’re going to operate in a couple of hours, all going well.

Stepped off the trail for a quick break, 1m before rejoining it I stepped on a loose rock and over I went. Fortunately I was only about 100m from the road, and very close to Plauen, in which hospital I’m currently residing. The ambulance was super quick, and once they found the path (I could see the end) a couple of quick peep’s on my whistle brought them straight to me. Don’t have my charger, so much as I’d like to write more, gotta go. I’ll update you all in due course……
I won't be walking for a little while..... .

You need to be an Ozzie or Kiwi although they did try setting up in the UK but it didn't go well over there, not enough DIY. Started and owned in Australia, one of their better exports.

The US equivalent would be Home Depot or Lowes. Not where you would usually associate good coffee.
The sort of place where you pop in to buy one lavendar plant, one thing leads to another and you end up needing a trailer to get everything home. To avoid this I always take my small car (without a tow bar), never our ute, as that's a recipe for a massive overspend.

Hi

This discussion has taken some interesting turns! Having now spent a fair bit of time in Iberia, in small local-type towns and in tourist areas, I would venture that signage for a camping/bungalow park would be a bit of a red flag, as far as food costs went, in its cafe. Parks like this are typically aimed at relatively well-off local tourists (i.e. middle-class and up, Portuguese and Spanish).

They likely wouldn't find the prices all that off-putting, especially now. I've been really surprised at how the cost of breakfast in hotels--in those that don't include it in the room price--has gone up dramatically in the last year or so.

So the place you eneded up was probably not a good bet for a peregrino trying to be economical. I suspect you'd find none of the locals in that area would eat in a place like that.

Bom caminho in any case!

Last edited:
Just for the heck of it... IMHO its seems I can agree with @C clearly 's very first post that this thread was created for no other reason but to 'vent' as OP has not been back at all (not would I expect him to). Which is a shame.
We always welcome anyone to express their views and far be it for me to 'sort of' shush someone (and I am not a moderator to begin with) but things like this well belong on TripAdvisor, Yelp and\or Google.
In the end - it did not contribute anything to the overall function of the Forum...
...although who knows...maybe one of these days some other Pilgrim might happen upon the place...

Just my couple of 2pense....

€60,-
Hi
That is located in one of THE most expensive sections of the Coastal, and even the less costly places in that area are pricey.

I had beers there, though I was careful to ask for the prices of the various options before ordering -- given the somewhat bloated prices for just the beer, which I paid eyes wide open, I refrained from ordering any solids.

I found a roast meat place after the cape towards Baiona, not inexpensive either, but decent enough value for money i.e. cost/quality ratio, and the drinks were normally priced. I enjoyed my time there.

It's not really rip-off prices on that area of coastline, it's touristy ones. The nearby place on the opposite side of the road is even more expensive.

That is located in one of THE most expensive sections of the Coastal, and even the less costly places in that area are pricey.
I had beers there, though I was careful to ask for the prices of the various options before ordering -- given the somewhat bloated prices for just the beer, which I paid eyes wide open, I refrained from ordering any solids. [...]
It's not really rip-off prices on that area of coastline, it's touristy ones. The nearby place on the opposite side of the road is even more expensive.
Thank you, @JabbaPapa. Finally, after 60+ posts, there is a post by somebody who has been to the restaurant O Muino Camping/Bungalow park and who can say something about how their prices compare to prices in other establishments in the area. It was worth the wait as far as I am concerned. ☺️

I've been pondering the reactions, both the OP's reaction and the reactions to his comment. I guess when we see a board with an offer of breakfast for peregrinos in Spain we are conditioned to expect cheap prices (compared to prices in Spain in general as well as compared to prices "back home") and we feel disappointed or even enraged when it ain't so.

I myself am often prepared to pay ""rip off"" prices for breakfast in hotel restaurants - just because I find it convenient to have breakfast there and then. In the case of the OP's situation, I would probably just have been happy to find a place to have breakfast full stop. But it's good to inform other Camino pilgrims about this restaurant’s price range even when the wording could have been different.

Buen camino to everyone on and off the trails to Santiago. ☺️

Last edited:
I thought display of prices were mandatory everywhere in European Union. You should write to Mrs Von der Leyen:
"Dear Ursula,
I am sad to tell you the following..."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I thought display of prices were mandatory everywhere in European Union. You should write to Mrs Von der Leyen:
"Dear Ursula,
I am sad to tell you the following..."
Actually, she's extremely progressive - I think she prefers a quick message via WhatsApp. Hang on, I've got the number somewhere....

You should write to Mrs Von der Leyen: "Dear Ursula, I am sad to tell you the following..."
"... I ordered breakfast in Spain without first looking at their price list or asking to see it and it was more expensive than I had assumed"?

I nearly forgot. There is of course a better idea than writing to Brussels. It is making use of the Spanish hoja de reclamacion system! Often mentioned and described on the forum.

Here is something new to get worked up about :):

Actually this reminds me of an occasion where I was once privileged to dine in a very fine establishment in London. A friend of mine that I'd met travelling invited me to dinner, we met at a nearby tube station and walked to a door with a discrete name on it. Many steps up from the type of establishment that I usually frequented, but I knew he was shall we say 'well off' and he felt he owed me, so I decided to accept it with Grace.
Said friend was greeted by name and we were led to our table.

I initially thought that it was one of those upper Market restaurants where the guests menus are not priced, just the hosts. Wrong. NONE of the menus had prices on them.

Why? It transpires that it was actually the restaurant of a private club. If you need to know the price, you cannot afford to belong.....

€46,-
How very dare a tourist campsite/lodge resort, with a small supermarket and cafe attached, charge a few extra euros in areas of income production to help with the areas of its business which are solely expenditure driven.
Like all businesses it is a bottom line balancing act. I am willing to bet that there was a price list somewhere.
My quill is poised to Ursula.....burning torches and pitchforks at the ready. /s

Last edited:

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back