• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety Apps?

IsabellaS

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hi! I'm a 19 year old female, and I'm solo hiking the Portuguese route starting next week. I've heard about some safety Apps for Spain and Portugal, but I can't seem to find what these apps are. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have any advice?
Any other safety tips are also welcome!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Try google ..

Phones usually have safety features built-in. Eg google pixel has "safety and emergency" under settings.

Features include safety check (set a timer, you confirm you're safe before timer runs out otherwise it contacts emergency contacts), emergency sharing (share your loc with certain contacts) and emergency sos (by pushing power button 5 times)

@IsabellaS , I think you mean this one.

Spain only, nothing available in Portugal that I’m aware of

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All of the EU uses 112 for emergencies.
Program it under Police/fire/ambulance in your phone, then in an emergency you’ll be able to find it easily!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don’t know if there are any code words in bars or frequently visited venues that folks who feel scared or vulnerable can use. For example in UK folks can approach members of staff and ‘ask for Angela’, that will trigger a chain of events to ensure that’s person immediate safety!

Last edited:
I don’t know if there are any code words in bars or frequently visited venues that folks who feel scared or vulnerable can use. For example in UK folks can approach members of staff and ‘ask for Angela’, that will trigger a chain of events to ensure that’s person immediate safety!

Where did you hear about this???

Does it apply throughout the UK?

(I’ve never heard of it … 🤔)

Nearly everywhere:
(except where a barmaid is called Angela)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

It’s quite heavily advertised in Wetherspoon’s. I saw it in the gents bathrooms a few days ago to remind me and seen it in lots of their establishments. They tend to be vanguard of these sorts of iniatives. With their huge customer base it will be be reaching a lot of folks. Don’t know about other pubs. I did add a link but I know folks get nervous re links so have a Google.

Nearly everywhere:
(except where a barmaid is called Angela)
Many pubs have trained members of staff and procedures laid down. I know someone who used it successfully.!

It’s quite heavily advertised in Wetherspoon’s. I saw it in the gents bathrooms a few days ago to remind me and seen it in lots of their establishments. They tend to be vanguard of these sorts of iniatives. With their huge customer base it will be be reaching a lot of folks. Don’t know about other pubs. I did add a link but I know folks get nervous re links so have a Google.

That explains it!
I’ve never set foot in a Wetherspoon’s 😉😄
Thank you for enlightening me 🙏🏻 😊

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm in London as part of my pre-Camino travel, and saw the sign in a pub this evening.

1000025459.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My friend got pick-pocketed in Barcelona. Took just a few minutes to realize, but it was too late. Here's the concern. He had EVERYTHING on his phone. Credit cards, airline reservations, maps...
Last night we stayed in Casa del Sol a Sol in Hornillos del Camino. The owner could not have been more accommodating and told us that the front door is open 24 hours a day. When we came down for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back