• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sahagun or Valladolid

DTCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Madrid 2023
It looks like I’ll have an extra day at the end of walking the Camino de Madrid this fall. If you had an extra day would you spend it in Sahagun or Valladolid and why?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are at least 2 great museums in Valladolid, Science and Natural science, if you’re interested.

We spent three days in Sahagún as Peg recovered from an illness yet I would like to spend a few more someday. It's a small town but there several places to visit, it's on a train line and has its plaza mayor to sit at and enjoy a few drinks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Either Valladolid or Segovia are both excellent choices. Took rest days in both places on my Camino Madrid.

In Segovia my partner and I had an outstanding tour of the Jewish quarter. And we visited the cathedral.

In Valladolid we went to the previously mentioned museum and we toured the House of Cervantes, author of Don Quixote.

Lol in a perfect world, you'd have a day to spend in each

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In Segovia my partner and I had an outstanding tour of the Jewish quarter. And we visited the cathedral.

In Valladolid we went to the previously mentioned museum and we toured the House of Cervantes, author of Don Quixote.

Lol in a perfect world, you'd have a day to spend in each
How about Sahagun? I’ve been to Segovia before.

I would say that Sahagún is a town, Valladolid is a city, but a small, manageable city. Sahagún has some marvelous mudéjar churches and some good food. A good pilgrim vibe. It has all the services you need, in terms of commerce. Valladolid has a very nice plaza mayor with the typical café set-up, a sculpture museum in an old convent with a Baroque facade that is impressively ornate even if you don’t like baroque (actually it’s called Plateresque, which is an over the top Baroque, if it’s possible to be over the top of Baroque!). Some nice churches, nice parks, nice pedestrian streets, a Cervantes museum in the house where he supposedly lived for a few years in the early 1600s. I think there’s a lot more to do in Valladolid, but that may not matter if you just want to chill out. There’s no camino connection in Valladolid, so you won’t be able to sit and watch pilgrims walking by as you would in Sahagún.

It looks like I’ll have an extra day at the end of walking the Camino de Madrid this fall. If you had an extra day would you spend it in Sahagun or Valladolid and why?
We spent an extra day in Segovia and Sahagun. We arrived early enough in Sahagun to see what we needed to see. We had been there before, but on a Monday. Everything is closed in Sahagun on a Monday. It's inevitable to arrive somewhere on a Monday, so after our first camino, we time our travel to hit the bigger cities with sites to see not on a Monday.

Segovia needs no comment. We loved Valladolid. It was only a ten minute train ride from the camino path. It is so rich in history, culture, architecture and art. We joined some other pilgrims for a service at the church of Santiago there. We could have left by train, but a man called out to us when we were walking. He was riding in a Mercedes convertible. He beckoned us peregrinos to hop in his car for a glorious ride to return to our unforgettable journey

All three are amazing. All three have something special to offer. If I were to choose between Valladolid and Sahagun, I would have to choose the latter. We are very much into Romanesque, and Sahagun is the jewel for that architecture. Also, you will receive a lovely certificate at the shrine to the Virgen Peregrina there. The shrine itself is worth an hour.

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Also, you will receive a lovely certificate at the shrine to the Virgen Peregrina there. The shrine itself is worth an hour.
Lately the certificate has been given at Sahagún's tourist center. I've read that a protective mailing tube can be bought nearby. The shrine is a museum. We liked it.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back