Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Bayonne on a Sunday morning ... any ideas for transport

Aug 19, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy route 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2022, 2023, +
Bonjour! I will be departing StJPP on a Sunday morning in mid-August to meet my train at Bayonne at 10h00 and commence my long journey home to the Great South Land. I have made this trip a number of times BUT drawing a blank on options at a reasonable time on a Sunday morning, i.e. 08h30 / 09h00 ... does Express Bourricot travel to the station at Bayonne? Has anyone used Uber out of StJPP? Is blablacar a viable option?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Feb 14, 2017
Northern California
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
BlablaCar MAY be an option but since it relies on private drivers who are already driving that route (it’s not a taxi service you hire), you have no way of knowing if it will be available that day.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
F

Former member 104756

Hi. Bronwen. I sent you a what’s app but looks like you haven’t seen it. If you don’t like the idea of the 6.30 am train, and given you’ve been to SJPP many times, why not go up to Bayonne on the Saturday late afternoon or evening. On Sat 12 August, for example, Trainline says there’s a 4.38pm train and a 7.32pm train. Both one hour trips. You can stay near the station and enjoy a leisurely evening and next morning in Bayonne before your 10am train on Sunday. 😎.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BlackRocker57
Aug 19, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
According to Rome2Rio, there is an 8:20 bus that gets in to Bayonne at 9:40.

The 9:30 train would be too late for a 10 am Bayonne train, but there is an earlier (6:29) train. It would give you a few hours to roam around Bayonne.
merci @NorthernLight ... I will investigate the bus but now leaning toward the afternoon before and staying overnight at Bayonne ...

Reactions: donalomahony
Aug 19, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Hi. Bronwen. I sent you a what’s app but looks like you haven’t seen it. If you don’t like the idea of the 6.30 am train, and given you’ve been to SJPP many times, why not go up to Bayonne on the Saturday late afternoon or evening. On Sat 12 August, for example, Trainline says there’s a 4.38pm train and a 7.32pm train. Both one hour trips. You can stay near the station and enjoy a leisurely evening and next morning in Bayonne before your 10am train on Sunday. 😎.
Merci beaucoup @Pelerina ... thanks for this ... am now leaning this way ... I 💖 Bayonne and have previously stayed at the Ibis Styles near the station so rekkon this might just work for me and take a lot of angst out of the journey 🚂🚂🚂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Jun 1, 2016
Fr (17), Prim (19), CF/Norte ‘21, Le Puy/Inv22
Merci beaucoup @Pelerina ... thanks for this ... am now leaning this way ... I 💖 Bayonne and have previously stayed at the Ibis Styles near the station so rekkon this might just work for me and take a lot of angst out of the journey 🚂🚂🚂
Less tourists also… sounds like a pleasant evening

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Jun 18, 2012
Le Puy-Santiago 2012-13; +++; Somport-Burgos 2023
I always wanted to visit the Basque museum in Bayonne but was never there when it was open. Dinner by the river, a wander around the downtown.

You could also spend the night near the beach in Biarritz.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jun 1, 2016
Fr (17), Prim (19), CF/Norte ‘21, Le Puy/Inv22
There'll be plenty of tourists - and locals - enjoying Bayonne on a Saturday evening in summer - who could blame them. And many more than in SJPP, I’d guess 😎
Wow! I didn’t realize that. Thought that SJPP and Biarritz were bigger draws

F

Former member 104756

Wow! I didn’t realize that. Thought that SJPP and Biarritz were bigger draws
You're right Richmond - Biarritz (and St Jean de Luz) are v popular, particularly in summer - what's not to love. Bayonne is also popular - albeit probably quite a bit quieter on the night scene!! Visitors sometimes base themselves in Bayonne to take the short journey to the 'beach' towns. Just my experience/ sense of things, which could be wrong 🤣

Bayonne is well worth visiting. And it's the start of the Camino Baztan and a few other routes. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides