• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2023 Camino del Norte, starting to plan

rnfermandez

Time of past OR future Camino
Northern Fall 2023
Hello! We are starting to plan for Camino de Norte, Gijón to Santiago de Compostela starting beginning of September 2023. I will be doing the Camino with my daughter, and we have been dreaming about this for 7 years. We are hoping to get some mother-daughter quality time, when we can experience contact with nature (and we are ocean/water views fans), personal and spiritual growth and accomplishment of a physical challenge.

We want to have our bags transported by a service. We first want to figure which would be the best type of shoes for that route at that time of the year, so we can train during the next year using the type of shoes that we are planning to bring. We have heard that the North could be hilly in some areas, and cool and rainy, but are wondering most specifically about those 345 km that we will be doing. Any wisdom and advice w.r.t. terrain in that area and weather at that time of the year would be greatly appreciated, as well as any advice about shoes and socks that you have worn or would wear for that Camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can use the Spanish post office, Correos for pack transport.

As far as shoes go, that's a very personal decision. Fortunately you have plenty of time to try out different footwear.

There are those who wouldn't wear anything but boots, while many prefer trail running shoes.

I've done the Norte and several other Caminos exclusively in hiking sandals.

Good luck! My Dad and I are planning the Norte at the same time. We have been delayed twice due to travel restrictions but this is our third Camino together. It's a wonderful experience to share. Shoes are personal but hiking the Frances in boots and having our feet torn apart, try lots of options to see what you like. For the Portugese we did a combo of boots and sandals - I love the Ecco brand. For the Norte we are actually planning on trail runners which are more gentle on the feet but have great cushion. The paths on all Caminos are hard rocks, dirt, or pavement so you need something with great support and cushion. I'll probably also bring the sandals again. Happy Planning and hope to see you there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good luck! My Dad and I are planning the Norte at the same time. We have been delayed twice due to travel restrictions but this is our third Camino together. It's a wonderful experience to share. Shoes are personal but hiking the Frances in boots and having our feet torn apart, try lots of options to see what you like. For the Portugese we did a combo of boots and sandals - I love the Ecco brand. For the Norte we are actually planning on trail runners which are more gentle on the feet but have great cushion. The paths on all Caminos are hard rocks, dirt, or pavement so you need something with great support and cushion. I'll probably also bring the sandals again. Happy Planning and hope to see you there.
Wonderful! So we might see you! Thanks for your wisdom. Yes, after some research I've decided to start trying out a trail runner. Bringing good sandals too as a backup or to switch into when feet are wet or tired my be a really good idea.

I walked in 2018 and have walked every camino in Brooks Cascadia Trail runners. Terrain wise unless your Podiatrist or Orthopedic told you you need to use boots, they are not necessary at all. They will be hotter and heavier and you will sweat more. I use a smart wool sock with a very thin synthetic sock underneath to absorb sweat. If you can keep a newspaper you find in a bar to have handy in case your trail runners get really wet. Many albergues will have newspaper also. When you arrive take out the insole and crumple up the newspaper and stuff your shoes with it. If you can repeat again before you go to sleep. I guarantee your shoes will be dry in the morning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes sandals have saved us on the Primitivo and the Frances when walking long stretches on roads and concrete footpaths. We have Merrell hiking boots for ankel support and orthotic inserts and Teva sandals for the long hard road stretches. At the end of a long day coming into a town its great to switch to sandals on the harder surfaces. I will be on the Norte starting September 2022.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.