• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes camino primitivo

LeJaMa

Time of past OR future Camino
May-june
Hi there, I am planning on my first camino and I am choosing Primitivo. Going in the middle or the end of May. I tried on many shoes and decided that trail runners should be OK. I bought asics Venture 9 as for woman. Does anyone have any experience with these shoes? I am only afraid if they last for long distance walking. Thanks for answers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am on the train to Oviedo, starting my Primitivo this weekend. I am wearing trail runners, Brooks Cascadia 16. I used the same pair last September walking to Finisterre and Muxia. I found trail runners worked out good.

I think anything but the cheapest trail runners would be ok for the 2 weeks of the beautiful Primitivo, with Asics you would hope that the quality will be more than sufficient.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How much asphalt walking can you expect on the Primitivo? I’m wearing hiking shoes because I wanted some extra grip for the Salvadore but my feet are killing me here on the Invierno with all the road walking. If the Primitivo is similar I might try to pick up some Brooks trail runners in Oviedo.

How much asphalt walking can you expect on the Primitivo? I’m wearing hiking shoes because I wanted some extra grip for the Salvadore but my feet are killing me here on the Invierno with all the road walking. If the Primitivo is similar I might try to pick up some Brooks trail runners in Oviedo.
I haven't done either Salvador or Primitivo (yet), but I do know from the CF that the good cushioned soles of my trail runners were very welcome on the asphalt sections, yet they still had great grip on the more tricky sections. Buying some in Oviedo would be a good call IMO, especially if your hiking shoes are causing you problems.

You'll need a good pair of primitivos for the job..

No really, any decent hiking shoes/trail runners will do just fine and nothing will wear out in 2 weeks/300km.
The Primitivo, like all of the other caminos in Spain, has an assortment of walking surfaces: gravel paths, earth tracks, muddy farm tracks, asphalt etc.

Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did both Frances and Primitivo in trail running shoes. (Salomon Speedcross GTX) I walked in April both times. Very little asphalt on the Primitivo. No reason for trekking boots on either of these routes (IMHO).

I always wear trekking socks made of mostly wool.

Remember that your feet will swell when you walk every day, be sure to buy shoes that are a little bit to big before you start. (click on the picture to see my shoes)

Attachments

• 230413_stage_1_primitivo (4 of 44).jpg
    230413_stage_1_primitivo (4 of 44).jpg
    14.1 MB · Views: 10
@LeJaMa , firstly, welcome to the forum!

Trail runners are ideal. The Primitivo is only 320kms long, they should last well and then some. The terrain is nicely mixed, more trails than roads until nearer the end.

Make sure you walk in them for a minimum of a couple of days, back to back, to ensure that 1/ they’re comfortable and 2/ there are no manufacturing defects. You can then put them away if you like - trail runners don’t need breaking in.

Personally, I’d continue training in them, and notch up roughly 50 - 100km before putting them away. Including 3 days, back to back, of 15km per day (minimum). Happy? Then you’re good to go!

As @AK2112 said, your feet will swell ( widthways). So upsize. Do please ensure that they’re at least a half size larger, so that your toes can’t even kiss the front. (you don’t want to loose toenails).

The Primitivo is a wonderful first Camino, I met several first time pilgrims on it last year.

Buen Camino!

I am on the train to Oviedo, starting my Primitivo this weekend. I am wearing trail runners, Brooks Cascadia 16. I used the same pair last September walking to Finisterre and Muxia. I found trail runners worked out good.
I have walked over 8,000k on caminos and probably another 4or 5,000K in ONLY Brooks Cascadias. I haven't had a blister since 2015. Before my first camino I went to an outdoor store in my town in Oregon that is on the PCT. The store is pretty well known among backpackers and it has a great reputation for knowledge. They recommended a soft pair of Merrell hiking shoes. I had about 5 blisters within a week of training. When I recovered a friend of mine who is a triathlete took me to the running store in town. The owner was at the time, the number 2 rated ultra marathoner. (It turned out lots of ultramarathoners used to train in the mountains near my home). Before my friend could finish saying Camino de Santiago, the owner and the two other people working there (all ultramarathoners) pointed to the Brooks Cascadias and insisted it was the only choice! I was sold and I have never looked back! Starting Camino number 9 in October. 950K and my daughter has my Cascadias waiting for me in her home. No break in needed!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there, I am planning on my first camino and I am choosing Primitivo. Going in the middle or the end of May. I tried on many shoes and decided that trail runners should be OK. I bought asics Venture 9 as for woman. Does anyone have any experience with these shoes? I am only afraid if they last for long distance walking. Thanks for answers.
I walked the Norte from Irun to Villaviciosa then cut over and walked the entire Primitivo in Terraventure Trail Runners last Fall and had no problems whatsoever. I also hike and backpack in areas where hiking boots that offer a bit more support are necessary but that was not the case on the Norte or Primitivo.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and opinions. I just want sure and was thinking if I should have bought something better, with better sole or different grip. These asics are ok, although a little bit lower than those shoes with bigger cushion, foam-like sole - e.g. hoka. Well I will see on the way how it goes. Of course, I am already walking in them anytime I can.
asics-gel-venture-9_3.jpg

Thanks for the tip about Brooks Cascadians, never heard of them before.

@LeJaMa , a thought for you - you could always get another pair of aftermarket insoles. The insoles that come with my ultra lone peaks are rather thin., but they're great backups to my orthotics. I swap them out sometimes for a couple of hours ( especially on a longer day) - it really makes a difference to my feet.

Brooks Cascadia are excellent shoes, sadly last time I wanted some I couldn't get them when I needed them. Frankly much as I like my ultra lone peaks I'm tempted to go back to the Brooks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@LeJaMa , a thought for you - you could always get another pair of aftermarket insoles. The insoles that come with my ultra lone peaks are rather thin., but they're great backups to my orthotics. I swap them out sometimes for a couple of hours ( especially on a longer day) - it really makes a difference to my feet.

Brooks Cascadia are excellent shoes, sadly last time I wanted some I couldn't get them when I needed them. Frankly much as I like my ultra lone peaks I'm tempted to go back to the Brooks.
I am sure this is a silly suggestion as you have already looked but Brooks may have a German website. They just had a great sale on some Cascadias that were from 2023. My friend got a pair for half price. Unfortunately they didn’t have my size

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.