• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP on a Sunday ?

hampshire!tim

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013), Ingles (2014), Finisterre (2015)
I plan to arrive in SJPP on Sunday 3rd Nov
Taking train from Bayonne in morning
I assume the pilgrim office will be open and hostels
Will much else be open?
I suspect that as a small country town it will be a quiet day.
Anyone have experience of Sunday in SJPP?
Not that critical, no missions to accomplish, just wondering.

Tim

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Tim,

While I can't for sure answer your question about what might be open on SJPdP on Sunday, I'd like to think early in the day you would be able to get what you need. However, if you have a bit of time to spare before leaving the train station in Bayonne, you could walk to the nearby supermarket to pick up whatever you think you might need for the next day. This has worked for me twice. I could simply start walking early the next morning with all I needed for the first day.

Do you already have a place to stay in SJPdP? Might they have a meal for your first night?

I have read that the pilgrim office stays open for the last train and have not heard anything about it being closed on Sundays. They will also set you up with somewhere to stay if needed.
Buen Camino

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can anyone help me with why my replies sometimes look like part of my conversation? Computer illiterate here...as you can see!!

Will much else be open?

Tim

I arrived to SJPDP on a Sunday afternoon (around 1600) and checked in with the pilgrims office, got my credential stamped and was offered a bed at the municipal albergue for 8 euros with breakfast included, stores and restaurants were open in the afternoon.

Can anyone help me with why my replies sometimes look like part of my conversation? Computer illiterate here...as you can see!!

Karen, add another space after you click reply to separate the quote.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Don't worry Tim. Sunday is a popular arrival day for pilgrims in SJPP and everything will be open. Pilgrim Office opens late and you'll have no problem finding a restuarant if the albergue you book doesn't provide you with an evening meal. As far as I can remember, the shops close around 6pm so buy your snack food and water for the next morning before then. If you get a chance, head down to the main archway (only a short stroll) leading out of St. Jean towards the Pyrennees. At the archway, turn left and walk down what appears to be a dead-end dirt street. At the end is a pelota court. It's a fascinating game to watch and we sat for about an hour marvelling at the strength and skill of the players. Sunday is a big day for pelota, so the chances are you'll get to see a game.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Will much else be open?

Tim
Yes, I was there on a Sunday and it was pretty quiet, although some of the touristy shops were open and so were the bars and restaurants. The big supermarket on the edge of town was also open for a few hours.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
I arrived in Santiago yesterday aiming to get the bus today from Lavacolla to Samos. Wanted to post as a live from the Camino but couldn’t work out how to do it! I walked Valenca to SDC with 2...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back