• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or not ?

Ron in Tassie

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2013
Fellow Pilgrims, I am looking for advise on ...should I take a sleeping bag ? I start at SJPDP on 3 June and have 16 walking days before I meet my wife in Madrid. My bag weighs 1.85 kg. My all up weight is still less than 12kg... as an experienced bush walker I normally have about 20/22 kg on my back. Ron in Tassie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Ron,
I have walked the Camino in June without a sleeping bag, I had few problems, most of the hostels have blankets sometimes they are hidden from plain view, but all you need to do is ask, I am walking about the same time this year and I am still deciding if I will take a sleeping bag, I am leaning towards taking two silk liners all up weight about 300 grams, I haven't tried two together before, but I am expecting the trapped air between them will provide more insulation, I will test the theory before I leave ( still waitin for my 2nd XL silk liner from Vietnam eBay :) being Tasmanian the cold should not concern you, :)

Frank Melbourne

G'day Ron,

I am starting my Camino on the 5th of June and keep asking the same question: sleeping bag or just a liner? At this stage I am leaning towards a liner and a pair of thermals.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Frank, be sure to post your results when you test doubling up silk liners. I'm sure others, like me, would really like to hear your impressions, since the weight would be a lot less than even a very light sleeping bag.

Karl

I start from SJPP on May 20th and I've been wondering the same question. First I thought I could get by with a silk liner, but after actually trying the Sea To Summit Liner, I quickly discovered that it's so thin you can see through it, and it adds zero warmth. The thermal liners might be a bit better, but be sure to try it out on a cold night to be sure.

I also noticed that the main albergue in Roncesvalles requires a sleeping bag. I don't know if that would include a liner, but I thought I'd mention it since there may be other albergues that do as well. [Edit May 8, 2013: I've since read that the albergue in Roncesvalles is one of the very few that requires a sleeping bag.]

Russell

I am walking now, left Saint Jean April 2nd, and have had little problems with being warm enough. Granted, I tend to not mind the cold as much as some, but I do have circulation issues and have been ok. Almost everywhere I have stayed has had blankets, some more effective than others. The only place I was really cold at night was in Boadilla (stayed at En El Camino).

Worst comes to worst, you might have to sleep in your clothes one night. Compared to carrying an extra 1.5 kg on your bag (after deducting the weight of a silk liner bag), this seems like a no-brainer to me. But then, depending on your age and back condition, the weight may not be such a big issue as it would be for me.

Anyway, my .4 nickels (Canada did away with the penny a few months ago. :) )

Glen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
depends on hov could you tend to get really.

I have walked twice late june early july, and would have been frozen solid without my sleeping bag. Mine only weighs 500 grams which make the decision a little easier, so even with it i manage to keep my pack weight under 5kg

My wife and I started at SJPP Apri18 in 2009 and March 18 in 2012. We walked 46 days the first time and 59 the second, so we had more overnights than most. We never even considered sleeping bags; too heavy, too bulky. We did have silk liners for purposes of separation from the well-used mattresses and blankets, which were available at EVERY albergue. The only possible risk one might run is late arrival, when all blankets might already be spoken for. Some pilgrims take more than one.

IMO a sleeping bag is an essential, not a luxury.

Though I'd recommend getting an as light as possible military one, rather than anything heavy :)

Not only can the presence of a vast area of sleeping arrangements under the stars never be discounted, but you simply cannot assume that you will always find anywhere better to sleep -- not to mention that sometimes, "somewhere better" means floor space.

Of course this depends on your disposable income more than any other factor -- can you afford hotel rooms if the pilgrim albergues are full ? I've no idea !!! :wink:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have said on several threads that after our experience in 2010 we would not walk without a sleeping bag ever again.
Terry had one (and liner) in 2009 and we took them in 2011 and 2012, but without liners to keep the weight down. This year we intend to go without them, but are only walking a part Camino and will use habitaciones/cheap hotels rather than albergues. We, or rather Terry, will have a pack 1kg 800gms lighter as a result. We took the decision last week when he was finding it hard going with the bags in the pack, and after we had researched the possible rooms available.
I still think that if using albergues a bag is the best idea, unless you do not feel the cold - I do :)
Buen Camino

I think the sleeping bag is kind of essential, but if you walk in the late spring and summer months (as I did in 2nd part of May and whole June) you'll be fine with max.500/1000g sleeping bag. In most of the albergues there are blankets also! Believe me, you really don't want to carry this almost 2kg sleeping bag!!! Rather carry some more water or food :)

Ultreia!

I am thinking of getting a down "liner" by Montbell, warmer than silk but super lightweight. Not at all a real down bag. Any thoughts on that?
Also, Pieces, what make pack do you carry that helps keep your total weight so low?
Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have always taken a light weight hike and bike sleeping bag.

A down blanket ... aka duvet ... for a single bed. Unless you plan to sleep outdoors.

I just did a hike (in Northern California) with a woman who has walked various parts of the Camino upwards of 10 times. She shared some helpful tips - one being that she travels with a Cocoon sheet (or equivalent) and a pashmina scarf. She uses the pashmina as a blanket, and as a scarf to dress up her hiking attire when venturing out "on the town" in the evening. She has used her poncho for extra warmth as well. She noted that the alburgues tend to be on the warmer side as windows are kept shut. I just jettisoned my sleeping bag from my pack and picked up a bright red pashmina!! I am also bringing one layer of polypro. I leave for Leon in 2 weeks and am concerned it will still be rainy and on the colder side....
Another helpful tip - the train system has a "Tarjeta Dorada" - gold ticket that allows for a senior discount (40% of the full price). She wasn't sure of the age cut-off (50? 55? 60?). But if you are using the train for any part of the trip, worth checking into it.
Her last tip - and I've seen this on other posts - large safety or diaper pins - for securing socks, etc. on your pack while you walk and they dry.
I hope to meet some of you soon!! I am traveling sola and look forward to meeting many.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year I walked from May 20 to June 10 and used only a silk liner. I also slept in my clean set of clothes and was fine with the temperature between the two. It's really a personal preference. As long as my feet and head are warm, I can sleep. That being said, I always wore my hat and socks to bed.

I used the osprey Tallon, which is about 1kg, but planning to buy the Hornet for next time as this will reduce weight by another 400 grams

For sleepingbag I use the Haglöffs Lim 50 which is 500 grams

Pieces said:
I used the osprey Tallon, which is about 1kg, but planning to buy the Hornet for next time as this will reduce weight by another 400 grams

For sleepingbag I use the Haglöffs Lim 50 which is 500 grams

I got the Haglöfs Lim too. The shorter one, which is only 460.
I weighed it a few weeks ago (in its pack bag) and now it's actually only 450.
So it's just getting lighter and lighter:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah ok. I'm only 169 cm (and probably shrinking too).
The shorter one is 183 cm, so there's plenty of space for me.

I got the Osprey Talon too btw:)

Phillypilgrim - great idea. I had the good luck a few years ago to buy a sleeping bag liner which is essentially a very light down/feather sleeping bag with a zip all round so it opens out flat. Together with the lightest silk liner It has proved perfect for the Camino and has been now with me numerous times, in all sorts of weather - if hot I open it flat, lay it on the bed (hygiene) and sleep on top in a silk sleeping sheet, if middling weather I sleep on top of the silk sleeping sheet with the down liner open on top of me like a counter pane, if cold I get inside the zipped up bag, if very cold inside silk and bag. My husband is very jealous. These liners are very rare in Australia; on fact I've not seen once since.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For what it's worth, I plan to take two sleeping bag liners and a pair of long johns when I start my camino at the end of this month. The sleeping bag would have taken too much room in my rucksack, and I didn't fancy having a wrestling match each morning to try to get it back in the bag. And, as someone else has already said, it might be necessary to sleep in ones clothes occasionally.

I would not carry a bag that heavy, but suggest having SOME kind of bag. I use a "silk" liner with pillow cover that I really like (especially the pillow cover part). My husband and son use very lightweight fleece bags that we picked up for less than $15 at a sporting goods store in the US. Something like these http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-15207-Fl ... B001916XG4, although ours must weight less than a pound). These have been more than adequate for us walking in July, except for a few cold nights when we needed to pile on blankets, which almost all albergues have.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And may your dreams be sweet, your bed not entirely concrete and your sleeping albergue companions silent .... Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
a "BIG" thank you to all who have given me ideas and shared your experiences .
I have decided to travel with a silk sleeping bag liner and a "Sea to Summit" brand Reactor Thermolite Liner . It weighs about 250gm plus 200gm for the silk liner. All up I am saving about 1.4 kg and the thermal retention looks fine. I've had a good look at the climatic data and it also looks good for travel from 3 June onwards. I have to be in Madrid on 18 June, so this will be a partial Camino for me this time. best wishes to all Ron in Tassie.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
Everybody who has walked the Camino Francés knows the albergue in Manjarin. An albergue for six pilgrims, without water and electricity, but full of hospitality. Tomás Martinez de Paz started...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back