• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snowfall in the Roncesvalles area

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way.

ibaneta.jpg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way.

View attachment 166739

Thanks for sharing, Hopefully all pilgrims are safe and it shocked me, too. We will start our CF on 17th April, hopefully there will be no more snowing by that time🤞🏼

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

View attachment 166739

At least the forecast was correct! Should all have disappeared by this time tomorrow. Does look beautiful though.

Is picture #6 the bridge out of Burguete?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Since my wife is just in the train to Bayonne and to start walking tomorrow i am following the weather with quite some interest. While the snow might be annoying, the extreme winds in the forecast from tomorrow afternoon give me more concerns since quite some walking is through the forest and there might be a danger of falling branches/trees.

And this Ladies and Gents is why the Napoleon Route is closed until at least April 1. Early walkers in April and May should definitely check with the pilgrim office and their hospitaleros regarding the weather.
The second time I walked I started in Le Puy. In fact when I got to SJPP it was the same day I started, September 21 when I arrived in St. Jean for my first camino 3 years earlier. Thought that was pretty cool. When we woke up the next morning it was pretty cold and very hard cold rain. A pilgrim we met the day before saw us standing in the doorway of our albergue. He said, "You guys need to hurry up and get ready". We said if it is this bad here we can't imagine how bad it may be by the time you get to Orisson. We are going back to bed. The next day was perfect and a great walk to Roncesvalles. After walking the whole Le Puy route the hill up to Orisson was a piece of cake. A few day later we saw some pilgrims from our albergue in SJPP. They said that first day walk was one of the miserable days of their lives. Heavy rain, sleet, snow, high winds all the way to Roncesvalles. You have to be careful to say the least. When in doubt stay in bed!!!!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for sharing, Hopefully all pilgrims are safe and it shocked me, too. We will start our CF on 17th April, hopefully there will be no more snowing by that time🤞🏼
I hope you have beautiful weather when you cross the Pyrenees! But of course, check the weather beforehand. Snow is not a surprise on the Napoleon Route in April. Just from my own experience, in 2019 an intense snowfall closed that route on May 3 and medevac helicopters had to rescue several people off the mountain! But the next day was clear and calm, and the trail opened again. But you'll be fine dressing in layers and checking the weather beforehand. Buen Camino!

View attachment 166739

View attachment 166739

It was a beautiful walk in the snow on our way to Zubiri today. The pilgrims on the trail seemed to be in good spirits and prepared for snow. The pictures are less than 20 hours a part:) Bien CaminoIMG_6969.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3790.jpeg
    9.5 MB · Views: 71
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m starting on April 17th as well - hoping for dryer weather but just packing for everything!
I'm starting April 17 from SJPP too, and these posts about cold and snow, and similar posts about rain and wind further along the route, have me constantly changing my packing list. Extra merino thermal in, extra merino thermal out; thermal tights in, thermal tights out; lighter weight rain jacket in, that out and heavier-duty rain jacket in... I'm trying to really minimise weight, while at the same time being properly prepared. Confusion....
Aaarrggghhhhh! 🤣

I'm starting April 17 from SJPP too, and these posts about cold and snow, and similar posts about rain and wind further along the route, have me constantly changing my packing list. Extra merino thermal in, extra merino thermal out; thermal tights in, thermal tights out; lighter weight rain jacket in, that out and heavier-duty rain jacket in... I'm trying to really minimise weight, while at the same time being properly prepared. Confusion....
Aaarrggghhhhh! 🤣
A lot can change in two weeks!

Aaarrggghhhhh! 🤣
Same problem. I start on April 9th.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Aaarrggghhhhh! 🤣
Currently in Burgos. I also went back and forth with my packing before I left, and thought I brought too much. Has been cold, wet, and windy (and sometimes hailing) for the past 5 days and I’m grateful for every piece of clothing that I brought, because I’ve been wearing most of it during the day!

For the rain, I brought a mid-weight Quechua rain jacket plus my Altus poncho. Have been using both, often at the same time.

Buen Camino!

Currently in Burgos. I also went back and forth with my packing before I left, and thought I brought too much. Has been cold, wet, and windy (and sometimes hailing) for the past 5 days and I’m grateful for every piece of clothing that I brought, because I’ve been wearing most of it during the day!

For the rain, I brought a mid-weight Quechua rain jacket plus my Altus poncho. Have been using both, often at the same time.

Buen Camino!
I would love to know what clothing you brought with you @Jomad and what it weighs... I'm still tweaking my gear and want to make sure I have enough to stay warm and dry, but not too much so I can keep my carried weight down.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back