• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So happy. So sad. What can one do?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
So happy.

My first camino, the Frances in 2009, was a serious eyeopener to me, and created the foundation in me for the love of the camino. The Way returned 1000-fold back to me. I learnt a lot, and I can truly, and thankfully, say that it changed who I am. Hopefully, I am much better. I feel that way, anyway. My walks on VdlP in 2011 and 2012 gave me tough lessons, and I wanted to give up several times, but thanks to my pilgrim friend Jurgen from Germany, I made it. A solid lesson in stamina and determinaton, as well as more life vision and understanding. Thank you, Camino and Jurgen.

So sad.

On my walks, I have met many people who have brightened my life. Especially Spanish locals, even being in dire trouble, offering me food, drink, and hospitality. Spain is in big trouble in many ways, these days. I hurt for the people. It is very depressing that this country with all its history and culture, is having such a hard time. It concerns me (concerns for the people of Spain). I have received so much good, so much friendship, so much help, so much friendliness, on my walks in Spain. I have fallen in love with the country an dnot least, its people.

What can one do?

I am twisting my head on that one. I want to pay back for all I have received by the Spanish people on the Camino. What can I do? I have been thinking a lot about this. Should I go back and adopt a Spanish group? Should I start an albergue? Should I ... what?

I am really concerned about how to pay back all what the Spanish people are offering to the pilgrims (and toristigrinos...) of the world.

Have you ever had these thoughts? I have them all the time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Most Spanish do not view themselves as charity cases. If they are employed, they make a living. If they are unemployed, they want to be employed, not on charity. So I suggest that you spend a bit lavishly when in Spain and keep the economy going. Donate at the churches. Don't squeeze a Euro until it squeals. Help out the truly indigent with alms. Eat in restaurants instead of self-catering. Pick up a little bit of trash each day. Volunteer in one of the dwindling number of albergues. I am sure you can think of more!

alex,

thank you for your lovely post.

i feel the same way as you for the people of spain and the country itself. i feel the pains for the people in this crisis. you do not see it on your caminos, but in your heart you can feel the anguish, torment and hurt of a proud people bought down to their knees by the economic crisis.

just come back for more caminos and be generous on your spending on your caminos to help the economy of the small pueblos. and i hope we, as peregrinos, can also be more generous by helping the local businesses.

thanks again for being grateful. buen camino to all. and may god and saint james bestow their blessings on all of you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Piogaw, Thanks.
I am just a humble human being who has been given a lot from The Way, and I am wondering how I can pay back, because of my gratitude.

come to the camino and open up a shelter/adoption center for abandoned dogs. It is very much needed. I can help you get started. You can help the Spaniards who will not or cannot keep their dogs. It will help the dogs. It will get some of the starving strays off the camino and into a stable environment, where perhaps they can be adopted someday when pilgrims go back home.

What Falcon says.

Most people, even people who really need charity don't want to see themselves as charity cases. On the other hand I really was shocked this year seeing the effects of the economy in Spain. Seeing jobs advertised on morning TV was really an eye-opener as to just how bad things are. Seeing the miles of militant graffiti in the mining towns of Asturias was equally sad as I think in Scotland we're more than familiar with the wreckage of the end of heavy industries like that. Seeing so many <25 year olds not being able to find jobs is awful. I felt a lot of sympathy.

I felt similarly that the Camino gave a lot. This year I walked the Camino del Salvador and asked for sponsorship for charity, it kind of felt like a good payback. I made £500 for charity and along the way I spent money in shops, hotels, albergues, restaurants, bars, etc.

Find a cause that means something to you if you want to do something for charity (I chose War Child as it is very close to my heart), the best way to help the Spanish people is to patronise the cheese stalls and the pancake sellers and the people selling berries and all the rest of it. Spend 10 euros with a local business rather than 100 euros in a Hilton.

I imagine the upkeep of way markers and the marking of new routes must be a hell of a burden on those that do it. Maybe that is something to pursue?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Reb, might just do that. BTW: Thanks for the T-shirt in 2009: It lasted a long time. I am very serious about this post: I really want to do some payback for the wonderful times on my caminos(s). We all have a lot to be thankful for, and perhaps we should start to think about a different way to spend our lives?

Reb; I have this feeling: If one day I walk into your village, you will have a lot of projects ready to go?

Well, the Danish Government recommended this summer that people stay in Denmark over the holiday and spend a lot of money as the Danish economy is struggling (as most others). If people wanted to go abroad, they said, stay in the union and go to the countries that struggle the most and spend loads of money, that way you benefit us all.

I find that sound advise and have lately kept my travels within the Union.

As for the topic, the best way one can probably help is by sending as much money one can in the direction one wishes the help to go. Not by charity as mentioned but by sending business that way so people will get jobs and the economy will prosper.

This leads me to think that the answer to your question is to go on a Camino every year and spend loads of money, more than one if possible. Even better bring all your friends with you and make them spend loads of money too.

Now going on tons of Caminos is not such a bad way to do charity work I think :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Next Camino will be next spring: First my 60th birthday in Rome with family, then Frances from mid-April and on. But this time veeery relaxed: Short daily etappas, plenty of time (I am a pensioner) and completing in due time. And yes: Happily spending lots of money on the way; having a chat with Reb, perhaps; thinking & planning. Will see what I can manage.

But anyhow: I have learnt a lot from previous caminos, and the biggest lesson is: Take Your Time. I know most pilgrims are on leave from jobs and have time restraints,, but I don't, so I will definitely use the time, and lots of it: I rushed too much before the Camino educated me. The Camino has taught me a lot: The lesson of taking time is one of of the better ones.

CU!?

it is a touchy thing to say to those who "want to give back to the camino," but outside of volunteering as a hospitalero, or adopting a particular non-profit albergue to help out with contributions, the camino doesn´t need a lot of outside help, at least on the Frances. The villages on the Way, or at least a few enterprising residents, have learned what it takes to serve the pilgrims and make a living from them. The people on the pilgrimage are for the most part well-heeled enough to not need financial help. (some of them will tell you otherwise, I´m sure!)

You can make a donation to a confraternity, or a particular albergue, or to a monastery or church that serves pilgrims. You can support initiatives like the Camino Cleanup, or Caritas, the Catholic charity that gives clothing to the homeless who wander the caminos.

But IMHO, the real suffering in Spain is not along the Camino Frances. It is in the barrios of the big cities, where the children don´t have money for school supplies, in camps where migrant workers sit waiting for the fruit to ripen, in rural villages where grannies are supporting extended families on their pension check and the garden produce, or up in the mining villages in the mountains, where cheap imported coal has put an entire generation out of work. Getting your help to them is problematic. You have to be here and have your ear to the ground to know how much and what kind of help is needed, and get that help to the right person.

You are right to reconsider how, and maybe even where, you live your life and spend your money. Not many people carry their post-pilgrimage contemplations so far into the realm of real possibility. Keep walking. You might just find your answer is right in front of your nose.

You are very wise and I might just visit you for advice, Reb. This issue of payback is haunting me badly. I just want to do it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
  1. And ys, I do not consider the people who already make a living from us; I am talking about all the others.

come to the camino and open up a shelter/adoption center for abandoned dogs. It is very much needed. I can help you get started.
Don‘t even think about it Reb - your dogs are lovely! ;) Great ideas though. It would be great to have a camino-wide litter ‘scheme‘ that future pilgs could sign up to. It could have its own guidebook with potential hotspots that people could help to keep clear as they pass. All to leave the place better than they found it and do soething to offset their flight (kind of). Buen camino.

Most Spanish do not view themselves as charity cases. If they are employed, they make a living. If they are unemployed, they want to be employed, not on charity. So I suggest that you spend a bit lavishly when in Spain and keep the economy going. Donate at the churches. Don't squeeze a Euro until it squeals. Help out the truly indigent with alms. Eat in restaurants instead of self-catering. Pick up a little bit of trash each day. Volunteer in one of the dwindling number of albergues. I am sure you can think of more!
What Falcon says, definately, eat well, support local, tip well, and also tyrrek, the trash was pretty bad in spots this year but there was only so much of it one could pick up. A HAS MAT suit was required for most of it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
to alexwalker: i read your entries by chance and read you´ve done the VldP. any recommendations as to good guidebooks close in quality of Brierley´s notorious guidebooks or any for that matter? did you find the stages very hard / long and were there few albergues? would be thankful for advice & reply. and btw about giving something back... i´ve been so compelled of buying an estate, or ruin, along the frances to turn into an albergue. found a splendid house in one village just after fromista that i kind of fell in love with, i was SO close to get a tour of the house of the present owner but it didn´t happen because it was a sunday that day....but the HOUSE....omg it was just like a dream. but it needed some fixing done to it to shape it up, but still.... :)

Just listening to a report from Portugal. The Portugese centre right coalition have just passed further austerity measures on top of those already in place. This will continue to add to the economic woes, and increase the exodus particularly of young Portugese people seeking better prospects in Brasil, Mozambique, Angola and elsewhere.

Thanks for this thought provoking thread Alexwalker and Bon Camino with this particular project.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ohh guys you really getting some emotions from my after reading your post!
As a spaniard living in Madrid I'll give you my point of view, yes many Spanish people and immigrants are going through very bad times.
One you or anyone could help is very easy, you know the country and you know the Spanish people ! Is your experience.
Then simply tell others about it, tell others to visit Spain, tell others to do the Camino, but the Camino is just the pik of the iceberg, there's a lot to see and to enjoy and I'm not talking about tourist areas , beaches, etc .
There are so much history , monuments , mountains, landscape, ,museums .
Tell people of your country about Spanish food or about Spanish products, consume then , be an AMBASADOR in your neighborhood.
Tell the positive part of Spain and the Spanish people, there's much more to it than corrupción , yes we are no very organised people , but positive is olso found.
Anyway tell people what have you seen dawn here!
If this lines make any sense or give you an idea of how to be grateful then I'll be happy.
Buen Camino a todos and keep the beautiful part in your daily life.

There are so much history , monuments , mountains, landscape, ,museums .
Tell people of your country about Spanish food or about Spanish products, consume then , be an AMBASADOR in your neighborhood.
Tell the positive part of Spain and the Spanish people, there's much more to it than corrupción , yes we are no very organised people , but positive is olso found..
Hi Pruden, well said !

Pruden, I really appreciate your posting and your ideas and to all who have contributed to this post, thank you as well. I for one, speak of my Caminos, Spain and my experiences all the time (my family can truly vouch for that!!). This past spring and summer, I volunteered at two albergues (Albergue de Peregrinos Hospital San Bruno in Moratinos and Albergue Fin del Camino in Santiago) and it was a great experience. I plan to continue to volunteer on my future Caminos, but if at any time I could find specific ways to contribute to what Rebekah mentioned (barrios, schools etc) I would gladly consider that as well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great post.

I have been thinking about this all morning. Here is one idea, not really related to the camino but still... I believe Alex lives in Norway, so it is related to that.

Many of the Spaniards that are suffering these days are children. I hear of children not having enough food at home, and depend on the food served at school to get enough each day...

...and then I read that Spanish has become a very popular 3rd language to learn in Norway (after english and norwegian), but that there are not enough qualified teachers....

If you could connect teachers in Norway and Spain (at a school level or teacher level) all kinds of collaborations could happen... Classes could exchange assignments, teachers could exchange experiences/classes or do seminars for each other (via skype)... don't know... imagination is the limit. Then, when a connection has been made, one could see how one could help the kids in Spain with other more material things.... What I think is important first is to become partners/friends... then the rest comes automatically. As you can see, this is not very well thought out... but with some imagination and effort, who knows :)

If set up right could continue "forever" and help kinds as they move up through the classes.

Just my 5 cents.. :)
Saludos,
Ivar

Next Camino will be next spring: ...

Hi Alex,
Lovely post and great suggestions that you have received already. Let me just suggest to take all of them with you on your next Camino and sees what the Camino "tells you to do". Perhaps the right decision will reveal itself to you when walking - things like that do happen on the Camino ;-) SY

I the name of many Spanish people i want to say thanks for your worries , cares, ideas, etc.
Maybe we or you want change people difficaults times, but before any thing is done ideas and thoughts must be put on top of the table
Share with others your fulfilment.

Keep walking your Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would believe that even if one spends money where no money as such is all that needed (eg the statement on the caminorelated businesses managing) one would still make an impact as these money would be spend on non caminorelated stuff and in that way spread out to other parts of a community...

Alex, I completely agree, the Camino changes lives. I found this in one of the Churches on my Camino walk and read it now and then to remind me of the change in my. Enjoy

Camino Prayer
Although I may have traveled all the roads,
Crossed mountains and valleys from east to west,
If I have not discovered the freedom to be myself,
I have arrived nowhere.
Although I may have shared all of my possessions
With people of other languages and cultures;
Made friends with Pilgrims of a thousand paths,
Or shared albergue with Saints and Princes,
If I am not capable of forgiving my neighbor tomorrow,
I have arrived nowhere.
Although I may have carried my pack from beginning to end
And waited for every Pilgrim in need of encouragement,
Or given my bed to one who arrived later then I,
Given my bottle of water in exchange for nothing;
If upon returning to my home and work
I am not able to create brotherhood
Or make happiness, peace and unity,
I have arrived nowhere.
Although I may have had food and water each day
And enjoyed a roof and shower every night;
Or may have had my injuries well attended,
If I have not discovered in all that the Love of God,
I have arrived nowhere.
Although I may have seen all the monuments
And contemplated the best sunsets;
Although I may have learned a greeting in every language
Or tasted the clean water from every fountain;
If I have not discovered who is the author
Of so much beauty and so much peace,
I have arrived nowhere.
If from today I do not continue walking on your path,
Searching and living according to what I have learned;
If from today I do not see in every person, friend or foe
A companion on the Camino;
If from today I cannot recognize God,
The God of Jesus of Nazareth
As the one God of my life
I have arrived nowhere.
Fray Dino. La Faba

Another thought that crossed my mind today as your post stayed with me and I was pondering it: Charities like Anfas, see http://www.anfasnavarra.org/ will most likely suffer from less funding / donations PLUS they do work on the Camino (in Estella see http://www.albergueanfas.org/inicio.php?tipo=1&id=2 ) and make a difference to the handicapped people working there, to the local community where they work and to the pilgrims. Perhaps a cause worth supporting? SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am happy to see that many share my concerns. I am blessed in the sense that I am retired and can come and go as I please, so time and money is of no concern to me. Not that I am rich in money, but I manage perfectly on a pension that is X times the size of an average Spanish income. I have abosutely no need for any paycheck. It is just that all bad things going on feels so unfair for the Spanish especially seen in the light of what The Way/people has given to me when in Spain. Will walk and think. I do not believe that I qualify as a hospitalero, since my Spanish is "excotic" (I manage to get along, though, and speak the language more than many pilgrims).

Many Spaniards come to Norway to seek proper work. Unfortunately, they very often fail. There was a heartbreaking TV program about a failing couple who spent all their savings for nothing.:( Maybe I could teach Norw. somewhere, although I'm not a teacher, and my Spanish is poor (but I want to learn it). I am hopeful something will emerge.

Ivar: Vi får se hva som skjer!

Vagabond: Would be off-topic. If I see you in the VdlP sectiion of the forum, I can answer ;)

Most of us were raised in consumer economies, where money is power and spending is the way to change things for the better, where consuming and spending are the engines of progress and goodness. It is not good or bad, it just is how we live and see the world.

I think Alex is touching on something beyond that. He is not looking for a charity to give money to, or a short-term volunteer opportunity. He does not just want to come and be a generous tourist, a consumer. He wants to put in not just his money, but his time and effort, love and will. He does not want to buy a bouquet and support the florist, he wants to invest -- he wants to plow the ground and plant the seeds and grow the flowers! It´s easy to spend money, the entire world is geared to that. But investing is hard work, and it doesn´t always feel good or get noticed or even succeed so well. It is risky. Other people see it and think it´s crazy.

But it is tremendously satisfying. And I think it is where our futures lie.

Alex, I completely agree, the Camino changes lives. I found this in one of the Churches on my Camino walk and read it now and then to remind me of the change in my. Enjoy
Wonderful and deep thoughts to be practices and lived daily!
So much inspiration flowing today, maybe we want change the world but for sure we going on the right WAY.
THANKS.

Camino Prayer
I have arrived nowhere.
I have arrived nowhere.
I have arrived nowhere.
I have arrived nowhere.
I have arrived nowhere.
I have arrived nowhere.
Fray Dino. La Faba

Deep and wordefu
Jeff, post: 164330, member: 31142"]Alex, I completely agree, the Camino changes lives. I found this in one of the Churches on my Camino walk and read it now and then to remind me of the change in my. Enjoy

Camino Prayer
I have arrived nowhere.
I have arrived nowhere.
I have arrived nowhere.
I have arrived nowhere.
I have arrived nowhere.
I have arrived nowhere.
Fray Dino. La Faba[/quote]
Deep and wonder

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Reb said:

"He wants to put in not just his money, but his time and effort, love and will."

You have looked through me... I am not rich (moneywise), but I have hands, time and am self-sufficient. Maybe I can help someone.

You are lovely, Reb.

Edit: So many of us walk the Camino, and most of us come out on the other side with changed lives and new insights. But what do we do with our new insight? I wholeheartedly support Reb's words about the material society, and whether we should think differently. Maybe each one should lean back for a second and think about what values they spend their lives on? I do. Even as an "old" man of 59, The Camino is indeed a powerful teacher for me.

Jeff, thanks for the poem: I loved it.

Last edited:
I think everyone here is making fantastic points. I wanted to agree heartily especially with Pruden, Rebekah and Ivar (and hello the rest). I've been living in and writing about Spain for the last few years and have seen the situation there dissolving every day worse and worse, though the public face of the people wouldn't let you know that. They've been hit hard by stupid decisions made by inept people high up the ladders where those kinds of decisions are made and where the 'common man' can only look on and say 'great, so there goes this or that benefit'. My friends ask me where they can find work in the UK all the time. To have to leave your country must be a terrible thing.

The camino and the current state of Spain I think are only faintly tied into each other. Just like when we look at the statistics. On paper Spain is down the toilet with Greece and Italy yadda yadda. However, if you go to the coastal resorts or the rich industrial centres and tourist hubs you'll be left thinking 'what crisis?'. People seems happier and more keen to eat and drink and to be out socialising than the people back where you've come from. As the aforementioned posters have said, the problems are not really on the camino as such. They are elsewhere, endemic and more picaresque. True, you come across tiny out of the way farming villages on the camino that are ramshackle and dilapidated and house a few weathered types that can be found out in the fields or in the bars, but that is how those places have probably always been.

The issue of truly giving back as opposed to the obvious and well-made points of staying in albergues, eating at the local joints, donating where you can, is indeed a tricky one. I have no answers. I suppose you could say that part of the historic point or nature of the camino is that the pilgrim is not meant to give back. But that's another debate.

As long as we keep going to the camino - and to my favourite country of Spain in general, for it it rich and fat with beauty - and keep telling people about it; keep loving it and passing on its merits, that must count for something.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Q_FNBBV813OtMClRc43BQ

So happy.

My first camino, the Frances in 2009, was a serious eyeopener to me, and created the foundation in me for the love of the camino. The Way returned 1000-fold back to me. I learnt a lot, and I can truly, and thankfully, say that it changed who I am. Hopefully, I am much better. I feel that way, anyway. My walks on VdlP in 2011 and 2012 gave me tough lessons, and I wanted to give up several times, but thanks to my pilgrim friend Jurgen from Germany, I made it. A solid lesson in stamina and determinaton, as well as more life vision and understanding. Thank you, Camino and Jurgen.

So sad.

On my walks, I have met many people who have brightened my life. Especially Spanish locals, even being in dire trouble, offering me food, drink, and hospitality. Spain is in big trouble in many ways, these days. I hurt for the people. It is very depressing that this country with all its history and culture, is having such a hard time. It concerns me (concerns for the people of Spain). I have received so much good, so much friendship, so much help, so much friendliness, on my walks in Spain. I have fallen in love with the country an dnot least, its people.

What can one do?

I am twisting my head on that one. I want to pay back for all I have received by the Spanish people on the Camino. What can I do? I have been thinking a lot about this. Should I go back and adopt a Spanish group? Should I start an albergue? Should I ... what?

I am really concerned about how to pay back all what the Spanish people are offering to the pilgrims (and toristigrinos...) of the world.

I can understand what you feel because I have got the same feelings after my "caminos" about this spanish people is in big trouble, You are a good man : so the only advice I can give you is :eek:pen your hearth and walk and walk again on thoose caminos, sleeping in albergues, eating their food, and speaking with them : I mean : exchanging with them: they are everytime happy when foreign people come to meet them and begins to speak them (sorry for may bad english!)
Regards
Dominique

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So happy.

So sad.

What can one do?

Hi Alex I just want to know how you got the small walker image animated walking just beside your name: it's funny I like to have it on my computer! thanks
regards
Dominique

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I can't help but wonder, given our passionate search for how we can help Spain, how may opportunities we are missing out on, just because we are focusing on Spain. There are a lot of countries in the world that a lot of people want to help. And there are a lot of published ways to do this. Why not broaden the approach, collect some generic strategies, and then refocus on Spain, if that's what we wish to do? I always like to learn from what others are doing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lynnejohn,

You are perfectly right: Much to do all around the globe. I just want to do some paypack to somewhere that has given me so much. In my mind, Spain deserves payback for what it and they (the people) have given to me. Other than that I fully agree. But I think I will start with Spain.

I will never ever forget the (very) old lady in Merida (VdlP) who came begging one afternoon, and I gave her nothing. Sitting with my coffee at a restaurant. She rounded the corner, and all of a sudden I realized what a huge asshole I was. I ran after her, but she had disappeared. The next day I returned to the cafe to look for her, she showed up on her daily beging trip, I invited her for a coffee, collected money for her among the other guests, added what I had, and got a beautiful kiss on my cheek in return. Best kiss in a long time. I know it is not much, but alone, I cannot save the world; only brighten the occational day.

It has haunted me since. It was then that I realized that maybe I could make some difference, small as it may be. It is this Camino thing that the knowers know. I will walk and think, I think.

Last edited:
Alex, you are a light in the world. Nurture your light and share it where it is needed most.
One of my favorite Canadian artists says it this way:

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back