• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks

bprohs

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I’m trying to figure out what socks to wear in September on the Portuguese coastal route. I’ve got a couple of different wool socks and several different liners. I have some Omni wool medium cushion socks, a pair of smart wool light cushion socks. I have injinji socks, a pair of silk liners and a pair of thin quick drying liners. I’m just curious what recommendations people might have or what they’ve worn on their Camino (s). Thanks in advance!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No matter how many times a question has been asked. There is always someone that needs to know that answer. Unfortunately I think socks are nearly as individual as shoes. It all depends on what your feet like. I did the Frances, wearing expensive dual layer socks. That were great. But I still ended up with a small blister. On the Portuguese last year. I was wearing hiking (branded) socks I`d bought from Aldi`s. For $11.99 for 2 pair. And they were a treat. I think it comes down to how your feet fit in your boots. I`d go with either Wool or Bamboo. Hope that helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ve used two pairs of Wrightsocks (double layers to avoid blisters) last October on the Portuguese. Got no blisters, would highly recommend. Also, there’s a Camino edition which I loved!

While they aren’t cheap, this will only be a tiny fraction of your overall budget. I would never skimp on shoes or socks.

@hunsta say’s, it’s completely individual, comfort is king. I don’t wear liner’s, inji toe socks etc- I wear just one brand, ( Darntuff) year round. But I don’t have your feet!

What’s your most comfortable shoe/ sock combo? That’s your answer.
Snap!! I have a small suitcase of socks🤣! (tried toe socks felt so weird, thousand mile, bamboo, Wright socks Cool Max and more)
Also tried the sock, sock liner and Vaseline to start my Coastal in September 2021!
By the end of day Two i was back to just the Darn Tough's as my feet cooked in the 25C heat even in none waterproof Hokas.
If you walk at home and cover a few miles a day and your socks are good to go wear them; i could have brought a small bungalow with what i spent on socks🤣

I wear Darn Tough light hiker crew and Darn Tough 1466 hiker socks the y suit me best (my other tip for socks is wear them inside out because even supposed seamless socks have imperfections on the inside that often rubbed my pinkies)

Some people swear by double layers and toe socks. That doesn't work for me. I haven't had a blister since my first Camino in 2016, probably because I found shoes and socks that work well for me. I wear Darn Tough and Icebreaker midweight hiking socks. I don't do anything to my feet except keep my toenails trimmed short. No Vaseline or other products.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Snap!! I have a small suitcase of socks🤣! (tried toe socks felt so weird, thousand mile, bamboo, Wright socks Cool Max and more)
Also tried the sock, sock liner and Vaseline to start my Coastal in September 2021!
By the end of day Two i was back to just the Darn Tough's as my feet cooked in the 25C heat even in none waterproof Hokas.
If you walk at home and cover a few miles a day and your socks are good to go wear them; i could have brought a small bungalow with what i spent on socks🤣

I wear Darn Tough light hiker crew and Darn Tough 1466 hiker socks the y suit me best (my other tip for socks is wear them inside out because even supposed seamless socks have imperfections on the inside that often rubbed my pinkies)
No matter how many times a question has been asked. There is always someone that needs to know that answer. Unfortunately I think socks are nearly as individual as shoes. It all depends on what your feet like. I did the Frances, wearing expensive dual layer socks. That were great. But I still ended up with a small blister. On the Portuguese last year. I was wearing hiking (branded) socks I`d bought from Aldi`s. For $11.99 for 2 pair. And they were a treat. I think it comes down to how your feet fit in your boots. I`d go with either Wool or Bamboo. Hope that helps.
It did help. I’m thinking wool is my best bet.

That did help. I’m going with wool.

As @hunsta say’s, it’s completely individual, comfort is king. I don’t wear liner’s, inji toe socks etc- I wear just one brand, ( Darntuff) year round. But I don’t have your feet!

What’s your most comfortable shoe/ sock combo? That’s your answer.

Buen Camino!
Great answer!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some people swear by double layers and toe socks. That doesn't work for me. I haven't had a blister since my first Camino in 2016, probably because I found shoes and socks that work well for me. I wear Darn Tough and Icebreaker midweight hiking socks. I don't do anything to my feet except keep my toenails trimmed short. No Vaseline or other products.
I really hadn’t thought about my toenails, but that makes sense.

Here is another vote for Wrightsocks - double layered. They have been my go-to! Never had a blister.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I’m trying to figure out what socks to wear in September on the Portuguese coastal route. I’ve got a couple of different wool socks and several different liners. I have some Omni wool medium cushion socks, a pair of smart wool light cushion socks. I have injinji socks, a pair of silk liners and a pair of thin quick drying liners. I’m just curious what recommendations people might have or what they’ve worn on their Camino (s). Thanks in advance!
I never liked liners...they always seemed to bunch up on me - just get a good pair of socks and that's it. My go to now is Darn Tough - they make several different thicknesses and heights. Theyre not cheap but really do the job and have an amazing guarantee.

Darn tough only. But I keep my toenails very short (the ones I have left) and rub my feet AND TOES with Foot/Body Glide (REI) before putting on my socks in the morning. I have occasionally seen a similar "glide" on the Compeed displays in Spain. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Darn tough only. But I keep my toenails very short (the ones I have left) and rub my feet AND TOES with Foot/Body Glide (REI) before putting on my socks in the morning. I have occasionally seen a similar "glide" on the Compeed displays in Spain. Buen Camino
There was a popular "glide" on the Camino - I think Tiger Balm - that a lot of my Camino friends used and liked. And, ditto the Darn Tough socks recommendation.

I walked the del Norte from Irun last September and took 3 pairs of Darn Toughs with me ( wore one pair and carried two). It is very individual as others say, but I found them very comfortable and a pleasure to wear even in sone pretty unseasonably hot weather. They lived up to their name too with not a stitch out of place after 500 odd miles and some less than delicate treatment. I had no blisters and didn’t use any foot treatments. Just kept my toenails trimmed and filed smooth to get rid of any rough edges that might catch or rub.

€83,-
I walked the del Norte from Irun last September and took 3 pairs of Darn Toughs with me ( wore one pair and carried two). It is very individual as others say, but I found them very comfortable and a pleasure to wear even in sone pretty unseasonably hot weather. They lived up to their name too with not a stitch out of place after 500 odd miles and some less than delicate treatment. I had no blisters and didn’t use any foot treatments. Just kept my toenails trimmed and filed smooth to get rid of any rough edges that might catch or rub.
What thickness of Darn Toughs did you use?

I used foot glide and light weight icebreaker merino wool sock as a liner covered with a Medium weight Icebreaker merino wool sock. Quit using the foot glide half way through the Camino and only used medium weight socks on some days. I was super worried about blisters because i'am not a hiker but did not get one. I was originally worried my feet would get too hot with two socks on because I've never used this method before but they didn't I will use the same method this year.

That did help. I’m going with wool
Not so fast! The most important message is that you need to test them yourself by walking 15-20 km for 2 or 3 days in a row.

I normally wear merino well socks at home. However, on the camino and in warmer weather, I find that my feet do better with tighter-fitting less-soft synthetic socks. I take 4 pairs - one wool, one synthetic crew-height, and 2 shorter synthetic socks that are the main daily walking ones.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

You cracked me up! You sound like me, between socks and underwear I could have afforded a first class ticket to Porto. I like the idea of turning your socks inside out. I tried it and you’re right about the bumps. I found them in two different brands.

Not so fast! The most important message is that you need to test them yourself by walking 15-20 km for 2 or 3 days in a row.

I normally wear merino well socks at home. However, on the camino and in warmer weather, I find that my feet do better with tighter-fitting less-soft synthetic socks. I take 4 pairs - one wool, one synthetic crew-height, and 2 shorter synthetic socks that are the main daily walking ones.
Good point. We walk about 5 miles a day now, but will bump it up substantially this summer in preparation for our Camino, so I’ll be trying several different types and combinations of socks.

If the socks you wear for 5 miles are good enough why let them down. They want to do Camino too.

The Camino isn’t another place. It’s just the same as everywhere as far as clothing and equipment goes. Wear what is comfortable, what suits you. Why try and change out the familiar and comfortable just because

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Compeed Anti friction stick applied each morning to potential hot spots as a precaution n Creepers Merino toe socks did it for me on Madrid and San Savador caminos last year. Rule 1 of caminos ..Look after feet from Day One p.s. soak n wash socks b4 wearing !

I used foot glide and light weight icebreaker merino wool sock as a liner covered with a Medium weight Icebreaker merino wool sock. Quit using the foot glide half way through the Camino and only used medium weight socks on some days. I was super worried about blisters because i'am not a hiker but did not get one. I was originally worried my feet would get too hot with two socks on because I've never used this method before but they didn't I will use the same method this year.
I just got a couple of icebreakers, and was indecisive about getting two mini light cushion hike, or getting one of those and one crew medium cushion hike. In the end I'm bringing two of the same, light cushion mini; I figured since it will be SUMMER then the medium cushion would be a bit too hot ? maybe, If someone suggest I take one of each then I think I can still trade them back heheh

I don't think medium cushion will be too hot. I take one pair of medium and one of thicker Darn Tough on all my Caminos, north and south. That's because I have to wear different size boots due to a big bunion. In Vietnam us old soldiers (very young, then) were (delightfully) issued thick pure wool socks. They worked well. I don't recall a single blister. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't think medium cushion will be too hot. I take one pair of medium and one of thicker Darn Tough on all my Caminos, north and south. That's because I have to wear different size boots due to a big bunion. In Vietnam us old soldiers (very young, then) were (delightfully) issued thick pure wool socks. They worked well. I don't recall a single blister. Buen Camino
Awesome! So in your opinion would be better to bring one light and one medium cushion?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.