• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spain total solar eclipse, August 12, 2026: Are camino towns preparIng?

Time of past OR future Camino
Podiensis, Portugues, Primitivo, 6 others
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience of a total eclipse and are eager to go to Spain in two years to see the total solar eclipse there. It will move from northwest to southeast, passing over many camino paths, from the Norte and Frances all the way to the Ebro and Levante.

Are Spanish towns preparing for the millions who may be coming, not just European neighbors, but others from around the world? If so, would love to hear about it. We reserved a year in advance for the one here in the U.S. yesterday and want to reserve as early as possible for the Spanish one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We're still in Texas after seeing the total eclipse. We've been doing a lot of driving for this (but also visiting relatives). Worth it.

Anyway, here's Spain 2026 eclipse information (the info is on a webpage about a tour but I'm not pushing that; it's already sold out and the waiting list is full too).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Forum readers know how much I struggled on the Primitivo last year.

Then I looked at the eclipse map for Aug 12, 2026. The totality centerline looks like it goes within a km of Salas.

My family is now laughing hysterically at me contemplating whether I could do it again, but start earlier, go slower, and be in/near Salas on the 12th...

It will be interesting to compare the effect on Camino numbers of the eclipse in 2026 with the Holy Year effect. Looking at the path of totality, it seems to cover most of the Frances, the Norte, the Primitivo, the Ingles, and a number of smaller routes. I can certainly imagine there will be a number of people shifting their Camino to coincide with the eclipse, who might not otherwise choose to walk in August. I expect that there we will see both some increase in numbers as well as a shift within the year making August busier but some other parts of the year less busy. On the other hand, I don't expect that little villages in the meseta will fill up. There is just too much of Spain in totality and too many places with more to attract normal folk and easier to get to than our little villages.

If you miss the 2026 total eclipse, there is another just a year later, in early August 2027 in Spain again. But this one is at the very southern tip of Spain. Not so close to many popular Caminos and not the time I'd want to walk there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is a saying on the wall in the albergue in St JPdP , warning pilgrims about the month ahead.
It might be applicable here;
How do you make God laugh ?
Tell him your plans

Seeing a total eclipse is a VERY cool experience, so I wouldn't discourage anybody from going to see one.

Consider this from https://eclipsophile.com/tse2026/

Viewing the eclipse in Spain is complicated by the low sun, only 10 degrees of elevation on the north coast and a mere 4 degrees above the horizon at the Balearic Sea during totality. The view to the Sun must be clear at the horizon whatever may be present in the rest of the sky. In the latter parts of the eclipse track, care must be taken to avoid hills along the horizon or an unfortunately placed forest.

The page also covers the climate history of clear skies for several areas on the date of the eclipse. Good info in any case!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Since I was jealous of my American compatriots going eclipse-crazy (I live in Barcelona), I started to try to book a hotel in Spain. The calendars don't go that far in the future! It seems US-based tours have sold out. Spain is kind of slow...it seems not too much talk yet about it here. I think there's time!

Figure out the angle of viewing; since it is near sunset it is probably to the southwest. The sun will be low in the sky so seek a spot with no hills, buildings or trees in the way. Maybe hike up a mountain.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.