Spontaneous gear test

woody66

This is my boy !
Jul 14, 2020
UK Lincs
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi everyone!
My initial intention was to put on my hands free brolly and see if i could still use my Altus over the pack and do it up without any interference!
However my daughter suggested we test it; so here's the result!
The vid (there was more but says their to big) are just a little of my darling girls torture fest ha!ha!
Best bit was it didn't leak and it went on for several minutes at full pelt.
Worst bit was my language.
Watching might give someone the confidence to try one;or just a laugh at the expense of the looney dancing around with a silver brolly!
Woody.

Attachments

• VID-20210515-WA0001.mp4
    4.8 MB
Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Dec 28, 2007
Norway and UK
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Thank you, @woody66! I will be taking my lightweight Altus and the same silver brolly so I appreciate the torturous testing on my behalf! And a special thanks for letting me see the yellow Altus in real life, I was wondering how yellow it actually was. Buen camino!

RemysMimi

Hooked on the Camino!!
Apr 27, 2019
Sacramento, CA
Frances (2018)
Frances or Portuguese (2020)
Hi everyone!
My initial intention was to put on my hands free brolly and see if i could still use my Altus over the pack and do it up without any interference!
The vid (there was more but says their to big) are just a little of my darling girls torture fest ha!ha!
Watching might give someone the confidence to try one;or just a laugh at the expense of the looney dancing around with a silver brolly!
Woody.
Kids. You gotta love 'em. Are you rich? I think she was trying to drown you. LOL

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Jul 28, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
2024 Aragones, Madrid, Portugues Coastal
Hi everyone!
Woody.
As good as any Martin Scorsese or Christopher Nolan film!!! May I give you a bit of advice putting that Altus Poncho on. I have worn the same one for 5 Caminos and it looks exactly like mine. You will sweat in them but it will also keep you warm walking in late fall or winter like I do.
My tip is when the wind starts to blow and you know you better put your Poncho on I hold it over my head near the top and face the wind. The poncho flaps like a flag and is horizontal to the ground. Then I put one arm in and then the other. In this way the Poncho does not get caught on the back of your pack and it covers you properly. Before I had the great revelation if I was walking alone it was a major hassle getting it on and the back of the poncho pushed all the way down.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

woody66

This is my boy !
Jul 14, 2020
UK Lincs
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
So glad for the video. I had no idea what you were writing about in English “brolly” = poncho in American. Lovely video 👏👏 🚿 ☔️ 🌧.
Hi El Cascayal!
Not quite; brolly is an informal way we say umbrella in the UK!
Glad you liked the video;my daughter certainly enjoyed soaking me and i was glad that the poncho kept me dry!
All the best Woody.

Jean Ti

Mar 17, 2019
Hi everyone!
Woody.
[/QUOTE

I did walk the Camino Portuguese in November were it rain almost daily!

I was wearing the Altus rain gear the same you are wearing. After a long walk you get wet simply because there is no ventilation at the wrists level. Your arms are completely wet because there is no ventilation at the are level.

Instead of the wrist attached with elastic band button or Velcro would be very useful.

My 2 cents comments

Last edited:
  • Thank you
Reactions: woody66

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Having had two sets of poles taken from me at the airport on my return flight (traveling cabin luggage only) I want to buy poles cheaply on arrival before O begin my Camino..either in Santiago or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.