Start walking next week

ver-lopen

Sep 10, 2022
Amsterdam
Time of past OR future Camino
09-2022
Hi all, Maria from Amsterdam here.
I will walk the Frances Camino next week and am very excited to actually start doing it. I know the first days are hard so I take it slow. I will be walking alone.
Question; no shops along that first day or at Orisson so I need to bring supplies?
Thx Ivar for this forum It’s so great to have this community!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
I will walk the Frances Camino next week and am very excited to actually start doing it. I know the first days are hard so I take it slow. I will be walking alone.
Question; no shops along that first day or at Orisson so I need to bring supplies?

Hi and welcome here.
There are sufficient shops at St-Jean Pied de Port ( Carrefour , Lidl etc but also small grocery shops ) to buy some essentials for underway.

If there on a Monday : weekly market.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

JimG59

Feb 25, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Camino Portuguese (Lisbon) 23, Camino del Norte 24
I’m also starting my Camino on Wednesday next week. Arrive late in STJPDP on Tuesday evening, after the main supremarkets close. Is there small shops open selling provisions ?

Marie, maybe we’ll see you along the way. First day straight to Roncesvalle.

ver-lopen

Sep 10, 2022
Amsterdam
09-2022
I’m also starting my Camino on Wednesday next week. Arrive late in STJPDP on Tuesday evening, after the main supremarkets close. Is there small shops open selling provisions ?

Marie, maybe we’ll see you along the way. First day straight to Roncesvalle.
Oh well I decided to stop at Orisson the first night..heard it was hard the first day..

Reactions: JimG59 and KimKR
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Oh well I decided to stop at Orisson the first night..heard it was hard the first day..
The first day out of SJPdP is all uphill, and parts are very steep.

It take 2-3+ hours to get to Orisson depending on your fitness, and there's not a lot to do once you get up there, so no need to get an early start. I would recommend that you leave St Jean later in the morning or even after lunch.

Do you already have your reservation at Orisson?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Padraic T

Jul 28, 2022
Greenisland, Carrickfergus
Planned Sarria to Santiago
I start next Tuesday morning 20th from Sarria, walking to Santiago

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: trecile
Mar 20, 2016
2016 fall
Which date do you start walking? We start 25 September fro SJPP

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Martin 888

Dec 1, 2019
Newfoundland, Canada
CF ‘19 and ‘22, CP ‘23 and ‘24, CN ‘24
If you head to the Spanish Gates at the top of the town where the Camino route leaves SJPdP and turn right along the road out of town for about 200yds (temporarily off the Camino route) you will find a small bakery on the right hand side of the road. Open early and they sell the very, very best baguette based sandwiches and bakery items to take with you up into the mountains. I have purchased sandwiches from this little bakery each of the two times I left town to head up the hill and they’ve been the best on the entire Camino Frances. Well worth a 200yd detour at the beginning of your day……Buen Camino!

Attachments

• 73C741F0-C05A-4E69-934E-4B0389397B91.jpeg
    73C741F0-C05A-4E69-934E-4B0389397B91.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: ver-lopen

ver-lopen

Sep 10, 2022
Amsterdam
09-2022
The first day out of SJPdP is all uphill, and parts are very steep.

It take 2-3+ hours to get to Orisson depending on your fitness, and there's not a lot to do once you get up there, so no need to get an early start. I would recommend that you leave St Jean later in the morning or even after lunch.

Do you already have your reservation at Orisson?
Great will do yes on reservation

Reactions: trecile
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.