• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting camino portugese on feb 17th- worries

konoabar

Time of past OR future Camino
i walked camino frances, planning to walk 17/2 from porto
hello everyone,
some of you that know the portogese way- how bad/good is it to walk it on febuary?
- i am worried that most alberges would be closed
- i am worried that the road marks are not as clear as in camino frances

thank you for the help

noa

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ola @ konoabar. Welcome on the forum. You must count on cold wheather, sometimes rain , storm and wind. Depending where you start Lisbon or Porto. Floods ,mud.
In Portugal are more privat albergues and hostals .so there always will be a place to sleep. People now are used to many pilgrims walking all over the year.
The waymarking on the Portuguese is good. I do not forsee any problems and the local people are helpfull to guide you back on the trail is my experience in case of... Take a guide with you for sure..
Bom caminho

Waymarking on the portugees is excellent. I dare to say (in Portugal part) even better then on the Frances.

The only trouble you might have with arrows is when you enter SdC. A few extra arrows wouldn't have hurt there. But still....its not that difficult once your already there.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In addition to@Dutch 's answer in Santiago. It is not difficult to find the finish of your caminho
Entering Santiago from the south -Padrón and Teo a Casalonga - just follow the waymarks as long as you can . at a certain time crossing the AP 9 motorway and short after the railroad track you can see in the distance the target you are walking towards The cathedral Just entering the urban area , head for the "centro"
Besides that I don't think you are alone Maybe not crowds in February but there will be others with the same intention to end up their caminho.
Bom caminho

In addition to@Dutch 's answer in Santiago. It is not difficult to find the finish of your caminho
Entering Santiago from the south -Padrón and Teo a Casalonga - just follow the waymarks as long as you can . at a certain time crossing the AP 9 motorway and short after the railroad track you can see in the distance the target you are walking towards The cathedral Just entering the urban area , head for the "centro"
Besides that I don't think you are alone Maybe not crowds in February but there will be others with the same intention to end up their caminho.
Bom caminho

Just don't forget that there are two ways to enter in Santiago via the Caminho Portugês :p

hello everyone,
some of you that know the portogese way- how bad/good is it to walk it on febuary?

thank you for the help

noa

The majority of the Public Albergues will be open (the smaller ones, like Mos might close at this time of the year), however there are some private that are closed (Aloxa Albergue in Pontevedra it's one of them). Just have to check out the time schedule, because on the low season, it changes a little bit.

You can check informations about Albergues in the Portuguese Caminho (both the Portuguese and the Spanish part) in here: http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/

You can have more detailed information (opening/closing time, etc) about the Albergues in the Spanish part in here: http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/index.php?option=com_sobi2&catid=5&Itemid=148&lang=es

Waymarking on the portugees is excellent. I dare to say (in Portugal part) even better then on the Frances.

The only trouble you might have with arrows is when you enter SdC. A few extra arrows wouldn't have hurt there. But still....its not that difficult once your already there.

I had an issue in 2013 after leaving Padron in the area of the new rail line construction, I suspect that has been fixed.
One more thing, it never occurred to me how hard it might be to follow arrows when there is snow on the ground because I only walk in the summer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
yes, very true hahaha, what if there is snow. Some arrows will disapear. Never thought about that :)

I don't recall having problems in Padron last year, may 2014.

The markings should be no problem, except maybe SdC, but you can just ask people.
Others have already pointed out the listings for albergues, you can always confirm with them.
The weather forecast is mixed. Its not projected to be very cold, some showers will continue.
I wouldn't expect the paths to be puddles, but it'll still be pretty wet and muddy in parts.
Waterproof boots would be advisable, if your feet are ok with them.

Hi, we completed the Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago yesterday. The markings were excellent especially in Portugal. The arrival in Santiago is not as good with respect to the markings. They could improve. We asked several times and the closer to the cathedral the more difficult it was because the street signs are hard to find.
The only albergue that was closed is the one in Mos. We really liked the municipal albergue and were quite satisfied with them. We were disappointed with the albergue in Barcelos. It had not been cleaned and there was not any hot water. The albergue in Caldais de Reis was substandard. Don't plan on staying at municipal albergue in Santiago, they are located 5 kn in the opposite direction on the Portuguese Camino. I recommend the Mundo albergue at 26 San Clement. Less than 5 minutes from the cathedral. Very clean and very friendly and the hosts speak French and/or English.
Feel free to pm for more info.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, we completed the Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago yesterday. The markings were excellent especially in Portugal. The arrival in Santiago is not as good with respect to the markings. They could improve. We asked several times and the closer to the cathedral the more difficult it was because the street signs are hard to find.
The only albergue that was closed is the one in Mos. We really liked the municipal albergue and were quite satisfied with them. We were disappointed with the albergue in Barcelos. It had not been cleaned and there was not any hot water. The albergue in Caldais de Reis was substandard. Don't plan on staying at municipal albergue in Santiago, they are located 5 kn in the opposite direction on the Portuguese Camino. I recommend the Mundo albergue at 26 San Clement. Less than 5 minutes from the cathedral. Very clean and very friendly and the hosts speak French and/or English.
Feel free to pm for more info.
Congrats ! Good update of the information.

We were disappointed with the albergue in Barcelos. It had not been cleaned and there was not any hot water. The albergue in Caldais de Reis was substandard.

Really the one in Barcelos, or the one in Barcelinhos? And what was the name from the one in Caldas de Reis?

Really the one in Barcelos, or the one in Barcelinhos? And what was the name from the one in Caldas de Reis?
The one in Barcelos and both were the municipal ones.I don't have my book with me but in Barcelos it is the ciudad (city) and the other one Caldas I think is the xunta.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one in Barcelos and both were the municipal ones.I don't have my book with me but in Barcelos it is the ciudad (city) and the other one Caldas I think is the xunta.

There isn't any Xunta Albergues in Caldas de Reis, that's why I was asking :)

There isn't any Xunta Albergues in Caldas de Reis, that's why I was asking :)
Checked my book and its the municipal albergue, Posada Dona Urraca. We stopped for coffee in Meson Don Pulpo and the lady there had indicated that it was so so. She was right, it is old, stuffy, terrible showers and cold and as the book says its provisional.

Diogo92 said "Just don't forget that there are two ways to enter in Santiago via the Caminho Portugês".
However, OSM Outdoors only shows one, so that's what I used.
I don't know where the signage begins to get poor, but perhaps you can print off hardcopy of the relevant segments.
There are multiple background/Map options available in the top right corner.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7034244

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Checked my book and its the municipal albergue, Posada Dona Urraca. We stopped for coffee in Meson Don Pulpo and the lady there had indicated that it was so so. She was right, it is old, stuffy, terrible showers and cold and as the book says its provisional.

No, what happens is that Doña Urraca do the same price has the Xunta Albergues. The Albergue it's managed by the 5Jotas bar, not by AGACS or any volunteers.

Diogo92 said "Just don't forget that there are two ways to enter in Santiago via the Caminho Portugês".
However, OSM Outdoors only shows one, so that's what I used.
I don't know where the signage begins to get poor, but perhaps you can print off hardcopy of the relevant segments.
There are multiple background/Map options available in the top right corner.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7034244

About 3 to 5km from reaching to the cathedral, you will find yourself in front of a bifurcation. To your left side, you have a national road, that goes into Santiago main hospital area. To your right side, you have a green path, wich will also lead you to Santiago, but in a much more greener and beautiful view, with some streams along the path.

And by the way, have you done the Português? I'm just asking this beacuse I see that you only say that you have done the Francês. The way you arrive in Santiago it's different in many Camiños ;)

About 3 to 5km from reaching to the cathedral, you will find yourself in front of a bifurcation. To your left side, you have a national road, that goes into Santiago main hospital area. To your right side, you have a green path, wich will also lead you to Santiago, but in a much more greener and beautiful view, with some streams along the path.

I don't know if this route follows the green path, could you verify that? http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7033581
If it doesn't, is there any documentation of it on the web?

And by the way, have you done the Português? I'm just asking this beacuse I see that you only say that you have done the Francês.

No, I was just trying to help.

The way you arrive in Santiago it's different in many Camiños

I know that the different Caminos arrive in Santiago from different directions, corresponding to where they're originating from - did you look at the map link I provided?
OSM Outdoors shows this very clearly - the Português is the solid red line.

Camino routes entering Santiago.jpg

I don't know if this route follows the green path, could you verify that? http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7033581

I know that the different Caminos arrive in Santiago from different directions, corresponding to where they're originating from - did you look at the map link I provided?

View attachment 16529

Sorry, I haven't seen the link, I thought it was just description, not map on it.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

View attachment 16529

After watching it by satellite view, this it's the green way! Simply because the normal way, goes through Rúa da Cataleta, and pass by Beach Spolport SL (which is located in Santiago hospital).

Last edited:
hello everyone,

thank you for the help

noa

Hi Noa, I am planning to walk the camino portuguese in Feb.2016. How was your experience? what was the weather like? Were there a lot of people on the way? Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back