• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Starting in Bilbao - a six week Camino

MilenaS

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Camino del Norte
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto.

I did the first 200 km of the Frances totally untrained, fat and not a walker back in 2016. Started really slow and got hooked. Now I have walked on the camino 4 times. Still fat and slow, but now a walker
❤

Now I have 6 weeks (+ some days) to walk from Bilbao to Santiago. My backpack is 7.3 kg. I am giddy as a kid. I see that the weather is a bit unpredictable 🙃 But I have enough days to make the rainy days short.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto.

I did the first 200 km of the Frances totally untrained, fat and not a walker back in 2016. Started really slow and got hooked. Now I have walked on the camino 4 times. Still fat and slow, but now a walker
❤

Now I have 6 weeks (+ some days) to walk from Bilbao to Santiago. My backpack is 7.3 kg. I am giddy as a kid. I see that the weather is a bit unpredictable 🙃 But I have enough days to make the rainy days short.

Fat girls rule!

Have the best time you possibly can.

Do keep us posted with text and pics.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❤

Buen camino🥾

I too am thinking of starting in Bilbao, probably this fall, and am looking at the various routes. The Norte to the Olvidado looks interesting to me. What is your plan?

I too am thinking of starting in Bilbao, probably this fall, and am looking at the various routes. The Norte to the Olvidado looks interesting to me. What is your plan?
My plan is Bilbao - Santiago on the Norte. But I have not thought to much about alternatives. Will take it as I go. Some shorter days to start with for sure!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❤

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Did you walk the route blocked by the fences? Why was it closed? I’m walking behind you next week!

Did you walk the route blocked by the fences? Why was it closed? I’m walking behind you next week!
There has been a landslide, as I understand. But it looked fixed for me. I did not see the signs before I started and when I got there I really did not feel like going back. One of the fences I crawled through, and on the other side it was possible to go over the railing. Stressful but doable.

These where the signs on the fence when I got there:

IMG_3282.jpeg

There has been a landslide, as I understand. But it looked fixed for me. I did not see the signs before I started and when I got there I really did not feel like going back. One of the fences I crawled through, and on the other side it was possible to go over the railing. Stressful but doable.

These where the signs on the fence when I got there:

View attachment 168804
Thanks. We encountered similar on a previous Camino and discovered what you did: an obviously fixed trail with no issues EXCEPT the fences in the way 🙄

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Day 3 - Onton to Islares
Beautiful day! Even some paths rather then asphalt (not much, but anything counts). I am staying in the camping in Islares, a cabin of my own (for now) with a heater. After last nights freezing in Onton, I am looking forward to turning on the heat.

I am pushing myself tomorrow (I think) with 22 km to Laredo, but I have a feeling it will work out ok.

View attachment -660468789.mov

Thanks for the updates and Relive videos! I’m walking from Bilbao next week and it’s great seeing the path from someone currently walking it.

Day 4 - Islares to Laredo
Being a long day for me I decided to do the road walk and save some km. Wanted to do the coastal walk into Laredo but with no services I was afraid of running out of water, I hadn’t had my first coffee jet and no food. But as out of the blue, a restaurant appeared and I could refuel. The costal was gorgeous 😍

View attachment -1171678878.mov

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Love seeing the route, thanks for sharing. Would you say that the surface is mostly tarmac/asphalt? I will be doing this route in July and wondering about best shoe options 🤔
Mostly tarmac! But there are options. Yesterday I did the non-tarmac option and loved it. Today I stuck to the road, and it was hard and boring 😂

Day 5 - Laredo to Noja
Lovely stay with the nuns last night. I cried like a baby when I got the blessing. Still don’t know why, but it did good.

A nice start out of Laredo and a quick boat ride later it was tarmac all the way to Noja.
Will be doing the costal towards Somo tomorrow and staying somewhere along that way.

View attachment 1089605094.mov

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Peterexpatkiwi
Just three since I started in Bilbao - don’t remember if there are more:
- La Arena to Onton - can’t recommend since it involves climbing through fences
- Mollaneda to Laredo - gorgeous, but wouldn’t recommend in bad weather
- Guemes to Somo - think is great no matter what

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing your videos, very inspiring! I am also planning to start in Bilbao in the beginning of June. Did you get a pilgrim passport somewhere in Bilbao and if so - where?

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much for sharing your videos, very inspiring! I am also planning to start in Bilbao in the beginning of June. Did you get a pilgrim passport somewhere in Bilbao and if so - where?

Buen Camino!
I ordered it beforehand from my local pilgrim organization. But you can probably get it in Bilbao. You can also order it from Ivar’s store.

❤

You have six weeks, lucky you! I know I am late in responding, but looking again at your posts, I am reminded of a pilgrim who did a much longer pilgrimage from his home in Ireland a year or so ago. The high speed videos and photos are excellent for informing prospective pilgrims about what to expect.
The Norte appealed to me when I saw its call in 2006, but it was then and is now beyond my capabilities. I can simply say: enjoy, make the most of it, and thank you for sharing your experience to help other pilgrims looking at planning for their own Norte pilgrimage. 👣🇳🇴

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There has been a landslide, as I understand. But it looked fixed for me. I did not see the signs before I started and when I got there I really did not feel like going back.
Nice videos, and thank you for posting!

This is the short section just after Pobeña as you approach the old mines? Just to point out.. the path is still closed because ongoing buttressing/underpinning work is continuing. The gates are locked and the corner of the fence that was forced open, has been firmly secured with steel mesh.

How is the weather?? Is it still rainy and cold?!
The weather has been nice. Just one day with rain. It’s pretty cold at night and I have had some bad sleeps because of that. Especially in old buildings. I have a thermal liner and sleep in wool leggings and long sleeves. But still cold sometimes. Even with blankets. The day temperatures have been pretty perfect hiking temperatures.

How’s the crowds were you are? Out of Bilbao tonight was very busy. Many accommodations are “completo” which is shocking for this route this early. Not sure if it’s just a bubble or it’s the same all along the Norte.

How’s the crowds were you are? Out of Bilbao tonight was very busy. Many accommodations are “completo” which is shocking for this route this early. Not sure if it’s just a bubble or it’s the same all along the Norte.
It seems quite busy, at least around me and I'm 3two days out of Bilbao.. and supply is much more limited than you would find on the Frances or Portugués. Are you already walking? Pobeña has a lovely municipal (donativo) albergue, about 24km or 30km from Bilbao, depending on the route you walk..

Most read last week in this forum

My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.