• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in O Porriño

Jackie305

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino Ninja has this route at 102.3km; Brierly has this route at 103kms. Lots of information about starting in Tui, but not many mention O Porriño.
If this is correct and I can start in O Porriño, do I need to get a stamp at a particular “starting” point, or any facility in O Porriño qualifies?
Thank you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Any facility in O Porrino is fine that has a stamp. Cafe, bar etc. There is no particular starting point.

Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O acki, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino Ninja has this route at 102.3km; Brierly has this route at 103kms. Lots of information about starting in Tui, but not many mention O Porriño.
If this is correct and I can start in O Porriño, do I need to get a stamp at a particular “starting” point, or any facility in O Porriño qualifies?
Thank you

Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino Ninja has this route at 102.3km; Brierly has this route at 103kms. Lots of information about starting in Tui, but not many mention O Porriño.
Thank you
Hi Jackie305:

Yes, you can start your walk from O Porriño, but remember, if you will request a Compostela, there is requirement of two (2) stamps per day for the last 100 kms.

Buen Camino.

Iván

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is easy to explain that the lot of pilgrims start in Tui or even in Valença (3 kms beyond Tui at the Portugese side of the border) because Valença and Tui are better to access by e.g. train or bus from Porto ( the train goes to Valença by CP Comboios Portuguêses from Batalha station in Porto. Or the ALSA bus from stop Casa da Música in the center of Porto nearby metrostation Trindade. ALSA stops at the busstation in Valença. See their websites for more information.

If you want to go by public transport to O Porrinño, you have to walk to Tui and find an extra bus to O Porriño .
So that’s why many pilgrims start walking in Tui .
Just have your credential stamped in Valença and walk the 21 kms to O Porriño
If you follow the right way from Tui it is a nice walk .At the end you will have walked about 123 kms to Santiago.

Avoid the walk at the 11 kms long industrial area into O Porrinño and get yourself informed at the Tourist Information in Tui about the green route. In the past restaurant owners changed the waymarkers and you ended up at the industrial area instead of the green detour. The restaurants are situated at the industrial area ( Polygon Industrial in Spanish)
But maybe you will have a good guide book in which the detour will be described
Bom caminho

It is easy to explain that the lot of pilgrims start in Tui or even in Valença (3 kms beyond Tui at the Portugese side of the border) because Valença and Tui are better to access by e.g. train or bus from Porto ( the train goes to Valença by CP Comboios Portuguêses from Batalha station in Porto. Or the ALSA bus from stop Casa da Música in the center of Porto nearby metrostation Trindade. ALSA stops at the busstation in Valença. See their websites for more information.

If you want to go by public transport to O Porrinño, you have to walk to Tui and find an extra bus to O Porriño .
So that’s why many pilgrims start walking in Tui .
Just have your credential stamped in Valença and walk the 21 kms to O Porriño
If you follow the right way from Tui it is a nice walk .At the end you will have walked about 123 kms to Santiago.

Avoid the walk at the 11 kms long industrial area into O Porrinño and get yourself informed at the Tourist Information in Tui about the green route. In the past restaurant owners changed the waymarkers and you ended up at the industrial area instead of the green detour. The restaurants are situated at the industrial area ( Polygon Industrial in Spanish)
But maybe you will have a good guide book in which the detour will be described
Bom caminho
I found O Porrino very easy to get to. I flew into to Vigo through Madrid (would have had to connect to get to Porto anyway) and took the bus, but there is also a train and, because Vigo is only 10 miles from O Porrino, even a taxi isn’t that expensive.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found O Porrino very easy to get to. I flew into to Vigo through Madrid (would have had to connect to get to Porto anyway) and took the bus, but there is also a train and, because Vigo is only 10 miles from O Porrino, even a taxi isn’t that expensive.
Your right but Vigo airport is not a big international airport such as Lisbon or Madrid . But it is a good alternative you mention. From Vigo it is an about 15 minutes taxi ride to O Porriño.

Valença Portugal and/or Tui are more attractive and historical cities to start than this industrial town of O Porriño.

Most read last week in this forum

I just heard from José Luis of the Via Lusitana that they have opened a pilgrim office in Lisbon. It only opens in the afternoons — every day, from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM. It is a small room in the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back