• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting in pamplona

johnnyman

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2011 and 2013
How much time should I budget for walking from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela? I'm thinking 22 days? Not enough?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Depends on who you are and how far you manage to walk each day, and whether you are going to walk all the way and not take stages by bus. I guess most people would need 28-30 days on the road.
ranthr

Pamplona to Santiago in 22 days? Definitely do-able. It depends partially on the kind of shape you are in.

However aside from your level of fitness, there are certain other considerations that might affect your desire of whether to move that quickly. Many people form little “Camino families” preferring to continue much of the journey with the same group of people. This is not likely at such a pace as not many others will keep up with you. As a consequence, in lieu of perhaps forming stronger bonds with fewer individuals you will meet a larger total number of people.

Some may argue that you will have a sense that you are in a race to get to Santiago, thereby not taking time to smell the roses. That depends on the person; for some a faster pace can actually provide a natural endorphin charge, thus enhancing the entire experience and making those roses far more vibrant.

If on a tight schedule to Santiago you find that you have a desire to slow the pace or stop somewhere for an extra period of time, there is always an option of taking some form of transportation for a stage or two. Not that this would be your intent from the outset, but knowing it is possible relieves any time pressure.

My bottom line suggestion is that if at all possible try to schedule a few more days into your trip. Even if reaching Santiago in 21 or 22 days, it’s nice to spend extra days on the back end either in Santiago greeting people you met along the way or unwinding by continuing with a walk to Finisterre. You won’t regret the additional time.

If you absolutely only have 22 days and are physically fit, planning to begin from Pamplona seems like a good idea. When you are a few days to a week into the Camino you should be in a position to judge whether you are on pace. If not look at perhaps hopping a bus for a portion of a less interesting section.

My own experience as a relatively fit 50+ year old was to have in 2010 twice completed the Camino from SSJP to Santiago. Once in 21 days, the other in 22. In both instances I allowed 33-35 days thus having no compulsion to go at any particularly fast pace. That pace was most comfortable for me and in the end that is what matters for each individual.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You'll have to average 32km per day in all terrains, some rocky, steep, gravel-pit trails, some long, flat tedious paths that kill the calf muscles. If you are walking-fit you should manage in 22 days.

Hey, thanks folks! I think I am going to plan 28 days overall, allowing for a day to rest up when I get to Pamplona, then a couple of days in Santiago at the end, including a bus trip out to watch the sun set over the "end of the world" ...

Hello Pilgrims! I am also starting my camino on 24th of august and wanted to ask where to go to get a stamp for my pilgrimpass.. thank you and Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am also starting my camino on 24th of august and wanted to ask where to go to get a stamp for my pilgrim pass.
In Pamplona you can get a stamp at any of the albergues or the cathedral. Bars, hotels, hostales, and the ayuntamiento have them too. Buen camino.

How much time should I budget for walking from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela? I'm thinking 22 days? Not enough?

22 days and allowing 20km per day ... 440 km means start at Fromista.

Pamplona is 720 km from Santiago ... at 20km per day you should allow 36 days.

Can you do more than 20km per day ... Probably. But what would be the point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will try not to repeat some good arguments already listed above but, yes... 22 days from pamplona to Santiago is pretty ok. I'd even go further and say that if you are minimally fit you can do this without having to push yourself that much.

Im not saying those who take 30+ days to walk from Pamplona to Santiago are not fit! Just that, some people feel more comfortable walking longer distances.

IMHO, 20kms per day is a very very very conservative planning. You can do some 20kms a day, but mixed with some 30kms a day without having to feel like you are running to Santiago.

Buen Camino and Good Luck!!

And apparently also post offices http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/...lle_de_producto-sidioma=en_GB?idiomaWeb=en_GB they even sell Credenciales apparently ;-) Buen Camino, SY
Spanish post offices ARE improving!
First Camino I arrived in Pamplona with too much in my pack so went to forward some of it on to SdC.
Post office was empty except for me and one Spanish lady so I walked up to a free counter. The assistant snapped out something in very fast Spanish which I did not understand but the lady kindly took me by the hand to a ticket machine, took the next number and gave it to me.
The very same assistant then served me . . .
Funnily enough the self same thing happened to me in Bastogne a couple of years ago.
Probably why the English invented queuing ;)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back