• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Norte July 5

Tyrowley

Time of past OR future Camino
Future, planning on starting July 4th, 22
Hello from the desert in the USA.

I am planning on starting the Camino del Norte in Irun on July 5th with my girlfriend.

Couple of questions-
What is the best baggage transfer service on the Norte? Not sure if we want to use one, but I figured it would be best to familiarize myself with the options.

What bedding should we bring? Planning on staying in Hotels, Pensions and Albergues.

Thanks in advance!

Tyler & Myla

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In my experience so far, everywhere has provided bedding apart from municipal albergues and some private albergues. Hotels and Casa rurales provide sheets and blankets. (at least, the ones I have stayed in)

For example, when I set out on the Norte late August (2022) I'm only taking a silk sleeping bag liner. That worked on the CF last year and I see no reason why it wont work for the Norte.

Baggage services - We are the wrong side of 60 and don't use one, so cant advise you there.

But, people do use a baggage forwarding service to send their extra gear to their end location, as most people coming a long distance stay in Europe that bit longer and need more gear than their trekking clothes.

Travel light, most people pack their fears. Anything you are short of can be found in Spain.

we’ve just come back from El Norte. We used Correos for all our baggage transfer. Really easy to use and very reliable. Either book well in advance or on a daily basis. Any problems ,they have a great English speaking help line. At just €5 a day, I have no idea why you would carry all your stuff!
P.S, just my opinion. My Camino, my way 😍

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Traveling with my college-age daughter in Villalba on day 11 of our Gijon to Santiago Camino. We brought 55 degree REÍ bags (used frequently and in place of albergue-provided blankets). We also brought liners, which we have not used. Today is a rest day and we decided to splurge on the Parador. Nice to have a private room with twin beds and a bathroom with a tub. Not hugely expensive. Join Amigos de Paradores (free) for discounts and other benefits. Did not use bag forwarding but another pilgrim’s Camino was saved by the Correos service when an injury limited her ability to carry her pack stage-length distances. Buen Camino.

Yay! Very excited for you and your girlfriend. :) I started Del Norte three years ago on July 5. My only bit of advice is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Because you are from the dessert and probably used to dry heat, be forewarned, del Norte is humid, humid as heck, dripping kind of humid and everything damp. I took a silk liner with a small quilted blanket, it was plenty for this time of year no need for a sleeping bag in my opinion. I didn't use transfer on this Camino but have on the Frances. It's a great service when in need.
Buen Camino!! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.