• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Sept. 2011, from Texas

heatherrnw

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: April 2012; Future: June/July 2017
I just booked my flight tonight to fly from Texas into Paris on Sept. 1st. I plan to go from SJPDP to the Santiago. I would be very interested in talking to others who plan to do the Camino around the same time. I believe I should start on Sept. 3rd, but still planning how the trains from Paris and such will work for me as far as schedule.

Doing this pilgrimage has been something I've wanted to do for at least 10 years now. Booking the flight alone filled me with so many different emotions. I think I have gone through excitement, fear, apprehension, and so much more just tonight! I'm sure the next few months will be about the same.

My 37th birthday is August 29th, so this is sort of like giving myself something that I have longed for.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hi there heather, coincidentally i am leaving from australia for my Camino on 1st september as well.
i probably won't be hitting the trail until a few days after you and being in my fifties may be a bit slower and therefore quite behind you. but i just wanted to say hi. i was so excited when i booked my flight. I am currently in training, with a 50km fund raiser as a goal for march 4th. My team is called the Coast trek Caminos in honour of my pilgrimage !!
have fun with all your planning.

Your fund raiser sounds exciting! I wish you the best of luck with it. How long is your flight from Australia? Where will you be flying into? It's definitely an exciting time. I'm trying not to get myself overwhelmed with it and just concentrate on what I need to do to prepare. I booked my date to come back as Oct. 16th, so plenty of time to finish with a few days here and there for some rest and enjoyment. I fly into Paris, getting there in the early morning. I plan to get the train and take it as far as I can, either Bayonne or, hopefully, SJPDP. I think it best to get a room for the night there and start my trek the next day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Heather! You will be starting your camino exactly 2 years after I started mine. I'm also from Texas. :) You may want to consider flying into Biarritz--Easy Jet has early flights from CDG, where you will land in Paris. What I did last time was spend the night at an airport hotel at CDG to get over jet lag, then took the early Easy Jet flight to Biarritz, then the city bus into Bayonne. I had plenty of time to walk around Bayonne--it's lovely & right on the river, before the late-morning train to SJP. Once in SJP, I had time to wander around the town & spend a little time there, instead of feeling as though I just rushed there to sleep & to start early the next day. Best of luck to you, & if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Kelly

Hi Kelly. I love seeing fellow Texans on here!

I've already gotten my ticket, set to go to and from Paris airport, so no changing that. I'm still trying to decide what to do with myself after that. I've read from others to take a train to Bayonne then another on to SJPDP and staying there for the night. I get into Paris at 7:00 am, so was trying to see if I can take a train all the way to St. Jean. But after talking to a friend of mine from Paris, and having his help with the train ticket website, it doesn't sound like it will be so simple. He suggested taking an afternoon train to Bayonne. So I may just change plans to staying over night in Bayonne then taking the train to SJPDP the next morning. Perhaps I will feel less rushed that way. I just want to make sure I am able to get to office for the pilgrim passport in time and not start off too late in the day.

I don't believe (don't quote me on it since I don't read french) that I can book it this early though. So my friend in Paris is going to call the train station for me and ask them what they suggest as the easiest plan is to get there. Of course I have to make sure he leaves a little bit of time for a nice cafè first though ;)

Any and all suggestions on this are sooo welcome, as this has been the one thing I've been spazzing over all day, lol.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, Kelly!

Heather

My wife and I flew into CDG last year in April, arriving around 8:30 am. We stayed in Paris for a day, but there are fast trains (TGV) leaving from stations in Paris that should get you to Bayonne mid to late afternoon. We were lucky in that the train from Bayonne to SJPdP was actually a bus (since the rail line was being repaired) and the bus driver waited for the train from Paris to arrive before he left Bayonne for SJPdP (even though the schedule showed the bus as having left by the time we arrived). We got to SJPdP around 5-ish, had time to get to our chambre d'hote, then explore the town and have a relaxing dinner before bed. Long story to say it should be possible to get from CDG to SJPdP same day (although you may be jet lagged).

The walk over the Pyrenees to Roncevalles by the Route Napoleon is amazing, so much so that I'm going to try to repeat it at the tail end of my walk this year from Le Puy-en-Velay to SJPdP (and then on to Roncevalles). I'm thinking I might even do the return trip from Roncevalles to SJPdP the next day before catching buses, trains and planes to get home - so twice over the Pyrenees in two days! Either that, or if time permits, on to Pamplona and then back to CDG. The planning is fun but the walk is funner!

Buen camino.
Dick

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Heather, I flew to Biarritz on Easy Jet, a one-way ticket from Paris. I did this because my flight from the US wasn't getting to Paris until 4 (via London & BA) & I knew from past experience that I'd be hit hard by jet lag. Since the Easy Jet flight was the next day at 7 a.m., I scouted out the airport hotels & stayed at the Ibis. (not too shabby a deal, really, since I got what I needed) My flight the next day got to Bayonne mid-morning & I took the late morning train to SJP. I didn't feel "rushed" at all, which was great.

It doesn't hurt to look at the airport & train options, just in case, anyway. And even if you take the train, but it doesn't leave until late afternoon/evening, you can still get a deal on a day rate at the airport hotels so you can rest, shower, & relax before hitting the streets. :)

Kelly

Hi Heather,
You have lots of supporters here. Their consensus seems to be Train or Easy Jet from Paris to Bayonne/Biarritz (they are side by side, and there is a regular city bus from the Biarritz airport to Bayonne train station).

You will have a multitude of questions as you prepare. Read the forum here, and don't be afraid to ask.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Although not on this route, I have taken several cheap flights (on Easyjet and other airlines) in Europe as it generally works out much cheaper than the train.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I looked up Easy Jet today and was surprised at the price difference. I estimated the train ticket to be about $140. An easy jet ticket from Paris to Biarritz is only around $47.00. That still leaves getting to SJPDP. I certainly like the idea of taking the easy jet much more than the train the whole way. I wasn't looking forward to spending 8 hours on a train after the almost 11 hour flight. The mention of jet lag is something that has certainly crossed my mind. I'm starting to think of just getting to either Bayonne or St. Jean then taking the next day to recover and do things like get my pilgrims passport and other things I may have discovered I neglected to remember. I also would rather start in the morning, as to be sure I am reaching the first hostel before dark.

I'm starting to realize the journey does not just start on the trail, but more perhaps when you are attempting to get to the beginning of your trail. lol

If you decide to take Easy Jet, book as soon as you can. The price does go up the closer you get to the flight date. :) I've flown Easy Jet several times & while they aren't kidding about being a "no frills" airline, the planes have been clean, the service great, & the flights have left on time. It's very similar to flying Southwest, but without the funny flight attendants, free cokes & peanuts.

As for getting to SJP from Bayonne, it's quite easy. You can take the city bus from the Biarritz airport. Its route ends at the train station. The tourist information desk will have the information available. As for spending the night in Bayonne, there are several hotels, including the Paris Madrid which is right across the street from the train station in Bayonne.

Sillydoll often says (& it's true) that your journey starts at your own front door. I know you want to hurry up & get on the Camino, but trust all of us who say take your time, there's no rush. :)

Kelly

Hi Heather! I'm so jealous - I'm only walking in July 2012 but I've already started blogging about the journey! I wish you all the very best and hope you will keep us updated - already I've learnt so much from all the answers you've received from everyone. And they are right - this is possibly the best place on the internet to gather information and support! I'll be attending a Camino presentation here in Cape Town on the 5th of March - you should find out if there are any such events in your part of the world as well... I know some people just pack a bag and set off on their adventures but I for one like to know what I'm in for and the smallest tips sometimes makes all the difference in how one experiences something.

Buen Camino! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Heather:
I am also from Austin & did part of the Camino last September (Astorga to Santiago) & then went on by bus to Finisterre. This year I am also going to do a part of the Camino in September, but this time the Camino del Norte. (I really feel I became addicted to walking via this experience.) I loved the experience & have a blog: http://www.dustyscamino.blogspot.com & would be glad to provide you any additional Austin-specific information if you would like (e.g. its tough training in August here, but you already would know that!).
Good luck & get in touch (dustylee@sprynet.com) if you want to talk.

In 2006, Joe and I flew into Amsterdam, then took a train to Paris after hanging out in AMS for a few days. We stayed in Paris a few days, then took the train to Bayonne.

I actually quite enjoyed the train trip. I got to see a lot of the countryside I would have missed if I'd flown.

We also spent the night in Bayonne, and too the train to SJPP next morning.
It's an easy change..

Have fun, whatever you decide!
Buen Camino@

WolverineDG said:
As for spending the night in Bayonne, there are several hotels, including the Paris Madrid which is right across the street from the train station in Bayonne.

Cannot locate website for Hotel Paris Madrid in Bayonne. Do you have that info? Do you know the cost?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
HĂ´tel Paris Madrid
Place RĂ©publique, 64100 Bayonne, France
+33 5 59 55 13 98 ‎

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back