Starting tomorrow from Roncevalles

wanderwoman

Jul 18, 2014
Buenos Dias!

I start my camino tomorrow from Roncevalles! Just some last minute questions....leaving madrid early this morning and wondering what I need to take with me to Roncevalles....sounds like there's nothing available there at all? Should I pick up water, snacks etc before arrival? Also, what time do the early bird walkers start walking? Still jet lagged so will get going early tomorrow!

And finally.... Suggestions for accommodation at the end of the day 1?

Gravitas peregrinos,

Amanda

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Amanda,

Roncesvalles monastery
has been welcoming pilgrims for centuries. Within their albergue are vending machines which sell snacks and bottled water but there are no shops as such. However several bar/restaurants also provide food.

One of the many traditions associated with Roncesvalles is the evening blessing of the pilgrims offered by the monks within the historic collegiate church. Do plan to attend; it is a most poignant way to begin your camino.

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:

Alyssa

Mar 11, 2014
California
sometimesshetravels.com
Camino Francés (2014)
Norte, Finisterre, Salvador, Primitivo (2015)
Buenos Dias!

I start my camino tomorrow from Roncevalles! Just some last minute questions....leaving madrid early this morning and wondering what I need to take with me to Roncevalles....sounds like there's nothing available there at all? Should I pick up water, snacks etc before arrival? Also, what time do the early bird walkers start walking? Still jet lagged so will get going early tomorrow!

And finally.... Suggestions for accommodation at the end of the day 1?

Gravitas peregrinos,

Amanda
I'm so excited for you Amanda! I loved leaving the albergues by 6 to see the sunrise (and avoid the heat later in the day). I stayed in Zubiri after Roncesvalles (about 21.5km) but in an albergue that was quite expensive so I wouldn't recommend it. There are other albergues there in Zubiri. Or if you are strong walker you could go past Zubiri to Larrasoaña or if you want to take it easy, you could stop halfway between Roncesvalles and Zubiri at Bikarreta and stay at Corazon Puro. Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

lettinggo

Jan 9, 2012
Hola

I would recommend you to buy something to eat to bring along in case you feel hungry.
As I recall it, there is a supermarket a few kilometers outside Roncesvalles.
In general, whenever you see a shop or tienda, buy what you need, as you will not know how long there is to the next opportunity.
First night I think staying over in Zubiri makes good sense, so you sleep well and treat your jetlag.
The Albergue in Larrasoaña was very 'basic' in 2012 and unless they have upgraded it, I'd prioritize another place for lodging.
Have a great walk!

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
2012, 2013, 2014.
I don't know about now but in 2012 lights came on at 0600 in Roncesvalles with crys of up and away, it still took us till 0730 to leave as we were stiff and sore from the walk the day before. It would be no harm to bring a few snacks and water with you. Take it easy first few days and let your body adjust.
Buen Camino.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2010
Jerusalem
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Wayfarer said "we were stiff and sore from the walk the day before" never heard of such a thing! On the Camino? Pop into a pharmacy (which, by the way, is where you will find someone who can speak English if that is a problem, not the clerks but the Head Pharmacist is the one to look for!) pop into a pharmacy and ask for Radian B, a cream made in France works like BenGay but no smell!!! warms up on touch and helps to soothe aches and pains without destroying friendships. There is also a homeopathic cream Traumel S (like trauma a name easy to remember) but like so many homeopathics it takes a long long time before it kicks in and becomes effective. Walking is the best way to relieve aches and pains just mind your cadence and your stance, slouching or favoring a leg, ankle, knee, etc is a sure fire shortcut for blisters.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Olivares

Veteran Member
Jul 12, 2011
USA
May 1997 (Leon to Santiago); Sections Camino Frances: May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, June-July 2014 (Sahagun to Santiago).
Amanda-- agree with Mspath-- DO NOT miss the 6pm Pilgrim Mass with the Pilgrims Blessings in about 12 languages. It was such a moving experience specially given this church has been receiving and blessing pilgrims for hundreds of years. The forrest after Roncesvalles is a Witches Forrest-- ask about it! ;) BUEN CAMINO!!!

Reactions: wanderwoman

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
2012, 2013, 2014.
Wayfarer said "we were stiff and sore from the walk the day before" never heard of such a thing! On the Camino? Pop into a pharmacy (which, by the way, is where you will find someone who can speak English if that is a problem, not the clerks but the Head Pharmacist is the one to look for!) pop into a pharmacy and ask for Radian B, a cream made in France works like BenGay but no smell!!! warms up on touch and helps to soothe aches and pains without destroying friendships. There is also a homeopathic cream Traumel S (like trauma a name easy to remember) but like so many homeopathics it takes a long long time before it kicks in and becomes effective. Walking is the best way to relieve aches and pains just mind your cadence and your stance, slouching or favoring a leg, ankle, knee, etc is a sure fire shortcut for blisters.
The old adage goes "no pain, no gain" not "no pain, use Radian b" I have to atone for my sins some way scruffy1. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2010
Jerusalem
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
We won't go into the number or nature of my sins, I atone by supporting the vineyards of Spain, Rioja, Navarra, Biezero or Albarino may not be traditional but it works for me!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Diefenbaker

May 6, 2010
Dartford,Kent,UK
2010 SJPdP to Finesterre
SJPdP or Hendaye Via Camino Vasco and CF to SdC 2016
Paris to SDC 2018
Hi Wanderwoman,
Try to make a note of the small villages you were able to buy food and drink from and the ones that had great cafes, the info' will come in handy for when you walk your next Camino :D
Buen Camino

Reactions: wanderwoman

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides