• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stolen Electronics

William Donovan

Time of past OR future Camino
I've read several posts where electronics (cameras, tablets, phones, etc) have been stolen when the owner has left them to be recharged and gone to dinner.

How frequent is this, and what are the steps to prevent this from happening?

Thanks.

Bill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Funny you mention that! I checked into the albergue just over the bridge in Najera last fall, was starved so went for some pizza and a beer. On the way back I noticed my cell phone was missing so returned to the cafe and asked if they had found it. Nothing! A Dutch couple called my number a couple of times but no answer. Went to the Guardia Civil (they didn't want to listen!). Finally returned to the albergue and the guy in the bunk next to mine said, "Somebody's been trying to reach you!" I had left it on the top bunk. Mine was on the bottom! It all depends!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've read several posts where electronics (cameras, tablets, phones, etc) have been stolen when the owner has left them to be recharged and gone to dinner.

Thanks.

Bill

If you left your expensive electronics charging in a public place in (name any city in the world), what are the odds you would return and find it there? Those are about the same odds. Personally, I like Falcon's advice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don't forget to remove your adapter plug, they are as valuable as gold.
You are dead in the water without one, but they are under one Euro in every China and hardware store, and many tiendas...

We re bringing electronics, so we will just watch them while they are charging. Leaving stuff at home is a good option if you can though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Leave all that stuff at home....
I would like to because I was a bit of a technophobe before planning for my upcoming camino. My husband was only happy for me to go (and take four kids with me) if I learnt to use a phone. That has been a pilgrimage in itself;-) I would prefer to go with a phone than not go at all!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am taking a solar powered recharger so while I walk it can sit on my backpack and recharge itself then I can charge my devices when I want to - it can also charge from a USB connection so I can charge it anywhere really as it cuts the same way a iPhone charger works :) just depends on what you are doing as I intend to use my phone mainly as a camera and calendar as I have downloaded several PDFs with data onto my phone to save carry g paper and will use GPX maps where I need to

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

I took nothing electronic on my first Camino - even my camera was film and not digital. On subsequent Caminos I have taken a mobile phone at my wife's request. It is the cheapest and simplest I could find; it doesn't even take photos. I doubt that anybody would want to steal it. I switch it on at 10a.m. every day and either call or text home. I then switch it off.

Unfortunately I have to take my tablet, but I really hate taking electronics! I was offered a really amazing opportunity about a month ago and I'm going to have to work on it during my Camino (trade a document back and forward, etc), so now I have an extra thing to carry :( The potential upside is that I have a much better chance of actually getting a job in my field of study by doing this. So it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. (Though I'm not happy about the extra weight and paranoia!)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wouldn't take the chance of plugging something in to recharge, then leaving it to go to dinner or for a shower, or anywhere else out of sight. The farthest away I usually am is across a room, but still within seeing distance. I had a panicky moment at the monastery albergue in León on my third Camino (in 2012). It was a crowded night there with extra mattresses set up all along the hallways and even outside in the courtyard. I plugged in my camera battery in a spot along the main wall to recharge, then got back onto my bunk. I could see the outlet from where I was, but I was really sleepy and dozed off for about 40 minutes. When I woke up, my battery and charger were gone. I was stunned. I'd never had anything like that happen in all the times I'd walked, in any of the places I'd stayed. I did my best to explain to the hospitaleros what had happened, but my Spanish is beginner level. Finally in desperation I asked loudly (and politely) if anyone could translate! After a few minutes of confusion, it turned out that another pilgrim had taken my battery and charger because they looked so similar to hers (which were still plugged into the wall, near by). She apologized profusely, and I felt relieved and thankful! It was a reminder to me to take care of all my valuables on the Camino. A good friend of mine (first-time walker who I met on my second Camino) had his camera and wallet stolen when he left them out in the open on his bed while he went to take a shower. Things like that don't happen often, I think (I only know of him and one other person who've experienced theft on the Camino), and I'm a trusting person, but it's better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

I've stayed in hundreds of hostels, backpackers, camping barns and some very dubious shared rooms with strangers and have never had anything stolen, I never leave the room if i'm charging my camera/phone, its common sense at the end of the day. I notice most travellers who have anything stolen leave everything plugged in and their valuables left on top of their beds and go out all day. If in doubt leave it all at home. There is trust but there is also sheer stupidity.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There have been many chains about this issue in this forum for years. The real pisser is when someone plugs into recharge and doesn't return to check to see if the charging is completed and just as frustrating, like Camino 2010's post, is when someone unplugs your stuff to charge their own equipment. The less stuff the better!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Often times leaving behind the means for people back home to stay in touch with you is inconsiderate and irresponsible. May not apply to all cases, but for many it just is. In turn, if you don't want your stuff stolen, watch it. Simple as that.

There have been many chains about this issue in this forum for years. The real pisser is when someone plugs into recharge and doesn't return to check to see if the charging is completed and just as frustrating, like Camino 2010's post, is when someone unplugs your stuff to charge their own equipment. The less stuff the better!!

That can be a hassle too (though doesn't happen often, thankfully), when there aren't a lot of outlets to go around and the items plugged in are clearly fully charged but no one's come back to claim them yet. I don't unplug other people's stuff as a rule, so I usually go hunting for another outlet somewhere else!

Just to clarify, when the woman took my battery and charger it wasn't because she was making room to plug her stuff in. It was because she looked in a hurry and assumed mine was hers, having forgotten that she'd plugged her stuff into another outlet higher up on the wall. I hope she paid more attention after that, in other places! :)

I'm going to bring a AC Power adapter with 3 outputs, and a USB==>220v converter with 2 USB ports, so hopefully sharing will not be an issue.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think people just use the terms adapter and converter interchangeably, but yeah, they are different things. The chargers for most modern electronics include power converters, so all you need is the adapter that fits the "funny shaped" plugs.

You are dead in the water without one, but they are under one Euro in every China and hardware store, and many tiendas...
Unfortunately, that wasn't our experience. We lost two adapters and had a devil of a time finding a replacement. I finally found one on the dusty top shelf of the tienda in Itera de la Vega. The storekeeper didn't know it was there, and when I showed it to him, he didn't know what it was for. I think it cost 2€, and I had to perform major surgery on it with my Swiss Army knife to make it accept my charger.
The alternative is to go into an electronics or phone store in one of the major towns and buy a complete charger with the native European 2-pin plug -- that way you don't have to deal with the adapter. A quick check on eBay came up with several that can be purchased before leaving for Spain: http://tinyurl.com/mwf3d7x
Buen Camino,
Jim

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Someone on another thread made an excellent suggestion: Attach the adapter to the cable with duct tape - this way you won't just pull out the cable and leave the adapter behind...

Someone on another thread made an excellent suggestion: Attach the adapter to the cable with duct tape - this way you won't just pull out the cable and leave the adapter behind...
I believe that might have been me, although I'm sure many others have made the same suggestion. I finally did that after I found the adapter in Itero de la Vega. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you're from the USA, you really do not need a converter.. just a plug adaptor.
If you are from the USA, you really need both, a converter and an adapter. HOWEVER, the trend in the electronics industry in the last few years is to make THE CHARGERS DUAL VOLTAGE such that a converter is designed in and you do not need to carry a separate one. So, in plain English look at the electronic device and chargers; if they state 110-240v or 120-240v you will not need an extra converter. You will still need the plug adapter. MAKE SURE the 240v is there otherwise you will blow out whatever you plug in.

Common sense dictates that you do not leave that kind of stuff unattended.

I did leave some of my bandages unattended on my bed once, while taking a shower, and i guess somebody needed it more then i did, 'cause it was gone! My feet were not so happy about this. Grrr:eek::mad:

This happened only once.

I did meet 2 pilgrims who got their shoes stolen. Yes, their shoes. On seperate occasions. How awfull is that!
Take my phone, leave my shoes!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have my USB cord, my plug, and my earbuds cord each tagged with matching, bright, patterned washi tape (a bright red or yellow electrical tape, or funky duct tape would do too) because even staying alone in hotels when I travel it is so easy to leave a plug/cable behind as it's all white, and the walls are white, and the sheets are white, and I've usually unplugged a lamp somewhere to use the outlet. It's a lot harder for me to forget a component behind when there's colour involved. I imagine this would also be a useful habit on the Camino.
I also do it at work with my work USB cord and plug so they don't go walkies from my desk. I just used my label maker and put my name on it in that situation. I plan to label the living daylights out of everything I bring on the Camino. I cannot be trusted to recognize my own stuff...

I did meet 2 pilgrims who got their shoes stolen.

I walked for a little while with a pilgrim from Germany whose son had done the Camino the year prior. He mentioned his son loved the experience even though he got his shoes stolen at an Albergue in Santiago. Apparently, not uncommon, or at least, much higher reporting of stolen shoes in Santiago than any other city along the Frances...Go figure.

I'm bringing a solar powered USB battery pack with me. My camera and phone (the latter needed for work, sadly,) can both be charged off of it while I'm walking. No need to leave my hardware unattended. No need to fight over power outlets.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
About stolen shoes…
Sometimes it can be a mistake.

In SJPP one dark morning, the members of my walking group got up, put on their shoes, and set out for Roncesvalles.
Halfway up the trail, one of my gals looked down and realized in horror she had put on someone ELSE's shoes!!!:eek::eek::eek:

They were the same style, same size, but these shoes had red tipped shoestrings.
She was mortified… but at noon, what can you do?

She looked for her own shoes in Roncesvalles, but they were nowhere to be seen.
Luckily, her own shoes were new and the same size so hopefully the other woman wasn't too disappointed.
But things do happen… :p

I was reminded of a situation last night which happened a couple of years ago, not really a stolen item but a shared one between travellers, I had taken all my clothes out of my pack and put them all on a wash, then dried n folded and left them on top of a shared bedside table and went out for the rest of the day. next morning walking to the showers I passed by in the hall and said hi to my room mate and thought to myself, I have those stripy aussiebum pants too, I thought nothing of it at the time and continued with my routine. after a search of my things whilst packing to leave I notice my pants were missing, now this is a delicate situation for a chap to be in and thought should i stride in and demand my pants back in a full dinning room of a hostel, I thought no, not very British, so I put it down to experience and packed my things and left. 2 days later I am in another camping barn and the pants stealing chap is back. I notice his clothes were all on the drying racks so I took my chance after a few good looks round and got my comfy pants back and never mentioned it, kept my head down and had an early night with my pants firmly locked away in my pack. I just put it down to a weary hiker fumbling around, reaching out in the dark felt something next to his bed that resembled underwear and that was that.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not about electronics, but: Many people confuse their belongings with others, it seems: One morning (I was the last out from the albergue) I went out in the garden to collect my boxer short that had been left to dry overnight. It was gone.. But another one was hanging there, dry and clean. I took it. In the evening, in the next albergue, I saw another man going to bed with MY boxer short on! Did I say anything? No. His boxers suited me just fine. And he seemed very comfortable with mine. And we both had had a good day with clean, fitting underwear. So, sometimes, accidents happen.

Last edited:
I'm always surprised when I hear stories about stolen/lost items. On both my camino's I left my stuff unatended everywhere and never lost/forgot.missed anything. The few rare occasions I did leave something under my bed another pilgrim always came running after me, waving my lost belonging above his/her head. And all the unnumerous times I left my charging phone or camera alone it was still there when I returned. Maybe I was just extremely lucky. *knocks on wood* or my trust in fellow travellers was shining through, like an aura???? (Like: she's so trusting, let's not betray that)

I did take some precautions though: I slept with my wallet+phone+camera under my pillow and the rest of valuable belongings tucked so deeply away in the backpack even I had trouble finding them when needed. Poor ex-student as I was (I started my camino right after graduating from the art-academy) I looked like a stray: pants full of holes, repaired endlessly, t-shirt full of stains (I only had 2 with me, and try to keep a white shirt white on the camino: impossible), so maybe I just looked like there was nothing to steel from me. And for the sleepy 04.00AM-starters who take the wrong shoes in the dark: I walked with rainbow colored laces. Even the gruffiest, sleepiest pilgrim in the darkest hallway couldn't mistake my shoes for his own.

Not about electronics, but: Many people confuse their belongings with others, it seems: One morning (I was the last out from the albergue) I went out in the garden to collect my boxer short that had been left to dry overnight. It was gone.. But another one was hanging there, dry and clean. I took it. In the evening, in the next albergue, I saw another man going to bed with MY boxer short on! Did I say anything? No. His boxers suited me just fine. And he seemed very comfortable with mine. And we both had had a good day with clean, fitting underwear. So, sometimes, accidents happen.
Hi Alex,

Very pleased for you that the only items left on the drying line could have been bra & panties, maybe clean but not such a good fit.

I've heard of this happening, and it happened to me last year in Hontanas when everyone in my room, who were eating the dinner at the time, got cash taken from our packs up in our room. I later heard that there is a local racket going on in Hontanas where some of the locals prey on the pilgrims coming through. My advise would be to keep cash on you or close to you wherever you are and to keep electronics on charge in sight.

I've heard of this happening, and it happened to me last year in Hontanas when everyone in my room, who were eating the dinner at the time, got cash taken from our packs up in our room. I later heard that there is a local racket going on in Hontanas where some of the locals prey on the pilgrims coming through. My advise would be to keep cash on you or close to you wherever you are and to keep electronics on charge in sight.
Frankly, who would be so gullible to leave money in a dormitory, or any other valuable for that matter.
This is really putting temptation into someone else's hands! This should not be called a racket, but simply carelessness on part of the Pilgrims in question. Not everybody is a goody-goody on the Camino. Anne

Thanks.

Bill

Hello Bill,

The more times that owners leave all these totally unnecessary modern age gadgets unattended then quite simply the greater the frequency will occur. the same also even more applies to money. To the thief money / cash is worth 100% of it's value but the electronics are possibly worth a fraction of its true value.
TRUST NO ONE......TRUST NO ONE......TRUST NO ONE.
To those who doubt it is quite easy to test my theory, just leave your valuables available. NOW YOU ARE WELL AND TRULY GULLIBLE.
Many will say that this is not a big problem on the Camino until it happens to them.

TAKE GREAT CARE HAVE A GREAT CAMINO........................KEITH.

Leave all that stuff at home....

Hello Mr Moderator Sir,

I could not agree with you more but all this electronic technical equipment is not just simply STUFF it is totally UNECESSARY STUFF being polite. How on earth anyone ever managed to reach Santiago years ago, or even 20 years ago totally baffles me. To create loads of OPINIONS, my OPINION is that it is all a clutter in ones travel on the CAMINO.
Blue touch paper lit , and now standing back.

Last edited:
In addition to this discussion of how to thwart any potential robbery of electronics, documents or money along the camino be sure to read what others and I posted last year in another Forum thread detailing various scams and cons. ...Hence, be wary, be discrete and be protected.

MM

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
Hi guys, thinking about doing the Camino Frances in September. What experiences have people had with weather and crowds and accommodation during this time? I would plan for about 30 days which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back