• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

struggling to decide on rainwear

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I know I want a one-piece-covers-me-and-my-pack.
But which one? I'm really not sure which way to go.

Altus VS Packa VS Raidlight VS Ferrino Trekker VS Rohan VS cheap Chinese one.

price * weight * coverage/length * ease of use * sleeve closure * hood type *visibility *
Anything other criteria I could be using to help the decision?
We've had a week of heavy downpours here in NZ and so it would be a great time to be testing a coat/poncho/jacket!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have had our Rohan ponchos since 2009 and they are still going well. A light cool iron can revive the waterproofing if eventually needed, or a spray with a proofer for breathable fabric. Terry's looked as though it needed it below the neck seam where it folds, but it never let water.

The latest Rohan has 'sleeves' which are good. They still unpopper to make a tarp and still fit over a rucksac. The only comment I would have is that I think you would need the long version as the short one will not hang low enough at the front and will be too short at the back when over a rucksac.

We have trousers (not Rohan) in bad rain, not gaiters, but often don't need them.

For visibility, which might be needed without the poncho, we bought lightweight mesh visibilty tabards with a velco fron opening. I cut a slit in them at the sides (while worn over a pack), re-hemmed them, then put tapes at the 4 corners. The top I used a safety pin each side to from a box shape when over the rucksac (and poncho) but could pin the under-arm together when without the pack. They work well.

Buen Camino

Kiwi-family said:
Anything other criteria I could be using to help the decision?

Colour? A forest green one might hide you from the deer but on the road you want to be visible. I know there is a reason my backpack is a bright yellow :lol:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love my Altus! I've used it as a full body windbreaker and an emergency blanket as well. Wouldn't be without it. I did like the older version better. Unfortunately I gave it away and bought a new one. It's good, but the old one felt more sturdy.

I used the Ferrino Trekker this year. My understanding is that it is the closest thing to th e"old model" Altus. In previous years, I used the Sea to Summit poncho, which was perfect fine for occasional light rain on very hot September days in the south of France. However, the STS poncho is not good for wetter, cooler spring days in central Europe, since there it only comes to my elbows, and it's very difficult to properly don while walking solo.

So: the Ferrino Trekker this year was a great choice for the awful wet and windy weather in Germany and Switzerland. I'm extremely happy with it (and I'm not one to make that assessment lightly). Well ventilated, great coverage, easy to put on and take off, lightweight. I have the wine-red color, which offers some improved visibility over the dark green or dark blue options. At 67 inches tall, it comes to my knees, so I wear lightweight gaiters over the lover leg and boottop.

I hear you, Kiwi-family,

I've been rather nonchalant about my rainwear for the last few years, and though I dodged a bullet this year and got only one morning and two hours of rain on the Levante over 44 days from Valencia, I decided it was time to get serious about rainwear based on the weather maps I saw every day on the television.

I re-read all of the forums many threads on the altus and similar ponchos, and finally decided to go with the Ferrino Trekker. It's due to arrive next week, so I will report back. Also, given the type of rain Spain has seen, I thought Falcon's comment on the 2000 vs 1000 number was important, and the Ferrino is 2000 (this number has something to do with how much rain the poncho will deflect).

I have breathable rain pants that I wear on my bicycle to work but have never brought on the camino. I think they will come along next year, they are Marmot Precip and they have been great.

So next year I will be ready if I'm not as lucky as I was this year!

And with regard to the visibility question, which I think is extremely important, I have just started to look around and saw that there are many sources that sell reflective tape that can be easily attached to ponchos, backpacks, etc. REI is just one of many places: http://www.rei.com/product/634417/natha ... ctive-tape

Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Laurie, I'd love to hear your report after doing a good walk in pouring rain! May the rain gods smile down on you soon;-)
Which size did you get? I'm 1.7m tall and not sure how long a coat would be best. I walk in long shorts regardless of the weather and do not actually like the idea of something flapping against my bare legs! But at 60-ish kg I rarely buy anything in size small, and would hate for a small one not to fit!

After a rain suit, GoLite poncho, Altus, and PackA, I choose the Altus. I looked at the Ferrino, but it looked hot.

I'm not sure how the Ferrino looks hot. It's cut quite full, as full as a poncho. There's a full length front zipper along with several Velcro patches, so it's quite easy to open up for more air. The sleeve cuffs have both elastic and Velcro tabs; you can leave them quite open if you like. There are chest vents and armpit grommets. The hood is cut loosely enough to fit over my Tilley hat, which is how I usually wore it. That being said, warmest temps this trip were in the mid-70s F.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
falcon269 said:
After a rain suit, GoLite poncho, Altus, and PackA, I choose the Altus. I looked at the Ferrino, but it looked hot.

I assume you're not talking about the Altus that everyone says leaks! I'm not sure how to tell which one that is. I like the sound of the Altus Atmospheric Light, but I suspect that's the leaky beast.

I prefer a jacket to a poncho. I like the Marmot Precip rain jackets. They have nice under-arm vents that can be unzipped, so they don't feel excessively hot. I always buy 1 size larger than I really need so I can stretch it down over my butt. It also has a cinch-strap at the waist that keeps it from riding up. I'm never worried about my legs being wet, because my pants dry so fast. They come in lots of bright colors, too.

Rain jacket, never poncho. After watching many, many pilgrims struggle to get into a poncho as the wind started to whip around and the bad weather approached, I must advise wearing a rain jacket with a rain cover for your pack. Every pilgrim I saw who managed to get into their poncho without getting somewhat drenched did it because they had someone with them who could help them get it on.
I traveled solo.
I kept the rain cover on my pack if the weather looked like it might turn bad, no harm done. I wore my rain jacket nerd-style around my waist (see my profile pic?) so all I had to do if it started to rain was drop my pack and put on my jacket. Took less than a minute.
My rain jacket also served as a windbreaker as needed. Double-duty, my friend.
Even in the strongest rains, I never needed my rain pants because the tech pants protected my legs and covered the tops of my boots, keeping out rain and mud. It was easy to zip off the bottoms and rinse them out for the next day. The pants dried very quickly, many times in less than an hour.
My pack items never got wet, and I walked through lots of very wet, nasty weather.
I urge you to consider a jacket instead of a poncho. Just my opinion, though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My Altus Atmospheric Light never leaked. (Wind your towel around your neck like a scarf to keep wind driven rain out). I collected mine from the shop in Rue de la Citadelle in SJPDP after pre ordering. Practice having it draped it over your pack, then sliping your arms thru the sleeves for when rain approaches.
So maybe sometimes your arms get a little wet from condensation. Crikey, are we getting soft or what? Get over it cobber.

This was one on my doubts last year when I did the Camino. I am a hiker and I always wear a rain jacket, either one of gore-tex or a Marmot Precip when I go to the mountains. When I am in a steeped trail or If I have to climb at any time poncho is not the best option. Besides, rain jackets are very useful not only for rain but also as a windstopper. But for the Camino, where you can find many flat stages with open trails (at least in CF) I prefer a Poncho. So I decided to take it and I didn't have any problems to get into it. I had two very rainy days, especially the one arriving to Santiago. The problem was that after many years it was not waterproof anymore... Fortunately, I had my Gore-Tex under it. ( I am planning to buy an Altus Poncho for the next Camino in November. I'll probably buy it in Barrabes. http://www.barrabes.com/tienda/complementos-trekking/d-1598-a
I will wear a softshell that among other uses It's perfect for a drizzle and I will leave gore-tex and Precip at home.

Last edited:
This year I am trying something a little different that I saw was successful last year, a trekking umbrella. I'll combine this with a nylon shell windbreaker versus my arrangement the last two years which was a goretex jacket. I'll save ~1.5 pounds in weight so it is worth a try.
Maybe if I keep experimenting for another few years I will come up with the perfect solution. All my Caminos have been in September so not a real cold month.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think Rachel has already decided that she doesn't want to use either a rain jacket or a standard poncho and her dilemma is to choose from among the altus, the packa, and the ferrino. I had the same dilemma and ultimately just bought the Ferinno because I found a great price online.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the opportunity to go hiking in heavy rain too often where I live, so my trial will not come till next year on the Camino. Standing in the shower with it makes sense only if I am concerned there might be a defect, because the real problem with water inside the jacket comes from my own perspiration.

I may be wrong on the science here, but I ultimately decided that just because two pilgrims report a lot of condensation inside the altus and three report a lot inside the ferrino, that doesn't tell me anything about how they will work for me.. How much each one of us sweats inside the jacket will depend on our own physiology, our weight, our pack's weight, our general fitness level. So what is really the only way for me to know which one is better ventilated is for the same person to walk in the same conditions in all three of them. Falcon, I think you have all three of them so you could perform this experiement for us. ;)

I guess I got to the point that the differences seemed to be idiosyncratic and personal, so I got the Ferrino and my assessment is just like kitsambler's. I'm looking forward to lots of rain next year so I can give a real report, but of course it won't tell you whether I would have had less condensation inside an altus or a packa.

I'm not saying we should stop obsessing about this, though. :) Buen camino, Laurie

It appears that Rachel has made a decision--there are several good choices out there (We happen to use Packas and like them a lot.) I am responding to the comment about not needing rain pants--you can go without if the weather is reasonably warm so that your pants can dry quickly, but I can tell you from personal experience that having wet pants for hours on end--because the rain lasts all day (as we did/had on GR 65 this spring)-- is not a pleasant experience. And if the temperatures were to drop into the 40s, one might even risk hypothermia. My precip rain pants are several years old and work just great (full zip recommended!)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back