• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stuck in Bilbao or Pamplona

travelgirl27

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2007) Camino Frances (2013) and soon to start Camino Norte (2014)
I arrive in Bilbao on a Saturday at 1pm, and can catch the 3 pm bus to Pamplona arriving at 5pm, missing the 4 pm bus to Roncesvalles. Sunday there is no bus service to Roncesvalles. It also happens I will be arriving during San Fermin, so all hotels and hostels in Pamplona are way to expensive to stay in. Any suggestions of how I can get to Roncesvalles to start the camino on a Sunday. I know there are taxis, but unless u can find people to share with it can be expensive. Any ideas or suggestions will be useful! Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Change your plans, a train to San Sebastian (a much lovier place then Bilbao!) continuing on if possible to Bayonne (requires a change at the border town of Hendaye but the train will be waiting for you) then a bus on to SJPP. San Sebastian to Bayonne is only an hour ride and while sounding complicated is very easy.
S

Do you know any website where I can check the train schedule? Also how far is Bayonne from SJPP?
Thank you for this possible idea.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Train schedule for Spain is Renfe but Renfe does not go to Bilbao.
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Train schedule for Bilbao to Irun/Hendaye is by Euskotren. I am not having success getting a schedule from it. I think it may be necessary to transfer or catch express trains. Trains run on each section at least once per hour. Its probably easy for users to figure out.
http://www.euskotren.es/es/presentacioneuskotren

It may help to look at the wikipedia site about euskotren.
http://www.euskotren.es/es/presentacioneuskotren

Train Schedule for France is SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

The train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP takes about an hour. There are 4 per day. As a heads up, there was another post indicating the train will be shut down for maintenance and a bus will be running on its schedule.

Looking at the map at the page header the distance from Bayonne to SJPdP is about the same as from Pamplona to Roncesvalles.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you for those website! Ive been looking from Bilbao for a bus to Hendaye but not all the websites are working. The issue is I need to travel late on a Saturday or a Sunday when most things are closed or not operating and its San Fermin so staying in Pamplona is way to expensive. Ive started the camino in Roncesvalles before but never SJPP, little worried about that climb. I might just change the date of my flight to arrive on a more convenient day before San Fermin.

It looks to me the issue is the festival in Pamplona. Starting in Roncesvalles or SJPdP will not resolve having to walk through Pamplona.

Have you considered starting in Irun on the Camino Vasco del Interior? It joins the Camino Frances at Santo Domingo de la Calzada.

I've not been on it but it is apparently viable.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back