Surprised at our test results poncho vs jacket

anoldfireman

Mar 26, 2024
Sacramento, California
Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024 Primativo
So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine is waterproof and his Osprey has a waterproof sack inside.
My son wore a poncho and a longsleeve merino hoodie- the poncho is a $15 no name with snaps down the sides and grommets at the corners- covered pack also-
I wore a $300 Mountain Hardware rain jacket with a longsleeve merino shirt underneath.
I thought for sure my system would be great for when we hit the Primativo rain-
Results at the end of the day, in short.
My son had wet arms up to his elbows and a little around his neck- otherwise he was totally dry- the pack was dry also- and we had 20mph winds-
Now my situation was the opposite. The jacket did its job but my pack was soaked so about 2 pounds heavier. All the water ran down my rainjacket then soaked my nylon shorts and quick dry underwear to the bone- then that water wicked up inside and soaked half way up my chest-
Anyway, this test determined what we are bringing- a poncho and no rain jacket-
Also we will be bringing some short, quick attach gaiters. My feet were soaked through along with my injinji liners and darn tough socks. I do not mind walking in wet shoes/socks but then I got a rock in my lowtop shoes and had to stop to get it out- nowhere to sit and taking off soaked shoes and putting them back on was a chore- the cheap gaiters will be worth their weight and cost I think-
Just some notes and I have read a lot of poncho vs jacket (or both) posts. I think it depends on the poncho also- I would not depend on the disposable thin type- the one we have is rated and the water runs off like a newly detailed Ferrari. Anyway, there is my two cents. 😜

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Yup! I used to think my rain coat was "all that", but now I swear by my Altus poncho. It is like wearing a jacket with sleeves that covers both you and your pack. I got mine in person in Pamplona last year at Caminoteca although Ivar has them on the forum store now, too. I know some people also like the Packa which is like a jacket with sleeves that covers your pack and person.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Gobsmacked by the World

Are we there yet?
Jul 10, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
CF SJPP - SDC 2022
CF (most likely) Aug 2024
When you're in Spain go to the next Decathlon in your travels and get this poncho, you will not regret it.

It is in the same design pattern as the Altus, arms, huge pit zips for ventilation, two-way zipper for venting, adjustable hood and brilliant red colour to aid in visibility (an old fireman has got to appreciate that!) and has a high visibility stripe on the back. it also has pass through hand slots to fetch items from your pockets. It also allows (hats off to BothyDave for this idea) you pass a belt through, from your back to outside the poncho to hold the front of the poncho close to yourself, so that you can see your feet better and not trip. BEST of all, it is less than 1/2 the price of the Altus and more waterproof (5.000 Schmerber).

This poncho, for some reason, is not sold on the Decathlon USA or Canada website...my theory is that Decathlon Europe wants to keep the coolest stuff for themselves, lol.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022
United States
Planned
So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine is waterproof and his Osprey has a waterproof sack inside.
My son wore a poncho and a longsleeve merino hoodie- the poncho is a $15 no name with snaps down the sides and grommets at the corners- covered pack also-
I wore a $300 Mountain Hardware rain jacket with a longsleeve merino shirt underneath.
My son had wet arms up to his elbows and a little around his neck- otherwise he was totally dry- the pack was dry also- and we had 20mph winds-
Now my situation was the opposite. The jacket did its job but my pack was soaked so about 2 pounds heavier. All the water ran down my rainjacket then soaked my nylon shorts and quick dry underwear to the bone- then that water wicked up inside and soaked half way up my chest-
Also we will be bringing some short, quick attach gaiters. My feet were soaked through along with my injinji liners and darn tough socks. I do not mind walking in wet shoes/socks but then I got a rock in my lowtop shoes and had to stop to get it out- nowhere to sit and taking off soaked shoes and putting them back on was a chore- the cheap gaiters will be worth their weight and cost I think-
Just some notes and I have read a lot of poncho vs jacket (or both) posts. I think it depends on the poncho also- I would not depend on the disposable thin type- the one we have is rated and the water runs off like a newly detailed Ferrari. Anyway, there is my two cents. 😜
Where to get cheap gaiters?

Reactions: jandeschepper

anoldfireman

Mar 26, 2024
Sacramento, California
June 2024 Primativo
When you're in Spain go to the next Decathlon in your travels and get this poncho, you will not regret it.

It is in the same design pattern as the Altus, arms, huge pit zips for ventilation, two-way zipper for venting, adjustable hood and brilliant red colour to aid in visibility (an old fireman has got to appreciate that!) and has a high visibility stripe on the back. it also has pass through hand slots to fetch items from your pockets. It also allows (hats off to BothyDave for this idea) you pass a belt through, from your back to outside the poncho to hold the front of the poncho close to yourself, so that you can see your feet better and not trip. BEST of all, it is less than 1/2 the price of the Altus and more waterproof (5.000 Schmerber).

This poncho, for some reason, is not sold on the Decathlon USA or Canada website...my theory is that Decathlon Europe wants to keep the coolest stuff for themselves, lol.
OMG! Almost had me buying a plane ticket to pick one up- through search of US and only shop is out- Can't even find a UK shop that will ship- I am coming into Madrid Airport then train same day to Ovieto. Get in late that night- Doubt if someone sells this poncho in Ovieto on a Sunday ;( - Thank you so for the info!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

anoldfireman

Mar 26, 2024
Sacramento, California
June 2024 Primativo
Where to get cheap gaiters?
I got some $10 ones at a local shop- but my son got these and they are built tough and last a lifetime I am sure- forgive my evil Amazon link but no one else near us carries them- the name brand makes great stuff-

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Mar 24, 2023
Germany
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
Reactions: Bothydave

Goyo

Jan 14, 2023
México
Fall 2023
Thank you for your 2 cents of info, and good info it is. I’ll give your 2 cents back and an extra 2 if you tell us the name of the $15 no-name poncho. I tested my FroggToggs poncho during the winter of ‘22-‘23 up in Michigan and it performed similarly to your son’s. I’ve been hemming and hawing between the poncho vs rain jacket, too, but leaning towards the former from my own experience as well as reading about test runs like you and others have done with the rain jacket. A lot of folks really seem to like the Altus ponchos, too, as noted here on the forum, so that may be one to buy once I get over to Spain and visit a Decathlon store.
As for the gaiters, I’ve only read a bit about them and plan on checking them out at a couple of outdoor gear stores. Thanks for your post y Buen Camino.

Reactions: Sue127

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Jun 22, 2015
New Mexico, USA
www.mirafloresmosaics.com
I don't understand. Your jacket did it's job, but your pack was soaked? And you said you didn't have a pack cover (there's no such thing as a waterproof backpack, unless you put all the contents inside in waterproof bags.) How is that the jacket's fault?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

anoldfireman

Mar 26, 2024
Sacramento, California
June 2024 Primativo
I don't understand. Your jacket did it's job, but your pack was soaked? And you said you didn't have a pack cover (there's no such thing as a waterproof backpack, unless you put all the contents inside in waterproof bags.) How is that the jacket's fault?
I have a USWE pack and it is actually waterproof. You can dunk it in a lake and contents stay dry as there is a built in drybag as its core. Jacket did do its job. I was just listing some of the pro’s and cons of each setup. Nothing was the jackets fault but I did not anticipate how much water my shorts would wick up the rain and the jacket helped it wick up higher. I anticipated my pack to weigh a little more but just more than I thought- so lesson is keep pack dry, not only to keep contents dry but to prevent increased unnecessary weight.
Just passing on my individual experience to those who may be making choices and can’t test all their gear.

anoldfireman

Mar 26, 2024
Sacramento, California
June 2024 Primativo
Thank you for your 2 cents of info, and good info it is. I’ll give your 2 cents back and an extra 2 if you tell us the name of the $15 no-name poncho. I tested my FroggToggs poncho during the winter of ‘22-‘23 up in Michigan and it performed similarly to your son’s. I’ve been hemming and hawing between the poncho vs rain jacket, too, but leaning towards the former from my own experience as well as reading about test runs like you and others have done with the rain jacket. A lot of folks really seem to like the Altus ponchos, too, as noted here on the forum, so that may be one to buy once I get over to Spain and visit a Decathlon store.
As for the gaiters, I’ve only read a bit about them and plan on checking them out at a couple of outdoor gear stores. Thanks for your post y Buen Camino.
This is it. I think there is one color for $13-
Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WHLXYS6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Reactions: Goyo

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Jun 22, 2015
New Mexico, USA
www.mirafloresmosaics.com
I have a USWE pack and it is actually waterproof. You can dunk it in a lake and contents stay dry as there is a built in drybag as its core. Jacket did do its job. I was just listing some of the pro’s and cons of each setup. Nothing was the jackets fault but I did not anticipate how much water my shorts would wick up the rain and the jacket helped it wick up higher. I anticipated my pack to weigh a little more but just more than I thought- so lesson is keep pack dry, not only to keep contents dry but to prevent increased unnecessary weight.
Just passing on my individual experience to those who may be making choices and can’t test all their gear.
So why did your pack get wet? I find with a rain jacket and a pack cover, I have no problem. Sorry if I'm being dense!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mar 24, 2023
Germany
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
So why did your pack get wet? I find with a rain jacket and a pack cover, I have no problem. Sorry if I'm being dense!
Basically as I understand it, the exterior of the pack is not waterproof, it's the built-in dry bag that is - hence the exterior gets soaking wet and adds significant weight. You are correct in that a packcover would help avoid that.

As somebody who has used both systems I found that with significant rain, water runs between my backpack and raincoat, eventually leading to my backpack getting wet from the strap/rear side. Wearing a poncho avoids that. Plus my poncho hangs lower than my raincoat - which prevents the wicking situation described above. Hence why I have personally converted to ponchos.

As a side comment: I find it significantly easier to put the poncho on and off when rain starts and stops then having to worry about removing my pack each time.

Both systems have their pros and cons. And their converts!

1man2dogs

May 17, 2023
LS14 5PQ
Camino Ingles

I've got this poncho, and can highly recommend it. Ieven wore it a few times over this winter when walking the dogs. I got a few strange looks, but it worked.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

tjz

Feb 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
2014, 2016, 2018, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025
Both systems have their pros and cons. And their converts!

This is my experience too. I've gone back and forth, but am currently a rain jacket / rain pants / pack cover wearer for these reasons:
  • We have had to endure some pretty strong winds on the Norte especially, and I've found a tighter fitting jacket and pants are both much quieter and less likely to let water in as they are getting whipped around.
  • Rain pants do a much better job of keeping the lower part of your legs dry than a poncho, especially in a wind. That said, unless it's cold, I just wear the rain jacket and let the legs get wet and breathe.
  • When it is cold (we hike in March), the tighter fitting jacket and pants are much warmer than a loose fitting poncho. There have been days I was really happy to use them as that extra layer.
  • When the day is done and I'm walking around town, I just like the tidier / less bulky look of the jacket.
What I don't like though:
  • You have to take your pack off to put on the rain jacket. You can't just have someone else grab your poncho and cover you up without all that fuss. On the hot days with on and off rain, the rain gear dance can be hilarious.
  • Likewise for the rain pants. Depending on footwear, you might have to sit down and take those off too if the zips at the bottom of the pants aren't wide enough, or your shoes are so muddy you *really* don't want that on the inside of your rain pants.

david marquez

Jul 1, 2017
Manizales Colombia
Camino del Norte-Primitivo April-May 2018
I used a ultrasil nano poncho in 2018. Weighs about 8 oz and packs down to the size of a pair of socks.
It worked quite well and lasted for about 5 years.
The only drawback is they are quite pricey!

Dec 29, 2023
Altamonte Springs FL
April 2024 Camino Portuguese
Yup! I used to think my rain coat was "all that", but now I swear by my Altus poncho. It is like wearing a jacket with sleeves that covers both you and your pack. I got mine in person in Pamplona last year at Caminoteca although Ivar has them on the forum store now, too. I know some people also like the Packa which is like a jacket with sleeves that covers your pack and person.
After having 5 + days in rain and sometime wind, I HATED my Altus poncho. Even though 55 degrees my sweat for all my clothes under the poncho was worse. Ended up soaked anyway and HOT. So too off the poncho and just got drenched. Next time I will wear a decathalon poncho.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oct 6, 2023
Alaska, USA
April 2024
OMG! Almost had me buying a plane ticket to pick one up- through search of US and only shop is out- Can't even find a UK shop that will ship- I am coming into Madrid Airport then train same day to Ovieto. Get in late that night- Doubt if someone sells this poncho in Ovieto on a Sunday ;( - Thank you so for the info!
Check hours of decathlon in Oviedo. They stay open late but open late in the mornings. I bought a poncho there and was so glad to have it

Goyo

Jan 14, 2023
México
Fall 2023
I've got this poncho, and can highly recommend it. Ieven wore it a few times over this winter when walking the dogs. I got a few strange looks, but it worked.
I know the 👀, but not to worry about strange looks. If it works, bring ‘em on! And as I’ve learned from many posts here and watching some very informative videos online, the Camino ain’t Paris Fashion Week.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Salmons

Jul 11, 2021
Get an Altus poncho from Ivar. They have sleeves so no wet arms.

Reactions: kiwi-couple

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Feb 9, 2021
East Wenatchee, Washington State, America
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025
Technically, a poncho does not have sleeves and a zip up front like the Decathlon and Altus rain wear. All such similar gear are rain jackets that are designed to cover a backpack.

My current preference is the inexpensive yet moderately durable Frogg Toggs. The manufacturer uses a breathable 'fabric' which does give an additional mechanism against condensation in addition to the normal air circulation that a poncho provides.

I do not argue personal choices, which are a subjective thing. . . what someone likes is not arguable. Some folks like liver and onions, others hate both. Why I like a poncho? It is a multipurpose tool:

For the last decade, at least, I have found myself choosing a poncho for wet-weather walking. There are certain usability characteristics that I now prefer with ponchos. So I will point out some things that are objective considerations about the poncho. Again, there is no wrong choice because personal taste and preference is based around a huge number of variables, and every person has unique need and wants..

Altus and other similar sleeved hybrids of ponchos (rainchos?) can also share the some of the benefits of poncho use, but are generally heavier and bulkier, if that is an issue.

Ponchos that I would recommend are pretty lightweight. As an example, The Frogg Toggs when it is actually scaled, weighs around the 6 ounce mark. They can be had for $15.00 to $25.00, so that is a HUGE bargain for a highly functional piece of rain protective gear.

If I use my Zpacks poncho which is made from Dyneema (Cuben Fiber), it weighs just a bit more than 2.5 ounces and is tough as nails. I do like the Frogg Toggs a lot, though, and that is now my 'go-to' choice.

I find a poncho is more easily deployed. I can pull it out of the side pocket of my backpack and slip it on over my backpack, and I do not even have to stop. I usually do pause for the ten seconds it takes to put on, because I am becoming a bit clumsy :) I do not need to take my backpack off, put on a rain jacket, put the backpack back on.

This alone is a huge factor for me when it rains - as is often the case - it is off and on while walking. Periodic sprinkles and showers can eat up a lot of time and energy with a rain jacket IF you take it off and put it on as the immediate conditions change. There is no need to fiddle with rain covers on backpacks, and shoulder straps remain dry.

With a poncho, I can respond to conditions within seconds. I can whip off the poncho as soon as the rain has slowed or stopped, and not question "should I wait to see if it starts back up?" This helps to keep sweat condensation way down.

Air circulation and ventilation reduce condensation moisture build up, and this is helped along because of the poncho sitting over the backpack, creating air space between itself and the body.

A poncho can work equally as well, and even more flexibly, as an outer layer. The same quickness to deploy and remove a poncho works well in trying to avoid unexpected wind chill. And if the morning is cool as I start to walk, but I know I will be warm after a short walk, simply putting the poncho on for a few minutes and then whipping it off works well to avoid overheating.

With any poncho I have purchased, I will spend about 15 minutes to add a slight modification with cordage that controls flappiness and billowing during windy, stormy conditions. Wearing a poncho in even higher winds has not been an issue for me or those I know that add the modification with cords.

On the aesthetics side, rain jackets do hold the edge. Of course, that issue depends on IF form is a factor with regard to function.

And ponchos are great multitaskers:
  • A shelter lean-to. A bit of cord and trekking poles make it even more independent in setting up.
  • A sun shelter, it can be rigged up to provide you shade in hot climates.
  • Ground cloth: Under a tent, or a survival shelter, a poncho can protect you from the damp ground. If you are in a cold damp climate, this can help you stay warm.
  • Wind Break: A poncho without a liner will not have much insulation. However, as an outer shell, it can add an additional 10 to 20 degrees of warmth to whatever insulating layer you are wearing. You will stay warmer wearing the poncho in windy weather, helping to protect you from wind chill.
  • Privacy: A great makeshift, emergency privacy screen when needing a Nature Break where a natural coverage of bushes or tall grass is scarce. It also works when needing to change pants or shorts.
  • Sit pad. When taking a break and the ground and benches and flat rocks and logs, etc. are damp.
  • Mattress cover.
  • An emergency backpack or carryall when you do not have a small daypack.
  • A windshell to add a bit of extra warmth to clothing layers. It is great for those cool, early mornings when you need something that can be quickly removed after you have warmed up from walking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
I also use a poncho, the Fjallraven one.

Seeing it is a Fjallraven, it comes with a price. Not for everyone's budget.

anoldfireman

Mar 26, 2024
Sacramento, California
June 2024 Primativo
Pack is waterproof - meaning all contents stay dry. The exterior of pack gets wet (as its designed to be used solo without any cover or need of protection)
What was surprising is that the straps and belt collected that much weight in water. The purpose was to give that consideration as a factor people may be using to decide.
I could have put a pack cover on but I would not have found out. Plus many pack covers in a downpour get filled at the bottom with water if they do not have vent/drain holes.

Reactions: Rita Flower
Aug 31, 2015
What brand of poncho did your son wear?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

anoldfireman

Mar 26, 2024
Sacramento, California
June 2024 Primativo
Technically, a poncho does not have sleeves and a zip up front like the Decathlon and Altus rain wear. All such similar gear are rain jackets that are designed to cover a backpack.

My current preference is the inexpensive yet moderately durable Frogg Toggs. The manufacturer uses a breathable 'fabric' which does give an additional mechanism against condensation in addition to the normal air circulation that a poncho provides.

I do not argue personal choices, which are a subjective thing. . . what someone likes is not arguable. Some folks like liver and onions, others hate both. Why I like a poncho? It is a multipurpose tool:

For the last decade, at least, I have found myself choosing a poncho for wet-weather walking. There are certain usability characteristics that I now prefer with ponchos. So I will point out some things that are objective considerations about the poncho. Again, there is no wrong choice because personal taste and preference is based around a huge number of variables, and every person has unique need and wants..

Altus and other similar sleeved hybrids of ponchos (rainchos?) can also share the some of the benefits of poncho use, but are generally heavier and bulkier, if that is an issue.

Ponchos that I would recommend are pretty lightweight. As an example, The Frogg Toggs when it is actually scaled, weighs around the 6 ounce mark. They can be had for $15.00 to $25.00, so that is a HUGE bargain for a highly functional piece of rain protective gear.

If I use my Zpacks poncho which is made from Dyneema (Cuben Fiber), it weighs just a bit more than 2.5 ounces and is tough as nails. I do like the Frogg Toggs a lot, though, and that is now my 'go-to' choice.

I find a poncho is more easily deployed. I can pull it out of the side pocket of my backpack and slip it on over my backpack, and I do not even have to stop. I usually do pause for the ten seconds it takes to put on, because I am becoming a bit clumsy :) I do not need to take my backpack off, put on a rain jacket, put the backpack back on.

This alone is a huge factor for me when it rains - as is often the case - it is off and on while walking. Periodic sprinkles and showers can eat up a lot of time and energy with a rain jacket IF you take it off and put it on as the immediate conditions change. There is no need to fiddle with rain covers on backpacks, and shoulder straps remain dry.

With a poncho, I can respond to conditions within seconds. I can whip off the poncho as soon as the rain has slowed or stopped, and not question "should I wait to see if it starts back up?" This helps to keep sweat condensation way down.

Air circulation and ventilation reduce condensation moisture build up, and this is helped along because of the poncho sitting over the backpack, creating air space between itself and the body.

A poncho can work equally as well, and even more flexibly, as an outer layer. The same quickness to deploy and remove a poncho works well in trying to avoid unexpected wind chill. And if the morning is cool as I start to walk, but I know I will be warm after a short walk, simply putting the poncho on for a few minutes and then whipping it off works well to avoid overheating.

With any poncho I have purchased, I will spend about 15 minutes to add a slight modification with cordage that controls flappiness and billowing during windy, stormy conditions. Wearing a poncho in even higher winds has not been an issue for me or those I know that add the modification with cords.

On the aesthetics side, rain jackets do hold the edge. Of course, that issue depends on IF form is a factor with regard to function.

And ponchos are great multitaskers:
  • A shelter lean-to. A bit of cord and trekking poles make it even more independent in setting up.
  • A sun shelter, it can be rigged up to provide you shade in hot climates.
  • Ground cloth: Under a tent, or a survival shelter, a poncho can protect you from the damp ground. If you are in a cold damp climate, this can help you stay warm.
  • Wind Break: A poncho without a liner will not have much insulation. However, as an outer shell, it can add an additional 10 to 20 degrees of warmth to whatever insulating layer you are wearing. You will stay warmer wearing the poncho in windy weather, helping to protect you from wind chill.
  • Privacy: A great makeshift, emergency privacy screen when needing a Nature Break where a natural coverage of bushes or tall grass is scarce. It also works when needing to change pants or shorts.
  • Sit pad. When taking a break and the ground and benches and flat rocks and logs, etc. are damp.
  • Mattress cover.
  • An emergency backpack or carryall when you do not have a small daypack.
  • A windshell to add a bit of extra warmth to clothing layers. It is great for those cool, early mornings when you need something that can be quickly removed after you have warmed up from walking.
Well written and thought out- one negative about ponchos is when you are actually climbing trail up steep slope and in scree. Of course you can mitigate some of the problem with the cordage or straps but when you have to see clearly and act decisively I think a slim hugging jacket helps.
Another positive of a poncho is marker for rescue. I had a cheap light one (yellow) when we were hiking the Napali Coast trail on Kauai. It rained and I thought is was hot and useless. Then we came upon a family with a 70 y.o. Woman who had slipped and broke her ankle. The helicopter was coming but no cell signal so I put the yellow tarp down on the red soil for the woman to sit on. When the crew arrived they said whoever put the yellow poncho out was a genius as they spotted us right away. I took full credit (though not my thought process LOL)
Anyway, that poncho went with her and I was happy/sad to be rid of that $3. Thing.
Not Camino relatable but anyway…..
Thanks for your through info/response.

anoldfireman

Mar 26, 2024
Sacramento, California
June 2024 Primativo
This is my experience too. I've gone back and forth, but am currently a rain jacket / rain pants / pack cover wearer for these reasons:
  • We have had to endure some pretty strong winds on the Norte especially, and I've found a tighter fitting jacket and pants are both much quieter and less likely to let water in as they are getting whipped around.
  • Rain pants do a much better job of keeping the lower part of your legs dry than a poncho, especially in a wind. That said, unless it's cold, I just wear the rain jacket and let the legs get wet and breathe.
  • When it is cold (we hike in March), the tighter fitting jacket and pants are much warmer than a loose fitting poncho. There have been days I was really happy to use them as that extra layer.
  • When the day is done and I'm walking around town, I just like the tidier / less bulky look of the jacket.
What I don't like though:
  • You have to take your pack off to put on the rain jacket. You can't just have someone else grab your poncho and cover you up without all that fuss. On the hot days with on and off rain, the rain gear dance can be hilarious.
  • Likewise for the rain pants. Depending on footwear, you might have to sit down and take those off too if the zips at the bottom of the pants aren't wide enough, or your shoes are so muddy you *really* don't want that on the inside of your rain pants.
I bet thats a sexy rain gear dance 🕺🏼 LOL. I bought a Patagonia Houdini jacket and will use with the poncho- let my legs get wet. Of course this is beginning of June on Primativo- If I was doing March I think my setup may be like yours- I would have the pants with full zips down the sides and pit zips on my jacket for sure 😝

A selection of Camino Jewellery

MesaWalker

Aug 10, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
CF (2021), Via Serrana, VdlP to Muxia (2023)
My wife and I were staunch rain jacket-and-pack cover folks, and successfully walked a pretty dry camino in 2021 with that set up. Then last fall we walked the VdlP/Sanabrés (and some more) during a month-long stretch of daily, heavy rain. We quickly found out that, for us, Decathlon-purchased ponchos were way better in really heavy rain. Our shoes and socks were soaked regardless of the gear choice, but for all the reasons listed earlier in this thread we stayed overall much drier and carried less water weight. In really heavy rain, we were surprised how wet we were getting in our upper bodies even with good quality rain jackets. Not a problem with decent ponchos.

Our pro and con both was that we bought the last two ponchos in the Decathlon in Zamora. The pro was that we needed them and got them, and they worked great. The con was both were black, and I would have liked a more visible color.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
After having 5 + days in rain and sometime wind, I HATED my Altus poncho. Even though 55 degrees my sweat for all my clothes under the poncho was worse. Ended up soaked anyway and HOT. So too off the poncho and just got drenched. Next time I will wear a decathalon poncho.
I think that anything that you wear that is truly waterproof will turn into a sauna suit at the right temperature.

For anyone with sewing skills, check out this thread about the "Parcho," which has sleeves like the Altus but is lighter weight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

KCP

Oct 18, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Camino Frances, 2022
Camino Portuguese, 2024
I used a ultrasil nano poncho in 2018. Weighs about 8 oz and packs down to the size of a pair of socks.
It worked quite well and lasted for about 5 years.
The only drawback is they are quite pricey!
I’ve had good luck with this pinch as well. Use in combination with OR’s lightest rain jacket. Together they weigh less than then a gortex jacket and provide lots of versatility in wet and/or cold situations. Agree that the negative is cost but you can find both on sale if you are patient.

Bothydave

Jul 26, 2023
Stirling, Scotland
2022 Frances and hopefully Ingles in 2024
😂 yes strange looks indeed. The dog doesn’t mind and neither do I as I am dry!
This is my second poncho and the other as described by the OP is not up to much. My Decathlon one in in reality a long jacket or better, a coat. Pit zips, sleeves, pocket entry and the ability to run a belt from pocket entry over from of poncho keeps in down in a strong wind. Much higher DWR than other ponchos. Perhaps you can tell I like it. 😀

David

Veteran Member
Jan 28, 2006
England
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
The whole trick with the Altus or Decathlon poncho - and sure, is actually a long raincoat with space for a rucksack - is in hot weather to not use the sleeves, which makes it into a cape (hands stay dry too) ... the Decathlon does have long armpit zips which makes that design better.

As for looseness in high wind - does it matter? Really? I have worn mine in all sorts of weather, including a vile high wind snow storm up on the Napoleon Pass .. seemed ok to me.

The problem - and it is a problem - with raincoats is that no matter how good the 'breathable' Gortex is it isn't ever breathable enough - one sweats inside. Also, two shoulder straps and a hip belt compress the jacket against the body, setting up isolated sweaty hot zones .. and also, even with a pack cover on rain runs down the back, the straps soak it up and transfer it into the pack - disaster - nah, for me the Decathlon style poncho (ok, long loose raincoat) is the way to go - and the Decathlon red one is 5000mm waterproof - same as the best tents!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

K_Lynn

Buen Camino!
Jul 19, 2021
Edmonton, AB,
Frances 2021, Ingles 2023

This is the poncho I have from Decathlon, available online in Canada or in store, it's much cheaper than the Quecha https://www.decathlon.ca/en/p/8586260/hiking-rain-poncho-60-l-mt-500-black

Mar 24, 2023
Germany
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
Reactions: K_Lynn

K_Lynn

Buen Camino!
Jul 19, 2021
Edmonton, AB,
Frances 2021, Ingles 2023
It's cheaper because it's nowhere near as waterproof, nor does it have the same features ,- pit zips etc.

That said for normal rainfall it works very well (I have one) but @trecile had suggested the other because of its superior characteristics.
It rained every day when I walked last autumn and it was waterproof so I was quite happy with it.

davebugg

Feb 9, 2021
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025
This may help put things into a balance for those who are faced with condensation and wet clothing caused by rain gear. Wet clothing can be unpleasant, but it is a temporary thing. When faced with a potential of hypothermia in cold rains, it is far preferable to be wet and warm from the vapor barrier effect caused by a rain jacket or even a poncho, than to be chilled to the bone and in danger by exposure to icy rains.

Wet suits trap a thin layer of moisture between the suit an skin and keeps the person warm by heating up the moisture. Much the same principle applies to clothing wetted from condensation under rain gear, or feet wetted from puddles and dew.

Now, all things being equal if I can stay dry, that is my preference while walking. However, since we essentially walk from one lodging place in the morning, to another at the end of the day, all wetness is a temporary thing.

pelerine

Veteran Member
Sep 29, 2017
Brittany, France,
Another one, year after year...
After this most interesting discussion, does anybody use a hands-free umbrella? I wear an ultralite rain/wind jacket (by Enlightened Equipment - very expensive), gaiters and my handsfree umbrella the attachments of which I have reinforced(?) so I can use it in quite strong winds. And of course it is wonderful as a sunshade, keeps my upper body in the shade and allows my hatless head the full enjoyment of the slightest breeze. Have had many a picnic and siesta under its cover too! All of this makes up for the weight it adds to the burden on my back

anoldfireman

Mar 26, 2024
Sacramento, California
June 2024 Primativo
After this most interesting discussion, does anybody use a hands-free umbrella? I wear an ultralite rain/wind jacket (by Enlightened Equipment - very expensive), gaiters and my handsfree umbrella the attachments of which I have reinforced(?) so I can use it in quite strong winds. And of course it is wonderful as a sunshade, keeps my upper body in the shade and allows my hatless head the full enjoyment of the slightest breeze. Have had many a picnic and siesta under its cover too! All of this makes up for the weight it adds to the burden on my back
Yes- using it right now! The other day in 35mph winds it was put away though 😝

Attachments

• IMG_4549.jpeg
    IMG_4549.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

davebugg

Feb 9, 2021
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025
I use one and carry it when backpacking and on Camino. Mine is from Gossamer Gear, and is made by the same manufacturer as the one carried by Enlightened Equipment. I carry it and my poncho because I have found that there are times that a rain works its way past the total protection of the umbrella.

I find that for hot sun, my umbrella is just marvelous, providing a shade while walking that makes an absolute difference in comfort and safety.

For those curious about a hiking umbrella, they are constructed with a reflective top side that blocks the sun, where a regular rain umbrella allows the radiant energy of the sun to go through the fabric. Such regular umbrellas are better than nothing, but a specific hiking umbrella does a much better job.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Yes, I always carry a handsfree umbrella. Hats make me hot in the sun, and hoods hamper my visibility.

• Thank you
Reactions: David and davebugg

pelerine

Veteran Member
Sep 29, 2017
Brittany, France,
I use one and carry it when backpacking and on Camino. Mine is from Gossamer Gear, and is made by the same manufacturer as the one carried by Enlightened Equipment. I carry it and my poncho because I have found that there are times that a rain works its way past the total protection of the umbrella.

I find that for hot sun, my umbrella is just marvelous, providing a shade while walking that makes an absolute difference in comfort and safety.

For those curious about a hiking umbrella, they are constructed with a reflective top side that blocks the sun, where a regular rain umbrella allows the radiant energy of the sun to go through the fabric. Such regular umbrellas are better than nothing, but a specific hiking umbrella does a much better job.
Can you give me a link to finf Gossamer Gear umbrellas

davebugg

Feb 9, 2021
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025

Rita Flower

Veteran Member
Aug 7, 2021
Myfunself#21
2024 Via Podiensis

Loved my umbrella on the VdlP. Great for the southern sun and perfect for intermittent rain up north. I had it tucked into my pack belt and could just whip it out and put it away as needed.
However I used my Decathlon poncho (also purchased at Zamora) during the big downpours.
There was one morning when everyone got soaked - either rain from the outside or sweat from the inside. I don’t think I could do cold and rain.
Upcoming Camino I am taking a new very light weight rain jacket that is said to perform very well - purchased with a gift voucher - as an extra warm, wind, rain layer. Plus my Decathlon poncho.
Unfortunately I lost my rather expensive umbrella when it fell out of my pack”s side pocket in transit. 😢😢. It really was my most favourite bit of rain kit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Renato62

Sep 10, 2019
New Jersey, US
la via de la plata (2020)
This is it. I think there is one color for $13-
Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WHLXYS6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I've got this one Anyoo poncho for the Via de la Plata in March/April this 2024; it's $20 in Amazon and it worked pretty well!, of course, will protect you (and your backpack) from rain, but as you'll be walking, don't expect to be dry inside, in my case, I was sweating a lot; the good thing, if it stops raining for a while, you can carry it open in the front and get some air. The only difficulty I had with it is trying to put it on and take it off with the backpack on; it's a nightmare unless you have someone near to help.

Mananath

May 23, 2022
USA
Camino Frances July 2022

Umbrellas are also great for the city after your walking day is done. I am a poncho wearer but I find them to be less practical walking to a restaurant or grocery store etc.

• Thank you
Reactions: davebugg
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Mallowman

Jan 16, 2024
Alaska
2023 Camino Frances
2023 Camino Finisterre
Maybe consider a rain skirt

Goyo

Jan 14, 2023
México
Fall 2023
I think that anything that you wear that is truly waterproof will turn into a sauna suit at the right temperature.

For anyone with sewing skills, check out this thread about the "Parcho," which has sleeves like the Altus but is lighter weight.

Well, I checked out the thread you suggested even tho’my sewing skills don’t go much beyond reattaching a button🤷🏽‍♂️ So trecile, do you know if anyone has marketed the “Parcho”, or is it up to talented seamstresses like yourself who know what in Sam Hill they’re doing to make their own? Kudos to you, btw, for your skill set, patience and effort. Impressive!

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Well, I checked out the thread you suggested even tho’my sewing skills don’t go much beyond reattaching a button🤷🏽‍♂️ So trecile, do you know if anyone has marketed the “Parcho”, or is it up to talented seamstresses like yourself who know what in Sam Hill they’re doing to make their own? Kudos to you, btw, for your skill set, patience and effort. Impressive!
I would think that the pattern copyright for the Parcho doesn't allow for making them to sell commercially. I made one for a friend once.

A similar product is the Packa, which several forum members have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goyo

€83,-

Felice

Jul 20, 2014
Malvern, England
SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
Check hours of decathlon in Oviedo. They stay open late but open late in the mornings. I bought a poncho there and was so glad to have it
If you click the link above which brings up the page for the poncho, you can then check stocks at specific stores. Unfortunately, Oviedo has no stock. Leon seems to have a couple, also Santander, but that's no help to you.

Gekkosan

Feb 4, 2024
Puerto Rico
March 2024
I’m firmly on the poncho side, and anything I have to say about that has already been said.
I just want to add that, having worn waterproof shoes (not boots), and shin gaiters, I ended up really wishing that I had spent a tad more on the kind that cover both the shins AND fully the top pf the shoe.
I found out that the problem was not so much the rain pouring down, as the mud and splashes from the pools that formed on the more uneven parts of the trail.
While my feet remained reasonably dry, I think that full-cover gaiters would had also keep my shoes clean and drier.
Short shin-gaiters should be fine if you’re wearing waterproof boots.

Judy T

Oct 29, 2021
Bozeman, Montana
CdN/Primitivo 2024, VP 2023, CF 2022, CP 2019
My backpack is ultralight (Gossamer Gear Murmur), and I use a pack liner inside (also from Gossamer Gear). Everything in the liner, which is actually just a durable plastic bag, stays dry. I use a rainskirt (3F UL) with a rain jacket (Montbell, with pit zips). I also use an umbrella (Gossamer Gear) to keep my face dry and the water off my shoulder straps. When I get to the albergue, I simply pull out the pack liner with my stuff inside and hang the pack, which dries overnight, even the shoulder straps. This system is also convenient for places, esp. gîtes, that require leaving your pack outside the sleeping area. Do I stay *completely* dry in heavy rain? No, but everything dries quickly. This only works with a super light pack that does not have padded shoulder straps or hip belt. Those are not needed with my pack weight, which is always less than 7 lb. The jacket & skirt are ultralight as well. Skirt can be whipped on and off quickly. This system has done me well for two caminos, one of which was quite rainy.

I used an REI poncho on my first camino. I found it cumbersome, heavy, and not good for meandering around town after walking, as a previous poster noted. Trail runners are fine, even when wet (no gortex). They dry quickly overnight as well.

Last edited:

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Dec 28, 2016
CF; Norte; Ingles; Augustine; Portugues Central
Rain jacket plus a RAIN KILT (very ultra lightweight, quick on and off, fits in a shoulder strap pocket, easy to put on and take off, wind & waterproof and keeps pants and underwear dry). For me a poncho has 1 use vs a rain jacket can be worn even if not raining and the kilt can be used as a picnic blanket, or a tarp.

Plataman

Apr 5, 2018
Frances: (2009), (2013), Via de la Plata; (2016)
Having used both on five caminos I am with your son, the poncho is much more effective. I still carry a light weight rain jacket, invaluable walking around towns and cities when the hike is done, and it is still raining!

Reactions: Gekkosan

anoldfireman

Mar 26, 2024
Sacramento, California
June 2024 Primativo
My backpack is ultralight (Gossamer Gear Murmur), and I use a pack liner inside (also from Gossamer Gear). Everything in the liner, which is actually just a durable plastic bag, stays dry. I use a rainskirt (3F UL) with a rain jacket (Montbell, with pit zips). I also use an umbrella (Gossamer Gear) to keep my face dry and the water off my shoulder straps. When I get to the albergue, I simply pull out the pack liner with my stuff inside and hang the pack, which dries overnight, even the shoulder straps. This system is also convenient for places, esp. gîtes, that require leaving your pack outside the sleeping area. Do I stay *completely* dry in heavy rain? No, but everything dries quickly. This only works with a super light pack that does not have padded shoulder straps or hip belt. Those are not needed with my pack weight, which is always less than 7 lb. The jacket & skirt are ultralight as well. Skirt can be whipped on and off quickly. This system has done me well for two caminos, one of which was quite rainy.

I used an REI poncho on my first camino. I found it cumbersome, heavy, and not good for meandering around town after walking, as a previous poster noted. Trail runners are fine, even when wet (no gortex). They dry quickly overnight as well.
Ms. Judy- you are horrible! LOL
Just when I thought I was going to do the poncho, you have me rethinking my setup. My pack is similar to yours. I actually have the nice rain jacket (with pit zips), same umbrella, and my wife ordered me a skirt. You made great points that only experience would exhibit. What about when it is too windy for the umbrella? I guess wind is the enemy of the poncho also.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Gekkosan

Feb 4, 2024
Puerto Rico
March 2024
Just when I thought I was going to do the poncho, you have me rethinking my setup. My pack is similar to yours. I actually have the nice rain jacket (with pit zips), same umbrella, and my wife ordered me a skirt. You made great points that only experience would exhibit. What about when it is too windy for the umbrella? I guess wind is the enemy of the poncho also.
I note that a significant people are partial to using an umbrella, so obviously there is some merit to the idea.
Personally, I find that holding an umbrella is tiresome, they can be unwieldy in a strong wind, and it means at least one of your hands is tied up with the task.
In my case, because I find walking with two trekking poles extremely helpful, specially if it’s rainy and the trail is slippery, I am not willing to let go of one to hold an umbrella.
On the other hand, my poncho held up nicely even when the rain was accompanied by significant gusts of wind, such as when crossing the bridge into Portomarin. All I had to do was hold my arms tight against my side during the strongest gusts of wind. ( Cheap plastic-bag ponchos do tear up under such conditions!!)

Everyone has their favorite combination of attire and equipment, and everyone who has walked el camino has a good reason for their preference.
In the end, whichever gear you end up choosing, I suggest that you just go for it and don’t look back. There just isn’t a single perfect choice, or else everyone would be doing just that. You may choose differently on a second occasion ( I know I’ll take boots instead of shoes next time!) but like many others have stated, once you’re there, just go with the flow, make the best of it, and enjoy your experience!

Reactions: anoldfireman

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Dec 28, 2016
CF; Norte; Ingles; Augustine; Portugues Central

I’m a GG Kumo (with an inexpensive Karimor 10L dry sac) and UL kilt/skirt gal too without umbrella 😉 best combo for comfort, effectiveness and above all lightweight functionality. Altus poncho now weighs 350gm (was over 500 gm) at the expsense of material quality but still too heavy for me vs my rain jacket+ kilt +dry sac 😊

pelerine

Veteran Member
Sep 29, 2017
Brittany, France,
Back to the umbrella question, for years I have used the Euroschirm handsfree version which is fairly heavy - will try the Gossamer Gear version which davebug pointed out to me - see above. As to windy conditions I have doubled the attachments of the umbrella to the pack shoulder straps. Worked well so far. Until the day when I will fly off like Mary Poppins…..

€83,-

Judy T

Oct 29, 2021
Bozeman, Montana
CdN/Primitivo 2024, VP 2023, CF 2022, CP 2019
If it's too windy for the umbrella, just fold it up and put it in one of the side pockets of your pack! With a hat underneath the hood of the jacket, you'll be fine.

Old Kiwi

Jan 5, 2019
New Zealand.
On my last three Caminos I have used one of those cheap plastic ponchos from a cheap Asian shop that cost $NZ 2.50. That is about 1.25 Euros or $US 1.50. I have had to use it about eight times in both light and heavy rain. It goes over my pack and keeps both me and the pack perfectly dry. I must admit that if it is very windy, it blows about a bit and I gather it around me and hold on to it. It has no rips or tears and I will be using it again on the Portuguese next month. I do carry a spare one just in case.

Reactions: pelerine

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Personally, I find that holding an umbrella is tiresome, they can be unwieldy in a strong wind, and it means at least one of your hands is tied up with the task
That's why I use a handsfree umbrella. I have the heavier version from Euroschirm and its always worked perfectly for me. I especially like it for sun protection because wearing a hat makes me hot, and it doesn't offer as much sun protection as an umbrella.

I tried one of Euroschirm's ultralight hiking umbrellas one year (I think that they manufacture the Gossamer Gear and Zpacks branded umbrellas). It wasn't nearly as sturdy and easy to deploy as my larger umbrella, and ultimately a rib snapped in the first wind I encountered. My handsfree umbrella has inverted several times in the wind, but I can always pop it back into place. I had bought it used from another forum member, and after years of use it was looking a bit bedraggled, so last year while I was in Santiago I bought a new one from Ivar.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Aug 25, 2010
Brighton UK
mikesroaming.blogspot.co.uk
Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo 2019
I mostly use a poncho but they can be a nuisance in strong winds so I always carry a rain jacket (and trousers as well). I get my ponchos from the sort of shops in spain that sell farming goods. They cast about 20 euros and seem to be favoured by the people who work on the land.

Reactions: anoldfireman

MissChic

Aug 11, 2023
Netherlands
Camino Portuguese via the coast
I did try my poncho with my backpack the other day and I realised that the poncho kept getting stuck on the top of my rucksack and I ended with my back and the rucksack totally soaked!! any tips on how to put the poncho when you are on your own?

€83,-

Gekkosan

Feb 4, 2024
Puerto Rico
March 2024
I did try my poncho with my backpack the other day and I realised that the poncho kept getting stuck on the top of my rucksack and I ended with my back and the rucksack totally soaked!! any tips on how to put the poncho when you are on your own?
Takes a bit or wriggling and looking thoroughly undignified to the outside world, but so what? You’ll never see most of those people ever again. 🙂
I got memorably stuck trying to exit a busy restaurant in the middle of a downpour. Some kind folks helped me out that time. But it was the only time I needed help.
Mostly it’s a matter of practice, and putting emphasis on the back side as to proceed from the head down. Then make sure to move your arms around and flap a few times to make sure the poncho’s tent is all the way down, all around you.
As I said, it doesn’t look very cool, but it keeps you and your gear dry. 🤷🏻‍♂️

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
2012, 2013, 2014.
A rain jacket is useless without rain pants, exactly what happened to you happens if you don't wear the combination. I have worn ponchos over the years but have come to hate them especially in windy weather. The only decent poncho is the Altus...and that's really a long rain coat.

Reactions: trecile
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Bothydave

Jul 26, 2023
Stirling, Scotland
2022 Frances and hopefully Ingles in 2024
A rain jacket is useless without rain pants, exactly what happened to you happens if you don't wear the combination. I have worn ponchos over the years but have come to hate them especially in windy weather. The only decent poncho is the Altus...and that's really a long rain coat.
I would certainly never consider a poncho in the mountains of Scotland or Ireland

Reactions: wayfarer

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...
I’ll begin my Camino in July (Portuguese route), so it’s time to get shoes and break them in. I have seen posts about walking shoes and which ones people prefer, and I’ve read various articles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.