• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Take a left...or take a right?

Olivares

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 1997 (Leon to Santiago); Sections Camino Frances: May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, June-July 2014 (Sahagun to Santiago).
There are several spots along the Camino Frances after Leon where you can either go left or right and still considered to be on the Camino. There are specifically four (4) places that I would like to get advice from experienced pilgrims (meaning they may have done both or know reliable information about them...) as to which way to turn. These are:

1. Leaving Virgen del Camino-- L or R?
2. Leaving Hospital de Orbigo-- L or R?
3. Leaving Villafranca del Bierzo-- L or R?
4. Leaving Triacastela-- L or R?

:confused: Help!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't plan all your options now. Decide when the time comes!
When you get to the cross roads, say eeny-meeny-miny-mo and be surprised!

Don't plan all your options now. Decide when the time comes!

That sounds good Sill, but which one should I start my pointing at before I say …………………… the L or R

A selection of Camino Jewellery
:) Sometimes the choices are a high route or a low route; sometimes a challenging route or an easy route; sometimes they follow a road or go cross country.
If your feet are sore and you are tired, an easy road will be an easy choice.
If the weather is good and you are feeling strong, take the high route.
If it a really hot day, take the shady route.
Decide when you get there.

There are several spots along the Camino Frances where you can either go left or right and still considered to be on the Camino. There are specifically four (4) places that I would like to get advice from experienced pilgrims (meaning they may have done both or know reliable information about them...) as to which way to turn. These are:

:confused: Help!

on my camino in 2011 I turned:
1. Leaving Virgen del Camino-- L - it was a peaceful walk through the countryside away from the road.
2. Leaving Hospital de Orbigo-- R - I think if you go left you would miss the lovely David and his stall(?)
3. Leaving Villafranca del Bierzo-- there are actually 3 options. I missed the turn I wanted to take that morning but had the nicest day walking with a pilgrim from Greenland along the route that follows the valley. We had so much in common but lived on such opposite sides of the globe. That day was a highlight that I couldn't have planned for.
4. Leaving Tricastela-- R - I stood at the intersection with an American pilgrim and we were deliberating at length about which direction to take when this beautiful Polish pilgrim we had had dinner with the night before breezed by, happily turning R without a second thought. We called her the 'decision girl' and saw this as a sign. Again, a lovely day. I leave for my 2nd camino in a week :) and will be turning L at this intersection so I can see the monastery at Samos……well, that's the plan…..who knows what may happen on the day!

buen camino!

My preferences:

1. Leaving Virgen del Camino-- L or R? LEFT, otherwise you are going to be walking the highway. Cross the street, and find the arrows
2. Leaving Hospital de Orbigo-- L or R? RIGHT and if you're hungry, the signs leading to a tiny village off the track lead to a great little place for coffee and breakfast.

3. Leaving Villafranca del Bierzo-- L or R? RIGHT if you want to climb up, straight if you prefer walking the road

4. Leaving Triacastela-- L or R? LEFT if you want to go to Samos - my preferred route but RIGHT if you want to go directly to Sarria.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have only walked once and as such can't really compare options, so I will limit myself to one choice where I don't really need to see the other path to know which one is better:

Coming out of Hospital de Orbigo, go RIGHT. Left is just a long walk beside a busy highway. The only interesting thing I saw walking after going LEFT was a matching set of women's underwear hanging from a tree, and given that is has been 13 months since I passed that way, they probably aren't even there any more. :)

Glen

Many thanks for the great advice above. It is exactly what I was looking for so that when at that point(s) I can make an INFORMED decision based on how I feel at the moment.
Not my type of trekking at all. A huge part of the joy I get of this experience is the learning ahead of time, reading about the towns, going over maps, taking online courses on medieval architecture. Blame the engineer in me which would kick myself if I miss a notable example of a Roman calzada or a Romanesque church. :)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Definitely right after Villafranca. I thoroughly enjoyed that day and loved being up high in the mountains. I would have liked to have seen Samos, but time was a factor, so once again, went right, and a very pleasant walk it was. Next time I'll go to Samos, though. Engineer you say? RPI by any chance??

2. Leaving Hospital de Orbigo-- L or R?- Definitely Right. The countryside you go through is beautiful - with areas of cultivation, red soil, trees. Then you get an amazing view down towards Astorga before you descend. The countryside on this route was one of my favourite bits on the whole Camino Frances. I think it is only a km or so longer than the straight through highway route- and as someone has said, there is a village or two with a bar where you can get food/drink.
4. Leaving Triacastela : I've taken both routes and loved them both. I didn't realise the route via Samos to Sarria was quite so long though and didn't have enough food/drink for the day. If I did it again I might go more slowly and spend the night in Samos.
Margaret

2. Leaving Hospital de Orbigo-- L or R?- Definitely Right. The countryside you go through is beautiful - with areas of cultivation, red soil, trees. Then you get an amazing view down towards Astorga before you descend. The countryside on this route was one of my favourite bits on the whole Camino Frances. ....

As KiwiNomad says "Definitely Right!

Continuing towards Astorga on this inland path after Santibanez de Valdeiglesias and before the Cruz de Santo Toribo is simple place of perfection, the Casa de los Dioses. Here on a vast plain with sweeping vistas west toward the last camino peaks a man named David has set up a simple pilgrim oasis. Sheltered by a vast adobe barn partly covered with vibrant graffiti David offers a welcome seat and coffee, tea, juices, fruits and cookies to all who pass. All that he so willingly provides he has carried from the nearest village for there is neither water nor garden here. However what is most plentiful at David's is a special spirit and unconditional, selfless love.

Do stop and rest awhile!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Definitely right. Particularly in spring. In feels like the path is wandering through a lovely cottage garden. Just delightful.

I took R after Virgin Del Camino and stayed at very noisy place along the N-120 in San Martin del Camino, I won't make that mistake again, besides I want to stay at Molino Galochas this year
I took R at Hospital de Orbigo to avoid the N-120.
I took R at Villafranca de Bierzo because it was raining heavily that day and I was afraid of dealing with mud in the mountains, I definitely plan to go L this year to see the Dragonte.
I took L from Triacastela to see Samos and all the hype about that way being longer and less hilly was not the information I shared with others I met up with later that day.
After Sahagun I would recommend the L route towards Calzada and Hermanillos, the walk on the Via Romana is wonderful, but a warning after leaving Hermaillos bear left after leaving the town, I left early in the morning in fog and rain and it was not well marked and I walked entire morning going the wrong way, it took me nearly 8 hours to get to Reliegios.

Definitely right after Villafranca. I thoroughly enjoyed that day and loved being up high in the mountains. I would have liked to have seen Samos, but time was a factor, so once again, went right, and a very pleasant walk it was. Next time I'll go to Samos, though. Engineer you say? RPI by any chance??
Hi Cherry!!-- I have been meaning to reply to your prior post and completely lost track! Sorry about that-- My husband is an RPI Grad; I went to the School of Engineering in Puerto Rico (Mayaguez campus). We have to get together and share stories-- maybe at Saratoga when the weather gets better? thanks for the kind advice!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After Sahagun I would recommend the L route towards Calzada and Hermanillos, the walk on the Via Romana is wonderful, but a warning after leaving Hermaillos bear left after leaving the town, I left early in the morning in fog and rain and it was not well marked and I walked entire morning going the wrong way, it took me nearly 8 hours to get to Reliegios.
Did you meant a RIGHT after Calzada del Coto in the direction of Calzadilla de los Hermanillos? It does appear you have to turn LEFT after Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to get on to El Burgo Ranero.

on my camino in 2011 I turned:
1. Leaving Virgen del Camino-- L - it was a peaceful walk through the countryside away from the road.
2. Leaving Hospital de Orbigo-- R - I think if you go left you would miss the lovely David and his stall(?)
3. Leaving Villafranca del Bierzo-- there are actually 3 options. I missed the turn I wanted to take that morning but had the nicest day walking with a pilgrim from Greenland along the route that follows the valley. We had so much in common but lived on such opposite sides of the globe. That day was a highlight that I couldn't have planned for.
4. Leaving Tricastela-- R - I stood at the intersection with an American pilgrim and we were deliberating at length about which direction to take when this beautiful Polish pilgrim we had had dinner with the night before breezed by, happily turning R without a second thought. We called her the 'decision girl' and saw this as a sign. Again, a lovely day. I leave for my 2nd camino in a week :) and will be turning L at this intersection so I can see the monastery at Samos……well, that's the plan…..who knows what may happen on the day!

buen camino!
I am so glad I turned left - the monastery in Samos is incredible. I walked that part of the Camino in October and only encountered 3 other pilgrims between Triacastela and Sarria. I was told that it was 6 km further via Samos to Sarria, but worth the extra hour plus of walking. Buen Camino!

Did you meant a RIGHT after Calzada del Coto in the direction of Calzadilla de los Hermanillos? It does appear you have to turn LEFT after Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to get on to El Burgo Ranero.
So sorry I meant Right, my bad!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In Tricastela, I arrived and went to a bar for a beer, and the next thing I knew I found myself in a cab on my way to Samos! I am so glad I made the LEFT even though it was on wheels (for shame).

Hi Cherry!!-- I have been meaning to reply to your prior post and completely lost track! Sorry about that-- My husband is an RPI Grad; I went to the School of Engineering in Puerto Rico (Mayaguez campus). We have to get together and share stories-- maybe at Saratoga when the weather gets better? thanks for the kind advice!
Hi - De nada. I am so sick of this weather - drove home on icy roads from Berne late last night. It's St. Patrick's Day for goodness sake, can"t we have slightly warmer temperatures? Would love to get together with you - I'm getting tired of talking to myself about my time on the camino! (Not that my family isn't interested, but they couldn't do it with me, and somewhere in there there is a big difference between having "been there" and not.)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In Villafrance del Bierzo: go Right, defintely. If you go left you'll walk 12km past a boring highway. The right way is gorgeous, you'll climb a mountain and will have a fabulous view the whole route, it's beautiful. I did both options on diffrent occasions so I know what I'm recommending :)

In Triacastella I went Left, the detour to Samos. Samos is beautiful, for sure! I never went Right there directly to Sarria, so I wouldn't know what that route is like.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

My opinion is left, right, right, left which appears to be pretty much the consensus with a few people leaning toward right at Triacastela. I found the walk to Samos richly rewarding with much of it along wooded paths through farmlands although there is a bit along the highway near the beginning. Samos was worth the visit as well. There are actually 3 routes leaving Villafranca, as others have pointed out, and the left route is extremely difficult from what I have heard, and you probably shouldn't take it unless you are bored with the easy hiking conditions along the Camino and you are looking for a more challenging experience. The right route is hard enough, but well worth it with stunning views of the valley below. Make sure you have enough water. I did it on a warmish day (20 C) and it took 3 hours to get to Trabadelo and by the time I got there I had used 3 liters of water and I was pretty much at the limits of my endurance. I had started in Ponferrada though so it was a very long day. If you're starting in the morning from Villafranca it should be a refreshing scenic walk. One thing to be aware of, if you do take the right route, is that all of the signs point to the middle route along the highway and its really easy to miss Pradela street, the start of the right route. There is a good picture in Brierley showing the street, and if you don't have it then check someone else's book before leaving Villafranca or you will end up going along the highway like most other people.

qpqp-- it is advice such as yours that definitely makes it worth it to ask the question! Thank you!! :D

Re 4 leaving Triacastela
Unless you're clear on which way, and u need to go the shorter route, wait to follow someone who is certain he/she is on the R track

We woes thru middle of town early morning just coming light. Intersection. L Samos. We took right But, it the took us down to a highway which we followed and ended up going via Samos anyway. Obviously missed an arrow going back little before u hit the shorter route. I will look for it another time. Not next time on the Frances as next time I want to go via Samos again (knowing I'm heading there) and hopefully stay there a night if possible. I think half the people walking that day had intended the opposite 'way'.
all good and so lovely, it was meant to be

Need to read the guide book next time. My friend had it. Coming in to Ponferada followed arrows taking us right to muni? Arlburgue and completely missed the Templar edifice! Walked by it early in the Am heading out. Much to early to visit !

Villafranca signing. Arrows pointed in both directions and asking locals confused the issue more.

People say. Just go with

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Bumped Sent accidentally using iPhone! So going with the flow i guess it juSt doesn't matter right or left sometimes. Just enjoy the walk. Buen Camino

And don't forget the decision on what direction to take after Sahagun
From memory, this was a very confusing one for me and the lady I was walking with on that morning.....and, it was raining, raining, raining. as well which made things worse.....smiles.

> Consider "More Left" by Dragonte

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
TTT for recent similar inquiries.

I have nothing to add that hasn't been already said. Let the Holy Spirit be your guide and you'll know which path to choose.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back