• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxi past Alto del Perdon?

CaminoKris2013

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
I was wondering if it is possible or if anyone used alternative transportation from Pamplona/Cizur Menor to Uterga. I think I can handle the walk from there but really panicking about hurting myself coming down Alto del Perdon.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
....really panicking about hurting myself coming down Alto del Perdon.
To be honest, there are quite a bit of steep descent sections on the Camino (i.e. on to Zubiri) so trying to learn how to maneuver them may be w orthy effort. Many recommend going sideways using a walking stick for better blalance. That said, I keep reading reports of injured pilgrims on wet, rocky descents. So, if you are nervous about it, then skip and use your better judgement. Have a safe pilgrimage! Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use the skiing technique - constantly turning across the slope to make the descent as shallow as possible. And of course the walking poles make me a sure-footed quadruped. It is not that bad. It is not so steep, just gravelly. My daughter had popped her knee out of position the day before (a semi regular occurrence - she gets it back in herself but it is excruciating until she does, and the knee is very weak). She managed the descent by borrowing my sticks - she does not usually use them.

Be sure to read what others and I have written in these earlier Forum threads re avoiding the Alto de Perdon and walk around the Alto de Perdon.

The immediate descent is the most difficult for the first 100 meters or so; it is worst walking through fog or heavy rain and slippery mud. Psychologically it would be 'easier' walking down with someone.

If the weather is and has been dry, and if you have trekking poles, it's not so bad. But you are the only one who knows your limits and /or concerns. I thought about walking around the Alto (have knee issues), but am very happy I took the chance and went over it - what a magnificent view - and the feeling of success when I pulled in to Uterga for a well-deserved rest, cafe con leche and tortilla was terrific! I DID stay overnight in Zariquiegui so I would be well rested for the descent!
Good luck and Buen Camino Kris!
Terry

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I too stopped in Zariquiegui for the night and climbed in thick fog / drizzle. My memory is of the strange sound of the wind turbines whooshing in the fog, unseen but near. Of the fuente created by Santiago to relieve the pilgrim tempted by the devil. Of arriving into clearer air and intermitent views of both how far I had come and how , very, far I had to go.

Up is hard, down is hard. I fell twice (slid on my bum) on the descent, cried, picked up some pilgrim discards (see other threads) and got to the bottom glad I'd done what I'd done.

Go slowly pilgrim, Santiago isn't going anywhere. The go-around that mspath refers to is easy to follow.

Go for it - the fear is worst than the experience - trust me you will be stronger for your effort and proud at the bottom.

I agree that it is the trickiest descent on the Frances (due to the gravel) and is best taken with poles at your own pace (don't worry about those who pass you)

It is my wish that all pilgrims would take one rock from that hill and deposit it at the Cruz de Ferro - together we can vanquish our fears and improve "The Way"

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are average-fit, or even just below average-fit there is no reason to panic. Take your time, look were you put your feet and you will be fine. It is nothing like mountain climbing/hiking, have a look via Google Earth at that stage and you see it really is doable without need to panic.

Buen Camino, SY

PS And you will be so proud to have managed it, animo y buen camino!

... but really panicking about hurting myself coming down Alto del Perdon.

Like Tincatinker, I had scheduled my walk such as to stop in Zariquegui just to be fresh for the ascent to Alto de Perdon the next morning. I didn't find the ascent too dificult (mind you: elderly lady, slightly unfit at the time and just finding my camino legs!)

But when on the top, I looked down at what to me looked as a steep descent into an abyss … hmm – I then decided on another strategy (not many taxis around for me to see – ha!).

On top of Alto de Perdon I then chose the road to the right to circumvent the decline and kind of manouevre into Uterga by road. And a beautiful experience it was – no traffic – only the occasional sound from the whishing of windmills, and eagles and birds of prey above me. – Maybe it added 4 – 5 km to the route. But to me, it was better than finishing in an untimely way. I have seen a few reports of 'bad' happenings on the descent.

Annelise

Last edited:
No, you are looking at a couch potato who did not properly condition myself. Spent too much time hooked on the forum, books and blogs, and not enough physical training.

I don't regret it one bit. Now I know what I REALLY have to do. Alto del Perdon will not be missed, just this go around.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back