• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thanks for all of your advice as I prepared

coldweather

I am a US woman in my 40s and I started in Pamplona in early May. I arrived in Santiago in early June. I have been home from my Camino experience for about 1 month. I gained a lot of advice and wisdom from this forum and I would like to give back in the hope that my experience will help others.

1. Training – I had never hiked prior to the Camino. I live in a cold weather climate and walked the Camino in May. I struggled with my training because my climate was cold and snowy and was not representative for the climate in May on the Camino. I did not walk outside enough. Upon hindsight, I would have walked outside more. Even though I would wear different (warmer) clothing that I would on the Camino, the outside walking would have helped. Be sure you have done at least a few 10 mile (17-18K) walks. (I didn’t and regretted it for the first week.)

2. Backpacks – I had never owned a backpack prior to the Camino. I followed the advice on this forum with great enthusiasm. Here is my advice. When selecting a backpack, be sure to know the weight of your pack. The first pack I purchased was a 38L. After a few practice walks it felt “heavy.” This pack was about 3lbs. I then discovered the Osprey Talon backpacks. They are very light and durable and were very, very popular this year on the Camino.

3. Weight is important and so is volume – I made the classic mistake of not packing my backpack until a few days prior to departure. I learned that my “stuff” although light didn’t fit in my pack. I had the Osprey Talon 33L pack. I ran to REI (outdoor store) and exchanged for the Osprey Talon 44L pack. If I could do it again, I would use the Osprey Talon 33L pack and attach my sleeping bag in a dry sack to the outside of the pack.

4. Backpack liner - I lined my backpack with a large garbage bag so if rain seeped into my bag my belongings would stay dry. In reality this means I only had access to my backpack from the top entry. When buying my pack, I noticed one of the selling features of backs is do they have bottom entry, side entry, etc. This method also meant that I was slow packing in the morning. Since my sleeping bag needs to be on the bottom of the pack, it meant unloading everything, putting in my sleeping bag and piling the rest of my stuff on top. It always seemed to be slow getting going in the morning.

5. Weather – I like others keep asking “what is the weather typically like in May” so I knew what to pack. My Camino started with a heat wave in the 30Cs (over 90F degrees). We had hard rain, hail, snow, wind, cold, etc. Multiple days the temperature was 3C when starting out in the morning (and this was on the Meseta). My conclusion is you need to watch the weather trends for a few months prior to your Camino. This past winter was very cold and spring was late. This told me that the weather in May would likely be unseasonable cool and it was. Also, it reinforces that you need to be prepared for anything.

6. Footwear – I couldn’t imagine walking the Camino in anything other than waterproof hiking boots. The terrain is mixed. Sometimes it is pavement and other times it is large rocks. I saw every kind of walking shoe. The one advice I wished I had followed is to add Crocs to my bag. I had Keen Newport sandals. I thought I would wear them to walk on some days. I never did because the terrain is so hard and unstable. I saw on this forum that people recommended Crocs but I didn’t understand that Crocs are very, very light. I easily would have saved ½-1 lb if I had Crocs vs. Keens.

7. Water – After 1 practice walk I realized that I cannot reach my water bottles when my pack is on. I thought about using a water bladder but I figured I would have trouble keeping the bladder clean for 30+ days of continuous use. Instead I bought a waist pack that has space for two ½ liter water bottles. I hooked this on my front and my backpack on my back. My water was easy to reach and I had the added benefit of a pouch to store guide book, tissues, lip balm, etc. With very few exceptions I was able to fill up my bottles multiple times per day at fountains or bars.

8. Package forwarding service – I used Ivan’s service to send a package of stuff to Santiago for pick up upon arrival. It worked well. I would use this service again.

9. Go Alone – The Camino is a very personal journey. I walked with my husband. Our walking pace is very different so on most days we walked alone and met up later. I met many people who came with someone else because they didn’t want to travel/walk alone. In many cases, both parties regretted this. It put a constraint on their walk. When someone was injured or slower/faster it impacted the other. They did not seem able to detach and let the Camino come to them. If you want to walk with a companion that is OK. Please just don't feel that you have to find someone and possibly drag them along. Don’t be afraid to walk alone. It is safe and there are many people around.

10. People in their 60s and 70s walk the Camino – Yes, this is true. I heard this prior to going and it gave me a false sense of the rigor of the journey. In my experience, the people in their 60s and 70s walking the Camino have been very active and walking their entire life. They are in great shape. They did not just get up off of the couch, train for a few weeks and go.

11. Go to the Pilgrim Mass/Blessing – Remember, this is not a hiking trip it is a pilgrimage. I needed reminding of that a few times myself. Now that my Camino is complete, the most memorable times were during the pilgrim blessing. Sometimes they are short and sweet. Other times they are a bit more focused. One time we had a peace prayer lead by monks, other times we heard Gregorian chant, other times we had hands on blessings. The pilgrim blessing is open to all. You do not need to be Catholic or speak Spanish. Give it a try. It is unique to the Camino.

12. Things I am glad I brought from home:
a. (a) I had about 20 large safety pins that I used for hanging laundry. Alburges had lines but few pins. Many times the clothes were blown to the ground.
b. (b) Sleeping bag, liner and blow up pillow. I figured that I would spend 30% of my day sleeping (8 hours). It was important to be comfortable. As the weather changed a lot I was glad to have a bag and a liner. Yes. The algurges provide pillows but they are not sanitary. I am glad I had my own inflatable pillow. It was only a few ounces.
c. (c) Suncreen – yes it is sold in Spain but the price is much higher than in the United States. I brought a 3oz tube.
d. (d) Elastic Knee brace – I used 2 every day. Some pilgrims had to buy them in Spain. They cost about 30-40 Euro in Spain. Much cheaper in the US.
e. (e) Sink stopper. About 20% of the time, the hand washing sinks did not have a stopper. I brought a flat stopper.
f. (f) Medicine – yes, you can buy medicine in Spain. I liked having the brands of allergy and decongestant medicines that I know especially that I had the kind that don’t make you sleepy.
g. (g) Rain pants – I almost didn’t bring them. I was very thankful that I had them in my pack. Remember, you will be walking 5-7 hours per day. It is not fun to walk that long in the rain and be wet and cold.
h. (h) Electrolyte tablets – I suggest you consider bringing electrolyte tablets to dissolve in your water. They do sell them in Spain but they are different. The ones I found in pharmacy’s are loaded with sugar and don’t contain potassium. I prefer the brand I am used to so I was happy to have a tube of sugar free tablets in my pack.

I hope you find this post helpful and are not put off by the length.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Coldweather.
Thank-you, thank-you and again thank-you! Great post.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
coldweather said:
4. Backpack liner - I lined my backpack with a large garbage bag so if rain seeped into my bag my belongings would stay dry. In reality this means I only had access to my backpack from the top entry. When buying my pack, I noticed one of the selling features of backs is do they have bottom entry, side entry, etc. This method also meant that I was slow packing in the morning. Since my sleeping bag needs to be on the bottom of the pack, it meant unloading everything, putting in my sleeping bag and piling the rest of my stuff on top. It always seemed to be slow getting going in the morning.

You can get water proof (I'm hesitant to call them water proof but some are even intended for rafting) bags. These come in various sizes. Some barely big enough for a few socks . Others reaching 30l in size.

The bags are much tougher then garbage bags. So will hopefully last a person longer. The different sizes mean you can sort things. Stick dirty socks in one bag. Keep clean dry stuff in a different one. Use a big one to hold everything if you want.

They do cost more then a garbage bag. But you don't need many. If cost is an issue a person could consider freezer ziplock bags. I'd stick to the heavier duty freezer bags for the simple reason a water proof bag with a small hole is just a bad colander.

I enjoyed reading the results of your labour of love. You reinforced some things I already planned to do and you gave me some good ideas. I start walking from Pamplona on the 4th Sept., and leave Sydney on the 30th October and am getting very excited.
I am also really looking forward to the Pilgrim Blessings.

coldweather said:
I am a US woman in my 40s and I started in Pamplona in early May. I arrived in Santiago in early June. I have been home from my Camino experience for about 1 month. I gained a lot of advice and wisdom from this forum and I would like to give back in the hope that my experience will help others.
:D Well done! All very sound advice to prospective pilgrims particularly to those of us in our senior years.
1. Training – I had never hiked prior to the Camino. I live in a cold weather climate and walked the Camino in May. I struggled with my training because my climate was cold and snowy and was not representative for the climate in May on the Camino. I did not walk outside enough. Upon hindsight, I would have walked outside more. Even though I would wear different (warmer) clothing that I would on the Camino, the outside walking would have helped. Be sure you have done at least a few 10 mile (17-18K) walks. (I didn’t and regretted it for the first week.)

2. Backpacks – I had never owned a backpack prior to the Camino. I followed the advice on this forum with great enthusiasm. Here is my advice. When selecting a backpack, be sure to know the weight of your pack. The first pack I purchased was a 38L. After a few practice walks it felt “heavy.” This pack was about 3lbs. I then discovered the Osprey Talon backpacks. They are very light and durable and were very, very popular this year on the Camino.

3. Weight is important and so is volume – I made the classic mistake of not packing my backpack until a few days prior to departure. I learned that my “stuff” although light didn’t fit in my pack. I had the Osprey Talon 33L pack. I ran to REI (outdoor store) and exchanged for the Osprey Talon 44L pack. If I could do it again, I would use the Osprey Talon 33L pack and attach my sleeping bag in a dry sack to the outside of the pack.

5. Weather – I like others keep asking “what is the weather typically like in May” so I knew what to pack. My Camino started with a heat wave in the 30Cs (over 90F degrees). We had hard rain, hail, snow, wind, cold, etc. Multiple days the temperature was 3C when starting out in the morning (and this was on the Meseta). My conclusion is you need to watch the weather trends for a few months prior to your Camino. This past winter was very cold and spring was late. This told me that the weather in May would likely be unseasonable cool and it was. Also, it reinforces that you need to be prepared for anything.

6. Footwear – I couldn’t imagine walking the Camino in anything other than waterproof hiking boots. The terrain is mixed. Sometimes it is pavement and other times it is large rocks. I saw every kind of walking shoe. The one advice I wished I had followed is to add Crocs to my bag. I had Keen Newport sandals. I thought I would wear them to walk on some days. I never did because the terrain is so hard and unstable. I saw on this forum that people recommended Crocs but I didn’t understand that Crocs are very, very light. I easily would have saved ½-1 lb if I had Crocs vs. Keens.

7. Water – After 1 practice walk I realized that I cannot reach my water bottles when my pack is on. I thought about using a water bladder but I figured I would have trouble keeping the bladder clean for 30+ days of continuous use. Instead I bought a waist pack that has space for two ½ liter water bottles. I hooked this on my front and my backpack on my back. My water was easy to reach and I had the added benefit of a pouch to store guide book, tissues, lip balm, etc. With very few exceptions I was able to fill up my bottles multiple times per day at fountains or bars.

8. Package forwarding service – I used Ivan’s service to send a package of stuff to Santiago for pick up upon arrival. It worked well. I would use this service again.

9. Go Alone – The Camino is a very personal journey. I walked with my husband. Our walking pace is very different so on most days we walked alone and met up later. I met many people who came with someone else because they didn’t want to travel/walk alone. In many cases, both parties regretted this. It put a constraint on their walk. When someone was injured or slower/faster it impacted the other. They did not seem able to detach and let the Camino come to them. If you want to walk with a companion that is OK. Please just don't feel that you have to find someone and possibly drag them along. Don’t be afraid to walk alone. It is safe and there are many people around.

10. People in their 60s and 70s walk the Camino – Yes, this is true. I heard this prior to going and it gave me a false sense of the rigor of the journey. In my experience, the people in their 60s and 70s walking the Camino have been very active and walking their entire life. They are in great shape. They did not just get up off of the couch, train for a few weeks and go.

11. Go to the Pilgrim Mass/Blessing – Remember, this is not a hiking trip it is a pilgrimage. I needed reminding of that a few times myself. Now that my Camino is complete, the most memorable times were during the pilgrim blessing. Sometimes they are short and sweet. Other times they are a bit more focused. One time we had a peace prayer lead by monks, other times we heard Gregorian chant, other times we had hands on blessings. The pilgrim blessing is open to all. You do not need to be Catholic or speak Spanish. Give it a try. It is unique to the Camino.

12. Things I am glad I brought from home:
a. (a) I had about 20 large safety pins that I used for hanging laundry. Alburges had lines but few pins. Many times the clothes were blown to the ground.
b. (b) Sleeping bag, liner and blow up pillow. I figured that I would spend 30% of my day sleeping (8 hours). It was important to be comfortable. As the weather changed a lot I was glad to have a bag and a liner. Yes. The algurges provide pillows but they are not sanitary. I am glad I had my own inflatable pillow. It was only a few ounces.
c. (c) Suncreen – yes it is sold in Spain but the price is much higher than in the United States. I brought a 3oz tube.
d. (d) Elastic Knee brace – I used 2 every day. Some pilgrims had to buy them in Spain. They cost about 30-40 Euro in Spain. Much cheaper in the US.
e. (e) Sink stopper. About 20% of the time, the hand washing sinks did not have a stopper. I brought a flat stopper.
f. (f) Medicine – yes, you can buy medicine in Spain. I liked having the brands of allergy and decongestant medicines that I know especially that I had the kind that don’t make you sleepy.
g. (g) Rain pants – I almost didn’t bring them. I was very thankful that I had them in my pack. Remember, you will be walking 5-7 hours per day. It is not fun to walk that long in the rain and be wet and cold.
h. (h) Electrolyte tablets – I suggest you consider bringing electrolyte tablets to dissolve in your water. They do sell them in Spain but they are different. The ones I found in pharmacy’s are loaded with sugar and don’t contain potassium. I prefer the brand I am used to so I was happy to have a tube of sugar free tablets in my pack.

I hope you find this post helpful and are not put off by the length.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
:D Well done! All very sound advice for prospective pilgrims, especially those of us in our senior years.

Lots of good advice here, thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

I have had occasional knee problems for years, so I always bring an elastic knee brace with me. A few years ago, I found that the one I had with me was too tight and went to a farmacia for help. They recommended a much less rigid "rodillera" and it cost under 3 euros. For me it was perfect.

This year I recommended it to another peregrino, so I know they are still available and the price is still around 2-3 euros. If you need really tight support, it won't be adequate, but I just put it on when we have steep descents and find it helps a lot.

Attachments

• knee brace.jpg
    knee brace.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 613
peregrina2000 said:
I have had occasional knee problems for years, so I always bring an elastic knee brace with me. A few years ago, I found that the one I had with me was too tight and went to a farmacia for help. They recommended a much less rigid "rodillera" and it cost under 3 euros. For me it was perfect.

This year I recommended it to another peregrino, so I know they are still available and the price is still around 2-3 euros. If you need really tight support, it won't be adequate, but I just put it on when we have steep descents and find it helps a lot.
I bought the same one last year in Puente de la Reina, after having done the very steep, long descent from S.Juan de la Peña, where I ended up with a very swollen and painful knee? However, I think I paid €12 for it, so not as cheap as Laurie mentions, but certainly far cheaper than the $30/40 mentioned by Una. Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow that's quite a difference. Maybe the lesson here is that farmacias on the Camino Primitivo (where I bought mine) and the Camino Levante (where I recommended it to a pilgrim) do not exploit the pilgrim traffic, at least not yet!

Wonderful ideas...thanks so much. These suggestions are helping greatly!

Buen Camino :D

Cindi...."One Love"

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back