• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

That movie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
C'mon now, it wasn't that bad. Certainly a lot better than most of the shite that Hollywood spews out these days.
It obviously wasn't meant to be a realistic portrayal of how one walks the CF. Just a plot about a father-son relationship using the CF as a backdrop.
Please tell me people out there don't really believe and expect that what they see in the movie is what the CF is supposed to be like....

I remember a couple about my age (65) proudly declare on the first night's pilgrim meal at Orisson that 3 weeks before they had seen the movie "The Way" and that the inspiration was so overpowering they couldn't wait. With gear, plane tickets and guidebook in hand, they arrived in SJPP with no other preparation.
I last saw them near Zubiri, exhausted and dejected trying to communicate their need for a taxi in a loud and demanding tone to a shop keeper who clearly was not accustomed to being shouted at in English.
I presume they eventually got a ride to Pamplona and then back to California, wondering how Martin Sheen was able to do it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Try St Jacques Le mecque. I can't remember the English name, something like "Start Walking".

The Way was not great, but the scenery (not the plot) brought tears to my eyes.

I enjoyed the movie, but understand that it's not a documentary. It introduced me to the camino and this forum has provided me with a better picture of what walking the Way might be like. But I'm guessing I really won't know until I actually do the walking in 2016.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I loved the movie that first time I saw it. The second time I watched it I had more information (after researching this and other sites in preparation of my own Camino) and I was still enamored but understood that it was not all realistic. The third time I watched :) I was so proud of myself for being able to pick out some inconsistencies...like jeans, really big backpacks, and the café at Orisson several days into their trek. I may watch it again when I get back...for the scenery and a few laughs. I will probably still enjoy it though because I am a sucker for this type of story. :rolleyes:

It's watched by different people for different reasons. I was able (as a parent) to identify with Martin Sheens character and his troubles he had understanding his sons approach to life. It also pointed out to me how we live what we assume to be the "right" life, only to realize, sometimes too late, that we've chosen a less than fulfilling path.

I enjoyed it and didn't expect it to closely follow reality. I watched it again a few weeks ago and still found it entertaining.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Who wore jeans in the movie? I didn't notice that.

On the topic of jeans though, I did meet several people who wore jeans on the Camino. Strangely, they were all European men. I say strangely, because of how often folks on this board implore people not to wear jeans on the Camino, so I figured that was just common knowledge. Also, because if you're an American, everyone will tell you not to wear jeans in Europe because they will immediately identify you as a tourist.

Who wore jeans in the movie? I didn't notice that.

On the topic of jeans though, I did meet several people who wore jeans on the Camino. Strangely, they were all European men. I say strangely, because of how often folks on this board implore people not to wear jeans on the Camino, so I figured that was just common knowledge. Also, because if you're an American, everyone will tell you not to wear jeans in Europe because they will immediately identify you as a tourist.
I'll bet $$ Martin Sheen and the Canadian woman wore jeans. And I did see one person on the Francés, a Fench man, wearing blue jeans in 2013. He allowed me to take a picture of him so I could send it to my son who, just to be contrary, says that when he does the Camino, he's going to wear blue jeans.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also, because if you're an American, everyone will tell you not to wear jeans in Europe because they will immediately identify you as a tourist.

Huh o_O do you mean wear it on the camino and they know your a tourist or wear jeans anywhere in europe and they know your a tourist?
If the latter, is that really what americans tell eachother, if you dont want to look like a tourist in europe, DONT wear jeans? Hahaha....never heard that before. What do Americans think we Europeans wear then? If not jeans.

I liked the film. I know that it is a film and therefore I "understand" the gipsy episode in Burgos and the hospitalero in Navarra who wanted to be a bullfighter.
But I think that Galicia is nearly forgotten in the film (only a scene in O Cebreiro and then SdC). So, the big contrast between the Meseta and Galicia (that is an impotant issue in the Camino Francés) is not reflected in the film and would require another episode in Samos or in Melide eating pulpo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On topic: Really liked to movie, before and after my camino. Also after the second one, third one and probably also after the next one.
A movie is a movie and not reality. I really appreciated that it did not have the typical hollywood sauce.
I think it introduced alot of people around the world to the camino's existence in general and i think Spain and the small businesses on the camino did not mind that AT all :)

Would be fun to compare camino stats pre and post "the way".

It's what started it all for me. Hubby had seen the movie while traveling and had recommended it to me. I was resistant and didn't want to see a 'boring' movie about a walk. But I relented and put it on one night when he was out. Well guess who was waiting up for him when he got back! 8 months later I was walking. :)

What I most appreciated in the movie (after the landscapes and laughs) was that it didn't have the whole sex&crime addition that you typically find in any Hollywood. movie. I read a review once that called it "severely under-dramatized" and I only thought: Thankfully it is!
Buen Camino! SY

Huh o_O do you mean wear it on the camino and they know your a tourist or wear jeans anywhere in europe and they know your a tourist?
If the latter, is that really what americans tell eachother, if you dont want to look like a tourist in europe, DONT wear jeans? Hahaha....never heard that before. What do Americans think we Europeans wear then? If not jeans.
Everyone I know in Biarritz wears jeans, everywhere, every day. We pick the tourists out as the ones who wear white sneakers, fanny packs and shorts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Everyone I know in Biarritz wears jeans, everywhere, every day. We pick the tourists out as the ones who wear white sneakers, fanny packs and shorts.
A fanny pack, YESSSS, that is the ultimate tourist accessorie. Maybe all americans have one of those.......to blend in? ;) :)

Some of the nicest and best jeans in the world come from Europa (italy).......and Japan (not europa haha)

.......... and the hospitalero in Navarra who wanted to be a bullfighter.

Life imitates art.
We stayed at the Hotel Akerreta (where those scenes were filmed) while on Camino last year. The hotel owner is a local man who lives on site with his wife and children. I kept thinking he was familiar, but could not place him.
Finally, he and I had a moment for a chat. Turns out he too had a dream; to be a Jai Alai player. And in fact had lived that life for awhile, here in my hometown in Florida. That is were I knew him from. We talked about our youth and the dreams that are now lovely, glorious memories.
That place, that time, that experience is very much a part of the tapestry of my Camino; an experience I owe completely to "The Way".

I loved the movie. Had it not been for that movie, I would not have known about the Camino, would not have walked the Camino in 2013, would not have "met" some of the most wonderful people on this forum and on the Camino itself, and would not have met Ivar in person while picking up some items I forwarded to him to store :)

I also loved it and it introduced me to the Camino. Like others before me I recognize it is just a movie and artistic license has to sometimes be taken to make a movie "work" AS a movie which is meant to entertain not necessarily to inform. To my mind however it did both and stands as an inspiration to MANY. As such, it is a complete success and delivers it's message quite effectively. To those who hear the call to walk "The Way", sometimes it is a movie that shouts it. I made my husband watch it several years ago after I caught the bug and while he liked it, it did not quite inspire him the way it did me and on this journey for our Camino it was me as the driving force leading us to to our May 2015 departure, even though walking a Camino is much more something HE would usually be wanting to do. No idea why our roles reversed on this one but I figure the movie ignited a flame in me that simply will not be quenched until I get to Spain and probably not even then. The funny thing is, on one of our daily training walks the other day he posed that maybe we should watch the movie again before we go ... I almost fainted ... he NEVER wants to rewatch a movie he's seen before and certainly not one that was only mildly entertaining for him and not one that was initially overly inspiring for him either in fact I don't think he ever REALLY understood why I feel I HAVE to do this but I think he's starting to (that said he has always been very supportive even though he didn't quite understand) .... we haven't re-watched it yet but it will be interesting what he takes away from it a second time so close to our own eventual departure later this spring. Oh and it was rather funny to see Martin pass Orisson after a week or so walking knowing as we all do, it's real location ... looking forward to THAT moment myself but hopefully I can get there in one ;)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A fanny pack, YESSSS, that is the ultimate tourist accessorie. Maybe all americans have one of those.......to blend in? ;) :)

Some of the nicest and best jeans in the world come from Europa (italy).......and Japan (not europa haha)
No way would I ever wear a fanny pack, but I do have a small backpack thing. Is that bad?
Don't know much about jeans. I only wear Levis....:cool:

I meant to mention earlier, but was posting from a pad, that I bought the DVD of the movie. I know you can watch it on Netflix. I wanted to get it for my parents to watch or other friends and family that asked more about it.

So, I watched the DVD with my family and was very pleasantly surprised that there was a director’s cut included with the DVD! A directors cut is where the movie is completely played again, BUT with the actor and directors talking about the movie and specific scenes and some of the crazy stuff that got it to happen, I enjoyed it almost as much as the movie.

The scene that really jumped out that they commented on ---- SPOILER ALERT, DO NOT READ IF you did not see the movie… I mean it… it could be a spoiler --- The scene where she comes to his hotel room for drinks caused many first viewers to comment, “Here comes Hollywood and we know what’s going to happen.” Only to realize that it was a good plutonic relationship and perhaps became her cure over an issue with men.”

This impressed me in keeping with the story line and not throwing in the trash which many require for entertainment. Just my two cents.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No way would I ever wear a fanny pack, but I do have a small backpack thing. Is that bad?
Don't know much about jeans. I only wear Levis....:cool:
Hahaha, the fashion police has no issues with backpacks, big or small:D

Ordered the documentary Six ways to Santiago here today. Very curious about that

For anyone interested, Sheen and Estevez discussed the filming of 'The Way' in 2011 at a Pilgrimage Symposium at Georgetown University, which posted the video on YouTube. After much preliminary introduction the Sheen and Estevez segment begins at about 18 min. The backpack falling off the bridge was suggested by Sheen during the filming. After a stuntman almost drowned during the filming of this scene, Sheen volunteered to try and it is Sheen that you actually see in the movie.

'The Way' was loosely based on Jack Hitt's book "Off the Road" which my first exposure to the CdS. Hitt walked again later with his daughters which he described in a NYT article

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/travel/hiking-through-history-with-your-daughters.html?_r=0

Life imitates art.
We stayed at the Hotel Akerreta (where those scenes were filmed) while on Camino last year. The hotel owner is a local man who lives on site with his wife and children. I kept thinking he was familiar, but could not place him.
Finally, he and I had a moment for a chat. Turns out he too had a dream; to be a Jai Alai player. And in fact had lived that life for awhile, here in my hometown in Florida. That is were I knew him from. We talked about our youth and the dreams that are now lovely, glorious memories.
That place, that time, that experience is very much a part of the tapestry of my Camino; an experience I owe completely to "The Way".

Yes, certenly in Navarra despite San Fermin, must be easier to meet someone who wants to be a Jai Alai player than a bullfighter, but to my surprise I found out on Internet that there had been quite a few bullfighters from Navarra, so I must rectify and accept the Hopitalero scene on the film as possible in real life.

I wouldn't leave home without my fanny pack. :) :) I use it after my day on the Camino and I'm walking around the village or the town. Holds my camera, wi-fi device, glasses case, etc. etc. However, I do drape it in a masculine manner over one shoulder like a bandolier. ;)

And I loved "The Way".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I could care less about accuracy in film, but I didn't think it was a very good movie (although it did have some beautiful moments). Saint Jacque le Mecque is better. And the new documentary (6 ways to Santiago) is even better than that (and, no, not because it is a documentary nor because of some notion of authenticity).

I love the movie and have watched it several times, I also met several pilgrims who were on the Camino after watching it and who made a snap decision to walk. They were totally unprepared but completed their Camino all the same. It is a remake of The Wizard of Oz of course but a lovely movie all the same.

I hadn't thought of the Wizard of Oz analogy -- thanks for that!

I enjoyed the movie as much after the Camino as I did before. I noticed a handful of locations being

I mean wearing jeans in general. If you google, "How not to look like a tourist" you'll get a bunch of lists from various websites. And on most of those lists, they say something about not wearing jeans.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I enjoyed the movie as much after the Camino as I did before. I noticed a handful of locations being

I mean wearing jeans in general. If you google, "How not to look like a tourist" you'll get a bunch of lists from various websites. And on most of those lists, they say something about not wearing jeans.

That is so weird. I think 75% of the people i know wear jeans on a daily basis and i think 95% of all people here have at least one or two pairs of jeans in the closet.
I wear jeans every day. Would not even want to wear anything else.
I'm a tourist in my own city :) ....and its not because of the iphone hidden in my pocket ;)

A little bit of attitude,

I don't like this movie.

The Way.

Pfffttt
I'll also say, if you are going to start (yet another) thread attacking a movie you know is important to a lot of people on this forum, could you try to at least be articulate about your reasons/methodology? Don't get me wrong, I've been a pretty harsh critic of that film on here. But it just seems like this OP is almost trying to pick a fight for the sake of it. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't, but you'd help you own cause by offering more than "pffft"

I found the secondary characters in The Way to be rather two dimensional, and there were none I could closely identify with. At least three secondary characters had oral fixations, which seems too heavily weighted on that side -- the Dutch glutton, the female chain smoker, and the Irish wannabe writer/poseur with verbal diarrhea. None of them seemed to get much out of their experience and none was very appealing to me. Martin Sheen was so bullheaded in his insistence on keeping his eyes shut and charging forward that it put me off. His golf-playing, teeth-extracting, sun-drenched existence in Los Angeles seemed so empty and miserable, despite all the smugness, no wonder his son was looking for something else. The Sheen character was just so dense that he never seemed to really start thinking about how his life had gone wrong. His walk was about finding who his prodigal son was, rather than finding himself. In some ways it was a walk of penance, rather than a walk of self discovery, which I would have found more interesting. I wanted him to stop at some point and shout at himself, "What the hell have I done with my life?" Sheen was so abrasive and surly, if I had run into him on the Camino, I would have ducked into a bar and let him charge ahead, hopefully to never be seen again. I kept waiting for the scene in which he fully feels the pain of having driven his son away and understanding it is too late to do anything about it -- that scene never came.

On the other hand the scenery was so gorgeous I was sure the movie had selected a few choice locations, skipping everything else. When I walked it myself, I was delighted to find the whole thing beautiful.

I loved this movie and it helped fill in some visual gaps when my son started trying to explain the camino to me. It did help in a small way in making the ecision to go. What I found strange though was the people I met on the Camino who thought it was a true story and nothing could convince them otherwise. The only part of it that I know to be fact is the hospitalero Ramon. He is taken directly from Off The Road by Jack Hitt. I read this book recently but that incident was the only one I could actually relate to the movie. This has me in the mood so off to stick on the dvd and get myself hyped up for April :)

For anyone interested, Sheen and Estevez discussed the filming of 'The Way' in 2011 at a Pilgrimage Symposium at Georgetown University, which posted the video on YouTube. After much preliminary introduction the Sheen and Estevez segment begins at about 18 min. The backpack falling off the bridge was suggested by Sheen during the filming. After a stuntman almost drowned during the filming of this scene, Sheen volunteered to try and it is Sheen that you actually see in the movie.

'The Way' was loosely based on Jack Hitt's book "Off the Road" which my first exposure to the CdS. Hitt walked again later with his daughters which he described in a NYT article

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/travel/hiking-through-history-with-your-daughters.html?_r=0

Wait - Georgetown University has a Pilgrimage Studies Institute?? Travel as Transformation as a major sounds kinda great. Where can I sign up?

Last edited:
I had to show "The Way" to wife and daughter to convince them that I wasn't walking through Alpine mountains and bandit country.It did the trick and they are both happier about my walking the Camino.
I was inspired in the first instance though by a documentry by Simon Reeve,who if I remember correctly,was a contributor to Lonely Planet.
He covered the Way of St James as part of a series.

The movie is about CF, not about a random pilgrimage: surely it is not not the Mecca.

It was a bit of a bore, and even iritating at times, but the end in Santiago are what made me think of it as a worthwhile film: we all get there, with the illusion of new friendships and what have you, only to go home alone, to our routine, unless ... And you hit the wall, of reality. What will you do about it?

Iritating at times, especially with the nutter in jeans walking with them and the nutter at the albergue. Dutch, righ? But we have all met nutters we did not want to walk with, and apparently the Potuguese has an albergue with a nutter as well.

Yes, they got the sequencing off - no excuse, other than the fact that other than 1 million or so people may, of which many will not see the movie, may know the real sequens. It's a film, not a documentary Breath in.

My only bone with it is that it has brought an influx of Universal Studios clients, who are not prepared for what is ahead, and annoy me. Surely my sitting meditation should allow me to deal with that. If I can't, I have only myself to blame. If they ruin my day, for being themselves, perhaps I need to change myself. - OH, wait, something to embroider on my sleepingbag for those whom I annoy ;00

I read today a post about a couple having in hissy fit in Zubiri after having watched the movie: would love to see THAT become part II.

And this video is really good - ya'll should watch it. Lot's of great background info on the film. Plus those two (or the whole Estevez family) seem really lovely.

Comments on the thread so far often focus on the movie "The Way" as a personal inspiration.

I suppose the movie does offer a glimpse of what to expect but what it provides is as close to reality as a daytime soap opera is to real life, in my opinion.

I lament that a Hollywood depiction of a pilgrimage and its star who didn't walk it is regarded as worthy of admiration and inspiration.

I remember clearly my brush with inspiration on the Camino.

It was in a bar on the Meseta just before siesta. We were exhausted, hot and resting with a Coke with ice. Outside on the patio, shaded by an umbrella was a young woman seated, clearly in distress. Her feet were blistered and bloody and she was crying. Others gathered around trying to console and provide assistance. The bar owner was there and he soon took charge, arranging with his nephew a car ride to the next village where first aid was available. In a while the car arrived, the girl departed and the gathered returned to the bar to finish, before walking on. At one point someone publicly thanked the bar owner for his efforts and his concern. His reply,

"...don't thank me señor, ....thank Santiago.."

Instantly revealed to all, the source of his view of his inspiration and motivation.
It was a simple, wonderful and inspirational lesson the Camino provided to us.

I sense an air of resentment from some on here towards those who became aware of the CF via the movie "The Way"....
Camino snobs, it seems. Almost like they're thinking "my reasons are better than yours. Stay off my road". ha ha
Live and let live. Get over it, and drink a cold one. The more the merrier.....:cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hadn't thought of the Wizard of Oz analogy -- thanks for that!
Here is my take, copied from a previous post.

"The Way" is a remake of the 1939 movie, The Wizard of Oz.
Tom is the new Dorothy, transported by a storm of emotions to a mystical faraway kingdom. There Tom begins a journey (on the Yellow Brick Road) to find his way back to the love and understanding that he once shared with his son, and to find acceptance of his sons passing.
Along the way, Tom meets a Dutchman, who has lost the love and respect of his family and friends, and ultimately his self respect, and is now walking on the YBR to find the courage to be himself.
Next on the way, Tom meets a woman who has lost all love for others, and truly for herself. She walks the YBR to find the love for herself, and thereby to forgive herself.
The scarecrow needed a brain, and so does the Irish writer. A man who knows the story is within him, but cannot find it (even when well oiled with wine and self pity).
The four pilgrims must constantly battle the wicked witch, Fear. For Fear is the only thing that can destroy them all.
When they overcome the witch and her harpies, they arrive at Oz (Santiago) each hoping to be given the secrets to make their dreams come true.
What they find at the end of the Road is that everything they desired, acceptance, love, forgiveness, feeling, understandings, were within them all the time. And that only Fear can hide these things from the true searcher.

Fade Out.
The End

BTW, I like the movie a great deal.
But I see the Camino as just the setting (albeit a beautiful one) for the retelling of one of human kind's greatest stories. Loss of something of value, an epic journey with brave companions to find the thing of value, and ultimate redemption and re-awakening. It is a great myth which has been told over and over since before recorded history. The number of modern books and movies with this basic plot are legion.

I meant to mention earlier, but was posting from a pad, that I bought the DVD of the movie. I know you can watch it on Netflix. I wanted to get it for my parents to watch or other friends and family that asked more about it.

So, I watched the DVD with my family and was very pleasantly surprised that there was a director’s cut included with the DVD! A directors cut is where the movie is completely played again, BUT with the actor and directors talking about the movie and specific scenes and some of the crazy stuff that got it to happen, I enjoyed it almost as much as the movie.

The scene that really jumped out that they commented on ---- SPOILER ALERT, DO NOT READ IF you did not see the movie… I mean it… it could be a spoiler --- The scene where she comes to his hotel room for drinks caused many first viewers to comment, “Here comes Hollywood and we know what’s going to happen.” Only to realize that it was a good plutonic relationship and perhaps became her cure over an issue with men.”

This impressed me in keeping with the story line and not throwing in the trash which many require for entertainment. Just my two cents.

Loved the movie. It was one of the reasons I walked in 2012 and I enjoyed it more the few times I've seen it since then. It was entertaining and brought back memories and emotions. I don't expect more from a movie. Do I think it was a great movie along the lines of The Godfather, Citizen Kane, On The Waterfront or Borat? No, but I loved it anyway.

:p

Captbuddy says it for me. I loved the movie, also the Directors' cut. It's about human relationships, discovery and redemption and the Camino setting provides a perfect backdrop and link for the story but that's all. There are delightful subtleties in the characterisations which took me several viewings to fully appreciate. The link to the Wizard of Oz was a nice surprise for me, too.

I'd been thinking of the Camino since several friends cycled it (two from Paris) and another toured the area by bus after recovery from a serious long term illness. The movie tipped me over the edge.

And I think my pack was at least the size if not bigger than theirs!

De colores

Bogong.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I remember a couple about my age (65) proudly declare on the first night's pilgrim meal at Orisson that 3 weeks before they had seen the movie "The Way" and that the inspiration was so overpowering they couldn't wait. With gear, plane tickets and guidebook in hand, they arrived in SJPP with no other preparation.
I last saw them near Zubiri, exhausted and dejected trying to communicate their need for a taxi in a loud and demanding tone to a shop keeper who clearly was not accustomed to being shouted at in English.
I presume they eventually got a ride to Pamplona and then back to California, wondering how Martin Sheen was able to do it.
What a shame that people default into thinking that all they need to do is shout in their own language for others to understand. In this day and age, you can even download a translator onto your mobile phone if you need help! And learning a few necessary words in a foreign language is only common courtesy.

I agree with you that too many of us have an "idealistic" view that the Camino is full of charm, beautiful views, and willing help on every corner. The reality is harsh. It's definitely not a walk in the park and only to be taken on board if you are used to walking long distances, and are prepared to encompass all things unfamiliar. I do think "The Way" gave a rather romantic appeal - something we all know not to be true.

We (me along with my husband) rode the Camino - setting off from Bayonne in France - in 2013. We used the path for much of the way, but tended to stick to the roads a lot as well. It was definitely the hardest event I have ever taken part in - even cycling 114 miles on one day when I was in my thirties pales into insignificance. But we stuck to it and the sense of achievement once we reached Santiago was overwhelming. For us, it wasn't about having a "surreal event" (although I have to admit we did have some rather weird occurrences that only enhanced our experience), but more that we were able to prove to ourselves that we could finish what we had started.

At the time, I was 65 and my husband 72. I remember wishing we could go on and on. We have, since arriving back home, thought of going back to walk the whole way, but ideas on that are in its infancy.

I have shown this movie, documentaries, video blogs and my own photos to my Mother. I have also got her to read "The Field of Stars". I think they have all helped her to have an insight into what I experience, why I feel compelled to repeat walking. I do not wish to express an opinion about factual accuracy in the Film "The Way" or comment on it's artistic merits. I would just like to say it has helped my mother to understand my obsession, and that I realise from many posts that it has inspired many to walk and in doing so find who knows what about themselves. Just as a Korean book has resulted in many South Koreans walking. Anything that inspires/motivates people to engage with the Camino cannot be a bad thing in my eyes.

Follow the Yellow Ar-row,
Follow the Yellow Ar-row.
That follow the "Yellow Brick Road" song got stuck in my head every time I was hunting for the next arrow!

I sense an air of resentment from some on here towards those who became aware of the CF via the movie "The Way"....
Camino snobs, it seems. Almost like they're thinking "my reasons are better than yours. Stay off my road". ha ha
Live and let live. Get over it, and drink a cold one. The more the merrier.....:cool:

We need a thread "true confessions on how I found out about the Camino" I had been to LePuy, and my wife had been to Santiago, but we didn't know there was a trail marked until we read about it in the great academic literary work, "The Lonely Planet Guide to Spain"!

My introduction was a close friend of mine walked from Lyon to Santiago in 2004 with a small group from her parish in Wisconsin. After looking at her pictures and hearing about her experience I was intrigued and really wanted to go (although I am not catholic.)
Fast forward 8 years later, after watching the movie with friends, it made me realize I had been talking about walking the Camino "one day" for far too long. So I commited to doing it before I was 40. The next year I put a real departure date in place and started making plans.

I am 37 and leaving in about 60 days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We need a thread "true confessions on how I found out about the Camino"
My wife has dual citenzship (US and France) and is a Spanish Professor. She had wanted to do the Camino since college. She told me about it when we met and I replied "why would you waste an expensive trip to Europe walking across it?" My how times have changed. It next got brought up by my mom, who saw a travel show. By this point my wife and I were avid walkers, obsessed with the Basque Country, and one thing led to another and we were ready to go....

We need a thread "true confessions on how I found out about the Camino" I had been to LePuy, and my wife had been to Santiago, but we didn't know there was a trail marked until we read about it in the great academic literary work, "The Lonely Planet Guide to Spain"!

I learned about the Camino from Paulo Cohelo's book.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Public television show here in the US called "Travel with Rick Steves"....

We need a thread "true confessions on how I found out about the Camino"

I think I first saw the Camino referred to when I took an art history course as an undergraduate over 30 years ago. The text book showed examples of Romanesque and Gothic churches in northern Spain. The idea of walking the route has gnawed at me since, but until this year I have never had the free time to commit to it.

My introduction to the Camino was from my brother....who had watched The Way. Knowing that I had been going through a bad spell he thought it would do me good to take time out to do this....I watched the film and did some Camino research and decided it was not for me.....that was a few years ago.....now for reasons I cannot fully explain walking the Camino has become a priority and a must do........roll on April

I liked the blue jeans.

And when Martin Sheen took his pack off at the edge of that bridge, and the inevitable happened. Now, how idiotic is that?! :confused:
Well, that very nearly happened at the bridge entering Zuberi.....I jumped backwards up on the wall for a sit down....nearly overbalanced...bag still on my back!!......got the fright of my life when I saw the big drop into the river!.....I don't mind being as big an idiot as Martin Sheen!!!!!

I think I first saw the Camino referred to when I took an art history course as an undergraduate over 30 years ago. The text book showed examples of Romanesque and Gothic churches in northern Spain. The idea of walking the route has gnawed at me since, but until this year I have never had the free time to commit to it.

Me too! In graduate school more than 50 years ago I attended courses by the great medieval art/architecture historian Meyer Schapiro. Several erudite lectures focused on the architecture along the Camino Frances, not only great monuments but also simple vernacular buildings. He stressed the importance of carved shells as the major iconic motif for identifying all related to Saint James as well as the immense social impact of the camino path across northern Spain; the path became the 'main street' with ‘burgos de francos’ or independent neighborhoods settled by former pilgrims nearby and, thus, the towns developed. ... Bingo I was hooked and decided that someday I would walk that path myself. Forty years later I did; fifty year later I still am.

MM

It is good, but it is just that, a documentary. It follows 6 people from different countries on their camino. I liked it, but enjoyed the movie better.
I thoughtb the documentary gave a better feeling of what to expect including sore feet,blisters swollen knees etc. I liked them both but they are quite different.

Thanks for pointing out they were from California

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Mark, I am embarrassed to say I learned about the Camino from a travel and cooking show called "On the Road Again" with Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrow in 2010. My daughter told me about the show after we had driven around Spain in the summer of 2010 while I was constantly asking her, "What are all those people doing walking all day long with backpacks?"
My apologies for having contributed heavily to diversion about tourists and jeans (BTW Levis are the only jeans I know.)
Truth be said I loved the movie and watch it from time to time to conger up memories both good and bad. In 2012 I walked with a man and a woman who were from totally opposite poles and mindsets and it was very hard to get away from them, believe me it does happen! You can delay a day, you can take a bus ahead for a day; but like "bad pennies" they keep reappearing like your worst nightmare.
As I returned on the train today to Biarritz all I could think about was the brilliant soundtrack. Tyler Bates and Alanis Morrisette were great choices for the background sound. I've seen Six Ways and while it is a very good documentary, there is some timelessness it is lacking, begging for a redo in ten years time, I don't feel that way about "The Way."

Mark, I am embarrassed to say I learned about the Camino from a travel and cooking show called "On the Road Again" with Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrow in 2010.
I think that is the trip/tv show that led to Paltrow publishing her "definitive" guide to Spanish cooking....written by a vegan. Not knocking vegans/vegetarian at all, but a a Spanish cookbook without pork? (scratches head)

It's amazing how we all come across things. Sometimes the oddest sources lead to the greatest things.

Look, the movie "The Way" is not for everyone. Some people liked it and some didn't. For me i loved it. It was very inspirational. I did not know that the Camino existed prior to seeing the movie. I could not read enough about the Camino after seeing the movie and what people had experienced. Then I moved away from the movie and read what people had actually experienced after having walked the Camino. From there on I felt like the the Camino was calling me.
Today, I thank Martin Sheen and his sons for making the movie. I think when they made this movie they walked a mini Camino. I believe when the cameras were not rolling they hopped into a truck or a van and went from town to town-lol.

If someone had told me 10 or 20 yrs ago that one day I would walk and complete this wonderful 800 km journey, I would have thought them insane, but that's exactly what happened. :)

Thanks for pointing out they were from California
I am from California and I remember the walk to zubiri. I had shoes on that were just my size without any swelling room. I suffered a lot. I would have liked a cab, but I could not bring myself to go and get one. I had to complete this journey. I had come all the way from California, and the only way I could see my self going home was to go forward and walk to Santiago. (I will admit to buying a larger pair of shoes-lol)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I first heard about the Camino from Rick Steves as well. I was living in place with no cable and the only station I got on the antenna was PBS. I really didn't think anything of it at the time. I remember thinking, "must be nice to be able to afford to take a month off and go walking around Spain."

Then I heard a commercial on a Catholic radio station for The Way. One day I was looking for something to watch and Netflix had been recommending The Way to me for a few weeks, so I gave it a shot. My first reaction was, "Hey, this is the thing Rick Steves was talking about!" And I really liked the movie so I started looking more into the Camino. And after a few weeks, I started thinking, "You know, I could probably do this. I could save up enough and get a leave of absence from work." The more I thought about it and the more I learned, my thoughts became, "I HAVE to do this." Then, almost exactly 3 years from the first time I saw the Rick Steves show, I was standing in St. Jean Pied de Port thinking, "I'm actually doing this!"

So for me, The Way was not my first exposure to the Camino. But it was the catalyst that caused me to learn more about the Camino. And for that, I'm grateful for the film and everyone involved.

Mark, I am embarrassed to say I learned about the Camino from a travel and cooking show called "On the Road Again" with Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrow in 2010. My daughter told me about the show after we had driven around Spain in the summer of 2010 while I was constantly asking her, "What are all those people doing walking all day long with backpacks?"
My apologies for having contributed heavily to diversion about tourists and jeans (BTW Levis are the only jeans I know.)
Truth be said I loved the movie and watch it from time to time to conger up memories both good and bad. In 2012 I walked with a man and a woman who were from totally opposite poles and mindsets and it was very hard to get away from them, believe me it does happen! You can delay a day, you can take a bus ahead for a day; but like "bad pennies" they keep reappearing like your worst nightmare.
As I returned on the train today to Biarritz all I could think about was the brilliant soundtrack. Tyler Bates and Alanis Morrisette were great choices for the background sound. I've seen Six Ways and while it is a very good documentary, there is some timelessness it is lacking, begging for a redo in ten years time, I don't feel that way about "The Way."
Well, that's a good a way as any to learn about it I suppose, and you got to see pilgrims walking firsthand before you ever researched it. That's pretty cool.
After I saw that travel show on PBS I did internet research on the Camino and promptly bought the Brierley guidebook and the movie, The Way off of amazon.com. The DVD sat on a desk for a couple of months before I ever watched it. I enjoyed it. Watched it again after I walked my first Camino.

I think that is the trip/tv show that led to Paltrow publishing her "definitive" guide to Spanish cooking....written by a vegan. Not knocking vegans/vegetarian at all, but a a Spanish cookbook without pork? (scratches head)

It's amazing how we all come across things. Sometimes the oddest sources lead to the greatest things.
Ha ha.
Dat be like publishing a cookbook about south Louisiana with no meat the recipes......:eek:

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I first heard about the Camino from Rick Steves as well. I was living in place with no cable and the only station I got on the antenna was PBS. I really didn't think anything of it at the time. I remember thinking, "must be nice to be able to afford to take a month off and go walking around Spain."

Then I heard a commercial on a Catholic radio station for The Way. One day I was looking for something to watch and Netflix had been recommending The Way to me for a few weeks, so I gave it a shot. My first reaction was, "Hey, this is the thing Rick Steves was talking about!" And I really liked the movie so I started looking more into the Camino. And after a few weeks, I started thinking, "You know, I could probably do this. I could save up enough and get a leave of absence from work." The more I thought about it and the more I learned, my thoughts became, "I HAVE to do this." Then, almost exactly 3 years from the first time I saw the Rick Steves show, I was standing in St. Jean Pied de Port thinking, "I'm actually doing this!"

So for me, The Way was not my first exposure to the Camino. But it was the catalyst that caused me to learn more about the Camino. And for that, I'm grateful for the film and everyone involved.
That's pretty cool.
My first Camino I didn't get into SJPdP until late, having caught the last train out of Bayonne. Had no reservations for a place to stay, or even a guidebook or map. There was nobody else at the train station and as I walked into town, everything was so quiet. The streets were rolled up. I remember thinking, "what the heck have I gotten myself into?"....ha ha

I'll also say, if you are going to start (yet another) thread attacking a movie you know is important to a lot of people on this forum, could you try to at least be articulate about your reasons/methodology? Don't get me wrong, I've been a pretty harsh critic of that film on here. But it just seems like this OP is almost trying to pick a fight for the sake of it. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't, but you'd help you own cause by offering more than "pffft"

First I should have clarified, I didn't mean The Way with Martin Sheen. Its the other The Way, the documentary .

Was not intended to be an attack. Sorry

€60,-
First I should have clarified, I didn't mean The Way with Martin Sheen. Its the other The Way, the documentary .

Was not intended to be an attack. Sorry
Whahahahaha:D LOL

Too funny, this.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back