Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Primitivo route can't be as confusing as it appears, rig

GaryandKatie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo September 2013
Hi all!

Reading through the just received CSJ Pilgrims Guide to Spain 4 Los Caminos del Norte and Camino Primitivo by Walker and Lennie and the directions in many of the stages look simply beyond confusing ( turn after turn after turn, so many roads, construction,etc) so my question is this: has anyone walked from Oveido to Santiago recently and what is it really like, direction wise ( and other wise if you are so inclined)

I know this is all part of the path and I also know we will be just fine and will figure it out when there, when we have to,etc but since we aren't going until early September I figure I can do some research....I was just flabbergasted by how confusing the directions were/are in this book

Thanks much

Buen Camino.....................Gary

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Gary
I used the 2010 version of the CSJ guide in 2011. According the CSJ website the 2012 version just has a few minor updates. Yes, I scratched my head a bit when I first got it. But actually it was fine. The way-marking was exceptionally good, so I practically never used it to check for directions. It might be worth cross-referencing accommodation with some of the popular websites like mundicamino and eroski. These sites are also useful for seeing the route in basic maps. These will give you an idea as to the amount of climb each day and also help you visualise the alternative route options (such as Hospitales/Pola) which are difficult to understand when they are just in text as in the CSJ guide. But really, it's very straightforward and the CSJ guide will do what little guiding needs to be done.
cheers, tom

would you attempt this route with just the gronze maps and Laurie's description given on this forum?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Rachael
just linking to the other thread where this is raised and which has everyone's links to the free sites of eroski, gronze and mundicamino
camino-primitivo/topic15968.html
I haven't seen Laurie's notes for the Primitivo.

My view? why end up faffing about with loads of bits of paper off a printer if you can pick up the properly researched CSJ guide for six quid and add a few annotations off the net ?(a pointless argument to kindley/i-pad types, I realise)
Also don't forget Dave's northern routes new Cicerone guide is about £16. It has great maps and looks to be accurate and useful. I've already split my copy into three parts. Handy if you plan to walk the Norte afterwards.
Decisions, decisions

I was just thinking of having some documents Id put together on my phone to look at each evening in preparation for the next day's walk. Was considering taking NO guidebook at all. On the Frances we found we used it only to check where accommodation was and to scan elevations. We definitely did not need it for directions as arrows and scallops were plentiful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gary
I went in September/October and it was amazing, so a little bit of envy creeping in here...

Rachael
you don't need a guidebook. But some of the wonderful things I might have missed without a prompt from the CSJ guide include the Obona Monastery ruins and church (slight detour), the ethnographic museum at Grandas and the walk around the Roman walls of Lugo. If your web research is coming up with these and other treats already then a guidebook is not necessary.

peregrino_tom said:
Gary
I went in September/October and it was amazing, so a little bit of envy creeping in here...

Rachael
you don't need a guidebook. But some of the wonderful things I might have missed without a prompt from the CSJ guide include the Obona Monastery ruins and church (slight detour), the ethnographic museum at Grandas and the walk around the Roman walls of Lugo. If your web research is coming up with these and other treats already then a guidebook is not necessary.

Those are exactly the things I have recorded in my notes (along with the likes of Santa Eulalia, the church with the painted Roman crypt/boveda beneath it). I'm really keen to keep weight down when we'll be needing to carry food for a couple of days (if we are still going slowly at that point). But I just did not want to assume it was as well marked as the Frances and end up getting lost. Thanks for your input.

Gronze maps is all you need. I never lost directions even without maps but used them for distance planning.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Trying to read the CSJ guide before the Camino is helpful, but perhaps can seem confusing. once walking with it however it shows its worth. All those directions become really helpful and the extra info re bars/accomodation suggestions are good too.

I found the route to be perfectly indicated at all stages, more so than I was expecting. Never got lost, not even once. Apart from the sites mentioned, I found Jacobea.net to be useful. The Principality of Asturias also edits a very nice guide that you might want to have a look at.

No. It's not at all confusing. Just follow the yellow arrows, of which there are plenty. Throw away Walker's guide. I helped copy edit Lennie's update, and tried to simplify it, but the CSJ were having none of it. The only time there is any difficulty is getting out of Oviedo, but follow the arrows. Also log onto the Eroski Camino guide for the Primitivo - it's brilliant and totally up to date.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
.I was just flabbergasted by how confusing the directions were/are in this book
Hi Gary,
I just did the Camino Primitivo and had no problem. My guidebook's author is Carlos Mencos, and he is very accurate indicating all turns and roads to take on this Camino. He never fails with accurate and updated directions. Also, if you can read Spanish, the EROSKI app. is amazing; it is updated quite often and it too, does not disappoint the pilgrim. This app is very easy to download and use.

Ultreia!

Mary

sirjohnharington said:
No. It's not at all confusing. Just follow the yellow arrows, of which there are plenty. Throw away Walker's guide. I helped copy edit Lennie's update, and tried to simplify it, but the CSJ were having none of it. The only time there is any difficulty is getting out of Oviedo, but follow the arrows. Also log onto the Eroski Camino guide for the Primitivo - it's brilliant and totally up to date.

Buen Camino!
I for one am glad that CSJ didn't 'simplify' the guide. We appreciate the detail. It also helps in Oviedo where several routes all leave the city by slightly varying routes. :)

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back