• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Things that I would do differently

Stellere

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2014 - con mi padre
I have no real regrets from my camino, but there are a few things that I'd do differently the second time around! I figured I may as well share, just in case someone finds themselves in the same position that I was in. If I could start again, I would…

1) Go inside the church in Santo Domingo. When we were there, there were two or three busloads of tourists walking in, so we decided not to bother with the crowds. When we got to Granon and the hospitalero told us the story of the chickens, I really regretted not going in!

2) Carry my pack to the Santiago cathedral. I really don't know what we were thinking! But it was pouring rain, we were exhausted, and we stopped in at an albergue in Santiago about a km from the church. We left our bags next to our beds - through sheer habit, I expect! - and went the last few steps packless. It felt a bit anticlimactic.

3) Use walking sticks from day one. Sore knees after the Napoleon pass put a real damper on the first 10 days of my trip. On more than one occasion I contemplated taking a bus or sending my pack ahead. I bought walking sticks on day four, but I think I could have saved myself a lot of grief if I'd just had them from the start. I'd also use knee braces for descents. I'm in my mid-thirties, and I was surprised at my knee pain.

4) Carry a more comprehensive first aid kit from the beginning. I don't mean bigger necessarily - just that I could have really used some gauze and tape on day two. We met a girl with large weeping blisters on each heel, and they were too big for any of the compeed or bandages that we were carrying. I stocked up on a few extra supplies in the next town, just in case.

5) Not send forward my down jacket after week one. Its weight was negligeable - 220 grams, I think - but my dad was sending forward some stuff, and I figured I wouldn't need it anymore since I was out of the mountains. It turns out that I needed it! I ended up buying another long-sleeved shirt for layering (and I already had 2 long-sleeved merino shirts AND a fleece). It was really cold some days in late March and early April!

If you could start again, is there anything that you would do differently?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I guess when you are a repeat offender, like me, you fix those things. Remembering back to my first Camino, these are the things I would and have changed:

(1) take a much lighter pack, with fewer clothes
(2) wear light shoes instead of boots
(3) take a poncho instead of a 3 layer Goretex jacket
(4) take a roll of micropore tape instead of Compeed
(5) take an umbrella
(6) take a lightweight down liner/quilt, instead of a sleeping bag
(7) take transition spectacles, instead of separate glasses and sunglasses

I also take a smartphone instead of books, maps, camera, and torch. But that's not really fair; when I first walked 14 years ago smartphones did not exist!

And I now walk to meet people, to see things of interest and beauty, to feel good, to meditate, and to enjoy the strength my body gains, instead of fixating on how many kilometres I do each day.

Last edited:
I'd be intentional about rest days. Instead of reaching a spot and thinking, "oh, I don't need a break," I'd force my self to stop and take a day off. The few times I did a rest day, it made all the difference psychologically. It really recharged those batteries.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't want to say I "got it right" the first time but I think I came fairly close. If I did it again (we're talking an increasingly small window of opportunity at 80+!) I think I'd try to continue where I left off, spiritually, but again from SJPdP. By its very nature the Camino would be different. I wouldn't throw away my 2.7 oz. pillow this time though!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wouldn't change much. I'd take less electronic gear. Really, a communicator with a built in camera is all one needs. I also wouldn't walk 40km (did it twice) in any single day - it turned those days into unpleasant experiences. I'd also eat more pinxtos in Logrono and Burgos!

Started in SJPDP April 30 and arrived in Santiago June 5

Last edited:
The one thing I would do differently if I do it all over again, I still have not done and I AM doing it all over again (different route September 1st) and that is learn Spanish!! What is my problem??

I guess when you are a repeat offender, like me, you fix those things. Remembering back to my first Camino, these are the things I would and have changed:

(5) take an umbrella
(7) take transmission spectacles, instead of separate glasses and sunglasses

I also take a smartphone instead of books, maps, camera, and torch. But that's not really fair; when I first walked 14 years ago smartphones did not exist!

And I now walk to meet people, to see things of interest and beauty, to feel good, to meditate, and to enjoy the strength my body gains, instead of fixating on how many kilometres I do each day.
Kanga like all you have said - when you say travel lighter what size pack do you carry? I haven't bought mine yet, but trying on and confused by different advice- would be grateful of advice, it will be my first time and I had wanted to travel light -

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would walk. I rode a bicycle last time and it was a fabulous ride. As far as a cycle adventure the route on the French Way is pretty stellar. However, I walked the last part from Leon and had a very different experience. As a pilgrimage I think walking is better.
Being the charmed, blessed gal that I am I will get to do it again.
I fly into Paris on August 12. Training (if the strike is resolved) it to Bayonne and walking the Tunnel route to Granon. And I also missed the church in Santo Domingo but not this time the good Lord willing.

Back in Santiago, two weeks ago, we had a lot of similar discussions sitting around drinking wine. Almost everyone said that if they were ever going to walk it again they would take at least 60 days. Just about everyone regretted not spending more time in certain cities or towns.
Almost all said they foolishly worried about the weight of their packs when in reality, they all became stronger as they walked and would pack many more comfortable things next time, no matter what those things weighted.
Lot of votes on more First Aide stuff also.
Women also liked the big ponchos that girls from Oz used as Mobile Banos in the fields along the Meseta.
Mixed feelings on cell phones--some would not bring one again while those who did not bring one said they might bring one next time. I did not take one so missed out on those special times each evening when groups of Pilgrims gathered together outside albergues , sitting in total silence , texting their Gods.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How do you people with one pair of light shoes get through the mud? When I went over the Pyrenees the mud before "the leaves" was six inches deep.

I just wade through it - the mud washes off under the tap and the shoes dry quickly. My socks and shoes do finish up a horrible colour.

I'd make a few changes.
1. Bring more, but thinner top layers to have more options for warmth without adding bulk. My fleece was bulky and inconvenient, but a thinner fleece combined with a light windbreaker would have been much more useful.
2. Bring zip-off hiking pants rather than separate pants and shorts
3. Bring hiking sandals as well as hiking shoes
4. Bring a lightweight dress for relaxing in the evenings
5. Leave the headlamp at home - never used it.
6. Bring more blister supplies (prevention and treatment), but leave most of the other first aid stuff at home.
7. Bring a lighter poncho - mine is great for regular camping and boating, but I never realized how heavy it was until I had to carry it around.

Kanga like all you have said - when you say travel lighter what size pack do you carry? I haven't bought mine yet, but trying on and confused by different advice- would be grateful of advice, it will be my first time and I had wanted to travel light -

It's very individual. A bit like shoes. Just compare the weight of the packs you are considering. My pack is now an Aarn Featherlite Freedom pack (Google it) but it is idiosyncratic, expensive, and not easy to buy except in Australia and New Zealand. The pack is actually bigger than I need, but very comfortable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kanga. Thanks for all the useful tips. This forum is such a wealth of ideas and advice. We too are carrying aarn feather lite freedom packs. As you said it is bigger than you need and I'll be taking mine half empty but when I get to Barcelona I'll be shopping and I am sure I will fill it up!

Use a lighter backpack that fits better -
Use walking sticks from the get-go
Leave myself more time, so I can take rest days and not feel the pressure of that return flight date!!

I hope/plan to return in 2016 - and to walk from Pamplona to Burgos; then from Fromista to Santiago! And if I can't have an open-ended travel plan, I will walk what I can and come back another time to finish

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kanga. Thanks for all the useful tips. This forum is such a wealth of ideas and advice. We too are carrying aarn feather lite freedom packs. As you said it is bigger than you need and I'll be taking mine half empty but when I get to Barcelona I'll be shopping and I am sure I will fill it up!

Good idea! I tentatively plan to stay with friends in Paris then, er, chill in Amsterdam post Camino, so some retail therapy may just do the trick!

2 zip off pants, 2 quick dry undershorts, 2 quick dry tee shirts, 2 quick dry long sleeve shirts, 3 pair wool boot socks, 1 set ultra lite long johns, fleece, rain jacket, poncho, travel umbrella, sleeping bag liner, camera, iPod, nook tablet, very small phone for emergencies, travel papers, 1/2 pack towel, minimal toiletries, first aid kit (lump, bumps, cuts, and blisters), 2 liter platypus bladder, zipper pull flash lite, ultra lite head lamp, trekking poles, Spork, pocket knife, prescriptions for duration of trip + 7 days, sandals, open mind and positive attitude. Pack and gear come in at 10% body weight. The other 5% that I'm in denial about goes in my pockets :D. I will bring and depending on weather forecast, leave at hotel if not needed, a small sleeping bag, ultra lite air mattress, and space blanket.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would recognize and feel at ease when walking with new camino acquaintances -- when I need to stop to rest or rest my feet -- rather than walking through the early warning signs of blisters between Roncesvalles and Zubriri. I would travel with a simple s-hook (bent metal clothes hanger would do) to hang my not-to-loose items over the shower door or shower rod in albergues (which did not provide a hook on ten shower wall or door). I would allow myself more time to walk shorter distances, too allow myself time and energy to see more sights along the camino.

Question: has anyone ever gotten all of their clothes wet in a small village where said items could not be purchased due to rain, or falling in the mud and dipping your hopefully drying clothes pinned to your backpack into it etc, or had your washed and drying clothes in an albergue drenched in a sudden shower?
Honestly, that is my biggest camino fear and what I suspect would be my Achilles heel when packing.

For starters, I've downsized my pack from an Osprey (ultra light with no padding) Exos 46 to a Gregory Z30 (well padded), cut my microfiber terry towel in half, different full brim sun hat, and I'm sticking with the same type of clothes I carried last summer. When it comes to socks, and if you've been using them for some time, (like a year before I left) get new socks before you leave, mine started breaking down after Burgos, I brought five well used pairs and all were broken down by the end.

I just wade through it - the mud washes off under the tap and the shoes dry quickly. My socks and shoes do finish up a horrible colour.

Doesn't the grit wear holes in your shoes? Never found any type of hiking boots or sneakers that handled several days of mud or wet sand very well. Only had to walk in wet off the shelve no-name sneakers twice on recent trip as after we started putting rocks on the cairns for the Mountain Gods, the rain stopped. Day after we left Santiago, it received torrential rains!

Walking SJPP to Santiago, the first 20-30 days of 16k-30k takes it toll in terms of the fatigue factor. Walking only 12k-20k per day would have made a big difference. The key factor is "No End Date". The pilgrims I met with no end date had the freedom to relax and enjoy the Camino without any stress of having to be at a certain place by a certain time. Our total travel time from April 28 to June 12 was not enough to allow for rest days, extra time in bigger cities - Pamplona, Burgos, Logrono, Leon, Astorga and Santiago, and to walk to Finisterre and Muxia. As for equipment, we're planning to return next year for Portugal to Santiago and/or Finisterre/Muxia. I looking at changing my pack from 45 liter to 30 liter and getting the weight down to 8 kg. My Lowa hiking boots did not work well and I'm in search of a trekking shoe that's lighter and provides more comfort.

In 2005 one year after completing my first 2004 Camino I decided to re-walk the pilgrimage route to try and recapture its special spirit. My kit weight would be lighter, from 8 kilos cut back to 6.5 by using a smaller 30 L knapsack and a more compact sleeping bag ecumenically named Little Buddha as well as wearing lightweight runners’ tights and technical tee shirts. Thus evolved my basic autumn/winter kit list. Eventually a water heating coil and smartphone were also added.

I intended that first camino to be a walk of personal thanksgiving testing tenacity and endurance. Nevertheless I was surprised and delighted to experience that special spirit of sharing amongst pilgrims and, thus, learned to not only offer ideas and help but always carry some food to easily share such as cookies or chocolate.

I also learned that shops may not be always be open (!!) and the necessity of being prepared. Hence my food basics would include tea bags, packets to make a cup of soup, firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Nothing heavy but enough to exist for 24 hours if need be. Especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims have often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food.

Of course I shared; hot soup, a chunk of cheese and wedge of sausage can be ambrosia in such a setting. A smile returned by a new friend over a simple meal is one of the Camino's many joys. Next morning after the tea, cookies and chocolate for our common breakfast we would set out together. At the first open shop I would re-stock those basics and usually the other pilgrim would buy provisions and be truly prepared.

Margaret Meredith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Question: has anyone ever gotten all of their clothes wet in a small village where said items could not be purchased due to rain, or falling in the mud and dipping your hopefully drying clothes pinned to your backpack into it etc, or had your washed and drying clothes in an albergue drenched in a sudden shower?
Honestly, that is my biggest camino fear and what I suspect would be my Achilles heel when packing.
I just Googled quotes about worry and came across this by Mark Twain, who never ceases to amuse me -

“I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.”

Fear not. The things you are worrying about are so very unlikely to happen, why waste time and energy fretting over them. If your washed and drying clothes get drenched in a sudden shower, you will wear the clothes you are wearing at the time, until you manage to dry out the drenched clothes. I brought two pair of pants with zip-off legs, and two shirts, all quick-drying and, aside from getting awfully tired of wearing them, I managed just fine - and I was on the Camino for 40 days. Besides, I was pleasantly surprised at how many albergues have washers and dryers. Please don't worry, and just enjoy your Camino planning.

Not I!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It's very individual. A bit like shoes. Just compare the weight of the packs you are considering. My pack is now an Aarn Featherlite Freedom pack (Google it) but it is idiosyncratic, expensive, and not easy to buy except in Australia and New Zealand. The pack is actually bigger than I need, but very comfortable.
what litre size is that please?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also learned that shops may not be always be open (!!)

You sure got that right. After forgetting my soap in an albergue, I went 4 days before I found a store with a bar of soap. After my underwear was stolen from albergue clothes line , I found several hiking stores with synthetic shorts for 37 Euros each but it took days before I found a cheap place to buy mens underwear. Stayed in many towns with no stores (or bars!) and also passed many stores closed for Siesta or for Sunday. Camino does not generally follow streets with actual stores with decent prices. In 43 days I was able to locate two Chinese stores that were open. Never did find a store that was open that sold 10 pound test fishing line so I could sew up two major rips in my backpack. And don't believe that every little town has a Pharmacia--lot of kilometers between those places.

(5) take an umbrella
(7) take transition spectacles, instead of separate glasses and sunglasses

What is micropore tape?
I have been trying to get a list of the first aid kit essentials.
What are they?

Check out ZPacks. They make a 1 pound (1.25 with the extra pouches) great pack.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The next time, I would be more conscious of drinking a lot more water, not just when thirsty....and eating more salada mixta.
Looking back, I had more days of low grade physical discomfort from constipation and more fear and anxiety of being caught short if I used a laxative than not.
If sore feet were not enough!
Oh, next time begins in 40 days!

I just Googled quotes about worry and came across this by Mark Twain, who never ceases to amuse me -

“I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.”

Fear not. The things you are worrying about are so very unlikely to happen, why waste time and energy fretting over them. If your washed and drying clothes get drenched in a sudden shower, you will wear the clothes you are wearing at the time, until you manage to dry out the drenched clothes. I brought two pair of pants with zip-off legs, and two shirts, all quick-drying and, aside from getting awfully tired of wearing them, I managed just fine - and I was on the Camino for 40 days. Besides, I was pleasantly surprised at how many albergues have washers and dryers. Please don't worry, and just enjoy your Camino planning.

Comforting words, charlesx. And you can't beat Mark Twain for wisdom.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I sometimes found my clothes hadn't dried by the morning but wore them anyway. They were all made of quick drying material so after a short while they'd dried off anyway. As I hate the heat and +5 is plenty warm enough for me when I'm walking, I actually found the damp T-shirt to feel rather cooling.

One of the reasons I love fine merino is that it feels warm, even when wet, and has natural wicking properties.

€60,-
I bring the lightest possible nightshirt, packed every morning into a ziplock bag. So if the scenario you describe were to happen, I'd at least have something dry to change into at the end of the day. On wetter Caminos, though, one does become accustomed to starting each day in still-damp clothes. Sigh.

Wet clothes--did not observe a lot of washing machines or dryers. Highest price noted for using either a washer or dryer was 8 euros! Most places seemed to charge 3 euros per load for either machine. Some places took Euros while others sold you a token for machine. Never used either as I hand washed clothes every day. Surprised how many people take lots of clothes so they only use a washer and dryer every 7 days or so. Lot of hikers, especially Eastern Europeans & Koreans, are not especially concerned about the weight of their packs--some seem to get tired of telling the lite weight nut cases that it is none of their business that they are carrying 18 or 20 kilos. Lot of free advice out on the road--everyone is an expert after the first day of walking.

... Lot of free advice out on the road--everyone is an expert after the first day of walking.

Some consider themselves 'to be experts' although they have never walked anywhere! Here in Champagne before I started in 2004 lots of sedentary neighbors offered all kinds of tips regarding the CF gleaned from what they had 'personally seen on tv'!! What useless hearsay!!

MM

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would drop my pack weight from 15 pounds to 10 pounds by replacing my Gregory Z Pack 55 with a Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Windrider Pack http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/review/product/list/id/29/category/6/?limit=20, I would not take my two pound down sleeping bag, and I would not take my second change of clothes (but I would keep three pairs of socks).

I would make sure I entered Burgos by way of the river, rather than walking for miles through factory lined thoroughfares.

I would take a conversational Spanish class prior to my walk, although some of my miscommunication experiences are some of my funniest memories.

I would make sure I had credit/debit cards in two different zippered pockets (I was pick pocketed in the Madrid train station), and I would make sure my wife and I were carrying different credit cards.

I would let go of any regret I would feel if we were not staying in the cheapest accommodation available.

But you know, in thinking out this response, I have really become aware of how minor these regrets are. Regret is not a word that describes my Camino experience. None of these things I've listed that I would do differently had much negative impact on me in the larger picture.

Great thread everyone. Thanks for sharing your experiences and especially your thoughts on how to enhance the "next one". Makes learning fun.
P.S. - hope "my way"eventually crosses that of mspath so that we can share some tea and chocolate!

You sure got that right. After forgetting my soap in an albergue, I went 4 days before I found a store with a bar of soap. After my underwear was stolen from albergue clothes line , I found several hiking stores with synthetic shorts for 37 Euros each but it took days before I found a cheap place to buy mens underwear. Stayed in many towns with no stores (or bars!) and also passed many stores closed for Siesta or for Sunday. Camino does not generally follow streets with actual stores with decent prices. In 43 days I was able to locate two Chinese stores that were open. Never did find a store that was open that sold 10 pound test fishing line so I could sew up two major rips in my backpack. And don't believe that every little town has a Pharmacia--lot of kilometers between those places.
Dental floss unwaxed, Floss you teeth, make a emergency shoe lace, sow up a tear in just about anything, lots of uses. Weights almost nothing. Be sure to have a needle that fits floss.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've loved reading all of your replies! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

I would listened to as many pilgrims as I can,sometimes because I was praying or singing I prefer to be alone,but back home what I most I've treasured is fellow pilgrims stories,their open hearts to explain their glories and setbacks,such a wonderful expression of fellowship and loving generosity on the camino,a perfect environment

We actually did pretty well with planning and packing. There are two things I would do differently:

1-Hiking shoes instead of boots
2-Liner instead of sleeping bag

Other than that, we did well. This forum was a terrific resource!
Hi Olivia.... I'm curious to know what time of year you went to make you wish you had a liner over the sleeping bag ??

2) Carry my pack to the Santiago cathedral. I really don't know what we were thinking! But it was pouring rain, we were exhausted, and we stopped in at an albergue in Santiago about a km from the church.
It was good that you had left your pack at the albergue, just like Burgos and Leon you are no longer able to take your packs or walking sticks into the Cathedral.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The one thing I would do differently if I do it all over again, I still have not done and I AM doing it all over again (different route September 1st) and that is learn Spanish!! What is my problem??
Quick, sign up on duolingo.com. Free Spanish lessons at your own pace but make it a quick pace. I regretted not refreshing my one year of high school Spanish before my last walk but I'm doing it now before my next walk.... the Camino Portuguese!

May-June, and yes it was cold enough for a sleeping bag, but I found that the pain of putting it together every morning and the extra bulk it added to the backpack was not worth it for me. My husband agreed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How do you people with one pair of light shoes get through the mud? When I went over the Pyrenees the mud before "the leaves" was six inches deep.
I used sandals the whole way. After coming down the Pyrenees I simply paddled into the stream in front of the monastery at Roncevalle and washed off, rung out socks and entered the hostel bright as a new pin.
I'd deffinitly leave my sleeping bag at home and use the blankets provided at the albergues, if it's a bit chilly just layer up with your fleece or something

If I left out my sleeping bag my pack would weigh less than 2 kgs. It only weighed 2.7 kgs as it was and I was occasionally embarrised when I saw other pilgrims with huge packs 10 or 12 kgs or more when mine was more or less a day sack size.It made me feel less of a pilgrim because it gave me the feeling they thought I was just a tourist out for a couple of hours walk.

I have no real regrets from my camino, but there are a few things that I'd do differently the second time around! I figured I may as well share, just in case someone finds themselves in the same position that I was in. If I could start again, I would…

1) Go inside the church in Santo Domingo. When we were there, there were two or three busloads of tourists walking in, so we decided not to bother with the crowds. When we got to Granon and the hospitalero told us the story of the chickens, I really regretted not going in!

2) Carry my pack to the Santiago cathedral. I really don't know what we were thinking! But it was pouring rain, we were exhausted, and we stopped in at an albergue in Santiago about a km from the church. We left our bags next to our beds - through sheer habit, I expect! - and went the last few steps packless. It felt a bit anticlimactic.

3) Use walking sticks from day one. Sore knees after the Napoleon pass put a real damper on the first 10 days of my trip. On more than one occasion I contemplated taking a bus or sending my pack ahead. I bought walking sticks on day four, but I think I could have saved myself a lot of grief if I'd just had them from the start. I'd also use knee braces for descents. I'm in my mid-thirties, and I was surprised at my knee pain.

4) Carry a more comprehensive first aid kit from the beginning. I don't mean bigger necessarily - just that I could have really used some gauze and tape on day two. We met a girl with large weeping blisters on each heel, and they were too big for any of the compeed or bandages that we were carrying. I stocked up on a few extra supplies in the next town, just in case.

5) Not send forward my down jacket after week one. Its weight was negligeable - 220 grams, I think - but my dad was sending forward some stuff, and I figured I wouldn't need it anymore since I was out of the mountains. It turns out that I needed it! I ended up buying another long-sleeved shirt for layering (and I already had 2 long-sleeved merino shirts AND a fleece). It was really cold some days in late March and early April!

If you could start again, is there anything that you would do differently?
Slow down. That's what I have said to myself a number of times. I walked St. Jean PdP to SDC in 30 days. Next time, 35 days, ensuring that I stop to smell the roses. I had the time of my life.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If I left out my sleeping bag my pack would weigh less than 2 kgs. It only weighed 2.7 kgs as it was and I was occasionally embarrised when I saw other pilgrims with huge packs 10 or 12 kgs or more when mine was more or less a day sack size.It made me feel less of a pilgrim because it gave me the feeling they thought I was just a tourist out for a couple of hours walk.

Ticytoc :) who cares what "They" think…… I am ( Camino and otherwise) a pilgrim / tourist/ site seer/ visitor / explorer/ walker …… I am walking to escape the judgements every day life brings ……. I may have to bring my armour with me to deflect judgements on camino:rolleyes:

I am curious … wearing sandals all the way …. no blisters ?? …. I already have boots but will being Keen's sandals as well

In 2005 one year after completing my first 2004 Camino I decided to re-walk the pilgrimage route to try and recapture its special spirit. My kit weight would be lighter, from 8 kilos cut back to 6.5 by using a smaller 30 L knapsack and a more compact sleeping bag ecumenically named Little Buddha as well as wearing lightweight runners’ tights and technical tee shirts. Thus evolved my basic autumn/winter kit list. Eventually a water heating coil and smartphone were also added.

I intended that first camino to be a walk of personal thanksgiving testing tenacity and endurance. Nevertheless I was surprised and delighted to experience that special spirit of sharing amongst pilgrims and, thus, learned to not only offer ideas and help but always carry some food to easily share such as cookies or chocolate.

I also learned that shops may not be always be open (!!) and the necessity of being prepared. Hence my food basics would include tea bags, packets to make a cup of soup, firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Nothing heavy but enough to exist for 24 hours if need be. Especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims have often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food.

Of course I shared; hot soup, a chunk of cheese and wedge of sausage can be ambrosia in such a setting. A smile returned by a new friend over a simple meal is one of the Camino's many joys. Next morning after the tea, cookies and chocolate for our common breakfast we would set out together. At the first open shop I would re-stock those basics and usually the other pilgrim would buy provisions and be truly prepared.

Margaret Meredith
Margaret I absolutely loves the sharing spirit along my journey. It is that spirit I remember most.

You can not go inside the cathedral with your backpack, it´s prohibited...

Katia

Hello Kanga, a question about the dimensions of your pack. Can you fit tracking poles inside it? And do you carry it on the plane with you? And is it waterproof by itself or does it rely on the dry bags? I'm looking at buying another pack for my next Camino.
Thanks

Yes, sticks fit inside. I have Black Diamond z-poles, which fold very small, so they are easy. My husband has cheap poles purchased from ? (maybe Aldi) and they still fit but he has to sort of wriggle them and put them in diagonally. The Featherlite Freedom is fitted with a very light dry bag inside (the front pockets also) and it is completely watertight - nothing inside has ever got wet.

Re taking it on board - I don't usually, but can't see why size would be a problem. I haven't because I assumed the sticks would be a problem, also other metal items like scissors and tweezers. And the pack does have a removable bendable metal rod you mould to fit your back. Just not sure if those things (and walking sticks) would be unacceptable to security. You'd have to detach the front pockets for the pack to fit but we do anyway when travelling - they convert to waist packs or clip together make a day pack. Or you could just store them empty inside the pack.

Last edited:
Thanks Kanga, sounds like the Featherlight Freedom may be a good option.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Try it before you decide. I don't want responsibility if you don't like it!
No worries, I won't blame you... I won't be buying it for a while yet anyway. Next camino in 2017! Just dreaming until then.

We carried our sticks and backpacks into the Santiago cathedral on June 16, 2014. No one said anything to us. Saw others with packs during services on June 17.

Would NOT do the Camino without a sleeping bag. Many Albergues do NOT have blankets, i.e Roncevalle does not but will sell you a sleeping bag for 64 euros. I lost ten kilos of body fat along the trail that was not there anymore to keep me warm! Nothing beats a good night's sleep and carrying a bag and a ground pad are worth every milligram even if you only use them one night. Go out in your yard for a night with only a liner with no pad and report back on how you slept.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm enjoying this thread...
I wish I was more loyal to my "gut feelings" ( I usually am pretty loyal to them) . I researched well and packed with no regrets BUT I listened to someone in St Jean who convinced me to throw out a fitted sheet and a nail file. I wished for that fitted sheet every night and searched hi and low for a nail file.

What I DID do differently the second time around and will continue to do.
I used Sheep skin strap covers for my backpack straps and my shoulders felt a millions times better on my Norte than they did on my Frances.
I used a Z-Pack front pack that was worth it's weight in gold to me, it held my books, passport, and money.
I packed a Macabi skirt and from now on will take ONLY that for my lower hiking attire ...and will take ONLY one.
I left the stinky blue microfiber "athletic" towel (that everyone had) and used a big cotton scarf to towel off. This dried quick, washed easily and served as a pretty accessory when I need a little pick me up of color.
I packed a fitted sheet and pillowcase- would never do the Camino without them. I do regret not modifying the pillow case for oversized pillows.
I wore ultra light marathon shoes HOKA ONYE ONYE Stinsons...wore wonderful Brooks the first time but my Hokas left me with way less foot pain.
I didn't pack thonged sandals...they gave me blisters the first time.
I don't see a need for three pairs of socks etc... BUT do for underwear because for some reason a pair does seem to come up missing each Camino.
I would advise women with clock work monthly cycles to be prepared for their cycles to throw you a curve ball- have needed items.
Saved my pennies for Merino Wool products that didn't need to be washed as much as other items, and didn't retain smell.
Utilized grocery stores more so I always had a little munchy with me...
Didn't take a camel back water resevoir as mine broke on Camino #1

Next time
I think I just might leave my sleeping bag behind and do the sleeping liner

My biggest social regret
A youngster invited me to sleep out with him under the stars one night, he was half my age...totally pilgrim appropriate...and I wish I had had that experience of camping on the way with a young gentleman who clearly knew how to camp...

Hi Olivia.... I'm curious to know what time of year you went to make you wish you had a liner over the sleeping bag ??
September/October - A little chilly at the end but that was taken care of by a jacket.

September/October - A little chilly at the end but that was taken care of by a jacket.
May-June, and yes it was cold enough for a sleeping bag, but I found that the pain of putting it together every morning and the extra bulk it added to the backpack was not worth it for me. My husband agreed.

Thanks for the feedback. I really wasn't keen on taking a sleeping bag. I'm planning for mid May to June 2015, but may have change my plans for Sept/Oct 2015 because of work schedules. Good to know that my layers will keep me warm !

I'm enjoying this thread...

I packed a Macabi skirt and from now on will take ONLY that for my lower hiking attire ...and will take ONLY one

I left the stinky blue microfiber "athletic" towel (that everyone had) and used a big cotton scarf to towel off. This dried quick, washed easily and served as a pretty accessory when I need a little pick me up of color....

I wore a Macabi and only took one. It is all I hike in from now on!

I used a sarong to dry, I loved it so much, I no longer have towels at home!

I just got back and I would only change a few things

1. Pack rain pants. It only rained a couple of days but we had downpours that were pretty impressive.
2. Go slower. We mostly followed Brierley's 33 day schedule with 2 days of rest I couldn't do it this time with my work schedule but if my husband and I go in the future we will slow it down considerably.
3. Pack for colder weather. We started walking on May 17th and it was really cold until well into June. I took a sleeping bag liner but not sleeping bag, so I bought one there. I had a lightweight fleece and rain jacket so wore both of them quite a lot.
4. Don't drink the water unless it's bottled. Many people have no problem drinking the water, but every time I did, my stomach was upset. Not horribly, but enough to affect me. Once I switched to bottled water I didn't have any problem.
5. Do better planning for mass times. One Sunday we walked through small villages and didn't find an evening mass. Kind of lame since I was on a pilgrimage and wanted to focus on my prayer life. I should have paid more attention.

One thing I want to recommend is to train before going. I'm in my early 50s and did train and it made a world of difference (although I have to admit I hurt my Achilles training so don't ask me how to train :). I know Brierley says if you are "reasonably fit" but I think his definition of reasonably fit higher than most people think. I saw many people suffering because they hadn't done anything before arriving. It isn't just the muscular pain, it's also the blisters because you haven't used your shoes/boots and socks enough to know how your feet work best. The pack weight makes a huge difference as well so your tendons and ligaments need time to adjust. I know younger people probably have less of an issue, but I would recommend it.

Agreed! I developed a cold which was making me feel pretty rough by the time we reached Villafranca Montes de Oca; it was 2 days until I could get some paracetamol in Burgos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi lrazzo. You say May June was quite cold. How cold? We are planning those dates for 2015.

The "rules" some pilgrims burden themselves with is interesting. In some cases it leads to false regrets. Why not leave some of these burdens with your stone at the Iron Cross? It would make Santiago a happier place!;)

I would not do anything differently even if I had a time machine. I cannot do or undo anything I have done or not done. The space-time continuum is pretty linear, at least in this universe. Maybe that is what forgiveness is all about (including self-forgiveness). I hope for serenity for everyone that is troubled by their camino. Maybe you can make it a calming event with prayer or meditation.

Doesn't the grit wear holes in your shoes? Never found any type of hiking boots or sneakers that handled several days of mud or wet sand very well. Only had to walk in wet off the shelve no-name sneakers twice on recent trip as after we started putting rocks on the cairns for the Mountain Gods, the rain stopped. Day after we left Santiago, it received torrential rains!
If you leave the grit in place for days on end, you'll likely have problems. But if you clean the worst off each day, you should be fine. I wore the soles off mine before I had any notable wear on the fabric itself. Same with my son.

Robo-- several Albergue staff told us that nights in May & June were down to 5 C. They said it was 10 C below normal. Sleeping bag was great to have.

We carried our sticks and backpacks into the Santiago cathedral on June 16, 2014. No one said anything to us. Saw others with packs during services on June 17.

Would NOT do the Camino without a sleeping bag. Many Albergues do NOT have blankets, i.e Roncevalle does not but will sell you a sleeping bag for 64 euros. I lost ten kilos of body fat along the trail that was not there anymore to keep me warm! Nothing beats a good night's sleep and carrying a bag and a ground pad are worth every milligram even if you only use them one night. Go out in your yard for a night with only a liner with no pad and report back on how you slept.

I was sure I was putting on weight when I walked the Camino as I'm addicted to chocolate, Ice creams and cakes, which I needed to keep me going between stages so one day I told my pilgrim family that as I felt I was putting the weight on and as it was to be my birthday the following day, I was going to stop eating all that 'Devil's food' from that moment on. I said this a few miles outside Astorga, which as anyone that's been through there before will know, is Spain's cake capital. The most delicious, big cream cakes could be seen on every street :(. What would I do differently? Keep my big mouth shut!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For my next Camino, I'll leave early (by 7) every day I'm healthy and feeling perky. I waited around a few times too often, and ended my days in greater heat than I would have, had I not started at 8.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Quick, sign up on duolingo.com. Free Spanish lessons at your own pace but make it a quick pace. I regretted not refreshing my one year of high school Spanish before my last walk but I'm doing it now before my next walk.... the Camino Portuguese!

Thank you!!! Saw your post and signed up on duolingo- I'm loving it! What a great way to brush up on my Spanish skills!

And thanks from me too for the duolingo.com reference, I'm really enjoying it. (Though I think I'm only up to a child's storybook level so far - I'm hoping 'The green duck eats white rice" will come in handy somewhere along the way.....);)

hahahaha when are you going ??? I shall remember the phrase and shall reply accordingly :cool: …..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I simply had everything right, my pack was 18kg walked from SJPdP to the lighthouse past Finnesterre in 35 days. I would bring my wife the next time. I was a blessed man from start to finish.

I simply had everything right, my pack was 18kg walked from SJPdP to the lighthouse past Finnesterre in 35 days. I would bring my wife the next time. I was a blessed man from start to finish.
18kg seems like a lot. What is your walking weight? Were you walking in winter?

I would take a day off from walking once per week.

I found it hard to take a day off with the albergues generally wanting you out by 8 AM and not opening doors again till late afternoon. Even places that would allow you to leave a pack ... that still meant being outside walking around when I really wanted to put my feet up.

Wow 18kg! I only carry that kind of weight when I'm walking out bush and that's because I carry my tent, water, all the food I need etc as there are no shops or towns. Self reliant. What did you have in your pack?

I would take a day off from walking once per week.

I found it hard to take a day off with the albergues generally wanting you out by 8 AM and not opening doors again till late afternoon. Even places that would allow you to leave a pack ... that still meant being outside walking around when I really wanted to put my feet up.
One thing I do is try for at least one day off on a trip and that is the day you get a hotel room or b&b so I leave my stuff there to go explore plus it's nice to have at least once a big bed and bath etc. Makes you feel so good.

18kg seems like a lot. What is your walking weight? Were you walking in winter?
I think living in Montana with higher elevations, training for 16 mile days, hunting, snowshoeing & skiing helped a bunch. My weight was 195 starting in France by the time I made it to the ocean I was around 180. After seeing so many folks develop injuries I was afraid to take a day off. I figured as Long as I was healthy I would keep going. After seeing all the ruins of hospitals along the way I thought out of respect to those pilgrims of past, I had no right to snivel. I didn't have to walk home when I got to the ocean. My only 2 cents is show respect for those in the past, if you are healthy walk, don't be taking a bus/taxi or any other transportation we are only going 1 way. For those who have health issues I get it. For those of you that are making it a tourist visit be honest & stay in other accommodations that are for tourists. There are great rewards by simply showing respect.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What differently? I would take a Tazer with a wall mount. I would put it on the wall near the entrance with a sign saying "For use in cases of bag rustling or headlamp flashing".
I'm thinking of a small water gun. I discovered that pointing my headlamp beam at the snorer from my bunk made them rollover but not wake up and stop snoring. I'm wondering if a water gun would work better.

It seems that being a snorer on the Camino is about as socially acceptable as being a smoker 'back in the World'. I gave up the latter 20 years ago but sadly the former is yet to succumb to the sleep centres, doctors and hypnotherapists. .... One of the reasons we'll be 'going private'. The water pistol does sound like a good idea though :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can honestly say that I would not change one single thing. And I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

You have a soul mate here my friend.

I cherish every moment of my first Camino,
the people who befriended and trusted me,
the places I chose to sleep,
the conversations,
the stories, concerns, worries and secrets shared,
the laughing,
the crying,
the sun, rain and winds,
the search for breakfast,
the poorer choices made from some menus,
the churches and other sites visited,
the hills,
the valleys,
the ankle twisting stones paths,
the wild flowers,
the Meseta,
the mountains,
the smiles of my Camino family,
the joy of seeing new-found friends again after a couple of days apart, and
the ache of saying farewell to those new-found friends after weeks together,
the simplicity of being with like-minded people,
the sharing of a bar of chocolate,
the joy of having no expectations,
the freedom of having no plan,
the comfort of being myself without being judged,
the welcome honesty, sometimes brutal, of people starting to understand me,
the things I learned about myself,
the acceptance of how I can become the man I want to be,
the angelic voice of a stranger that led me to tears with the tenderness of his words,
the simple acts of unsolicited kindness by others towards me,
the touch of a hand on my shoulder when I needed it most,
the learning and empathy that came from truly listening once again,
the birdsong,
the reflections of sun upon fast- flowing water,
the deafening silence of deep thinking walkers,
the cacophony of Mother Nature's noise,
the sunrises,
the sunsets,
the comfort of walking in moonlight,
the taking and giving of a look, smile, nod or word of support when needed,
the communal meals,
and The Spirit of The Way.

Buen Camino to the world.

You have a soul mate here my friend.

I cherish every moment of my first Camino,
the people who befriended and trusted me,
the communal meals,
and The Spirit of The Way.

Buen Camino to the world.

Duuuude. This is the "Things I Would Do Differently" thread. You're so At One With Your Camino that you're making the rest of us look inadequate! o_O:p ;)

It seems that being a snorer on the Camino is about as socially acceptable as being a smoker 'back in the World'. I gave up the latter 20 years ago but sadly the former is yet to succumb to the sleep centres, doctors and hypnotherapists. .... One of the reasons we'll be 'going private'. The water pistol does sound like a good idea though :)

Robo, it makes me very cross. People who snore can't help it, they have no control over it, and it is quite inhuman and uncharitable for them to be humiliated and despised. We rightly have stopped making fun of those who are blind or deaf or otherwise incapacitated, we spend public money on their needs and we don't mind if they cause us inconvenience.
I am the first to be amused by the sounds in albergue dorms but when travelling on Camino with my husband we also have been forced into private accommodation. My husband's snoring can bring down the walls of Jericho. I live with it at home by wearing earplugs. I don't understand why others can't.

Robo, it makes me very cross. People who snore can't help it, they have no control over it, and it is quite inhuman and uncharitable for them to be humiliated and despised. We rightly have stopped making fun of those who are blind or deaf or otherwise incapacitated, we spend public money on their needs and we don't mind if they cause us inconvenience.
I am the first to be amused by the sounds in albergue dorms but when travelling on Camino with my husband we also have been forced into private accommodation. My husband's snoring can bring down the walls of Jericho. I live with it at home by wearing earplugs. I don't understand why others can't.
Sorry Kanga, but I beg to differ, your comparison with blind and deaf is a bit strong. Firstly, I believe there are ways to medicate snoring. Secondly, -as Robo said-, snorers joining communal dorms is a bit like smoking in a non-smoking area. Yes, ear plugs, - a must for everyone staying in albergues-, fend-off the noises of light, occasional snorers well enough but don't help much, when you're bunked next to a Jericho-wall shaking type :(. It seems a matter of common curtesy that pathologic snorers should seek private accommodation and to bear the relatively small cost difference for such quarantine. Or, to maybe confront the fellow peregrinos with the predicament and giving them the alternative of chipping-in a coin or two toward the cost.....;).

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back