• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tibial fracture after 600 km on French Camino

Paulo Arantes

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Apr/May 2017
Frances Oct/Nov 2024

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my backpack a bit.

Started off strong from SJPP, had some rest days, dealt with a few blisters, and pushed through some long days over 25 km. Felt the usual pains, nothing out of the ordinary.

Around 450 km in, near Leon, I started feeling a tough pain below my left knee. Then it popped up under my right knee a few days later. Being a physician, I figured it was shin splints. I stretched daily and took it easy on breaks.

But things got rough. After descending the Cruz de Hierro and reaching Molina Seca, the pain hit hard. Took a break, planned for a short walk the next day, but after 3 km, I knew it wouldn't happen. Ended up in Ponferrada, rested for three days.

Thought it was just inflammation from walking, so I started shipping my bag and limiting myself to 15 km a day. Tough going, using my walking poles like crutches, but the Camino spirit kept me going.

Back home, MRI revealed both tibias were fractured. Maybe it happened during those last 200 km.

Planning to walk the Camino Frances again this year (oct/nov), and I'm reflecting on those painful days. Want to remind folks to prepare well, know their route, train up, stretch, pack light, and rest.

Even with broken legs, the Camino was incredible. Can't wait to experience it without fractures this time!

Wishing you all an amazing Camino!Ultreia

And here's a quick rundown on shin splints:

Shin splints, also known as medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS), are a common overuse injury that can lead to tibial stress fractures. Shin splints are caused by pain in the muscles, tendons, and bone tissue around the shin bone, while tibial stress fractures are hairline fractures of the tibia bone. Both shin splints and tibial stress fractures can be caused by repetitive trauma that exceeds the bone's remodeling capacity, resulting in weak bone that's prone to stress fractures.

Shin splints are characterized by:
  • Pain that often occurs over a broad area
  • Pain that usually lessens after warming up
  • Pain that may be more tolerable than pain from a stress fracture
  • Lower leg pain that can range from mild to severe
  • Tenderness to the touch of the shin bone
  • Mild swelling
Tibial stress fractures are characterized by:
  • Gradual onset pain on the inside of the shin
  • Pain that gets worse as you run
  • Pain that persists in a smaller location after you run
Most people recover from shin splints without any long-term health problems with rest and ice. However, if left untreated, shin splints can develop into a tibial stress fracture.

Here are some things you can do to help with shin splints:
  • Use painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen gel (or ibuprofen tablets if you need them) to ease the pain
  • Put an ice pack (or bag of frozen vegetables) in a towel on your shin for up to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours
  • Avoid repetitive exercise of your lower leg for 1 to 2 weeks
  • Keep your activity to just the walking that you do during your regular day
  • Try other low impact activities as long as you do not have pain, such as swimming, elliptical machine, or biking

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Want to remind folks to prepare well, know their route, train up, stretch, pack light, and rest.
Any of us who have experienced injuries on or off the Camino know that your advice is spot on! The only thing that I might add to your list is to also know your limitations and listen to your body. Maybe, and it certainly can be considered an aspect of rest, be careful about how much or far you push yourself. As hard as it might be, include some relatively short walking days on your Camino. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Any of us who have experienced injuries on or off the Camino know that your advice is spot on! The only thing that I might add to your list is to also know your limitations and listen to your body. Maybe, and it certainly can be considered an aspect of rest, be careful about how much or far you push yourself. As hard as it might be, include some relatively short walking days on your Camino. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Sure. I think I just pushed myself on the last 200 km out of ignorance.
It took me 45 days without walking to recover when I got back to my country and they considered I was really lucky. It could have been a lot worse.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yikes! I had bad shin splints when I walked Frances, I had packed a small firm ball to roll out area every day. I thought I had developed stress factures in my feet (base of metatarsals), but thankfully I was wrong.

As always, if you are on Camino you can walk into any pharmacy for topical treatments or prescriptions and they can direct you to a medical center for appropriate diagnosis.

I took JB’s advice on my first Camino which was the French Way and walked at my own pace which I call a purposeful stroll. On the first day over the route Napoleon to Roncesvalles, I took 9 hours. Mind you I stopped a lot and had a very good lunch at Orisson. Also met a pilgrim who’d walked the wrong way for 2 hours so rested with him. By the time I got to Roncesvalles I was too late for that beautiful red stamp but it was a very special and exciting day in extraordinary landscape. Such a great start as after that walk, I never had a problem luckily. The first day really isn’t the day to rush as that’s the day when most people are injured by over exercising. I did the French Way again 4 years later and got the stamp! I’m a great collector! :)

but the Camino spirit kept me going.

Back home, MRI revealed both tibias were fractured. Maybe it happened during those last 200 km.
Seriously? Both tibias??
Wow. And you made it to Santiago?
What an amazing story.

Thank you for the excellent advice, hard-won!
Use painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen gel (or ibuprofen tablets if you need them) to ease the pain
Just don't take too much, if you like your kidneys.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my backpack a bit.

Started off strong from SJPP, had some rest days, dealt with a few blisters, and pushed through some long days over 25 km. Felt the usual pains, nothing out of the ordinary.

Around 450 km in, near Leon, I started feeling a tough pain below my left knee. Then it popped up under my right knee a few days later. Being a physician, I figured it was shin splints. I stretched daily and took it easy on breaks.

But things got rough. After descending the Cruz de Hierro and reaching Molina Seca, the pain hit hard. Took a break, planned for a short walk the next day, but after 3 km, I knew it wouldn't happen. Ended up in Ponferrada, rested for three days.

Thought it was just inflammation from walking, so I started shipping my bag and limiting myself to 15 km a day. Tough going, using my walking poles like crutches, but the Camino spirit kept me going.

Planning to walk the Camino Frances again this year (oct/nov), and I'm reflecting on those painful days. Want to remind folks to prepare well, know their route, train up, stretch, pack light, and rest.

Even with broken legs, the Camino was incredible. Can't wait to experience it without fractures this time!

Shin splints, also known as medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS), are a common overuse injury that can lead to tibial stress fractures. Shin splints are caused by pain in the muscles, tendons, and bone tissue around the shin bone, while tibial stress fractures are hairline fractures of the tibia bone. Both shin splints and tibial stress fractures can be caused by repetitive trauma that exceeds the bone's remodeling capacity, resulting in weak bone that's prone to stress fractures.

• Mild swelling
Most people recover from shin splints without any long-term health problems with rest and ice. However, if left untreated, shin splints can develop into a tibial stress fracture.

• Use painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen gel (or ibuprofen tablets if you need them) to ease the pain
  • Put an ice pack (or bag of frozen vegetables) in a towel on your shin for up to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours
  • Try other low impact activities as long as you do not have pain, such as swimming, elliptical machine, or biking
In 2014 I started experiencing ankle pain near buegos. 2 visits to local clinics, bit no tray, said it was tendinitis. Finished the camino thanks to strapping and ibuprofen. 2 weeks after getting home I went for a scan only to reveal I had a broken ankle. Have done the Frances 5 times since with no problems

• Mild swelling

8 years ago on my first Camino I got shin splint on my left leg. Luckily I had Rock Tape with me which I use for my Planticious Facisious. It worked for me.
Also for me, ignore the fast long daily distance walkers. I set my own pace and daily distance, it worked.

In 2014 I started experiencing ankle pain near buegos. 2 visits to local clinics, bit no tray, said it was tendinitis. Finished the camino thanks to strapping and ibuprofen. 2 weeks after getting home I went for a scan only to reveal I had a broken ankle. Have done the Frances 5 times since with no problems
Wow! Thank goodness no lasting damage! You must have a high pain threshold! Glad you were able to proceed to the route…

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow! Thank goodness no lasting damage! You must have a high pain threshold! Glad you were able to proceed to the route…
Yes hospital here said in Dublin has I presented there. I would jave had surgery to fit a plate and pins, but I was lucky that It was strapped up with bone in right position and had started to set. Sent home on crutches after doing last 400+ km with just my walking poles. I was lucky

It is indeed a wonder how we can push through pain to continue, sometimes increasing the damage. In 2011 while walking the Vía de la Plata I started to have knie pain on day 10 which continued and increased despite anti-inflammatory meds. I didn't do anything particular prior to onset and am a physiotherapist so I continued until by the time I reached Zamora in addition to the right knee I also had left hip pain. I assumed it was caused by walking differently.

After a mandatory rest day in Zamora (the hospitalero insisted) and a visit to a local physio I continued on to Montamarta. Half way I called a fellow pilgrim ahead saying I could not take another step. Just by chance a friend of his was visiting and picked me up by car. The following day, using my walking poles as crutches, I took the bus back to Zamora and made it to the emergency room of a hospital.

I had a spontaneous fracture of my right tibial plateau and pelvic fractures on the left. Long story short, the fractures were caused by undiagnosed osteoporosis. It was quite an adventure in the hospital and subsequent trip in an ambulance to Barajas airport and return flight home on a stretcher. Luckily I speak Spanish!

One year later, after 9 months of rehabilitation (first 3 in a wheelchair), I was back on the Camino and have walked every year since.

Now I'm recovering from a total hip replacement (cartilage damaged 13 years before due to the above fracture resulting in a secondary osteoarthritis). I'm crossing my fingers and hope to walk a Camino this year.

• Mild swelling

During the several caminos I’ve walked, I’ve observed my mind provides the greatest challenge - to walk faster, farther and sooner than my body can handle.
Whether it’s because of the adrenaline that powers everyone early in a Camino or from wanting to ‘keep up’ with an interesting group or from trying to maintain to a certain schedule of x km per day or from the sheer endorphin rush of walking a Camino.
When your body can’t keep up with your mind’s agenda, a vulnerable part of your body will first whisper to you to change your approach by giving you minor ailments. If these signs go unheeded, your body cry out louder until you sustain a serious injury and possibly end your Camino.. too little, too late…

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

• Mild swelling

Thankyou for a very timely and informative post. I would like to share this with my two Camino groups. Blessings.

An easy and effective way to build up supportive muscles that can help avoid shin splints (and it can be done while sitting on your duff while watching a movie or while reading the Camino Forum!):
Sit on a chair, feet flat on floor, knees at 90 degrees. Keeping heel on ground, raise and lower toes as if tapping toes to music. Do this 100 times. You'll start to feel the muscles working on the front lateral shin. Now do another 100. Repeat once or twice a day. Those muscles you feel working will help you avoid shin splints on the trail. 😀

My wife developed a "mild" stress fracture during our first Camino Frances in 2015 in her knee and heal. After returning to the US, her doctor prescribed a knee brace and she bought a different set of hiking shoes (Saloman trail hiking shoes). No issues during our second camino in 2017 or third in 2019. During our 4th CF in 2023, she started developing pain in her right leg which became increasingly worse. By the time we arrived in Palas de Rei she could barely walk. We convinced ourselves that she had shin splints and a leg brace and ibuprofen would allow her to hike the three final days (approx 12 miles each) to Santiago. We made it to Santiago, but limited her walking there. We used a wheelchair to transport her in the airports. When we got home, she immediately went to an orthopedist. The Xray showed she had developed a stress fracture in her right tibia that was almost 4 inches long! She received firm orders to stay off her feet for six weeks and use crutches. Not easy with several grandchildren and two active beagles! Fortunately, no surgery was needed and she's pretty much recovered. We are on a two year cycle hiking the caminos, so last fall I hiked the shorter Camino Portuguese and Cindi stayed home. We are now planning to hike a shorter version of Camino Frances, from Leon to Santiago in the fall of 2025. We will shorten the stages and may take a taxi on a few of the steeper downhill stages. Lesson learned to listen to your body! Bob

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I had no injuries last fall, in spite of getting up from a desk job to walk with zero preparation.

This year, not so lucky. I pulled up lame, on Friday, seems to be tendonitis. I'm camped out in logroño, and finally starting to feel like it's recovering. And happily, the pharmacy has naproxen, time released ,my anti-inflammatory of choice.

I'm going to bus ahead and meet a friend for a slow walk of the last stretch. I'll walk if I can, taxi if I can't.

It just doesn't seem to be the time to walk the full distance.

I had no injuries last fall, in spite of getting up from a desk job to walk with zero preparation.

This year, not so lucky. I pulled up lame, on Friday, seems to be tendonitis. I'm camped out in logroño, and finally starting to feel like it's recovering. And happily, the pharmacy has naproxen, time released ,my anti-inflammatory of choice.

I'm going to bus ahead and meet a friend for a slow walk of the last stretch. I'll walk if I can, taxi if I can't.

It just doesn't seem to be the time to walk the full distance.
Glad you're doing what I should have done!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
I've just finished the walk about a week ago, and hope my experience/mistake can be of some help to future pilgrims. I spent a day or two in Madrid before and after walking the last 100 km to...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...
I’m leaving in 11 days for my CP. I live in California and would not drink tap water unless it’s filtered however I remember drinking from plenty of fountains in Spain. Is it the same in Portugal...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back