• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To chip or not to chip...weighing TravelEx.com travel card vs. AAA.

ourgirl

I'm walking the coastal way of the Camino Portuguese. I've gotten a better deal overall with a AAA travel card than a TravelEx.com card, however, the AAA card does not have a chip in it and the TravelEx.com has a chip in it. I've searched Google maps for ATMs or banks in various coastal cities...they seem to be few and far between...

Advice from anyone with direct experience in finding frequent ATM/bank access along the Portuguese and Spanish coast, would be greatly appreciated. I understand a chip will give me greater flexibility--but if I can get away without a chip, that would help me to not have to correct my current decision. Do you all think this is possible?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm walking the coastal way of the Camino Portuguese. I've gotten a better deal overall with a AAA travel card than a TravelEx.com card, however, the AAA card does not have a chip in it and the TravelEx.com has a chip in it. I've searched Google maps for ATMs or banks in various coastal cities...they seem to be few and far between...

Advice from anyone with direct experience in finding frequent ATM/bank access along the Portuguese and Spanish coast, would be greatly appreciated. I understand a chip will give me greater flexibility--but if I can get away without a chip, that would help me to not have to correct my current decision. Do you all think this is possible?
I donot see the problem.
All distances on the Portuguese coastal are about 20 kms between one place to another.
Because I am going to walk the coastal within 3 weeks from now I was curious about your experiences.
As I start the coastal in Viana do Castelo -we were there last year and found several ATMs in the center as well , in Vila Praia de Âncora,as well in Caminha aswell in A Guarda but I just googled " banco Oia ATM" or banco Baiona ATM " and got several hits with maps where the ATMs are-right in the center of these places.
About your cards -I assume they are American ? - I have no experience but we withdraw cash from every ATM in Europe with our (Dutch) chipped card. A valuable tip here on the forum is only withdraw money from an ATM during weekdays and during the working hours of the bank .if your card will be swallowed by the ATM for one or other reason, they can help you and there is no risk for an obliged stay during the weekend untill the bank is opening again the next mondaymorning.
We withdraw cash every 3 or so days to pay the hostals, restaurants, drinks etc .
Within our travelschedule which will be allmost the same as yours, you easily should encounter ATMs in the bigger places like Porto, Vila do Conde/Póvoa da Varzím, Esposende, Viana do Castelo, Caminha/a Guarda, Oia, Baiona Vigo ,Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis en Padrón before your enter Santiago.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Here's what I have learned about American credit cards in Europe (and I really mean credit cards NOT Debit Cards or ATM cards)

1. European credit cards are Chip & PIN technology. No one signs anything. They use a PIN for EVERY transactions -- Point of sale, cash advance -- everything.
2. For the most part no Chip & PIN cards are available in the US. There are a few credit unions that specialize in US government and military folks who travel and live abroad (the UN Credit Union gets mentioned often). Most of us don't qualify to participate. If you do get a Chip & PIN card.
3. Currently many card providers offer Chip & Signature. These cards cannot be used in Europe in an unattended kiosk (like if you want to claim a train ticket you ordered online or buy one from a machine at a station). But they help a lot since they ensure that you can you your card in the typical card readers present in most European establishments for point of sale transactions. You still have to sign and since the Europeans don't do this signature thing, its not like the US -- my experience is that you sign for EVERY transaction and they often want to check your signature against the signature on the card or against your ID so be prepared to hand over the card even for a 5 euro charge. The further away from the main tourist haunts you get, the bigger an issue this can be as it has been several years since they have had signature cards and some folks who don't see them from tourists don't know what to do with them. If you can get a Chip and Signature it will help and I recommend it.
4. Beware of confusion -- Many US Chip & Signature cards have a PIN or offer a PIN. But if you use the PIN, you will be charged as if you were using your credit card in an ATM machine -- ie you will be charged for a cash advance. Don't confuse this sort of PIN that can come with a Chip & Signature card with the full blown European Chip & PIN. Also be aware that many of the entry level sales people for US credit cards do not understand Chip & PIN. They think the Chip solves all the problems. And they will tell you about the cash advance-type PIN. You really have to do careful research. US banking interests just announced in February 2015 that they are postponing for at least another year full implementation of real Chip & PIN technology. So the chance you will find something outside those few credit unions I mentioned is not very great.
4. Some US cards still have the magnetic strip with no chip. I have not travelled to Europe with one of these in a long time, but my sense is it would be difficult for you. Not sure about this, but I'm guessing that old megantic swibe machines are becoming fewer and further between.

One final bit of credit card advice. Check out whether your card provider charges a foreign transaction fee. This can add up to 3.5% to every single international transaction on the credit card. There are lots of cards around that do not have FTFs -- get one of those!

Buen Camino,

Liz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here's what I have learned about American credit cards in Europe (and I really mean credit cards NOT Debit Cards or ATM cards)

1. European credit cards are Chip & PIN technology. No one signs anything. They use a PIN for EVERY transactions -- Point of sale, cash advance -- everything.
2. For the most part no Chip & PIN cards are available in the US. There are a few credit unions that specialize in US government and military folks who travel and live abroad (the UN Credit Union gets mentioned often). Most of us don't qualify to participate. If you do get a Chip & PIN card.
3. Currently many card providers offer Chip & Signature. These cards cannot be used in Europe in an unattended kiosk (like if you want to claim a train ticket you ordered online or buy one from a machine at a station). But they help a lot since they ensure that you can you your card in the typical card readers present in most European establishments for point of sale transactions. You still have to sign and since the Europeans don't do this signature thing, its not like the US -- my experience is that you sign for EVERY transaction and they often want to check your signature against the signature on the card or against your ID so be prepared to hand over the card even for a 5 euro charge. The further away from the main tourist haunts you get, the bigger an issue this can be as it has been several years since they have had signature cards and some folks who don't see them from tourists don't know what to do with them. If you can get a Chip and Signature it will help and I recommend it.
4. Beware of confusion -- Many US Chip & Signature cards have a PIN or offer a PIN. But if you use the PIN, you will be charged as if you were using your credit card in an ATM machine -- ie you will be charged for a cash advance. Don't confuse this sort of PIN that can come with a Chip & Signature card with the full blown European Chip & PIN. Also be aware that many of the entry level sales people for US credit cards do not understand Chip & PIN. They think the Chip solves all the problems. And they will tell you about the cash advance-type PIN. You really have to do careful research. US banking interests just announced in February 2015 that they are postponing for at least another year full implementation of real Chip & PIN technology. So the chance you will find something outside those few credit unions I mentioned is not very great.
4. Some US cards still have the magnetic strip with no chip. I have not travelled to Europe with one of these in a long time, but my sense is it would be difficult for you. Not sure about this, but I'm guessing that old megantic swibe machines are becoming fewer and further between.

One final bit of credit card advice. Check out whether your card provider charges a foreign transaction fee. This can add up to 3.5% to every single international transaction on the credit card. There are lots of cards around that do not have FTFs -- get one of those!

Buen Camino,

Liz
I have posted numerous comments about this issue on various threads. Liz's commentary is pretty much spot on. The card companies in the US, including AMEX, are way behind the times as far as security measures with their pin and chip technology. I understand that First Data will have converted most of the US cards to the European system by the end of 2015. You can still swipe a card on most readers and should be able to withdraw cash from and ATM with your "old time" PIN, but I would not guarantee it at every machine.
Here is a scary scenario for any pin and chip card that I am dealing with this week. My chip went "muette" over the weekend. That means it does not work and there is absolutely no explanation for the failure, it required going to the bank to request a new card which I must pick up in person with proper ID when I am told it is available. I had become so comfortable with the use of my card that I thought I was invincible, I can not imagine what kind of "sh@%storm" I'd be facing if I was out on the Camino and needed cash from an ATM right now.

Last edited:

Hi , I'm from the Netherlands and we use only chip to pay for stuff . I'm not sure how this works all over Europe . Some meaby use only chip and others swipe your card true a card reader .
I wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

My US credit union offers a pre-paid Visa debit card with chip. I can reload or add funds from any touch tone phone from my US accounts. Of course, I can also reload or add funds over the Internet too.

Using a swipe and sign card in Europe is pretty much limited to some hotel chains and rental car counters. Europeans are BIG on self-service kiosks for almost everything. They ALL use chip and pin technology.

I recommend you call your present credit and debit card issuers / managers to ask for a card with a chip as you travel overseas and their relatively obsolete signature-based card is increasingly becoming a problem. If enough people speak up, the change will happen faster.

My credit union has already announced that all renewal credit cards issued after January 1 will have a chip. I expect a rolling issuance due to the sheer immensity of the logistical problem of the U.S. problem.

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen Camino,

Liz
I am leaving in about three weeks to start my Camino in Lisbon. I was planning on bringing two credit cards and a debit card. (I usually carry two credit cards just in case I one fails I have another for back up.) I was planning on using my debit card for everything, but it is swipe and PIN. Will I have issues with the debit card?

Just as an FYI, I just got off the phone with one of my credit card companies and they only have chip and signature. So I have ordered that. I will be contacting my other credit card company tomorrow. It is a credit union but I don't think they will have chip and PIN either.

Also, thanks to all that leave advice for us newbies. It is much appreciated.

Restless

I find this all interesting. I have not (to date) had any problems with my US issued cards..without chip.
My ATM cards have worked in every machine, with the exception of those not on the same exchange group as my bank. A chipped card would not work in that case either.
Credit cards have continued to work ...except in the stand- alone unattended kiosks.
My last experience was in late September of last year....so all of the problems described above would have to have happened in the last few months.
They are not likely to shut off US tourist business until we get the new cards.
Makes no business sense.

I find this all interesting. I have not (to date) had any problems with my US issued cards..without chip.
My ATM cards have worked in every machine, with the exception of those not on the same exchange group as my bank. A chipped card would not work in that case either.
Credit cards have continued to work ...except in the stand- alone unattended kiosks.
My last experience was in late September of last year....so all of the problems described above would have to have happened in the last few months.
They are not likely to shut off US tourist business until we get the new cards.
Makes no business sense.
Grayland -- All I can say is that you have been lucky.

I write this long message because I think folks need to be cautious as there is a lot of misinformation and confusion out there. Is it true that swipe and signature cards may be fine -- yes. If you have the chance to plan should you rely on them for European travel -- my advice would be not to do so. If you can get a chip and signature card with no foreign transaction fees, I would advise that you should do so. If you are one of the few in the US who can actually get chip and PIN -- you should definitely do so.

First, I want to stress for folks making decisions -- My message above was not about ATM cards. ATM/debit cards are different. I don't know why. I have not researched the ATM situation, but our US ATM/debit cards work fine in cash machines in Europe. I have had no trouble with my ATM card anywhere in Spain or any other European City. And in contrast to the US, many (not all) cash machines in Europe do not charge a fee. ON the Camino we used our ATM/debit card and cash almost exclusively.

It's credit cards where the problem can arise. As far as credit cards are concerned -- I am surprised that a swipe and signature card has not been an issue. That's good but, as I said, lucky!

We lived in Europe for six months from 1/13 through 6/13. Most of the issues we had with our US credit cards were minor. We experienced lots of fumbling and bumbling as vendors have searched for pens or as inexperienced clerks have had to get instructions on what to do with our cards. Those problems are no big deal. In making travel arrangements from within Europe, the problems have been more significant. Part of the problem is that more and more of those "stand-alone unattended kiosks" are being used in Europe. Many smaller bus and train stations have gone totally to unattended kiosks and others have limited the hours where there is an live attendant.

In 2013, in order to travel from Santiago to Angers, France, we had to stay the night in Hendaye because our train from Santiago did not get in until after the attendant was off duty, we couldn't use the kiosk and we needed to claim the SCNF ticket I had reserved online. (For some reason the Renfe folks in both Leon and Santiago would only sell us tickets to "the frontier" at Hendaye!) We had to wait until the next morning when the attendant returned. If we had been able to use a chip and PIN card, we could have claimed the ticket from the kiosk, changed trains at 18:00 and arrived in Angers at 22:00. Instead we missed the evening train and the first train in the morning (it departed before the attendant arrived). We arrived in Angers at 14:00 the next day.

Later in that same trip, our ferry from Denmark to the UK was in an accident and our ferry was cancelled. We were on a tight time schedule as we needed to make our plane from London to the US (we had only 1 day to spare before our visa expired:rolleyes:). I needed to purchase last minute train tickets to get from Denmark to the Hoek van Holland so we could get another ferry. Couldn't use my Chip and signature at the small train station kiosk. Luckily we were visiting friends in Denmark and our Danish hosts bought the tickets for us and we reimbursed them. If we had been on our own, it could have been a serious issue.

Liz

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm sorry I had been away from the forum for a while.

I was discussing debit cards—but I totally appreciate the information about the credit cards. I think this will help me with my decisions.

Liz...I really don't believe that the Spanish economy can afford to cut off all American tourist business because US credit card companies have not converted to chip and pin.
There is, no doubt, some transactions that will not work..primarily stand alone train and ferry type ticket kiosks.
The Spanish still badly need U.S. Tourists.

Most read last week in this forum

I just heard from José Luis of the Via Lusitana that they have opened a pilgrim office in Lisbon. It only opens in the afternoons — every day, from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM. It is a small room in the...
Last night the skies over the Camino Portugués lit up in the most incredible way. It was a mystery to me until I saw the headlines this morning that a meteor had flown overhead. Did anybody else...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back