To take a sleeping bag or not?

Leandra.Scott

Mar 4, 2014
I'm beginning my Camino Sept 3 this year. I would just like to take my 32ltr Deuter backpack & wondering if I really need to take a sleeping bag. I have a liner & I'd just prefer to take that. I'm 58kgs & concerned about carrying too much & also the price if the lightweight sleeping bags, I've heard is very expensive. Thoughts anyone??

Reactions: wayfarer
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
M

Mark Lee

Don't know how cold it gets at night doing the Camino in September, but none of the albergues I stayed in during July and August got so cold at night where a sleeping bag (yeah, the lightweight ones can be expensive) would be an absolute necessity. I would say the liner would work fine. You definitely want to bring if you can a lightweight fleece jacket and if it does get too cold some nights, wear it to bed. Also a lot of the albergues have blankets you can use.
Buen Camino.

W

whariwharangi

I'm beginning my Camino Sept 3 this year. I would just like to take my 32ltr Deuter backpack & wondering if I really need to take a sleeping bag. I have a liner & I'd just prefer to take that. I'm 58kgs & concerned about carrying too much & also the price if the lightweight sleeping bags, I've heard is very expensive. Thoughts anyone??

You need your own bedding. A lot of albergues have blankets and a lot don't. For most of us the solution is a sleeping bag. A down comforter or a Ranger blanket might be a cheaper and perhaps even a lighter solution.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Annie Little

May 11, 2013
Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Sept-Oct 2016
I was wondering the same thing … also going Sept …..feel inclined to leave it behind… I will be taking thermal underwear just in case so I figure that would be enough… I am planning to use private and albergues…. I would rather go light … maybe can buy one along the way if find I need it ..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
D

Deleted member 3000

Honestly, no one knows how warm you like to sleep, so personalized advice on taking a sleeping bag is nearly impossible. I never take one in September. Only rarely have I wanted a blanket during that time of year. Wearing clothes to bed is always an option if you want more warmth, or using your poncho as a blanket.

Katycamino

Jun 19, 2013
Scotland
Camino Frances St Jean to Leon Sept 2013; Leon to Santiago May 2014; Santiago to Muxia and Finisterre Sept 2015; Camino Ingles May 2017
I froze in the albergue last night just before Portomarin and there was snow coming down from O Cebreiro a couple of days ago. I have a silk and fleece liner but so regret not bringing my lightweight sleeping bag.
And that was me sleeping in clothes and with my poncho on top!
It ruins sleep which in turn affects the walking the next day. Bear in mind!

Katy

santiago_67

Aug 13, 2013
Past: Camino Frances, Via de La Plata & Camino Portuguese
Future: Via de la Plata
Your question is very hard to answer - it clearly is "to each his own". Your 32 ltr backpack is even smaller than mine (36.5 ltr) - it was a tight squeeze to get in all my stuff along with my small Marmot sleeping bag, but I like to sleep warm and it was worth the hassle.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

petitewalker

Jan 15, 2014
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Camino Frances (2014 fall), Camino Portuguese (fall 2017)

cherrys

Mar 1, 2013
Ballston Spa NY
Camino Frances Sept/Oct (2013), Finisterre/Muxia Oct (2013), Camino Frances and on to Finisterre Sept/Oct (2016)
Hi - I started Sept. 5 last year, and although had great weather for most of the trip, was glad on several nights I had a lightweight down mummy bag loaned by a friend. Several nights I kicked it off, though. I also took a very lightweight "sheet" as I sweat in a nylon bag, and that worked great. Next time I will take that and am planning on cutting my lightweight non mummy down bag in half and making it into basically a quilt. I don't need a down bag underneath me, so will just take some kind of sheet thing again to sleep on and pull over me and the quilt. I'll let you know in two or three years time how it worked!

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Apr 20, 2013
Aranjuez ( Madrid) Spain
October 2012 Camino Francés Sarria /Santiago.
November 2013 Camino Francés
León to Sarria
June 2014 Camino Francés San Juan Pie de Port to Logroño.
November 2016 Camino Frances ,Logroño to León.
I would say take a light sleeping bag , a 800 grms or similar you might need it if the weather is could at night !
Buen Camino.

Reactions: gerardcarey
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

camino-david

RIP 2020
Apr 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Caminos Frances (x4), Finisterre, Aragon, Via de la Plata, Portuguese 2011 -2015. Hospitalero 2015
I would recommend a lightweight sleeping bag and a liner. I have experienced snow in mid-October (and also May last year) and very cold nights in October. At the beginning of September the liner was sufficient, but by October I definitely needed the sleeping bag. My bag is 600 gms, and I also always use a silk liner with the bag both for hygiene and bedbug protection. The liner, being silk is VERY light. I used a 34 litre backpack the first and second Caminos and a 24 litre pack on my last Camino. The sleeping bag easily fitted in the 34 litre bag, but everything was a tight squeeze for the 24 litre pack

musicagl

Sep 28, 2009
Milton, MA, USA
Part 1 - May 2011
Part 2 - May 2012
Part 3 - June 2014
Finisterre (for mom) Fall 2016
I start in Leon in 4 days (leaving states in 2) and was planning just to bring my liner. But O My -- snow at O'Cebreiro! I may need to rethink and repack and add my lightweight sleeping bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.