Train: Madrid to Sarria

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
You are looking too early. RENFE only publish their timetables and open the website for booking about two months in advance. Give it a couple of weeks and try again. For a rough idea of what is possible trying entering an earlier date - the times aren't likely to change much.

PS. You could also try searching using the Trainline website or app rather than RENFE's own site. A bit more intuitive and it is better at suggesting journeys with a change of train or offering bus alternatives.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Bvarzandeh

Jan 25, 2024
U.S.
Frances - April 2024
You are looking too early. RENFE only publish their timetables and open the website for booking about two months in advance. Give it a couple of weeks and try again. For a rough idea of what is possible trying entering an earlier date - the times aren't likely to change much.

PS. You could also try searching using the Trainline website or app rather than RENFE's own site. A bit more intuitive and it is better at suggesting journeys with a change of train or offering bus alternatives.
thank you. I have checked various site including trainline. will keep checking

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Usually there is one direct train per day from Chamartin station in Madrid to Sarria and it arrives in Sarria the late afternoon. There are other connections which require a change of trains. Last summer due to works on the tracks we disembarked the train at Ourense and were transported the rest of the way by a bus arranged by the Renfe train service.

Keep checking the site periodically. I use Trainline --it will show you routes with connections and it accepts my US credit card which the Renfe site does not.

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
You can also fly into Santiago (early flight on Iberia) and take the bus (company is Monbus) from the Santiago airport to Sarria. There is one direct bus per day that leaves late morning and arrives in Sarria in the early afternoon. This was cheaper than the train when I made the journey last month.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Jan 3, 2017
Lancashire UK
Annually - often more - from 2014
thank you. I have checked various site including trainline. will keep checking
If you register with Trainline (you don’t have to buy from them) you can set an alert when the tickets you want are released for booking. It saves you checking every day.

Reactions: ranthr

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Jan 3, 2017
Lancashire UK
Annually - often more - from 2014
I just tried registering with Trainline and it wouldn't let me! Any reason why this would happen?
Sorry - I’ve already got an ‘account’ so without deleting my cookies I can’t try again. I’m sure someone will have an answer. If you run a VPN many sites don’t like that …

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides