• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Santiago to Porto

Time of past OR future Camino
September, 2023; walking 13 days total.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from Lisbon. It included all the transfers.

Now I can't find a trip back on any of the train websites that includes the transfers. It looks like I have to book them individually. So for example, first leg Santiago to Vigo. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm concerned if I book it that way, there may be nothing available for the next leg.

I can book a bus which is actually shorter, but my husband and I prefer trains whenever possible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also prefer trains, but the trip on the bus is shorter, so I've taken the bus from Santiago to Porto twice. The buses are very comfortable, and the ride is not that long.

I prefer trains, but as they were on strike last year I resorted to the bus from Santiago back to Porto. It was fine. There’s a lavatory on board; have some 50 cent coins just in case you’re on the rare bus where the coin operated lock is operating.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It might be too early to book the train, that usually seems to be a reason when people get stuck on booking. I’ve never taken the train but I think you need to change trains in Vigo, maybe even change stations although I think it’s a few blocks away. Someone else might know for certain. I’ve always taken the bus to Porto, you can arrive at the airport or in the city, Campanha.

It might be too early to book the train, that usually seems to be a reason when people get stuck on booking. I’ve never taken the train but I think you need to change trains in Vigo, maybe even change stations although I think it’s a few blocks away. Someone else might know for certain. I’ve always taken the bus to Porto, you can arrive at the airport or in the city, Campanha.
You might not be able to book the Vigo>Porto part of the trip. It's a weird little train. Collaboratively run by Renfe, the Spanish operator, and CP, the Portuguese one. I know last year we did have to change stations; the Vigo>Porto train was the only one left running through the small railway station down on the waterfront, which had been used temporarily as the main Vigo station while the new one was being built (now operative).

We easily bought tickets in Vigo for the run; my recollection is that we either couldn't, or didn't, buy them in advance, but just before the train ran, first thing in the morning. I believe there's a later train as well.

My sense was that this run was not really considered part of the Spanish rail system, but a bit of an orphan. I think the crew was Portuguese.

If you see a schedule for the run and it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, don't forget that Portugal is an hour earlier, time zone-wise. Same time zone as UK and Ireland.

Here's the CP (Rail Portugal) version of that run's schedule. Note that it says buy the tickets through Renfe.

Bom caminho!

[Edit: I've just tried to book this train through the Renfe website, and the route is not included in their database. Not surprising. As I said, it's not really part of either system. It is due to be replaced with a new highspeed run, now being constructed as part of the first phase of the Portuguese high-speed system.]

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yeah, I wondered if it might be too early. That makes sense. After doing all this research, I think I'm going to stick with the bus; shorter and more direct.

You might not be able to book the Vigo>Porto part of the trip. It's a weird little train. Collaboratively run by Renfe, the Spanish operator, and CP, the Portuguese one. I know last year we did have to change stations; the Vigo>Porto train was the only one left running through the small railway station down on the waterfront, which had been used temporarily as the main Vigo station while the new one was being built (now operative).

We easily bought tickets in Vigo for the run; my recollection is that we either couldn't, or didn't, buy them in advance, but just before the train ran, first thing in the morning. I believe there's a later train as well.

My sense was that this run was not really considered part of the Spanish rail system, but a bit of an orphan. I think the crew was Portuguese.

If you see a schedule for the run and it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, don't forget that Portugal is an hour earlier, time zone-wise. Same time zone as UK and Ireland.

Here's the CP (Rail Portugal) version of that run's schedule. Note that it says buy the tickets through Renfe.

Bom caminho!

[Edit: I've just tried to book this train through the Renfe website, and the route is not included in their database. Not surprising. As I said, it's not really part of either system. It is due to be replaced with a new highspeed run, now being constructed as part of the first phase of the Portuguese high-speed system.]
Ok, thank you; that all makes sense. That perhaps this run is being replaced with a new highspeed run. And I forgot about the time change! Yikes! I ended up booking a bus. I never thought about booking in person though. I think because we are on a schedule to fly out from Lisbon, the idea of booking ahead is probably best. I appreciate your help!

There are 19 trains a day from Santiago to Vigo and only two from Vigo to Porto.
Break your journey in Vigo and catch the convenient timed train to Porto the next day. They depart at 08.58 and 19.56. Journey time is 2hrs 22m. Its a very early start in SDC To catch the 08.58.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are 19 trains a day from Santiago to Vigo and only two from Vigo to Porto.
Break your journey in Vigo and catch the convenient timed train to Porto the next day. They depart at 08.58 and 19.56. Journey time is 2hrs 22m. Its a very early start in SDC To catch the 08.58.
Having taken the train, just from Vigo, I'd say...take the bus the whole way. The Porto long-distance bus station is right next to Porto-Campagna railway station, so you end up in just the same place with way less hassle...and as railway trips go, Vigo>Porto is one of the less interesting ones, I'd say, and an old and tired train.

Last edited:
Interesting! That is good to know, thank you!

Having taken the train, just from Vigo, I'd say...take the bus the whole way. The Porto long-distance bus station is right next to Porto-Campagna railway station, so you end up in just the same place with way less hassle...and as railway trips go, Vigo>Porto is one of the less interesting ones, I'd say, and an old and tired train.
This is excellent advise, thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.