• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation to SJPP

ejg1890

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-Oct 2023
I will be booking my flight tickets to Europe for approximately a September 1 start date. My initial plan is fly into Paris and take a train to SJPP. However from Paris there appears to be only 1 train per day that leaves Paris about 1:30pm arriving at 7:45pm (19:45). This train also appears to sell out quickly. Curious for people flying (or have flown) to Europe, is/was the plan to fly into Paris, Barcelona or Madrid? How do you plan or have your traveled previously to SJPP? It doesn’t seem as easy as I once thought to get to SJPP. Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The train that I'm taking from Paris (Montparnasse station) to Bayonne leaves at 10:08 in the morning, then I connect to a train to SJPdP.

It's possible that the full schedule for your date hasn't been released yet.

The train that I'm taking from Paris (Montparnasse station) to Bayonne leaves at 10:08 in the morning, then I connect to a train to SJPdP.

It's possible that the full schedule for your date hasn't been released yet.
I’m using SCNF Connect website. I selected multiple days between late May and August 31; there only 1 train per day leaves around 2:00pm and arrives around 8:00pm. Montparnasse Station as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok. I see the difference. I had Paris to SJPP. Once I do Bayoone then I get all the options.
There are fewer options when you put in Paris to SJPdP because you need to connect to the train at Bayonne - I see three options for the complete journey.

I flew to Barcelona, train from there to Pamplona (takes a couple of hours) then bus or taxi to SJPP. It was pretty straight forward, and seemed like a great choice when I heard about the issues people I met who also started around the same time as me had getting from Paris to SJPP due to a strike in the French rail system that day / week…

I just looked at the ALSA app- it looks like there is a bus daily at the moment leaving around midday, that takes less than two hours, from Pamplona to SJPP, several trains a day leave both Madrid and Barcelona to Pamplona, although there was not a great deal of choice if you want to arrive to SJPP the same day that you arrive in Spain- you could need to break up the journey somewhere….

Hi eig1890 - a way to consider if you have not yet booked flights I found quite economical - I’m flying from NAmerica west coast as well - and actually am flying direct to Dublin and then getting a direct flight to Biarritz then a short train to SJPD. Good luck! J

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Apart from the train question: are you aware of the fact that starting September 1st is the busiest period of the year? It will be difficult to find a bed in the 'bottleneck' between Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port ans Pamplona unless you make reservations! Much better to start two weeks later.

Last edited:
Apart from the train question: are you aware of the fact that starting September 1st is the busiest period of the year? It will be difficult to find a bed in the 'bottleneck' between Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port ans Pamplona unless you make reservations! Much better to start two weeks later.
Ok. Thanks. I had not realized its the busiest. I had heard June - August, while the should months (April/May and Sept/Oct) are still good weather and fewer crowds. I had planned on reservations for the first several days then see how things progress from there.

. I had not realized its the busiest. I had heard June - August, while the should months (April/May and Sept/Oct) are still good weather and fewer crowds
The summer months are busiest for the Camino routes once you get to Galicia, due to many people wanting to walk the final 100 km to Santiago during their summer holidays, including large church and youth groups. But for starting from SJPdP the beginning of May and September are the busiest.

This graph is a few years old, but it shows the pattern of Pilgrims starting from SJPdP. That highest bar is the first week of September.

2017 sjpdp by week(1).jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back