• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Bayonne to Roncesvalles

vasque

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France September 2012
Camino Frances 2023
I was going to start my journey from SJPDP but read that there is a steep downhill entering Roncesvalles. Bad knee. Thinking of skipping SJPDP and going directly to Roncesvalles from Bayonne. Are there trains or busses that make the trip?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh dear - bad knee!! Peregrinos nightmare!
Start practising using two poles to help you take the weight off your knee and give it a good rub with an ibufuren gel or even strap on an antiinflamtory pad before you start going in the morning.
The best way to get to Roncesvalles from Bayonne would be to continue to St Jean and take bus over the mountain - or a taxi service. At least this way you will get to see something of St Jean!
You should try to have a look at profile maps of the Camino path from Roncevalles so that you are aware of the steep downhill sections between Roncesvalles and the flat plains after the Alto de Perdon. Its a bit like a roller-coaster ride!
From Biscarett you have a short, steep drop to Zubiri (about 400m) then from the Alto to Obanos a really rocky downhill from 800m to 350m. After Estella you climb to Villamyor Monjardin and drop down again to Los Arcos.
I really hope your knee problem eases us before you start your walk.

No, but you can go to Pamplona, then take the bus to Roncesvalles.
BAYONA ver mapa 10:30
BIARRITZ ver mapa 10:45 10:45
AEROPUERTO BIARRITZ ver mapa 11:00 11:15
S.JUAN DE LUZ ver mapa 11:25 11:25
HENDAYA ver mapa 11:40 11:40
SAN SEBASTIAN / DONOSTIA ver mapa Transbordo 12:00 13:30
PAMPLONA ver mapa 14:35
BAYONA ver mapa 16:00
BIARRITZ ver mapa 16:15 16:15
AEROPUERTO BIARRITZ ver mapa 16:30 16:45
S.JUAN DE LUZ ver mapa 16:55 16:55
HENDAYA ver mapa 17:10 17:10
SAN SEBASTIAN / DONOSTIA ver mapa Transbordo 17:30 19:30
PAMPLONA ver mapa 20:30
BAYONA ver mapa 18:00
BIARRITZ ver mapa 18:15 18:15
AEROPUERTO BIARRITZ ver mapa 18:20 18:20
BIDART ver mapa 18:25 18:25
S.JUAN DE LUZ ver mapa 18:30 18:30
HENDAYA ver mapa 18:50 18:50
SAN SEBASTIAN / DONOSTIA ver mapa Transbordo 19:30 21:30
PAMPLONA ver mapa 22:30
BAYONA ver mapa 19:30
BIARRITZ ver mapa 19:45 19:45
AEROPUERTO BIARRITZ ver mapa 20:00 20:15
S.JUAN DE LUZ ver mapa 20:25 20:25
HENDAYA ver mapa 20:40 20:40
SAN SEBASTIAN / DONOSTIA ver mapa Transbodo 21:00 22:00
PAMPLONA ver mapa 23:00
Some of the runs will be ending in August. None is committed past September 30, so you need to check ALSA for changes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back