• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from Washington, DC to SJPP

LexKatherine

Time of past OR future Camino
10/5-16/23; 09/2025
My Blessing and I plan to travel to SJPP to start our Camino Frances in Sept. we walked Sarria to Santiago last Sept. yes, we are hooked, Camino obsessed . We are looking for suggestions as to what airport to fly into from Washington , DC, and what is the best way to get to SJPP.

Also, we are open to our suggestions and advice.

Thank you in advance. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello and welcome
Seems the most popular options are:
Fly to Madrid then make your way to Pamplona and catch the bus to SJPdP next day.
Fly to Paris and take a flight to Biarritz then Express Bouricott to SJ or
take a train from CdG to Bayonne and SJ from there or
make your way to Gare Montparnasse and take a train from there (those of us who prefer this option usually like to stay overnight in Paris but others have done it all in one shot)
To a lesser extend is an option to fly to Barcelona and take a train to Pamplona from there.
The usage of Rome2Rio website is strongly recommended along any other like search engines.
Ultimately you will have to do most of your homework based on many variations specific to your needs and situation.
Good luck and Buen Camino

There are several choices. Biarritz airport is the closest. Many people fly into Madrid or Paris and take a train and/or bus to SJPdP. The Olympics and Paralympics are in Paris this summer, so that could affect transportation.

A "travel to bayonne/biarritz/sjpp" tag has been added to the top of the thread. Click on it to see more threads.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there. I’m also flying from DC to SJPP! I am flying to London from IAD on Aer Lingus for $490 round trip. We have a one hour stop in Dublin. (My daughter studies in London so we’re spending 2 nights with her. This worked out great for us because we were able to book the cheapest flights this way.) Then we fly to Biarritz on Ryanair from Stanstead airport for $150 one-way. (There were cheaper options but this time worked best for us.) When we arrive in Biarritz, we booked the Express Bourricot to SJPP. I picked this option because it’s more convenient and less stressful for us. When we arrive in St. Jean, it’s a short walk to our AirBnB.

We are only walking to Burgos. After the Camino, we are traveling to Morocco so we’ve booked one-way flights from Madrid to Marrakech, and then back to London for the return leg of our flight with Aer Lingus.

Whether you fly to Madrid or Paris, you will probably end up having to spend the night somewhere. It might be cheaper to fly to London. Check out Play or Norse airlines. My daughter has flown them quite a lot to go back and forth from DC to London. No problems ever. Buen camino!

My Blessing and I plan to travel to SJPP to start our Camino Frances in Sept. we walked Sarria to Santiago last Sept. yes, we are hooked, Camino obsessed . We are looking for suggestions as to what airport to fly into from Washington , DC, and what is the best way to get to SJPP.

Also, we are open to our suggestions and advice.

Thank you in advance. Buen Camino
Hi, just like the Camino itself there are many routes to get there. For me, like some on this thread, I flew in to Biarritz, and then took Express Bouricott to SJPDP. It’s easy, stress free, and you’ll start to meet fellow pilgrims immediately. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid ChamartĂ­n early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...
Hello! My name is Molly. I have been wanting to do the camino for YEARS and finally have exactly a one month window later this month, from May 21st to June 21st. I am writing here to see if any of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back