Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling with young children

Jul 4, 2012
Hello All! :D

I have read how the first two days from St Jean are the most challenging. We have talked about this in detail and hope we are prepared. Our plan is to prepare the day before by pre packing food and getting plenty of rest. Our children will be 7 and 9 years old during the Camino. We have been researching information on families that have done it with children and many have used something called the hiking chariot which allows for them to get in and take a break when tired. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64KCpD8PHPo&sns=em

My husband and I are very active and physically fit so we are not concerned about using it. We have been training ourselves physically as we do not want to travel so far and get injured or not be able to finish. Our children are also very active and we have been preparing them by having them partake in some of our smaller hiking days. We are a close family and want them to have the same experience. We are planning on taking more stops than the average person in order to make it more bearable/enjoyable for them.

That being said, we were hoping to leave around August 22nd finishing sometime end of September. We will be purchasing tickets once their passports arrive sometime next week. I know it takes most 33-35 days to finish averaging 25km a day. We are hoping to keep this pace but if not, we are not opposed to take a longer less stressful stay. I have heard that the last two weeks can become very crowded by those that are vaned in and shuttled ahead to hotels. One person mentioned it is almost unwalkable and that another route leaving from Porto would be better for a family. However, we want the route from St Jean as we believe it would serve us better. What are your thoughts on getting hotels during the last two weeks in September? We are not opposed to hostels but I don't believe children are openly accepted and I do not want them to disturb others (even though they are very well behaved, I understand that most are on a spiritual journey and I do not want to disturb them). is it truly difficult to find a place to stay the last two weeks? We have no problem staying in a hotel I just can't reserve as I don't know when we will arrive.

Also, is it possible for us to get one room while in a hotel and how difficult would finding a hotel or B&B be during September. I have heard they can be smaller and may require two rooms. What is the average night stay cost? Since we are unsure how long each day will take us we are going to go at a casual pace and attempt not to worry (but secretly I want a bed for us at night if possible :D ) What are your thoughts?

I hope this is not confusing, we are doing our best to be prepared. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
All the best,
Mandy
From USA

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Mandy,

Certainly it will be easier to find a room on the Camino Frances during September than during August. However, it still will be busy.

In order for you to see the possibilities of non albergue lodging use the Mundicamino website in English for the Camino Frances. The link is here--http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/.
First click The Way of Saint James under Routes on the right. Next move the arrow on the right to each halt and link the Lodging box on the left to see some possibilities. Further clicking each choice will pull up any further web site.

Good luck in your research.

Buen Camino to you and your family,

Margaret

You might also want to read/follow the threads by the user kiwifamily. Their group of 11 (aged, I believe, 6-80) is preparing to walk and a lot of what they've talked about might be of use to you. I would, as much as possible, plan to have your kids walk. Have them go on longer walks with you, not just the shorter ones. Also make sure they train with their backpacks.

Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2011
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
Hi Mandy!

Have you considered starting somewhere like Pamplona, after which you have more accommodation options than starting from SJPP? It might ease the kids into the experience more easily.

And yes, for many it is a spiritual experience and for others less so, but it doesn't mean that people are constantly in reflection. Being able to enjoy each other's company on an equal status, eating and drinking together whether you're a millionaire or a bankrupt (I'm much closer to the latter!) is a spiritual experience for me. We'll all be up and out the next morning at 8am with a backpack helping each other along!

It sounds like your children will be a delight to other pilgrims, and Spain is a very family-friendly country. Build in lots of flexibility, take rest days or buses when someone's had enough etc. It will all still be there when the kids have grown up if you want to do it differently in future.

Buen Camino!

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2011
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
Thetravelingfamily said:
Thank you! All wonderful advice!

As far as times go...is Nov-Dec unbearable? Is April better than winter? Looking for back up times to travel and attempting to miss large crowds without sacrificing good weather :)

Mandy
:D
You just can't tell, unfortunately. The chance of nice weather is certainly better in April (plus longer days so you don't start walking while it's still dark!), but his year it's been cooler and wetter. There will be more people around, but it won't be too busy.

I've only been on the Meseta between Burgos and Leon in December. I was lucky with the weather - it was dry, but with a low mist in the morning. Quite melancholic but beautiful. In the hills there may well be snow or other harsh conditions.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, that part of spain is about the same latitude as NY/Mass and I would not want to walk long distances in either of those places in the middle of winter. Granted, the weather is different given the ocean, but it's still likely to be cold and wet. April would definitely be better than that.

I think you'll be fine in september. I'm walking sept-oct and I think it'll be perfect. I think the crowds aren't going to be so bad that you need to worry about it, particularly if you can afford, and are willing to use, hotels.

Feb 22, 2009
Swiss Valley, Clevedon UK
Thetravelingfamily said:
As far as times go...is Nov-Dec unbearable? :D

Not unbearable, but requiring a bit more planning. I did this route at this time in 2008. There was lots of room in the albergues and those pilgrims I met tended to band together and help each other out. You'll need a few more clothes and a proper sleeping bag. Your best friend will be your hospitalero/a who will nearly always have an update on the weather and will know through their network which albergues are open or closed up ahead - they'll advise you and sometimes they may even source accommodation for you.
We had lots of sunny weather in the first two weeks but after that the downside is really to do with the cold - it's not so much fun eating your lunch sandwiches outside when there's an icy wind cutting through you on the meseta and once or twice there'll be an albergue without any heating. The up-side is the closer camaraderie with those you do meet as you know you're all equally mad and in this together.
The camino is surprisingly well set up to accommodate all kinds of human souls throughout the year. The wonderful people I met and walked with included a 38 year old woman who started from Roncesvalles 12 weeks pregnant (and now has a lovely little girl), a woman in her mid-60s walking from mid -France with a donkey and a mule (Balthazar and Nina), two young men, one of whom has learning difficulties who was being guided by his older brother. A couple who'd walked from Belgium to test their love before marrying (lovely ceremony the following year), a great shaven-headed lug of a guy recovering from brain surgery with the scars to prove it, who savoured every living moment. In Galicia we also met a Korean family with 7 children that i mentioned in another post to kiwifamily. The only guy who gave up mid-way (in snowy conditions at Rabanal) was an individualistic Austrian fellow who insisted on wearing sandals, which was a bit impractical at 5 degrees below zero.
There was snow, cold and rain, but it was the best thing I ever did.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
I have always walked in autumn and/or winter. The welcome at those albergues which are open is most sincere. It may be cold, but bunks are always plentiful! Heated albergues are a plus as is the warm companionship of fellow pilgrims. There may be heavy rain, thick mud, slick ice, or deep snow but the Camino is always an extraordinary experience!

Margaret

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.