Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking Poles as Carry On Baggage

BobMcCall

Jun 25, 2023
United States
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
I have trekking poles that collapse to about two ft long. If they are attached to my back pack will they be permitted to be brought on the plane as carry on luggage? I deplane in Paris CDG airport and have to catch another flight a couple hours later leaving from CDG. I want to avoid having to exit security, go thru customs to go and get check baggage, just to have to go back thru security to catch the next flight. If that’s the case I’ll probably just lane my trekking poles at home. The two airline flights are with different airlines.
Thx!
Bob

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Reactions: BobMcCall
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

BobMcCall

Jun 25, 2023
United States
September 2023
Are your flights all in one through ticket? If so, you won't collect checked bags until your final destination.

Here's a thread about poles on planes that should be used.

Thx! I have concluded that I’m going to leave my trekking poles behind and if I feel that I need them I will purchase a set in Spain. Thx for the input!!

Curt Leiker

thecurtster
Oct 4, 2016
Planning to walk from SJPDP in August (2017)
Poles can be a travel problem alright. We walked in 2018 for the first time with similar concerns. We discovered that there are several luggage services that will send your luggage ahead. We used ‘Luggage Free’ and shipped a large duffel bag with all of our hiking gear, clothes, poles, and boots, to a pilgrim oriented storage business in St John Pied de Port. On arrival swapped out our ‘civilian’ clothes for hiking gear and forwarded that to Ivar in Santiago de Compostela. Problem solved! Just can’t ship anything with lithium batteries in it. That solution had lots of advantages but sure worked well for the main concern of how to get those poles there.

Reactions: henrythedog
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi All - I am a debit card /cash only girl, its just how I live. I transfer X amount of money from a savings on to a debit card and then use my debit card. I've been looking into using the Wise...
Hi all! Have you used Pilgrim.es to plan your Camino? The reviews that I have found make me a bit nervous. Bit I can’t find any other company that will work with my group size. I don’t mind paying...
Hi All, My next leg is from Los Arcos. I'm hoping to go back in Sept and as i will be solo this time and no one to shared transfer costs with im trying to figure out best routes for bus and train...
I saw the list posted with all the transfer companies for different routes, super helpful! What I haven't seen yet is a good estimation tool/reference for budget consideration. Top Santiago has a...
I wanted to share my experience using the luggage forwarding/storage service offered by Casa Ivar. I flew from Dallas to Paris, arriving in Paris on March 29th. I’d requested DHL shipping from...
Hi Everyone, This second Camino seems to be a go, even though I am far from ready! (1st Camino 2016, 2nd attempted 2019, needed surgery then tried for 2020). I still don't have shoes! Lol I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.