• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two Weeks Until Departure, And This Problem Shows Up

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

Now that my ankle is healed, something else just had to take its place. Sigh.

Yesterday, I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. I had noticed a bit of a squishy lump on the lower abdomen and went in to have it checked out. There was no real pain, just a bit of low-level, transient achiness at times. I was suspicious that it would be exactly what it turns out it is. Now I'm being referred to get an appointment to see a surgeon for a full evaluation (sonogram, etc), but there is no way any resolution, in the way of laparoscopic surgery, can be scheduled.... much less be healed in the next 14 days.

So, I'll wait and see if I can keep my plans in place, scheduling surgery upon my return home. I've got a comprehensive medical insurance and medical evacuation insurance plan in place for the Camino. OR have the surgeon tell me that the problem is far advanced enough that waiting is not an option. I'm angry, but there is no place to point a finger or place blame. Stamping one's feet just won't help.

The problem is not with my cancelling... if need be I'll get a full refund on my airfare expense. My son has planned his vacation, purchased airfare, and is looking forward to walking with me for the first ten days. He'll understand, but last year we had to cancel a long-distance backpacking trip together when a personal crises reared its head.

If anyone has experienced an inguinal hernia, any insight is appreciated.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Dave, remind me not to go fishing with you, you seem to have all the bad luck! I don't know anything about your specific condition, but I can say that I have lived with two hernias, courtesy of some extensive abdominal surgery, for years. It used to be three, but I had one of them fixed, and just ignored the other two. They did not slow down my camino at all. See the doc. There is a decent chance that he's going to say "call me if it gets worse", and send you home. Hang in there. You'll get on the trail sooner or later!

Buen Camino (with fingers crossed!)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dave, remind me not to go fishing with you, you seem to have all the bad luck! I don't know anything about your specific condition, but I can say that I have lived with two hernias, courtesy of some extensive abdominal surgery, for years. It used to be three, but I had one of them fixed, and just ignored the other two. They did not slow down my camino at all. See the doc. There is a decent chance that he's going to say "call me if it gets worse", and send you home. Hang in there. You'll get on the trail sooner or later!

Buen Camino (with fingers crossed!)
Thanks, Rick.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dave, hi! I also have an inguinal hernia and have had for a few years now. If you look online you will see that the surgery is not always successful, not at all, so many who have this choose to live with it. What they do is to place a mesh down there but as it is at the join with the top of the leg, as it were, it doesn't always work and if it does it can still fail later.

If it is at the corner of the groin, as it usually is, then the trick is to learn to push it back in! (for a few it is down into the testicles and if so then you need the operation). As long as it doesn't twist there is no actual problem - if it does it is painful and one needs to go to hospital immediately and they will do the surgery straight away - and Spain has one of the best health services in the world, placed eighth I think - America is down at thirty one!!

There are certain foods that make it push out more - rice is the main one, so avoid rice. If you ate only a hunters diet - fat meat and berries - it would never push out .. it is the carbs that make it do so. What is pushing out is part of the lower bowel so if you eat foods that are carb high, and 'fill' those tubes then it will push out more so adjust your diet to be nutrient rich and carb low.

Heavy lifting, and the associated muscles clench, can push it out so those lifting days are gone - and aren't you glad?
So - because of this, pack really light - no, really light! take only what you need and no more, keep the pack light. I recently walked across the Meseta doing first aid and had absolutely no problems whatsoever, just had to push it back in every now and then.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!

The posts from those who know are reassuring...I very much hope you get the go-ahead from the docs! (You may mention if they are 'playing it safe' that you know of others who have walked without incident.)
In the meantime, repack and leave anything you don't absolutely need behind. More than for most of us, every extra ounce will matter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good luck Dave! I've had 2 of those, repaired with Mesh as David suggested. In both cases I was able to function normally pre-surgery.

But get some straight answers from the Docs...... What's the worst case, best case etc.

Fingers crossed that you'll still be on your way mate.

I know what I'd be doing ;)

Oh, dear! Of course, I think that the guys in here have the best advice, as they know how these work.

I will also admit to a bit of the "rogue" mentality that if you can figure out--as has David--how to control the troublesome hernia with diet (NO carbs), I think I would try to carry an exceptionally light pack and go for it. That's just me, however.

As an old lady (ha ha! not old while on Camino, might I add-- I love hanging out with the cool kids of 60's, 70's, 80's--I have a laundry list (albeit short) of physical maladies. I'm not going to poke around too much and ask questions about "what's wrong" before I take off, as I might not like the answer!

As it is, I will be sporting a wrist brace, as I am anticipating surgery in November on DeQuervain's (best look it up if you use hiking sticks, kiddies) Sinotendonitis.

Buen Camino, and remember: if you go to a masseuse, you will get a massage. If you go to the meat store, you'll get meat. If you go to a surgeon....You get the drift.

Be ever so aware of the possible problems with that hernia, and give it its due. However, you can accommodate it in a few ways, and David's advice has been excellent.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dave, hi! I also have an inguinal hernia and have had for a few years now. If you look online you will see that the surgery is not always successful, not at all, so many who have this choose to live with it. What they do is to place a mesh down there but as it is at the join with the top of the leg, as it were, it doesn't always work and if it does it can still fail later.

If it is at the corner of the groin, as it usually is, then the trick is to learn to push it back in! (for a few it is down into the testicles and if so then you need the operation). As long as it doesn't twist there is no actual problem - if it does it is painful and one needs to go to hospital immediately and they will do the surgery straight away - and Spain has one of the best health services in the world, placed eighth I think - America is down at thirty one!!

There are certain foods that make it push out more - rice is the main one, so avoid rice. If you ate only a hunters diet - fat meat and berries - it would never push out .. it is the carbs that make it do so. What is pushing out is part of the lower bowel so if you eat foods that are carb high, and 'fill' those tubes then it will push out more so adjust your diet to be nutrient rich and carb low.

Heavy lifting, and the associated muscles clench, can push it out so those lifting days are gone - and aren't you glad?
So - because of this, pack really light - no, really light! take only what you need and no more, keep the pack light. I recently walked across the Meseta doing first aid and had absolutely no problems whatsoever, just had to push it back in every now and then.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!

Thanks, David. Your insights are very helpful. Packing light is no problem.... pack weight is 7.88 pounds. Plus the weight of water. :)

Oh, dear! Of course, I think that the guys in here have the best advice, as they know how these work.

I will also admit to a bit of the "rogue" mentality that if you can figure out--as has David--how to control the troublesome hernia with diet (NO carbs), I think I would try to carry an exceptionally light pack and go for it. That's just me, however.

As an old lady (ha ha! not old while on Camino, might I add-- I love hanging out with the cool kids of 60's, 70's, 80's--I have a laundry list (albeit short) of physical maladies. I'm not going to poke around too much and ask questions about "what's wrong" before I take off, as I might not like the answer!

As it is, I will be sporting a wrist brace, as I am anticipating surgery in November on DeQuervain's (best look it up if you use hiking sticks, kiddies) Sinotendonitis.

Buen Camino, and remember: if you go to a masseuse, you will get a massage. If you go to the meat store, you'll get meat. If you go to a surgeon....You get the drift.

Be ever so aware of the possible problems with that hernia, and give it its due. However, you can accommodate it in a few ways, and David's advice has been excellent.

Thank you. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I not only "liked", but "loved" all of these many thoughtful replies to Dave's newest potential issue.

Dave, all the best as you sort through your options with the doctor. May your Camino unfold as you have planned it, but should it be postponed for awhile, the path will be patiently waiting for you.

I did eight days on the AT two years ago with a lingual hernia ... About a three inch opening. Pack weight was thirty five pounds.

I had surgery after returning.

My tip ... Pack a couple pair of compression shorts. Nike and Under Armor both held my guts in. The bonus was they were useful post surgery as well. I had no pain and no issues.

I did eight days on the AT two years ago with a lingual hernia ... About a three inch opening. Pack weight was thirty five pounds.

I had surgery after returning.

My tip ... Pack a couple pair of compression shorts. Nike and Under Armor both held my guts in. The bonus was they were useful post surgery as well. I had no pain and no issues.

Thanks for the tip, Owen. I appreciate it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Now that my ankle is healed, something else just had to take its place. Sigh.

Yesterday, I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. I had noticed a bit of a squishy lump on the lower abdomen and went in to have it checked out. There was no real pain, just a bit of low-level, transient achiness at times. I was suspicious that it would be exactly what it turns out it is. Now I'm being referred to get an appointment to see a surgeon for a full evaluation (sonogram, etc), but there is no way any resolution, in the way of laparoscopic surgery, can be scheduled.... much less be healed in the next 14 days.

So, I'll wait and see if I can keep my plans in place, scheduling surgery upon my return home. I've got a comprehensive medical insurance and medical evacuation insurance plan in place for the Camino. OR have the surgeon tell me that the problem is far advanced enough that waiting is not an option. I'm angry, but there is no place to point a finger or place blame. Stamping one's feet just won't help.

The problem is not with my cancelling... if need be I'll get a full refund on my airfare expense. My son has planned his vacation, purchased airfare, and is looking forward to walking with me for the first ten days. He'll understand, but last year we had to cancel a long-distance backpacking trip together when a personal crises reared its head.

If anyone has experienced an inguinal hernia, any insight is appreciated.
I had the same problem when I started my Camino last October. Unfortunately, about 200 miles into my journey I started experiencing pain from the hernia. I picked up some ibuprophen and took it each morning after breakfast and was able to complete my journey, and went on to Muxia and Finistere. Two weeks after returning home I had surgery to repair the hernia and so far so good! See your doctor and accept his advice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...
Big stupid question: what if, in the middle of a stage, I realize I can't really walk anymore? For whatever reason, fatigue, pain, etc. How others have treated this? Are there buses usually...
Hi everyone: I'm hoping to hike the Camino Frances in July/Aug. I would love to, ahead of time, order and ship ahead a pair of my favorite hiking shoes (Hokas) so that, roughly halfway through...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back