• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino VdlP in (almost) real time

Madis

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata, Mar/Apr 2024
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From other pilgrims I have gotten information that roughly 20 pilgrims started both Friday and Saturday.

It seems like the holy week is not as insane for finding accomondation as I was told.

All pilgrims in the albergue I am at finish at either Merida or Salamanca.

It seems like the holy week is not as insane for finding accomondation as I was told.
I don't know where you are, without going to the other social media accounts.

The accommodation situation is mainly insane in popular destination towns for non-pilgrim travellers, especially toward the end of Holy Week. If you are staying in pilgrim-only albergues or in small towns that don't receive so many visitors, you shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3

There are also video format stories visible on both Facebook and Instagram (stories auto-delete after 24h):
https://www.instagram.com/madis.valja?igsh=YnF3cTJtbWo4Yndl

Favorite 10 images of each week I probably also put on Instagram as a Post.
I'd love to follow your progress but don't do f book or install. Why don't you post on the forum every couple of days
Buen Camino

I'd love to follow your progress but don't do f book or install. Why don't you post on the forum every couple of days
Buen Camino
Once I get back home, I will put the daily posts on my blog + compile images to Youtube video + videos to daily Youtube Shorts. Will make make a notification on the forum with links then :)

Once I get back home, I will put the daily posts on my blog + compile images to Youtube video + videos to daily Youtube Shorts. Will make make a notification on the forum with links then :)
Great! Have fun!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3

There are also video format stories visible on both Facebook and Instagram (stories auto-delete after 24h):
https://www.instagram.com/madis.valja?igsh=YnF3cTJtbWo4Yndl

Favorite 10 images of each week I probably also put on Instagram as a Post.
This is a fantastic daily blog with great emotion and great photos. I don’t know how Madis has the time and energy at the end of the day.

It’s not being posted to the forum but I’ve been following the Facebook posts. For anyone starting the VDLP it’s a good read.

I start on my bike on Wednesday.

(And you don’t need to ‘do’ facebook just click on the link)

Last edited:
I finished the VdlP yesterday in Santiago. I went through Astorga tongrt there faster. No pilgrim masses on the Frances. Not even starting from Sarria.

Via de la Plata all the way into Astorga is extremely flat as a Camino. My app tried to convince me there were mountains on the last 80km, I saw only some in the distance. Lots of farmlands you will pass through. Hundreds of cows without a fence between you. I do recommend bringing hiking sticks in case it does rain.

All the alebergues I visited on the VdlP did provide extra blankets. Albergues often even had an electric radiator to dry clothes with.

The distances between albegues and bars are far. You will need to carry a days worhth of food and water on the VdlP with you.

Flying home today. Will get working on my VdlP slideshow video soon. Also, one by one moving my daily FB posts to my blog.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.