• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP two weeks in

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I don’t mean to complain, so I’ll try not to. I’m struggling a bit with the lack of diversity in my fellow pilgrims. Mostly Europeans - Germans, Dutch, French and Spanish. Which wasn’t a surprise because I did my research. But it most definitely isn’t the international group you find up north. My bad for not speaking Spanish. I tried my best studying with my Duolingo app this past year, but that only takes you so far…

The other challenge, or rather the aspect I don't care for too much, is the lack of towns/villages along the way. I don’t mind walking long stages (30km+), but I miss all the villages you walk through on the CF. Here it’s 30km+ of the same thing all day, with barely a spot of shade to stop for lunch at. It’s nice, but endlessly the same.

There are only about 12-14 other pilgrims walking the same stages as me. So not a big bed race, but at times it can be at bit of one, due to the lack of facilities. The albergue is full tonight for example.

On the plus side, I’m sitting in a little tienda writing this. Basically a convenience store, enjoying a large vino tinto. The lady here is happy to keep pouring. I love how chilled they are when it comes to beer and wine. Such a change from Canada. Although speaking of chilled, someone should tell them you don’t need to chill red wine… :)

Thanks for listening. I’m just venting a bit because it wasn’t a great day on the Camino and I’m missing my family and wondering where the magic is that I felt last year on the CF. I know this is just a blip and at some point that magic will return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You are obviously a kind and thoughtful guy Jack, that's obvious from one of your other posts. If you walk, and don't expect, then the Camino will sort things out. The magic is not always in the places you expect, and sometimes the harder you look the less likely you are to find it.
Sometimes the trail can be lonely, that can be true of the CF no matter how many pilgrims surround you. But there's a lesson in that, if you listen to it.
Chin up, and buen Camino.

Ah, thanks for posting this. I’ve been thinking about the VdlP for a few years, and have wondered if I would experience exactly the same. Hang in there, and let us know how it goes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are obviously a kind and thoughtful guy Jack, that's obvious from one of your other posts. If you walk, and don't expect, then the Camino will sort things out. The magic is not always in the places you expect, and sometimes the harder you look the less likely you are to find it.
Sometimes the trail can be lonely, that can be true of the CF no matter how many pilgrims surround you. But there's a lesson in that, if you listen to it.
Chin up, and buen Camino.
Cheers, I appreciate that. I firmly believe there is magic in walking. So I will continue to keep putting one foot in front of the other until I reach the end.

This forum can be so helpful. Not just in terms of practical advice, but also for emotional support. I messaged my wife and a couple friends, but they’ve never walked a Camino so it’s all meaningless to them. It’s helpful having people on this forum that get it.

Ah, thanks for posting this. I’ve been thinking about the VdlP for a few years, and have wondered if I would experience exactly the same. Hang in there, and let us know how it goes.
Please don’t listen too much to my complaints. Likely someone will be posting soon that I’m an idiot and dont know what I’m talking g about. And they’d be right. Today is just a bad day. Tomorrow will also be bad. But the following day will be better (because I have a private room booked :) ). I suspect and I hope that two weeks from now I’ll be singing a very different tune. Stay tuned.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cheers, I appreciate that. I firmly believe there is magic in walking. So I will continue to keep putting one foot in front of the other until I reach the end.

This forum can be so helpful. Not just in terms of practical advice, but also for emotional support. I messaged my wife and a couple friends, but they’ve never walked a Camino so it’s all meaningless to them. It’s helpful having people on this forum that get it.
For sure. I had times on the CF when I was ready to just go home, but each time something would happen or a brief encounter with someone would totally turn my whole day around. The Camino is no different to life in that respect. I am sure this will happen on the VdlP for you at some point, and then you will see why you needed to go through what you currently are.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope you have a better day tomorrow. 🙂

I do understand how you are feeling. I did the camino from Le Puy in France with school girl french and about six English speaking pilgrims. There were plenty of little villages but it was nowhere near as enjoyable as the CF last year. Have you thought about getting on a bus to CF?

Hi @JustJack,
Good to hear from you. You are an experienced pilgrim so you know we all have those days and moments (just as we do at home). Glad you are sharing your thoughts. I know you have been really looking forward to this Camino and I'm sorry you are feeling a little down.

I am going to walk at least part of the VdlP next year by myself and since I have started my Caminos in 2016, I've never not walked with someone else (either my husband or this year with my university students). Here's my options planned for if it just doesn't seem to be working out for me:

1. Take a taxi, bus, or train to another Camino that I think will suit me better
2. Stop walking and do something else (see if I can drum up a gig as a volunteer hospitalera or as an English speaker at an immersive language school or enroll in an intensive Spanish language language course in Salamanca for a couple of weeks.)
3. Have a good cry, call and talk to Phil, and see if it helps

I might have to exercise one or maybe even all three options depending on how things work out. Maybe you need to think about what you could do instead that might make you feel more joyful about your time in Spain. I think its OK if you want to do something else.

In 2018 and 2021, my husband went by himself to Spain for extended periods of time. In 2018, he went to language school for a month in Santiago, then went to a singing workshop for hospitaleros in Ponferrada, then a hospitalero conference in Javier. He walked from Logrono as a pilgrim in December to our assigned albergue at Granon and I met him for our service time there over Christmas and we walked to Burgos after we finished. In 2021, he walked to his albergue (Burgos to Caldazilla de los Hermanillos) and then walked on to Ponferrada after he finished and he was really tired of being a pilgrim and being alone. He applied for a language school gig where he spoke English to Spaniards for 8 days at a resort and after that he went to Spanish language school in Madrid until it was time to come home.

Just some ideas.
Janet

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
On the stone pillars, there are 3 languages. 1st is Spanish of course and the 3rd is Arabic (says road to palata). Anyone know what the second language is?
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere...
First, this was my fourth Camino and was the most consistently beautiful walk I've done. Hilly, varied and so scenic! My daughter and I walked from Puebla de Sanabria to Santiago Apr. 14 - May 2...
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back