• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via di Francesco 🇮🇹

Jean & Claude

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 CF & Fisterra, 2018 VdlP, 2023 CP, 2024 VdiF
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy and will be walking the Via di Francesco from Assisi to Rome (though I wish we had more time so we could start from Florence, but that’s another story.).
I have to admit, for some reason, I am nervous as I dearly hope we won’t be disappointed because this Camino won’t lead us to Santiago. Hmmm, am I being silly - we will be ending this Camino at the Vatican after all…
Just wanted to share … wishing everyone, wherever their Way will lead …. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy and will be walking the Via di Francesco from Assisi to Rome (though I wish we had more time so we could start from Florence, but that’s another story.).
I have to admit, for some reason, I am nervous as I dearly hope we won’t be disappointed because this Camino won’t lead us to Santiago. Hmmm, am I being silly - we will be ending this Camino at the Vatican after all…
Just wanted to share … wishing everyone, wherever their Way will lead …. Buen Camino!
I've done 3 different pilgrimage walks in Italy. Don't expect it to be like in Spain but you’ll have a wonderful experience for other reasons. Not the destination which is a large city, but the journey, food, sites, countryside, history and people.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How exciting! I can't wait to hear more. My husband and I have been dreaming of the Camino de Santiago for years, but recently have shifted our attention to the Via di Francesco. Though I'm not Catholic, I have a more personal connection with Saint Francis as compared to Saint James; my family visited Assisi frequently when I was a child so I know many of the stories about him and Saint Clare.

Last edited:
Enjoy! I loved it, especially the Assisi to Rieti stretch. I hope you’re in good form because your camino will start with a big uphill climb straight out of Assisi!

If you have any questions, shoot.
We've listened to your podcast about the different Camino de Santiago routes you've walked, do you have an episode or series on Via di Francesco?

Enjoy! I loved it, especially the Assisi to Rieti stretch. I hope you’re in good form because your camino will start with a big uphill climb straight out of Assisi!

Thanks so much for your reply, Nick. I have Camino friends who went last year with a group, which is where I got the “bug” to go. (My husband just goes along with me 😉). I’ve read your blog, and thought you stopped at Assisi - I’ll have to go back and find more.
I think we’re relatively fit 60 somethings - we successfully climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in January … can anything be tougher than that 🙃
Only one question … do you recommend boots - for the mountain parts (only) or will my Lone Peaks do (it’s the weight thing …)
You’re a great Camino ambassador - all the best. Jean

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ve read your blog, and thought you stopped at Assisi - I’ll have to go back and find more.
Elle and Rich, who I walked the first part with, stopped at Assisi, and I continued solo to Rome.

Only one question … do you recommend boots - for the mountain parts (only) or will my Lone Peaks do (it’s the weight thing …)
Each to their own but I have never worn boots on a camino. I wear what you might call ‘hiking shoes’ instead, Colombia brand from Decathlon. So I don’t think boots are necessary but if you’re comfortable in boots, go for it.

You’re a great Camino ambassador - all the best. Jean
Thank you! :)

I've done 3 different pilgrimage walks in Italy. Don't expect it to be like in Spain but you’ll have a wonderful experience for other reasons. Not the destination which is a large city, but the journey, food, sites, countryside, history and people.
Thank you Paul 😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think you'll be disappointed - I've completed the Via DiFrancesco in 2 pilgrimages - Florence to Assisi in 2019 and last May Rome to Assisi. If interested, you can take a look at my blog from last year when I walked Rome to Assisi although you're going in the other direction you'll most likely stay in many of the same towns. The Rieti and Spoleto valleys are something special to behold - you'll experience such breathtaking views, beautiful hilltop towns, amazing food and the spirit of Saint Francis is throughout the entire walk. Definitely a different experience than the Camino (I've also done CF, CP) but a pilgrimage in its own right:). Buon Cammino!

I agree the Via di Francesco is a wonderful route, i walked from Florence to Assisi and then Assisi to Rome. I really enjoyed visiting all the places associated with the life of St Francis, especially La Verna and Assisi of course. I love walking in Italy, I'm sure you will have a great time.

I have walked 20 Caminos and several other pilgrimages around the world. I loved Via Francesco and strongly recommend it. Walked Rome to Assisi in 2020 and Florence to Rome in 2022. It was rugged, mountainous, great food, wonderful accommodations and most of all the spirit of Francis was prevalent all along the pilgrimage. Here is a detailed comparison of Via Francesco with the Camino:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will pipe up with one, Nick.

This has been on my list for ages, so when I was in Santiago last week I bought a guidebook from Ivar. And now I wonder if it's doable. Many stages look long and hard, and my last short walk in Spain (the tail-end of the Primitivo from Lugo) gave the sense that age is making once-easy distances much harder. It could just be loss of fitness unrelated to age, I don’t know. But sheesh. The stages on this walk look hard right off the bat.

Are relatively short stages possible (~20km)?
Lack of services between endpoints is no problem, but needing to walk hills and distance at the same time may be.

I have walked 20 Caminos and several other pilgrimages around the world. I loved Via Francesco and strongly recommend it. Walked Rome to Assisi in 2020 and Florence to Rome in 2022. It was rugged, mountainous, great food, wonderful accommodations and most of all the spirit of Francis was prevalent all along the pilgrimage. Here is a detailed comparison of Via Francesco with the Camino:
Kevin, thanks for this - so opportune to read this morning as we leave (Ottawa, Canada) in one short day! We are flying to Florence for 2 days before taking the train to Assisi and start walking from there (it was a time thing…). I booked 2 nights in Assisi so I really hope we will be able to visit the important “St Francis sites”. I thoroughly enjoyed your blog. Thanks again and happy trails 🥾🙃

I agree the Via di Francesco is a wonderful route, i walked from Florence to Assisi and then Assisi to Rome. I really enjoyed visiting all the places associated with the life of St Francis, especially La Verna and Assisi of course. I love walking in Italy, I'm sure you will have a great time.
Thank you for this, we’re leaving tomorrow 🥾🙃 … getting excited!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't think you'll be disappointed - I've completed the Via DiFrancesco in 2 pilgrimages - Florence to Assisi in 2019 and last May Rome to Assisi. If interested, you can take a look at my blog from last year when I walked Rome to Assisi although you're going in the other direction you'll most likely stay in many of the same towns. The Rieti and Spoleto valleys are something special to behold - you'll experience such breathtaking views, beautiful hilltop towns, amazing food and the spirit of Saint Francis is throughout the entire walk. Definitely a different experience than the Camino (I've also done CF, CP) but a pilgrimage in its own right:). Buon Cammino!
Thank you DM - loved reading your blog! The excitement is building 🙃

I will pipe up with one, Nick.

This has been on my list for ages, so when I was in Santiago last week I bought a guidebook from Ivar. And now I wonder if it's doable. Many stages look long and hard, and my last short walk in Spain (the tail-end of the Primitivo from Lugo) gave the sense that age is making once-easy distances much harder. It could just be loss of fitness unrelated to age, I don’t know. But sheesh. The stages on this walk look hard right off the bat.

Are relatively short stages possible (~20km)?
Lack of services between endpoints is no problem, but needing to walk hills and distance at the same time may be.
On the ‘distance-elevation problem scale’, I’d say the bigger issue by a fair way is elevation. There are a lot of ups and downs on the VdF. IIRC, I did 7-8 stages of approx 1000m ascent and the same in descent. Obviously shorter stages would lessen that a bit. But the overall ascent from La Verna to Rome was something like 14,000m and there’s no getting around that!

I think short stages are pretty manageable. There are usually intermediate villages, and often agriturismo places on the camino where you can stay without even needing a village (a good trick). @Elle Bieling has an accommodation map/file for the VdF which would be great for planning out stages.

Honestly, I loved the VdF. I think it’s my second favourite pilgrimage walk after the Nascente. So if you can manage the hills, the rewards are certainly there. As mentioned before, Assisi to Rieti was my favourite stretch.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.