• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vilalba to Miraz tomorrow - good idea or bad idea?

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello all,

Greetings from Vilalba. 23 days on the Norte, from Irun to here. So, I expect to make Santiago on Friday, late physical issues aside. 27 days may seem a little fast, but my flight home is on Saturday, and I decided back in Bilbao that I was going to 'go for it'. I don't feel like I've lost out in experience terms, though certainly I might have preferred to take a few more days than I have.

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. The point is, I'm debating the merits of going as far as Baamonde or Miraz tomorrow. In some ways, it's a moot point, as I'll be stopping at Sobrado dos Monxes on Wednesday, no matter where I stop tomorrow, but heading there from Baamonde would be a 40km day, something I know my body would rather not do at this point. I can do it, no doubt, but I'd prefer not to have to!

Miraz, though, is famous for the pilgrim bottleneck. It's reasonably busy on the Norte at the moment, not wildly so, but plenty bodies nonetheless. So, starting from Vilalba tomorrow, even with an early escape, how likely am I to find either a big queue if I get there before 4pm or a completo sign if I arrive any later?

And bearing in mind that a pilgrim who reaches Miraz really doesn't have any other options bar the albergue, how likely is it that you would be turned away?

Thanks in advance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there are two other albergues now on the Baamonde- Sabrado dox Monxes stretch, one about 10 km after Baamonde and the other 11 after miraz, both private, you may be able to book. Eroski Camino Norte has contact details.

If you want to stay at Miraz tomorrow then its on the day that people who want to walk scheduled etapas and arrive in Santiago on a saturday will be there so it could be busy.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
That is excellent news. I've been growling at my guidebook when trying to plan these next couple of days. From here to Baamonde would be the shortest distance of my Camino, which would go against the grain a little bit at this point.

The ideal compromise would be to go beyond Baamonde and take a few kms out of the walk to Sobrado dos Monxes. That now looks like exactly what I'll be able to do. Brilliant!

Thanks again!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would give them a ring tonight, if it is busy they may book out quickly.

Buen Camino

I would give them a ring tonight, if it is busy they may book out quickly.

Buen Camino

Sound advice. I made the call, but they're completo for tomorrow already. I'm not usually one for booking ahead anyway, so in an odd way, I'm pleased. What I couldn't establish with my limited Spanish was if they're 100% completo or if they hold back a few bunks for random pilgrims who walk up. I'd like to think it's the latter, but I won't be chancing it.

All things considered, I think Baamonde is the best option for me for tomorrow. It may be a little shorter than I'd like for a short day, but I suppose I can start a little later than usual and take my time. As for the 40km day on Wednesday, well, I guess the key will be to start early. The upside is there will be loads of beds at the end of the line, so I suppose I'm removing any possibility of bunk-related anxiety by doing it this way.

Thanks again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a swimming area/river about a km away from the albergue in Baamonde, the hospitalero told my Spanish walking companions who in turn informed yours truly. Nice little grass area with a small weir type wall which a few people jumped off and generally spent the day frolicking.

Its not a hard walk to Sabrado terrain wise, its just the length which wil stretch out. Possibly 5 or 6 places to stop and have a coffee and snack all along the route.

Good Luck

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all,

Greetings from Vilalba. 23 days on the Norte, from Irun to here. So, I expect to make Santiago on Friday, late physical issues aside. 27 days may seem a little fast, but my flight home is on Saturday, and I decided back in Bilbao that I was going to 'go for it'. I don't feel like I've lost out in experience terms, though certainly I might have preferred to take a few more days than I have.

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. The point is, I'm debating the merits of going as far as Baamonde or Miraz tomorrow. In some ways, it's a moot point, as I'll be stopping at Sobrado dos Monxes on Wednesday, no matter where I stop tomorrow, but heading there from Baamonde would be a 40km day, something I know my body would rather not do at this point. I can do it, no doubt, but I'd prefer not to have to!

Miraz, though, is famous for the pilgrim bottleneck. It's reasonably busy on the Norte at the moment, not wildly so, but plenty bodies nonetheless. So, starting from Vilalba tomorrow, even with an early escape, how likely am I to find either a big queue if I get there before 4pm or a completo sign if I arrive any later?

And bearing in mind that a pilgrim who reaches Miraz really doesn't have any other options bar the albergue, how likely is it that you would be turned away?

Thanks in advance!

Mark2012:

The walk to Miraz from Vilalba is about 35 km's. The Albergue in Miraz holds around 25. Baamonde has a very large albergue. Last year there were two options after Miraz. A small place run by a woman up the road about 10 km's or an off piste place that will pick you up and drop you off somewhere past Miraz. The information is posted in the bar.

I would base my decision on the weather. If it is a rainy day I would stop in Baamonde. If nice take my chances on Miraz. If you go on to Miraz be sure to stop in Baamonde and buy your supper to cook in Miraz otherwise it will be a sandwich at the bar. The walk from Miraz to the monastery is a nice one.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

We are cycling and are two people, currently in Santander. We ideally want to book a double room. However we are finding the prices shown on Gronze are sometimes substantially higher when we make...
We are about to start our first Camino tomorrow morning and, after much getting lost, we are relaxing on our very comfortable beds at Hotel Urdanibia Park. My question is, do we start from where...
I just want to share with you, This Friday I will be off to CDN. It's very special because I have cancelled it twice in the past due to events out of my control. This will be my first Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back