• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to identify good private albergues that I can use to have my backpack transported

kwinward

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024-Norte and Primitive
Hello,
I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be able to find a good resource identifying the private Alberques along these routes. I downloaded Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim apps and have looked on Gronze but have mostly only been able to find Hostels and Hotels (maybe I am doing something wrong). Does anyone have a good resource listing the private Albergues (especially ones that will allow the delivery of backpacks)?

One more question, I plan to leave the Norte route at Gijon. What is the best way to get from Gijon to Oviedo to start the primitive trail and will Correos transport a backpack from Gijon to Oviedo?

Thanks so much.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The transport agencies will have a list of places that accept bags. You can usually see on their websites where you can have your bag transferred. Correos has a drop-down menu by town you can search, then book.

Last edited:
Besides the first week of hiking, one of the hardest challenges I found with these trails was how much I had to prebook accommodation. It’s very touristy (Norte) so you aren’t just competing with pilgrims but surfers too. I felt, but maybe I was paranoid, I had to book days in advance the whole way and that in itself was exhausting. I’m doing the Frances again this year just so I can relax trust the Camino will provide. So much infrastructure the entire way, what a peace of mind. I’m sure I would’ve been fine showing up on the Norte wherever I landed but there were times I felt super smart to have pre booked when I saw others being turned away â˜č For me the Norte and Primitivo made a planner out of me and while they were the most stunning and beautiful caminos I’ve ever hiked, I didn’t enjoy the planning every evening after an exhausting day of hiking. If I were you, I’d prebook what you can (according Gronze reviews) for the first week and go from there when you know what daily kilometers are doable for you. 25 Km on the Norte is way different than 25 Km on the France’s or Portuguese. First week is HARD. Prebook so you don’t even have to think about it. Buen Camino! đŸ™đŸ»â€ïž

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Besides the first week of hiking, one of the hardest challenges I found with these trails was how much I had to prebook accommodation. It’s very touristy (Norte) so you aren’t just competing with pilgrims but surfers too. I felt, but maybe I was paranoid, I had to book days in advance the whole way and that in itself was exhausting. I’m doing the Frances again this year just so I can relax trust the Camino will provide. So much infrastructure the entire way, what a peace of mind. I’m sure I would’ve been fine showing up on the Norte wherever I landed but there were times I felt super smart to have pre booked when I saw others being turned away â˜č For me the Norte and Primitivo made a planner out of me and while they were the most stunning and beautiful caminos I’ve ever hiked, I didn’t enjoy the planning every evening after an exhausting day of hiking. If I were you, I’d prebook what you can (according Gronze reviews) for the first week and go from there when you know what daily kilometers are doable for you. 25 Km on the Norte is way different than 25 Km on the France’s or Portuguese. First week is HARD. Prebook so you don’t even have to think about it. Buen Camino! đŸ™đŸ»â€ïž
I’d recommend Correos if you plan the whole way in advance but I used some local transporters at times and have contact info if you’d like.

a good resource identifying the private Alberques along these routes.
Gronze does exactly that. It lists the towns and villages with all the accommodation including hotels and albergues both private or public with prices, so I think you might not be using it properly. Maybe try again? The baggage transfer companies will deliver to any private albergue and as Gijon and Ovideo are both on camino routes, that shouldnÂŽt be a problem.

If you use Correos for pack transport you can look at their site to see which places they pick up and drop off to.

Just curious as to why you will leave the Norte at GijĂłn instead of Villaviciosa. There is a connector route there to Oviedo and the Primitivo.

However, you can also walk from Avilés (the next stage after Gijón) to Oviedo in one day. I walked that route in the opposite direction in 2019.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you use Correos for pack transport you can look at their site to see which places they pick up and drop off to.

Just curious as to why you will leave the Norte at GijĂłn instead of Villaviciosa. There is a connector route there to Oviedo and the Primitivo.

However, you can also walk from Avilés (the next stage after Gijón) to Oviedo in one day. I walked that route in the opposite direction in 2019.
Thank you so much. I was not aware of the other options for joining the Primitive route. I will definitely look into them.

I have used Buen Camino for 5+ years and have found it’s listing of pilgrim accommodations to be quite thorough - perhaps you are not understanding how the albergue system is set up on these lesser-walked routes? It’s not like the CF where the housing options are almost endless, so maybe your expectations are too high as to the support you will have on the Norte.

Perhaps list a town or two where you were thinking of staying and I’ll explain what I am seeing as bed possibilities to be sure you are seeing the listing the same way that I am.

I have used Buen Camino for 5+ years and have found it’s listing of pilgrim accommodations to be quite thorough - perhaps you are not understanding how the albergue system is set up on these lesser-walked routes? It’s not like the CF where the housing options are almost endless, so maybe your expectations are too high as to the support you will have on the Norte.

Perhaps list a town or two where you were thinking of staying and I’ll explain what I am seeing as bed possibilities to be sure you are seeing the listing the same way that I am.
Thank you for your willingness to assist. I am looking for an albergue in Irun. Buen Camino lists 1 public Hostel, 1 apartment, 6 boarding houses and 2 hotels. Are there no private Albergues in Irun?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your willingness to assist. I am looking for an albergue in Irun. Buen Camino lists 1 public Hostel, 1 apartment, 6 boarding houses and 2 hotels. Are there no private Albergues in Irun?
I also took a look and this seems correct. There are no private albergues in Irun.

You could just stay at the public then drop your pack for pick up at one of the places listed by Correos if that is a possibility? You’d have to ask of course if this was possible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some albergues require that you are carrying your pack.
That is why i said she should ask. I stayed at private and had a pick up, then next night a public and the Correos dropped my pack at a nearby bar. I just had to go around the corner for it. So I got a coffee.

That is why i said she should ask. I stayed at private and had a pick up, then next night a public and the Correos dropped my pack at a nearby bar. I just had to go around the corner for it. So I got a coffee.
What I mean is if the hospitalero finds put you are not carrying your bag, they won't let you have a bed even if the bag is delivered elsewhere.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What I mean is if the hospitalero finds put you are not carrying your bag, they won't let you have a bed even if the bag is delivered elsewhere.
I carried my bag to the public in Irun had a bunk. In the morning I pack up and leave having made arrangement to have it picked up at a bar nearby where I drop it before walking. I book a private albergue for the next night and it is delivered there. Is this not reasonably clear. I carry it to the drop off point from the public albergue. Theoretically there will be adequate private albergues after that for pick up and delivery not to be a problem. I had to do this on the Primitivo For an injury and I never had a problem.

I’d recommend Correos if you plan the whole way in advance but I used some local transporters at times and have contact info if you’d like.
I recommend Pulbeo for baggage transport. The are online. Great service and not expensive. I can't remember how I made reservations for the San Salvador and Primitivo but I didn't have a problem;/ Try booking.com. When you get a place call them directly. On the San Salvador in Poladura is the best albergue ever. El Embrujo. Private rooms and includes dinner with wine.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back