• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Virgin Pilgrims 21st Feb 2012, Help request.

Farquary

Hola Pilgrims, on Feb 21st 2012 we will be walking for 10 days from Ponferrada. Never walked any part of the Camino before. We are looking for any tips available, especially about winter walking. Will the Albergue be open? We have tents, just in case, but will it be to cold in high places like O'Cebreiro? Our spanish is not to good, do many people along these parts speak English? Just how cold can we expect it to be, snow? Any tips very welcome, por favor, Gracias.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola

A couple of years ago I walked from Ponferrada over new year. There have also been reports since then. The albergues will be open and well heated in my experience. I would advise you to leave the tent at home - it is extra weight and the weather may very well be adverse. It will be cold especially when you are crossing the mountain - it may very well be snowy too. You will need to be able to layer your clothes with a good base, mid and outer layer + rain shell. In my experience ponchos are not the best in that it can be windy too - but if using a poncho you will need waterproof trousers too. Gaiters are a great help in the snow.

As I've said the albergues will be open - check in Ponferrada before departure what is open ahead of you just to be sure.

Pack light, pack for warmth, be careful with the weather and all will be well.

Enjoy.

John

do many people along these parts speak English?
No. You will communicate just fine with hand gestures, smiles, and a few words of Spanish, but do not expect anyone to be able to carry on a conversation in English except some fellow pilgrims. Remember, louder is not clearer. When there is a lack of mutual understanding, just smile and back out of the conversation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To echo what Johnnie said, I walked Sarria to SdC in December 2010. The municipal albergues were open though many of the private ones were shut. The one exception was Ligonde. It was necessary to walk a short distance further to Eirexe if you wanted to stay in that part of the world. The bar opposite the refugio was open.

The main pilgrim albergue in SdC, the seminor minor, doesn't usually open till the beginning of March but the touirst office at Rua do Vilar can offer plenty of alternatives.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.